John DeFilippo = QB coach

ASHKUM BEAR

38 minutes ago, adam said:

Foles connection both in Philly and Jacksonville. Crazy to think he was getting some consideration as a HC and we now have him on staff as a QB Coach. Not bad.

I feel these coaches need to be de-flipped, DeFilippo OC and Lazor QB coach. 

I like some of these moves.  New minds to prepare the players. Could make a difference or could backfire? 

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I feel these coaches need to be de-flipped, DeFilippo OC and Lazor QB coach. 

I like some of these moves.  New minds to prepare the players. Could make a difference or could backfire? 

A bit of research about DeFilippo's stint as an OC...  it didn't go so well even with his star pupil.  DeFillipo may yet end up a good OC but he might not have been ready for the role.  Leading an entire offensive unit with all the various position groups, and their coaches,  is a lot different from being a QB coach.  Most coaching careers go this route.  I'm happy to have him in this role because he knows the system which means he's able to coach Trubisky from day one whereas Ragone had to go through offensive boot camp with Nagy.   

https://www.forbes.com/sites/debbitaylor/2020/01/13/jaguars-part-ways-with-offensive-coordinator-john-defilippo/#5b73a2245c79

DeFilippo joined the Jaguars last January before coveted free agent quarterback Nick Foles was signed by the team last March. Before coming to Jacksonville, DeFilippo was the Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator until he was let go in December of 2018. Prior to that he was the Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks’ coach who helped the team win Super Bowl LII. Foles notably earned Super Bowl LII honors that year. The two were reunited in Jacksonville but Foles suffered a Week 1 injury and later when healthy he was unable to lead the Jaguars into the win column. He was 0-6 as a starter. Rookie Gardner Minshew would finish the season as the starter with a 6-6 record while starting. Head coach Doug Marrone has left the position open for 2020.

14 hours ago, AZ54 said:

A bit of research about DeFilippo's stint as an OC...  it didn't go so well even with his star pupil.  DeFillipo may yet end up a good OC but he might not have been ready for the role.  Leading an entire offensive unit with all the various position groups, and their coaches,  is a lot different from being a QB coach.  Most coaching careers go this route.  I'm happy to have him in this role because he knows the system which means he's able to coach Trubisky from day one whereas Ragone had to go through offensive boot camp with Nagy.   

https://www.forbes.com/sites/debbitaylor/2020/01/13/jaguars-part-ways-with-offensive-coordinator-john-defilippo/#5b73a2245c79

DeFilippo joined the Jaguars last January before coveted free agent quarterback Nick Foles was signed by the team last March. Before coming to Jacksonville, DeFilippo was the Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator until he was let go in December of 2018. Prior to that he was the Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks’ coach who helped the team win Super Bowl LII. Foles notably earned Super Bowl LII honors that year. The two were reunited in Jacksonville but Foles suffered a Week 1 injury and later when healthy he was unable to lead the Jaguars into the win column. He was 0-6 as a starter. Rookie Gardner Minshew would finish the season as the starter with a 6-6 record while starting. Head coach Doug Marrone has left the position open for 2020.

Thanks for this.

The score station reported this morning how he is a great QB coach especially with mechanics 🛠⚙. Wentz played his best football when he was his QB coach.  Hoping he can get MT playing his best ball too.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

We can only hope.  Lots of stats and stuff.  Read someones opinion that thought Mitch might of had too many voices in his head this year.  KISS. That for me

That's my hope too.  Drop back and when you get to your plant step, drive the ball, run or throw it away.  Repeat...

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's my hope too.  Drop back and when you get to your plant step, drive the ball, run or throw it away.  Repeat...

I thought we wanted Mitch to read defenses?  I for one prefer to have him hit his plant foot and do one of two things:  Throw or know he needs to move on to his second read.  I'd also like him to have enough time in the pocket to do that.  

Similar to the hiring of Lazor, I wasn't too keen on the hire of DeFlip.  I remember last season (2018) when he was hired as the OC for Minnesota then promptly fired a few weeks before the end of the season. Since reading up on that I found that Zimmer got rid of him to give his team a chance at a wild card spot as they were, for all intents and purposes, still in control of their destiny.  As most of you recall, that was not a particularly good year for Cousins (when measured to how well Keenum did the year prior and how well this most recent version of Cousins did - and both under different OC's not named DeFillipo).  Then before he made his way to Minnesota he was the QB coach for Philly.  And a story I read about that said something regarding Coach Pedersen reluctant in him coming back after he was let go by Minnesota (I didn't see why that was but in full disclosure saw that Philly was looking at him before Chicago snatched him up).  Then there is the abrupt hiring this year from Jacksonville.  

It seems all the bad trends with DeFlip have to do with him as an OC, not necessarily as a QB coach.  So maybe he'll be better back as a QB coach with Chicago.  One knock on him that we need to know going ahead is that he is an Air Coryell type guy (one reason he didn't stick in other places) and didn't like the run as much - where have we heard that before?   But again, if he's solely focused on making Trubisky better as a QB ok, maybe it'll work.  

One thing is for certain, IF the hiring of all these guys is to make Trubisky better and he doesn't get better...he'll have run out of excuses.  

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I thought we wanted Mitch to read defenses?  I for one prefer to have him hit his plant foot and do one of two things:  Throw or know he needs to move on to his second read.  I'd also like him to have enough time in the pocket to do that.  

Of course.  Honestly, when he hits his plant step the first read should already be decided.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Of course.  Honestly, when he hits his plant step the first read should already be decided.

Absolutely.  In fact, in order to be able to trust your QB he should be able to read the defense as he sets the offense at the line.  That way he can call an audible (or timeout) if he thinks something better than  the called play will work.  

Trubusky hasn’t quite gotten that down yet (but improving).  Cutler never did.  

My understand is Mitch has not gotten to the point of understanding def.schemes based on this off.  Thats why he wants to be able to roll out to one side of the field and cut down his reads by half.  The top QB's such as Brady. Rogers, Mahomes, and a few others know what the def. is trying to limit there off.  When the def. has shut down his reads at the line of scrimmage he needs a great TE that allows him to bail.  He doesn't seem to be able to confuse the def. and make them respond to him instead of vice versa.  He locks onto his first or at most his 2nd read and that allow the Def to stop this off. He has all the tools and arm to make all the throws in the NFL he just doesn't understand how to win the mental scheme game.  And like Mahomes, Rogers, and Watson he can't become a flag football QB.  This off. doesn't  have the weapons like they do nor does he have the baseball like throwing skills to make plays all over the field.  He needs all the mechanics in order before he makes a throw.  Perhaps this year he will become like Garopalo and be a good system QB and allow the running game and def help his short comings.  I don't think he will ever be a QB that makes up for all that a def. takes away from him. 

Ramble on old man. 

4 hours ago, Bill said:

My understand is Mitch has not gotten to the point of understanding def.schemes based on this off.  Thats why he wants to be able to roll out to one side of the field and cut down his reads by half.  The top QB's such as Brady. Rogers, Mahomes, and a few others know what the def. is trying to limit there off.  When the def. has shut down his reads at the line of scrimmage he needs a great TE that allows him to bail.  He doesn't seem to be able to confuse the def. and make them respond to him instead of vice versa.  He locks onto his first or at most his 2nd read and that allow the Def to stop this off. He has all the tools and arm to make all the throws in the NFL he just doesn't understand how to win the mental scheme game.  And like Mahomes, Rogers, and Watson he can't become a flag football QB.  This off. doesn't  have the weapons like they do nor does he have the baseball like throwing skills to make plays all over the field.  He needs all the mechanics in order before he makes a throw.  Perhaps this year he will become like Garopalo and be a good system QB and allow the running game and def help his short comings.  I don't think he will ever be a QB that makes up for all that a def. takes away from him. 

Ramble on old man. 

For KC defenses are trying to limit big plays.  Average separation for KC receivers at time of completion is first in the league at 3.8 yards.  

Hard to keep close with KC receivers when they know Mahomes can reach them from anywhere, even if he's standing on his head.  Rogers made a few throws last week that are just hard to believe the touch and accuracy he had.  Things of beauty.  Ugg I just throwed up in my mouth.