2nd Round Mocks

adam

Here is one from Walter Football:

43. Chicago Bears: Terrell Lewis, DE/OLB, Alabama 
The Bears need some edge-rushing depth, especially considering that Leonard Floyd will be entering free agency soon.

Terrell Lewis was once a staple of my 2019 NFL Mock Draft, but he returned to school after an injury-plagued 2018 campaign.

50. Chicago Bears: Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU 
The Bears could add another receiver to start across from Allen Robinson.

Jalen Reagor is a blazing-fast receiver who can go the distance whenever he touches the ball.

So Edge and WR? Lewis was ranked #49 in Jeremiah's top 50, and Reagor was not listed. I understand the thought process, but we seem to have bigger holes to fill than Edge and WR. To me, TE and OL, and even SS seem higher.

36 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I like both of them and may be the lone proponent of a blazing fast wr.  IMO, it's more important than TE.  Burton will be back along with Horsted and Holtz.  We can even use Patterson in a pinch.  Kansas City has 3 or 4 guys faster than our fastest and it shows.

Blazing speed at wr would be nice, but fixing the oline and establishing a run game are just as critical. They signed undrafted fa Hall last year and they didnt see a fit bc he was a one trick pony.  This is a deep wr class, so maybe they can find a talent on day 3.

1 hour ago, adam said:

The Bears need some edge-rushing depth, especially considering that Leonard Floyd will be entering free agency soon.

Terrell Lewis was once a staple of my 2019 NFL Mock Draft, but he returned to school after an injury-plagued 2018 campaign.

I’m always ‘all in’ on good SEC players (especially Alabama).  But... what i don’t like is the “injury plagued 2018 campaign”.  

As much as it pains me to say this, I’d say we focus more on OL in the earlier rounds.  Now watch Jason appear...

34 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Blazing speed at wr would be nice, but fixing the oline and establishing a run game are just as critical. They signed undrafted fa Hall last year and they didnt see a fit bc he was a one trick pony.  This is a deep wr class, so maybe they can find a talent on day 3.

I'm still there for OL.  Just not TE.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I like both of them and may be the lone proponent of a blazing fast wr.  IMO, it's more important than TE.  Burton will be back along with Horsted and Holtz.  We can even use Patterson in a pinch.  Kansas City has 3 or 4 guys faster than our fastest and it shows.

Mongo,

My thought process on the speedy receiver is that you won't have time to hit him deep if you don't fix the OLine. Also, Trubisky's deep ball accuracy is questionable, so would that WR even get that many chances? That is why I was leaning TE early. 

We had the lowest production from our TE's in the entire league. Our leading TE had 14 receptions on the year, the leading yardage was 91, and the group totaled 2 TDs. They were historically bad. Over anything else, one characteristic of both teams in the SB are their elite TEs (Kittle and Kelce). 

For me, if you had two equally rated players in the 2nd round, one a speedy WR and another a TE, I would go for the TE. Now, I am all for getting one in the draft, just not in the 2nd round.

3 hours ago, adam said:

Mongo,

My thought process on the speedy receiver is that you won't have time to hit him deep if you don't fix the OLine. Also, Trubisky's deep ball accuracy is questionable, so would that WR even get that many chances? That is why I was leaning TE early. 

We had the lowest production from our TE's in the entire league. Our leading TE had 14 receptions on the year, the leading yardage was 91, and the group totaled 2 TDs. They were historically bad. Over anything else, one characteristic of both teams in the SB are their elite TEs (Kittle and Kelce). 

For me, if you had two equally rated players in the 2nd round, one a speedy WR and another a TE, I would go for the TE. Now, I am all for getting one in the draft, just not in the 2nd round.

I'm all in on OL.  That has not nor will not change.  The debate between speed WR and TE is philosophical.  My belief is that you must at least create some doubt with the DB's.  If you can do that, then they are not as quick to hammer the underneath stuff.  The D coordinator is also less likely to blitz.  There are equally good arguments for TE.  Maybe we can do both, then we'll all be happy.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm all in on OL.  That has not nor will not change.  The debate between speed WR and TE is philosophical.  My belief is that you must at least create some doubt with the DB's.  If you can do that, then they are not as quick to hammer the underneath stuff.  The D coordinator is also less likely to blitz.  There are equally good arguments for TE.  Maybe we can do both, then we'll all be happy.

They need 2 starting tackles and a guard. 

If I had to prioritize this offseason, it would be: 

1) OL

2) Pass rusher opposite Mack

3) TE

4) DB

5) WR that takes the top off of a defense

The reason I chose pass rusher over the other two, is that the most important parts of modern football are protecting and rushing the passer. 

Gosh, I have just replaced my Mac with a PC after 20plus years and am lost on how to get to my old sites and such.  I'm back on my Mac for now because I have all my log on info on the Mac.  Still working on getting it all changed.  Gotta laugh because my iMac is on this small dinner stand, the kind you used to eat TV dinners from.  I'm crunched up like a little kid.  Starting to cramp so I gotta leave.  Sorry to bring that up on a sports board but what the hell.

10 hours ago, Bill said:

Gosh, I have just replaced my Mac with a PC after 20plus years and am lost on how to get to my old sites and such.  I'm back on my Mac for now because I have all my log on info on the Mac.  Still working on getting it all changed.  Gotta laugh because my iMac is on this small dinner stand, the kind you used to eat TV dinners from.  I'm crunched up like a little kid.  Starting to cramp so I gotta leave.  Sorry to bring that up on a sports board but what the hell.

I can picture this, too funny. Your dedication is admirable.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, adam said:

Here is one from Walter Football:

50. Chicago Bears: Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU 
The Bears could add another receiver to start across from Allen Robinson.

Jalen Reagor is a blazing-fast receiver who can go the distance whenever he touches the ball.

So Edge and WR? Lewis was ranked #49 in Jeremiah's top 50, and Reagor was not listed. I understand the thought process, but we seem to have bigger holes to fill than Edge and WR. To me, TE and OL, and even SS seem higher.

I'd be ok with both of those picks except I really prefer we grab an OT in Rd 2.   IMO TE is a position we can fix via FA and one of the top 3 FAs will be here.  We could possibly add depth along the interior; depending on how people feel about Bars and if he can be RG or RT.  OLB with Lewis there represents good value depending on his injury prognosis but without the injury he's clearly a top 20 or top 15 talent.   Pass rusher is a premium position so we absolutely take Lewis there.   Then with the next pick we draft an OT because you don't find many drafts where this much OT talent goes this deep into Rd 2.  In the 4th Rd go get Joe Reed WR out of Virginia.       

I did the draft game and made 2 2nd round trades to 2 extra 3rd rounders. 

2a-- Josh Jones/ OT from Houston 

2b-- KJ Hamlin/ WR from PSU

3a-- Shane Mieniux/ OG 

3b Bryce Hopkines/ TE from Purdue

Also Steve Montez QB from Colorado in the 5th. 

https://www.first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx 

I listed some of the picks not knowing if the copy works. 

22 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I did the draft game and made 2 2nd round trades to 2 extra 3rd rounders. 

2a-- Josh Jones/ OT from Houston 

2b-- KJ Hamlin/ WR from PSU

3a-- Shane Mieniux/ OG 

3b Bryce Hopkines/ TE from Purdue

Also Steve Montez QB from Colorado in the 5th. 

https://www.first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx 

I listed some of the picks not knowing if the copy works. 

OT and fast WR is cool.  I still like that WR from TCU Jalen Reagor.  He's built better for the NFL, speed seems similar to Hamler and he's better going up high for the ball which will pay dividends in the red zone.   Hamler is fast but he's not really pulling away from a lot of players so he's similar to Gabriel in that a mis-step by a DB and he's open but many NFL DBs will run stride for stride with him.   Unless he runs a 4.3 forty I expect Hamler's stock (likely a 4.4 IMO) to drop as we get closer to the draft.   

Trading down off the bat put me in a handy cap, but I could be happy here. Georgia north: Fromm, Wims, Riley, and speedster Robertson. Carter is an aggressive CB, Johnson seems like he can become a pass rush opposite of Mack, Feaster adds speed at RB, Prater G/C depth to develop. Gazaino to rotate at OLB. Hopkins to become our TE playmaker and Prince to anchor OT.

Your score is: 33909 (GRADE: B)

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 18: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn (B+)
Round 2 Pick 20 (LAR): Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia (A-)
Round 3 Pick 20 (LAR): Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue (A+)
Round 4 Pick 41 (COMP): TJ Carter, CB, Memphis (A+)
Round 5 Pick 13: Patrick Johnson, DE/OLB, Tulane (A+)
Round 5 Pick 17: Demetris Robertson, WR, Georgia (A+)
Round 6 Pick 17: Joe Gaziano, DE/OLB, Northwestern (A+)
Round 6 Pick 21: Tavien Feaster, RB, Clemson (A-)
Round 7 Pick 19: Colton Prater, OG, Texas A&M

Adam Hoge's Mock Draft 1.0:

2nd Round, No. 11 (No. 43 overall via Raiders) — TE Harrison Bryant, Florida Atlantic (6-4 3/4, 242)

2nd Round, No. 18 (No. 50 overall) — EDGE Bradlee Anae, Utah (6-3 3/8, 257)

4th Round, No. 41 (projected comp pick) — OG Damien Lewis, LSU (6-2, 329)

5th Round, No. 17 — CB Dane Jackson, Pittsburgh (5-11 5/8, 180)

6th Round, No. 17 — RB Antonio Gibson, Memphis (6-0 1/2, 223)

6th Round, No. 21 (via Eagles) — WR Binjimen Victor, Ohio State (6-4, 199)

7th Round, No. 12 (via Raiders) — QB Stephen Montez, Colorado (6-4, 240)

7th Round, No. 19 — OL Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon (6-4, 7/8, 310)

https://wgnradio.com/2020/02/04/hoge-2020-bears-mock-draft-1-0/

This would be a solid draft. I would like to have a Safety, especially with EJack getting a big contract (hard to pay 2x at one position), but other than that, it looks good.

It hits most positions of need.  They need to trade a second and gain a 3rd and then I see a S.  Can they find another Amos?  This will be a heck of an offseason with little resources in cap and picks.  Narrow the search and have a firm grip, don't leave your boundaries. Pray for health and they can make some noise. 

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It hits most positions of need.  They need to trade a second and gain a 3rd and then I see a S.  Can they find another Amos?  This will be a heck of an offseason with little resources in cap and picks.  Narrow the search and have a firm grip, don't leave your boundaries. Pray for health and they can make some noise. 

Yeah, I feel like you can only hope to expect a starter in the first 4 rounds. Getting one in the 5th or beyond is rare and not something you should plan for. With that, the Bears only have 3 picks in the first 4 rounds, so trading down in the 2nd to pick a 3rd up makes too much sense. Then you can potentially fill 4 need positions. For me those would be TE, OL, Edge, and S. Fill the rest via free agency. If you do address one of those 4 in free agency, then go after the speedy WR, CB, or QB in the draft.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but Pace has absolutely killed us with his frivolous trading of picks.  It not only effects the pipeline of talent, but the salary cap as well.  We really need to hit on these next two drafts or we are in big trouble.

That being said, I'm all in on trading down.  If we can get 5 third rounders for our two 2nd rounders that would be a coup.  Not much difference in talent for much greater value.

One crazy thought on Pace. What if, with his back against the wall, he says screw it and tries to make one last hail mary move to save his job? I could see him trading away future picks to do that. If he guesses right, the future picks won't matter as much. If it doesn't work, he doesn't have to deal with the loss of picks anyway. 

7 hours ago, adam said:

One crazy thought on Pace. What if, with his back against the wall, he says screw it and tries to make one last hail mary move to save his job? I could see him trading away future picks to do that. If he guesses right, the future picks won't matter as much. If it doesn't work, he doesn't have to deal with the loss of picks anyway. 

I wonder if NFL teams have protocols in place for situations like that.  Knowing this could be Paces last chance, he could trade multiple future picks away.  That could really hurt the team long term and make it difficult finding a replacement GM. 

22 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I wonder if NFL teams have protocols in place for situations like that.  Knowing this could be Paces last chance, he could trade multiple future picks away.  That could really hurt the team long term and make it difficult finding a replacement GM. 

I think Pace would know that no one would touch him again if he did that. And one assumes that you need owner approval for trading away first round picks?

OK - just googled and found this quote from Mike MCCaskey:

When approached about the Khalil Mack trade, McCaskey was on board. 

“I knew he was a dynamic player,” McCaskey said. “Ryan said it was an opportunity to get a premier player at a premier position in the prime of his career, and when you have an opportunity like that, you have to go for it."

https://www.letsbeardown.com/articles/george-mccaskey-comments-on-nagypace-partnership-a/

So it sounds like there is an approval necessary...

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I think Pace would know that no one would touch him again if he did that. And one assumes that you need owner approval for trading away first round picks?

OK - just googled and found this quote from Mike MCCaskey:

When approached about the Khalil Mack trade, McCaskey was on board. 

“I knew he was a dynamic player,” McCaskey said. “Ryan said it was an opportunity to get a premier player at a premier position in the prime of his career, and when you have an opportunity like that, you have to go for it."

https://www.letsbeardown.com/articles/george-mccaskey-comments-on-nagypace-partnership-a/

So it sounds like there is an approval necessary...

It is good to know there is a process, but then again the people he has to ask have a bad track record.