Kyle Long on Radio

Mongo3451

13 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If you go by NFL standards he is simply a average LT. He was down last year.  He ain't getting cut. The only scenario is if they go to him and do a Long deal ( cut in salary) and he doesn't  agree and they cut him. He needs competition.  I see a rookie coming in and taking over if he continues to have poor play.  Since there is no clear cut backup, he won't be going anywhere. 

I would say he was average with the blocks he made, but if you add all the penalties and the missed assignments, that puts him the bottom third of the league. 

This year he was bottom 5 , I'm referring to a career of being average. I'm in, the fact of being right is payment enough.  Dont get me wrong , I'm all in for an upgrade, we just don't have a replacement in place.  The cap issue and lack of draft capital leads me to believe  he is unfortunately going to be the starter. 

44 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

This year he was bottom 5 , I'm referring to a career of being average. I'm in, the fact of being right is payment enough.  Dont get me wrong , I'm all in for an upgrade, we just don't have a replacement in place.  The cap issue and lack of draft capital leads me to believe  he is unfortunately going to be the starter. 

I agree.  The Bears are not going to put the offense and QB in jeopardy with an unknown LT.  They might bring in competition and take a look, but this player would have to prove undoubtedly that they would be better. No NFL team is going to let a average/decent LT hit FA and to find a LT in the middle of round 2 makes it unrealistic.  Not saying they won't draft a LT, but to find one that can be ready to start (strength, knowledge of plays) year one is difficult.  Hopefully they find one in the draft that scares the sh@t out if Leno and puts him on notice. 

Ok, so Game 2, in Denver, here is a great play that seems like a microcosm of the season. The play ends up as an incompletion to Cohen. Denver only rushes 3, yet we have 6 in protection with Cohen chipping the end. To me the problem with the entire play is the play call and something I noticed all season. Nagy's plays are literally stupid. No one is schemed open, you can't have all the WR's run the same depth of route. This happened a ton during the season. No crossing pattern, nothing. You can't beat 8 guys in coverage (looks like Cover 3) if you literally run into the defensive coverage. That is exactly what all 4 WRs did. You beat the Cover-3 with short to intermediate out routes or crossing routes. 

The protection is pretty good, but Cohen actually chipped too hard and knocked the DE away from Leno, which gave him a clear path to the QB. Massie and Long do pretty good on the other side and Daniels and Whitehair do good up the middle. You really can't blame Leno here because the chip is what caused the problem. I also think that prevented Cohen from getting to his spot on time, thus the incompletion.

What I hate about this play besides the play call itself, is Trubisky. He has tunnel vision on ARob until the last second. The WR at the bottom has the best chance as the defenders on his side both have their hips turned inside following the QB. If Mitch was actually surveying the field, he might've had a shot at a pass there between the numbers and sideline. However, he never looks that way. It would've been a tough throw, but that was the only possible one I could see against that defense with those routes. Again, what the hell Nagy?

When I add some bubbles, you can see there is a window to throw the ball to the bottom and if Mitch could anticipate a little bit, he could've had a chance to drop it in between the 50 and 45 while throwing it when the WR was even with the defender. That's it though. No other place for the ball. The defense took away everything from 10-20 yds (see Cover 3). So where are the underneath routes that the longer routes cleared out? Why is Mitch completely locked in on his first read?

So I blame Nagy on this one, then Mitch, then Cohen. Maybe an audible at the line or something. Outside of Nagy's trick plays that only work half the time, has he really been that good of a play caller? I don't think he gets enough of the blame. Even if Mitch surveyed the field, his best play may have been to tuck it and run to the right once the RDE got wide and deep. He would've picked up 5-7 yards easily before having to slide.

Leno doesn't look that bad, but when he does it's a complete wet fart bad. That's his problem. It's average play followed by a penalty or complete whiff on a defender.

you can see that Trubisky was under pressure when he released the ball, and Leno was the reason. Even with Cohen helping him with a chip. THe other two pass rushers are neutralized, Trubisky would have be clean here if it wasnt for Leno's block.

And had Trubisky had a moment of peace to get the ball to Choen, he had a lot of space, and the weird pass patterns you're saying werent open (and they werent) would look more like downfield blockers on a punt return.

I think that was the play design, and it all worked except for Leno.

Yeah, I never thought about it, Cohen might have been the first read and Trubisky was baiting the defense into thinking he was going to one of the WR's. One odd part about it is none of the defenders are within 15 yards of Cohen. Even with him behind the LOS, if Trubisky did have another split second and Cohen gets out a little further, that is easily a 8-10 yard gain.

16 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Cohen is uncovered in the space in the flat. Thats the read. It's even the read Mitch made. But he had to throw it with the pass rusher in his face, and that's because of Leno.

Look at Cohen closely.  He's not even ready to receive said pass.  That outlet guy is supposed to move to make himself visible and create the throwing lane.  Terrible on Leno, Cohen and Trubisky.  Trubisky could have hit him with sky hook at that short of distance.  I mainly blame Cohen.