Roster thoughts

Stinger226

Open forum for projecting fixes for whatever we need to fix. 

TEs: under control

Burton 

Shaheen 

Braunnecker 

Horsted 

Saubert

Holtz

Raymond. 

Since the position was a disaster this year but have cap restrictions.  I see Pace redoing the room.

I think Burton ( if healthy) is listed #1 , Braunnecker gets cut, Shaheen comes back but will get cut before the regular season. Holtz and Horsted showed enough to be 3 and 4. The big Question is can Raymond play. Idk. 

In the draft there is no clear star but 8 prospects that might be good. In GBND report  ( I like evaluation of players)

Kmet/ ND is the only one  that is ever considered a high pick ranked 36 on GBND report.  Other prospects are H Bryant/ Wash, Hopkins/ PRU, Parkinson, Okwuegbunam, Harrison Bryant, Trautman, and Moss . A couple may go in the second round but most are 3rd and 4th round picks. You may get one to start and a few contributors but none will be a Henry or Engram first year star type. 

We have several U type TEs but Holtz is the  only Y type with Shaheen failing on the team. So I dont think either of our picks in the 2nd will be a TE more of maybe a 4th or 5th grabbing a Trautman or T Moss. 

We could potentially grab a Free agent but it wont be a expensive one. Maybe a Hoelister/ Sea or Fells / Hou that can block and catch some. 

So I see Burton, Holtz, Horsted, Raymond being in camp. 

Maybe a Fells ( not expensive) as a Free agent. 

A 4th round draft pick Trautman also.

With 4 making the Roster- Burton, Holtz, Fells  and Horsted 

Practice squad: Raymond and Trautman 

Unless we grab a Henry or Hooper in Free agency, there is no star power in the room. 

Best we can expect is 2018 production from our TE group 67 receptions, 670 yards and 9 TDs. 

If the offense improves maybe 75- 725- 10.

What say you?

20 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Open forum for projecting fixes for whatever we need to fix. 

TEs: under control

Burton 

Shaheen 

Braunnecker 

Horsted 

Saubert

Holtz

Raymond. 

Since the position was a disaster this year but have cap restrictions.  I see Pace redoing the room.

I think Burton ( if healthy) is listed #1 , Braunnecker gets cut, Shaheen comes back but will get cut before the regular season. Holtz and Horsted showed enough to be 3 and 4. The big Question is can Raymond play. Idk. 

In the draft there is no clear star but 8 prospects that might be good. In GBND report  ( I like evaluation of players)

Kmet/ ND is the only one  that is ever considered a high pick ranked 36 on GBND report.  Other prospects are H Bryant/ Wash, Hopkins/ PRU, Parkinson, Okwuegbunam, Harrison Bryant, Trautman, and Moss . A couple may go in the second round but most are 3rd and 4th round picks. You may get one to start and a few contributors but none will be a Henry or Engram first year star type. 

We have several U type TEs but Holtz is the  only Y type with Shaheen failing on the team. So I dont think either of our picks in the 2nd will be a TE more of maybe a 4th or 5th grabbing a Trautman or T Moss. 

We could potentially grab a Free agent but it wont be a expensive one. Maybe a Hoelister/ Sea or Fells / Hou that can block and catch some. 

So I see Burton, Holtz, Horsted, Raymond being in camp. 

Maybe a Fells ( not expensive) as a Free agent. 

A 4th round draft pick Trautman also.

With 4 making the Roster- Burton, Holtz, Fells  and Horsted 

Practice squad: Raymond and Trautman 

Unless we grab a Henry or Hooper in Free agency, there is no star power in the room. 

Best we can expect is 2018 production from our TE group 67 receptions, 670 yards and 9 TDs. 

If the offense improves maybe 75- 725- 10.

What say you?

I think you are spot on with Holtz and Horsted being our 3rd and 4th TEs... say bye to Braunecker and Shaheen.   I'm not sure we'll go with a TE in the draft even if I've been saying that for some time.   At least not early because I think the position is too important to Nagy's  offense that Pace will go out and fix it via FA with one of the top 3.  Hooper would get the most guaranteed money.   The others would be a little more team friendly/less guarantee. 

Once he settled into the offense in 2018 Trubisky looked ok when he had Burton on the field.  If we want to fix the QB...get him a big friendly target.  Otherwise a rookie takes too much time to learn the transition.  Use that 2nd Rd pick on a fast WR to take the top off the D and to open up the underneath stuff for that TE we just spent money on.  

If we end up with Ebron then maybe we take a chance on a TE in the 4th/5th Rd.  

I don't think Henry or Hooper's teams let them get away.  I'm not sure Ebron is consistent enough to  get paid what he will command. I just Fells age so that won't be happening.  It seems Jacob Hollister is the only one worth looking at. Probably will be a draft pick in 4th or 5th.

To get the most out of this offense, the first 2 picks should be 2 OLs or a speedy WR with one.  Probably draft a OT that maybe plays RT  and  switch to LT in one year then cut ties with him in 2.

11 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't think Henry or Hooper's teams let them get away. 

I saw the Pats might be interested in Henry.  Which begs the question, with Rivers leaving the Chargers who will their starting QB be?  Will Henry be as much of an asset to whomever that may be?  I suppose he could be a security blanket receiver of sorts but with LA looking like they are rebuilding maybe he’s better as a trade tool?

And speaking of Rivers; I wonder aloud how he might be as a Bear? Would he be someone Trubiksy could learn from?  There’s no doubt Phillip reeks of toughness both physically and mentally.  Mitchell could learn a lot from him.  

I looked at over the cap the other day and the Bears are stuck between a rock and a hard place due to money that has been set aside for a poor  oline.

We can’t move on from Leno or Massie this year. Unsure Whitehair is worth the contract and need to see way more from Daniels who seemed to be rated highly. Taking all of this into account there no way we bring in a free agent guard our only route is through the draft

If we can’t get adequate play from the oline I can’t see Mitch developing and the run game will be suspect again. 

I have been a Pace supporter but the money spent on contracts for this line is shocking. The only blessing is Kyle retired but he would have been moved on from because he wasn’t going to be a big cap hit. 

I disagree. If we deem Leno a post June 1st cut, we can spread it out, and afford to cut him this year.

It is a logically fallacy to think that because you have already paid someone, that you have to play them. This is the fallacy of sunk costs.,

I do understand the argument of a cap hit being too large to swallow in a given year, but the June first designation makes this doable.

1 hour ago, 50england50 said:

I looked at over the cap the other day and the Bears are stuck between a rock and a hard place due to money that has been set aside for a poor  oline.

We can’t move on from Leno or Massie this year. Unsure Whitehair is worth the contract and need to see way more from Daniels who seemed to be rated highly. Taking all of this into account there no way we bring in a free agent guard our only route is through the draft

If we can’t get adequate play from the oline I can’t see Mitch developing and the run game will be suspect again. 

I have been a Pace supporter but the money spent on contracts for this line is shocking. The only blessing is Kyle retired but he would have been moved on from because he wasn’t going to be a big cap hit. 

If you cut Floyd (No Dead Money), Gabriel ($2M), Leno as a June-1 cut ($3.7M), and Prince ($1M), that would save $23.1M with $6.7M in dead money. Cohen is another candidate, he would save $2.1M with only 158K dead money. Shaheen should be cut, which would save $1.2M with 600K in dead money. There is also some restructuring that can be done with the core guys (Mack, Hicks, Fuller, Goldman, and Whitehair) that can free up cap space this year, if needed. So I don't think we are as bad off as some think. Losing Long saved a chunk of cap as well. 

9 hours ago, adam said:

If you cut Floyd (No Dead Money), Gabriel ($2M), Leno as a June-1 cut ($3.7M), and Prince ($1M), that would save $23.1M with $6.7M in dead money. Cohen is another candidate, he would save $2.1M with only 158K dead money. Shaheen should be cut, which would save $1.2M with 600K in dead money. There is also some restructuring that can be done with the core guys (Mack, Hicks, Fuller, Goldman, and Whitehair) that can free up cap space this year, if needed. So I don't think we are as bad off as some think. Losing Long saved a chunk of cap as well. 

+1

They will get cap money, teams always do and Pace seems to be good at that. I see the problem being for who you cut another spot you need to replace. I think they think they have a potential SB run so what can you realistically cut and replace and keep a high level of defense.  I think they first go to Floyd with a long term contract attempt.  4 year- 35 million with with 18 guaranteed and a cap hut in 20 at 7 million. Then they bring in a situational pass rusher type. Example Jason Pierre Paul. 

Thoughts about ILBer . With Smith being good with his health then we bring back Kwit on a 4 year- 30 mil deal with 12 being guaranteed.  Also bring back Kevin Pieere Louis on a cheap deal. Josh woods seems to be liked but I think  Joel Iggy doesn't seem to be getting better. We draft one in a later round for better depth. Cameron Brown from PSU may be a fit in n the 6th.

Available now.  Tony Jefferson is being let go by the Ravens.  Had a knee injury in October and with 7 million due this year they go for the cap space.  He's 28 and an idea box safety.  Good tackler and decent in coverage.  Maybe a 1 year prove it deal at 5 million? Maybe a 3 year deal for 18 with 7 guaranteed? 5 against the cap this year? 

What say you? Will be cheaper than Dix and a better balance with Jackson being the FS all the time.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:34 AM, Stinger226 said:

Available now.  Tony Jefferson is being let go by the Ravens.  Had a knee injury in October and with 7 million due this year they go for the cap space.  He's 28 and an idea box safety.  Good tackler and decent in coverage.  Maybe a 1 year prove it deal at 5 million? Maybe a 3 year deal for 18 with 7 guaranteed? 5 against the cap this year? 

What say you? Will be cheaper than Dix and a better balance with Jackson being the FS all the time.

I say...what was his knee injury?  Because it can easily take a full year to recover which means he won't be available, or won't be playing at full strength for much of the season.    I also say I was never that impressed with him when he was in Arizona.  Not that he was a bad player but I never thought he was worth the contract he got.  But that's Free Agency.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ravens-release-highly-paid-starting-safety-tony-jefferson-a-respected-on-and-off-field-leader-saving-247-million/ar-BB101e2R

"But despite starting 35 of his first 37 games with the team, Jefferson struggled to make an impact in the Ravens’ pass defense. He finished with two interceptions and 11 passes defensed, and he had costly lapses in coverage over the first month of last season, when the Ravens defense was in disarray. He allowed a passer rating of 141.4 in 2019, according to Pro-Football-Reference, and his missed-tackle rate (16.0%) was among the team’s worst."

15 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I need to do more investigating before I throw shit out there. 

Don't worry about it that's what the discussion is for.  I wouldn't have done any of that without your suggestion.  If his knee injury wasn't too serious he might be a viable stop-gap option for a year.  

20 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I need to do more investigating before I throw shit out there. 

LOL WHY? It's the time of year we could discuss whether the bears should change cleats!

Anything that gets discussion going is good!