Khalil Mack

adam

I watched a few games on Game Pass and besides Floyd looking overmatched on every play, Mack didn't seem to have the same explosion like he did last year. He was a Tazmanian Devil in 2018, but in 2019, it looked like he lost a step and wasn't as powerful. I know the defense for his regression was these double and triple teams. However, even when he had one on one matchups, even against a rookie, he didn't really do anything special.

My fear with some of these guys is once they get a payday, they cruise. It really looks that way with guys like Leno, Massie, and Mack. Fuller seems like the only one who has consistently played to his contract, except for the fact that he played 10 yards of the WR every snap. So we will see what EJack does.

Looking at Mack's contract, we got him thru age 33, and he is in his prime right now going into 2020 at age 29. This should be his year. Hopefully, he gets back to form because we really need him to be dominant regardless of the other players around him, that's what he is getting paid for.

I agree.  He did not seem able to over power or get under and around DE's as he did in 2018.  Perhaps his ankle was still a problem.  But he did not seem to dominate as he had in the past.  I do however have a hard time believing most of the pros don't give the same effort from one year to the next.  It's just no in the DNA of the great ones. 

I think things contributed to his off year. Getting paid was never a thought.  He is the example of never give up. New coordinator, lack of aggressive defense.  Being on the field so much may have wore on him. Off year?  Only year in his career that was bad. I'll take 5 years of great play for judgment  not one off year. He is in his prime.  Generational players usually start fading at 31- 32 unless affected by injury. If they decide to get rid of him it will under a new GM not this year. 2 bad years? Then you start to think about it, not one.