The Athletic Top 100 FA's

adam

Here is the current list of top 100 FA's for 2020 from The Athletic. I excluded the top 30 due to the expected salaries and/or projected tags. This is the remaining list. If you could pick 4 guys off this list to target, who would they be? After reading some articles about FA TE failures, I am avoiding TE in FA. I selected Fuller's brother at CB, Vonn Bell to play SS, Vaitai to replace Leno, and Glasgow at G. All are young enough to play out a full contract. I also re-signed Kwit (not counting that as a target). Then in the draft, the team can address TE, Edge, speed at WR, and depth.

Top 1-30 Excluded:

31. Chris Harris Jr., CB, Broncos (31)

32. D.J. Humphries, OT, Cardinals (26)

33. Devin McCourty, S, Patriots (33)

34. Trae Waynes, CB, Vikings (28)

35. Bradley Roby, CB, Texans (28)

36. D.J. Reader, DT, Texans (26)

37. Jason Pierre-Paul, EDGE, Buccaneers (31)

38. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Saints (27)

39. Robert Quinn, EDGE, Cowboys (30)

40. Joe Schobert, LB, Browns (26)

41. Hunter Henry, TE, Chargers (25)

42. Austin Hooper, TE, Falcons (25)

43. Andrus Peat, OG, Saints (26)

44. Jarran Reed, DT, Seahawks (27)

45. Marcus Mariota, QB, Titans (26)

46. Kendall Fuller, CB, Chiefs (25)

47. Germain Ifedi, RT, Seahawks (26)

48. Blake Martinez, LB, Packers (26)

49. Leonard Williams, DT, Giants (26)

50. Eli Apple, CB, Saints (25)

51. Logan Ryan, CB, Titans (29)

52. Breshad Perriman, WR, Buccaneers (27)

53. Jimmie Ward, S, 49ers (29)

54. Vonn Bell, S, Saints (25)

55. Maliek Collins, DT, Cowboys (25)

56. Halapoulivaati Vaitai, OT, Eagles (27)

57. Danny Shelton, DT, Patriots (27)

58. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Bucccaneers (33)

59. Graham Glasgow, G/C, Lions (28)

60. Eric Ebron, TE, Colts (27)

61. Melvin Gordon, RB, Chargers (27)

62. Ronald Darby, CB, Eagles (26) 

63. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Chiefs (28)

64. Jordan Phillips, DT, Bills (27)

65. Mackensie Alexander, CB, Vikings (26)

66. Shelby Harris, DT, Broncos (29)

67. Vic Beasley, EDGE, Falcons (28)

68. Shaq Lawson, DE, Bills (26)

69. Markus Golden, EDGE, Giants (29)

70. Mario Addison, EDGE, Panthers (33)

71. Jamie Collins, LB, Patriots (30)

72. Kyle Van Noy, LB/EDGE, Patriots (29)

73. A’Shawn Robinson, DT, Lions (25)

74. Kenyan Drake, RB, Cardinals (26)

75. Rodney McLeod, S, Eagles (30)

76. Jimmy Smith, CB, Ravens (32)

77. Carl Nassib, EDGE, Buccaneers (27)

78. De’Vondre Campbell, LB, Falcons (27)

79. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Bears (27)

80. Gerald McCoy, DT, Panthers (32)

81. Derek Wolfe, DT, Broncos (30)

82. Karl Joseph, S, Raiders (27)

83. Jason Peters, LT, Eagles (38)

84. Andrew Whitworth, LT, Rams (38)

85. Damarious Randall, S, Browns (28)

86. Michael Brockers, DT, Rams (29)

87. Nick Kwiatkoski, LB, Bears (27)

88. Kevin Johnson, CB, Bills (28)

89. Brian Poole, CB, Jets (27)

90. Randall Cobb, WR, Cowboys (30)

91. Nelson Agholor, WR, Eagles (27)

92. Devin Funchess, WR, Colts (26)

93. Demarcus Robinson, WR, Chiefs (26) 

94. Connor McGovern, G/C, Broncos (27)

95. Jalen Mills, CB, Eagles (26)

96. Tre Boston, S, Panthers (28)

97. Kamalei Correa, EDGE, Titans (26)

98. Quinton Jefferson, DT, Seahawks (27)

99. Michael Pierce, DT, Ravens (27)

100. Daryl Williams, OT, Panthers (28)

What do you think? Adding Hopkins and Anae in the 2nd Round:

QB - Trubisky, Keenum
RB - Montgomery, Cohen, Rookie or cheap vet RB
WR - Robinson, Miller, Ridley, Wims, Rookie (Speed)
TE - Hopkins, Burton, Holtz
OL - Vaitai, Daniels, Whitehair, Glasgow, Massie

DL - Hicks, Goldman, RRH, Williams
LB - Mack, Smith, Kwit, KPL, Anae
CB - Fuller, Fuller, Skrine, Tolliver
S - Jackson, Bell

We get upgraded at backup QB, TE, OL, Edge, CB, and Safety. Keenum over Daniel, Hopkins replaces Shaheen/Braunecker, Vaitai replaces Leno, Glasgow replaces Long. On defense, Anae replaces Floyd, Fuller replaces Prince, and Bell replaces HHCD. We bring back KPL and Kwit for ILB.

Then fill out the rest of the depth slots.

Just now, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’m actually more interested in Thaddeus Moss in the 2nd.   

https://dawindycity.com/2020/02/11/chicago-bears-thaddeus-moss-fix-tight-end/

That's fair, I haven't looked too hard at them yet. Anae looked really good at Senior Bowl. I was just targeting TE and Edge early.

3 hours ago, adam said:

QB - Trubisky, Rivers
RB - Montgomery, Cohen, Howard
TE - Moss, Burton, Holtz, Horstead
OL - Vaitai, Daniels, Whitehair, Glasgow, Massie (Trent Williams and/or draft Jon Runyan - Michigan)

LB - Mack, Kwit, KPL, Anae
S - Jackson, Bell

I have to say I like most of what you chose from the draft and FA.  I especially like your defensive picks of Fuller and I think Bell.  No doubt they need a true SS. I’d have liked to see Jacoby Stevens (Safety LSU) as a draft prospect but apparently he’s going back to LSU.

I tweaked a few of your offensive picks, only because I’m amped at a few of these second generation players that are coming up.  Kyle did good for us a few years until the injury bug hit him.  

Don’t know yet what to suggest at WR.  I’m partial to big body WRs, like DK Metcalf or any other Megatron clone, but I think Wims could fit that role.  

9 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I have to say I like most of what you chose from the draft and FA.  I especially like your defensive picks of Fuller and I think Bell.  No doubt they need a true SS. I’d have liked to see Jacoby Stevens (Safety LSU) as a draft prospect but apparently he’s going back to LSU.

I tweaked a few of your offensive picks, only because I’m amped at a few of these second generation players that are coming up.  Kyle did good for us a few years until the injury bug hit him.  

Don’t know yet what to suggest at WR.  I’m partial to big body WRs, like DK Metcalf or any other Megatron clone, but I think Wims could fit that role.  

No way Rivers is coming here Howard is not coming back and somewhere you lost Roquin Smith along the way. 

12 hours ago, adam said:

What do you think? Adding Hopkins and Anae in the 2nd Round:

QB - Trubisky, Keenum
RB - Montgomery, Cohen, Rookie or cheap vet RB
TE - Hopkins, Burton, Holtz
OL - Vaitai, Daniels, Whitehair, Glasgow, Massie

LB - Mack, Kwit, KPL, Anae
S - Jackson, Bell

We get upgraded at backup QB, TE, OL, Edge, CB, and Safety. Keenum over Daniel, Hopkins replaces Shaheen/Braunecker, Vaitai replaces Leno, Glasgow replaces Long. On defense, Anae replaces Floyd, Fuller replaces Prince, and Bell replaces HHCD. We bring back KPL and Kwit for ILB.

Then fill out the rest of the depth slots.

I like your projections but don't think their going to do that. Glasgow is going to make 8-9 mil and I really doubt we do that. He will bring  in a cheap vet and  also draft one. I also doubt they use one of the 2nd round picks is a TE. I think they draft a OL- OLB or speedy WR. It depends on who falls to our picks.  Kmet is the only one rated as a value at those spots . I think they trade back with one of those picks and get a 3rd round pick.  I think they draft WR Reagon, OG Solomon Kindley  and Anthony Gordon/ QB . They bring in Keenum but need a high prospect to develop.  Later than the 3rd round will not get you a good one.  Possibly the 4th they draft a TE , Trautman or Harrison  Bryant could still be there. Rookie TEs rarely make a big impact. I think they sign Floyd  to a contract at a cheaper cap hit and bring in a J. Pierre-Paul on a cheaper deal for the pass rush. They bring in a CB and SS as starters in free agency. , both those names will work well.

My biggest concern is what they do at QB.  Keenum will not be expensive but think they have to answer the position with a rookie for the answer if MT fails. That's why I think they draft a QB high.

14 hours ago, adam said:

Here is the current list of top 100 FA's for 2020 from The Athletic. I excluded the top 30 due to the expected salaries and/or projected tags. This is the remaining list. If you could pick 4 guys off this list to target, who would they be? After reading some articles about FA TE failures, I am avoiding TE in FA. I selected Fuller's brother at CB, Vonn Bell to play SS, Vaitai to replace Leno, and Glasgow at G. All are young enough to play out a full contract. I also re-signed Kwit (not counting that as a target). Then in the draft, the team can address TE, Edge, speed at WR, and depth.

Top 1-30 Excluded:

31. Chris Harris Jr., CB, Broncos (31)

32. D.J. Humphries, OT, Cardinals (26)

33. Devin McCourty, S, Patriots (33)

34. Trae Waynes, CB, Vikings (28)

35. Bradley Roby, CB, Texans (28)

36. D.J. Reader, DT, Texans (26)

37. Jason Pierre-Paul, EDGE, Buccaneers (31)

38. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Saints (27)

39. Robert Quinn, EDGE, Cowboys (30)

40. Joe Schobert, LB, Browns (26)

41. Hunter Henry, TE, Chargers (25)

42. Austin Hooper, TE, Falcons (25)

43. Andrus Peat, OG, Saints (26)

44. Jarran Reed, DT, Seahawks (27)

45. Marcus Mariota, QB, Titans (26)

46. Kendall Fuller, CB, Chiefs (25)

47. Germain Ifedi, RT, Seahawks (26)

48. Blake Martinez, LB, Packers (26)

49. Leonard Williams, DT, Giants (26)

50. Eli Apple, CB, Saints (25)

51. Logan Ryan, CB, Titans (29)

52. Breshad Perriman, WR, Buccaneers (27)

53. Jimmie Ward, S, 49ers (29)

54. Vonn Bell, S, Saints (25)

55. Maliek Collins, DT, Cowboys (25)

56. Halapoulivaati Vaitai, OT, Eagles (27)

57. Danny Shelton, DT, Patriots (27)

58. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Bucccaneers (33)

59. Graham Glasgow, G/C, Lions (28)

60. Eric Ebron, TE, Colts (27)

61. Melvin Gordon, RB, Chargers (27)

62. Ronald Darby, CB, Eagles (26) 

63. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Chiefs (28)

64. Jordan Phillips, DT, Bills (27)

65. Mackensie Alexander, CB, Vikings (26)

66. Shelby Harris, DT, Broncos (29)

67. Vic Beasley, EDGE, Falcons (28)

68. Shaq Lawson, DE, Bills (26)

69. Markus Golden, EDGE, Giants (29)

70. Mario Addison, EDGE, Panthers (33)

71. Jamie Collins, LB, Patriots (30)

72. Kyle Van Noy, LB/EDGE, Patriots (29)

73. A’Shawn Robinson, DT, Lions (25)

74. Kenyan Drake, RB, Cardinals (26)

75. Rodney McLeod, S, Eagles (30)

76. Jimmy Smith, CB, Ravens (32)

77. Carl Nassib, EDGE, Buccaneers (27)

78. De’Vondre Campbell, LB, Falcons (27)

79. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Bears (27)

80. Gerald McCoy, DT, Panthers (32)

81. Derek Wolfe, DT, Broncos (30)

82. Karl Joseph, S, Raiders (27)

83. Jason Peters, LT, Eagles (38)

84. Andrew Whitworth, LT, Rams (38)

85. Damarious Randall, S, Browns (28)

86. Michael Brockers, DT, Rams (29)

87. Nick Kwiatkoski, LB, Bears (27)

88. Kevin Johnson, CB, Bills (28)

89. Brian Poole, CB, Jets (27)

90. Randall Cobb, WR, Cowboys (30)

91. Nelson Agholor, WR, Eagles (27)

92. Devin Funchess, WR, Colts (26)

93. Demarcus Robinson, WR, Chiefs (26) 

94. Connor McGovern, G/C, Broncos (27)

95. Jalen Mills, CB, Eagles (26)

96. Tre Boston, S, Panthers (28)

97. Kamalei Correa, EDGE, Titans (26)

98. Quinton Jefferson, DT, Seahawks (27)

99. Michael Pierce, DT, Ravens (27)

100. Daryl Williams, OT, Panthers (28)

Who did Eli Apple pay to be put at #50?  

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I like your projections but don't think their going to do that. Glasgow is going to make 8-9 mil and I really doubt we do that. He will bring  in a cheap vet and  also draft one. I also doubt they use one of the 2nd round picks is a TE. I think they draft a OL- OLB or speedy WR. It depends on who falls to our picks.  Kmet is the only one rated as a value at those spots . I think they trade back with one of those picks and get a 3rd round pick.  I think they draft WR Reagon, OG Solomon Kindley  and Anthony Gordon/ QB . They bring in Keenum but need a high prospect to develop.  Later than the 3rd round will not get you a good one.  Possibly the 4th they draft a TE , Trautman or Harrison  Bryant could still be there. Rookie TEs rarely make a big impact. I think they sign Floyd  to a contract at a cheaper cap hit and bring in a J. Pierre-Paul on a cheaper deal for the pass rush. They bring in a CB and SS as starters in free agency. , both those names will work well.

My biggest concern is what they do at QB.  Keenum will not be expensive but think they have to answer the position with a rookie for the answer if MT fails. That's why I think they draft a QB high.

I watched a game with this Anthony Gordon QB.  From what I saw if we draft him his sole purpose will be to make Mitch Trubisky look like a good QB.  

I think it's a wash between Keenum and Daniel in terms of talent.  I think Daniel comes cheaper since he won't be moving his family and he knows the system which gives him a big advantage over Keenum who won't get practice reps during the season.  

22 minutes ago, adam said:

It was a cut and paste error on the Excel Operator, it's fixed. 

no worries, I just wanted to make sure he didnt get cut because you left him off the list LOL

Oh, it's the boring part of the season when nothing is happening, so we only have this kind of crap with each other to talk about!

15 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

no worries, I just wanted to make sure he didnt get cut because you left him off the list LOL

Oh, it's the boring part of the season when nothing is happening, so we only have this kind of crap with each other to talk about!

Yeah no worries, the defense felt a little light once I posted it but didn't even notice it lol.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Yeah no worries, the defense felt a little light once I posted it but didn't even notice it lol.

I’ll admit I didn’t either until it was brought up.  Maybe because he was out for the last chunk of the season he was overlooked.  

Can’t help but think with the patchwork defense they had (Hicks, Trevathan and Smith out and the sub-par play of Amukamura and HHCD) how impressive it was the defense still managed to stay top-10.  Fangio would’ve struggled too I’m sure.  

On 2/14/2020 at 10:01 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Is he related to the Anae guys that played at BYU in the ‘80s?  You’re right he does look good in highlight film.  

"Anae’s father, Brad, played defensive end for the Cougars as a two-time All-American from 1979-81. His uncles, Robert and Matt, also played for the Cougars, and Robert Anae coached at BYU two separate times under former head coach Bronco Mendenhall from 2005-10 and again from 2013-15.

Even Anae’s grandfather, Famika, played for the Cougars."

https://www.ksl.com/article/46626221/amid-a-family-pedigree-of-cougars-utahs-bradlee-anae-ready-to-leave-his-mark

15 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Having watched tape on him but since you made that comment I definitely need to . Being in Thailand for the winter I have been looking at a lot of drafts not yet dwelled in a lot of tape on players. By the draft I will have did enough research to have more honest opinions. 

With Anthony Gordon there are just enough good plays on tape to entice you to think maybe he can be an answer.   In the game I watched, as the announcers kept talking about his draft status and NFL future, I saw a lot of plays and kept saying to myself...yeah, that's not gonna work.   IMO he'll be on someone's practice squad next year but he's not worth spending a draft pick on.  With limited picks I see no reason to draft him when we can use that pick to find someone with more potential at any other position.  

6 hours ago, adam said:

Pace seems like a guy that won't admit mistakes. It's never his fault. So I doubt he brings anyone back. 

Is Parkey still our kicker?  Mike Glennon?   Maybe you want to hear him walk up to a microphone and say that guy was a mistake but that's not a classy way to treat people.  Nor does it help when recruiting other players in FA.  While he deserves the criticism for bad picks/FAs it's pretty clear he's willing to walk away quickly if that's the best option.  Charles Leno may soon know this too.