The Athletic Top 100 FA's

adam

On 2/14/2020 at 7:25 AM, adam said:

That's fair, I haven't looked too hard at them yet. Anae looked really good at Senior Bowl. I was just targeting TE and Edge early.

I have trouble watching this game and believing Anae will be better as a pass rusher than Floyd is.  He's generally easily controlled by a single OT all game with some occasional chips tossed in.   He has one splash play in the entire game and a couple missed tackles that don't bode well for his agility.   I don't even see 2nd Rd talent but I'm going to find more games to watch.  

37 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Is Parkey still our kicker?  Mike Glennon?   Maybe you want to hear him walk up to a microphone and say that guy was a mistake but that's not a classy way to treat people.  Nor does it help when recruiting other players in FA.  While he deserves the criticism for bad picks/FAs it's pretty clear he's willing to walk away quickly if that's the best option.  Charles Leno may soon know this too.   

I never expect him to publicly state anything about the organization as it might tip his hand. I was thinking along the lines of the guys he let go. If he brings them back, it sort of shows that he shouldn't have gotten rid of them in the first place, thus a mistake on his part. Glennon was a huge mistake to begin with. He signed a one-year deal. If Pace cut him before the end of the season, he admits the mistake, if he stays on the roster all year, he doesn't.  Same for Parkey. He was missing kicks in October, did we cut him and sign someone else during the season? Nope, no mistake admitted. We kept him until he broke the franchise and only after his media appearance did the team cut him. Not for his play, for those actions. Again, not admitting it was the wrong move. So his actions have been very consistent. He is going to ride guys out and won't bring others back that he probably should've never let go. 

😐

54 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I have trouble watching this game and believing Anae will be better as a pass rusher than Floyd is.  He's generally easily controlled by a single OT all game with some occasional chips tossed in.   He has one splash play in the entire game and a couple missed tackles that don't bode well for his agility.   I don't even see 2nd Rd talent but I'm going to find more games to watch.  

To be fair, that was the first game of the season. He seemed to improve as the season wore on. He also looked really good in the Senior Bowl against a lot of good players. 

Here is the thing, Floyd had 4.5 sacks in his last year of college (Junior), and had a total of 10.5 in his last two seasons. In comparison, Anae had 13.5 his last year, and 20.5 in his last two. If you look at TFL, Floyd had 8.5 in both of his last two seasons (total of 17), and Anae had 14 and 14 for 28. So the production is there. I have no idea why Floyd was a top 10 pick with those numbers. At least Anae has the production. Also we are looking for someone opposite of Mack in as early as the 2nd round. He was just one of the guys that should be there. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

To be fair, that was the first game of the season. He seemed to improve as the season wore on. He also looked really good in the Senior Bowl against a lot of good players. 

Here is the thing, Floyd had 4.5 sacks in his last year of college (Junior), and had a total of 10.5 in his last two seasons. In comparison, Anae had 13.5 his last year, and 20.5 in his last two. If you look at TFL, Floyd had 8.5 in both of his last two seasons (total of 17), and Anae had 14 and 14 for 28. So the production is there. I have no idea why Floyd was a top 10 pick with those numbers. At least Anae has the production. Also we are looking for someone opposite of Mack in as early as the 2nd round. He was just one of the guys that should be there. 

IIRC the draft we took Floyd was somewhat weak at the top and at the time OLB was a huge hole on our D.  I'm sure someone will pull up a pick later in the first round that has done well but that's hindsight.  Floyd at least solidified the weakness and his biggest weakness in the draft, run support, is oddly now his strength.  He provided Fangio with the guy he wanted who could do a lot of things on the field including dropping into coverage and running with TEs and RBs.  

I'm not sure comparing the two conferences these guys played in is a good match.  I also see that Anea lines up almost exclusively at OLB/DE while Floyd lined up all over the field at Georgia, often off the LOS.  

Just saw a mock with us taking this kid from Wisc with our first pick.  He looks like a really good football player, dynamic in both the open field and as a pass rusher.   I need to learn more about him but I like his style.  

Braun is 6-3 and 235lbs , isn't that to light for a rush linebacker in our system? I remember Floyd at the same weight and people complained he was to light? We definitely need to a pass rusher but I suspect we grab a little bigger prospect.  I think if they decide to keep Floyd on a lower cap hit deal they may just grab a situational pass rusher which could be on the lighter side. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Braun is 6-3 and 235lbs , isn't that to light for a rush linebacker in our system? I remember Floyd at the same weight and people complained he was to light? We definitely need to a pass rusher but I suspect we grab a little bigger prospect.  I think if they decide to keep Floyd on a lower cap hit deal they may just grab a situational pass rusher which could be on the lighter side. 

Good points and that bigger stature (taller, longer arms) is the type of player I've been looking for.  OTOH there are more than a few players who are shorter but still can be effective as pass rushers if they have the quickness and a strong enough base.  These players sometimes win the leverage battle even if they are stopped initially.  He seems to be pretty stout even on inside rushes.  I like the fact he makes tackles like Kwit does where he is usually the one driving the RB backwards.  There a multiple plays in this film where he wins the battle against bigger blockers including an inside rush at 1:40 against Penn St, against Purdue at 2:30, against Iowa at 3:00, Illinois 4:14.   If he were taller he'd be gone in the first round.  Around the internet I can already see a lot of fans are looking at him as a solid day 2 selection.  IMO the worst thing we end up with is a really good ILB who can both cover and fill the hole lined up next to Roquan, but one that can also provide some pass rush.  Baun is better than Roquan was working inside against the big boys.   It will be interesting to watch his draft stock as this process moves along.  

As a ILB he would be a great idea.  I think we have a decision to make bring Kwit back on a reasonable contract or give Trevathan a 1 year 6 mil deal to avoid drop off at the position.  KPL coming back is a no brainer but using draft capital to fill a few positions that doesn't have a valid answer for us right now seems more likely. 

14 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

As a ILB he would be a great idea.  I think we have a decision to make bring Kwit back on a reasonable contract or give Trevathan a 1 year 6 mil deal to avoid drop off at the position.  KPL coming back is a no brainer but using draft capital to fill a few positions that doesn't have a valid answer for us right now seems more likely. 

His draft profiles are all over the place.  Some read good as pass rusher, others say he'll never make it there and has to be off-ball LB.  I see him as a versatile player from coverage to pass rush;  a good football player (in the complimentary sense), and the type of defender the Patriots love to draft so they can change their scheme weekly depending on their opponent.  We sometimes go into 4-3 sets so having Baun, Kwit, Smith is pretty good with KPL as backup.  Any of those 3 could delay rush depending on what the read is post-snap. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

If Kwit gets to big of an offer you think they could bring back KPL as the starter  or low ball Trevathan on a couple year deal?  Maybe both. 

ILB will definitely be interesting. I will have to check, but I didn't see Trevathan listed as a top FA, so there is a chance to bring him in on the cheap if he is willing. I assume Kwit will command the most money. 

With limited resources in the cap and draft capital I can see us going cheap on filling defensive positions.  

Could they bring back Bush as a starter and still get a cheap vet for competition?

I'f they CAN'T get Kwit on a reasonable deal or Trevathan on the cheap, go with KPL? 

Bring back RRH and Urbin in the DL and let Williams go if someone wants to pay him.

If they let Prince leave go with Robinson or Tolliver at CB? 

I read an article on Bear Goggles on Floyd and his value.  They gave several examples of players breaking out in their 5th year. Dee Ford, Bud Dupree and Barrett come to mind. If you try to sign a good pass rusher they will be anywhere from 10-16 million.  So if you offer him a 9-10  million a year contract extension your in the ballpark for his position.  If they have 3 new starters at CB, SS, and ILB they may want to stabilize the defense with resigning him. Then use their draft to add offense  and an upgrade at TE, RG and QB. Also spend free agency money on filling the offense.  

As an example:

Bring in Ebron at TE

Bring in Mariota or Keenum at QB.

Bring in a Peat or Blythe to compete with Bars at RG.

Also get an inexpensive OLB like JPP or a Jorden Jenkins to add to the pass rush. 

Then in the draft go with the BPA at OL, QB, OLB, TE or WR.  

I think if Bush could've been a starter, he would've already made that step up. So I still think we need to bring someone in to play SS. I can't see the team committing that much money to Floyd for that output. If he is too expensive, then they address that position in the draft. 

I would like to see RRH and Williams brought back for sure. We didn't get to see much of Williams with Hicks, that may be a dominant duo.

Interesting take on the Bears hope to get Mariota.  Who knew they had so many similarities? Former overall second picks, less than stellar careers ... so far, and the same agents? 

In a related story I saw that there was speculation the Bears could consider someone like QB Jake Fromm in the second round...interesting.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/15/titans-quarterback-marcus-mariota-might-not-be-option-for-chicago-bears-in-free-agency/amp/

From what I've been reading, there are 4 legitimate QBs in this draft, Burrow, Tua, Love and Herbert.  After that they all have flaws.  Fromm and Eason bring no running game with them. Fromm is short and doesn't have a strong arm.  Smart and brings intangibles but doesn't sound like a future pro starter. 

13 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

From what I've been reading, there are 4 legitimate QBs in this draft, Burrow, Tua, Love and Herbert.  After that they all have flaws.  Fromm and Eason bring no running game with them. Fromm is short and doesn't have a strong arm.  Smart and brings intangibles but doesn't sound like a future pro starter. 

These are the same sources that told us Trubisky was a starter?  (Sorry...couldn't resist).  

22 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Just remember , 50% of all first round picks fail, good thing we don't have a first round pick. People that  get paid to do player judgment don't get it right that often it's just something to talk about. 

There is a reason Bill Belichick collects so many draft picks each year.  He doesn't get that many right either, he just plays the odds.