Derek Carr?

McGowan

I see some speculation that it could mean Mack back to the Raiders (which i HIGHLY DOUBT and HOPE).  But I know Carr and Gruden's relationship has been tenuous at best so...  I see this as more a speculation of what's to come and knowing the Bears need (or are in the market for) a veteran backup.  I'd be good with Carr coming over if he didn't break the bank.

If anything, Gruden working a trade to get his 2nd rounder back. If that's all it takes to get Carr, you do it in a heartbeat. Carr would be worth more than any 2nd rounder. Now the trick will be the salary. LVR would have to retain some salary for it to work. 

6 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

If you believe that, you have lost all credibility with me.

Ha!  I didn’t know I had any credibility with you.  Lol...

Well then credibility be damned because the stats are what they are.  Yes I know Trubisky has a ‘lame line’ and ‘his receivers run the wrong routes’ and ‘Nagy doesn’t call the right plays’ (and so on) but right now, Carr is the better option.  Someday Trubisky could be the better option, maybe even next season but so far I don’t have any proof to tell me that is a guarantee. 

It's not about their individual stats.  For starters, Trubisky knows the offense and he knows how to run for his life.  Small miracles happen but it's not likely our line will be more than average this year.  Add in the 2nd rounder and the scales tip the balance toward Mitch.  Carr commands a decent salary that we cannot afford.  If we take that on, many holes don't get filled with free agent money.  Lastly, you don't throw your developing QB away for Derek Carr.  It's not even close.

44 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Again, not even close.  Mariota just completed his 5th year.

So we wait two more years to see if Trubisky works out?   The defense doesn’t have that long a shelf life.  We’ll be lucky if Mack and Hicks will be around that long.  

I suppose it comes down to tom-AY-to, tom-AH-to.  

As much as Carr is a better QB right now there is 3 things preventing that from happening.  Cost- with a lack of draft capital what do we have to offer? Cost- he is making 21 million this year, we are against the cap. Also is Carr the ideal fit for Nagys offense? I would say Bridgewater is a better QB right now but he is not a good fit for Nagys offense either.  Pace is not going to give up on MT this year, his career is based on this pick, he's going to let this play out. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Or Nagy can create a running offense that compliments his players to not throw the Defense away.  His offensive creation may blow defenses away if he ever has all the right pieces to make it work, but the 80 pass 20 run is not fooling anyone right now.  

Yeah, saw an interview on NFL Network with Kyle Long (not sure how old the interview was).  But they started to talk about potential QBs coming to Chicago and he cut them off to say the team needed a POWER running game.  And that although both current backs (Montgomery and Cohen) are great scat backs, they still needed that power running game.  When asked if Jordan Howard was that guy Long stopped short of saying yes.  But instead said he’s a great back and he’s not currently on the team.  And that the answer is “out there somewhere”. 

51 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yeah, saw an interview on NFL Network with Kyle Long (not sure how old the interview was).  But they started to talk about potential QBs coming to Chicago and he cut them off to say the team needed a POWER running game.  And that although both current backs (Montgomery and Cohen) are great scat backs, they still needed that power running game.  When asked if Jordan Howard was that guy Long stopped short of saying yes.  But instead said he’s a great back and he’s not currently on the team.  And that the answer is “out there somewhere”. 

Kyle is really good on TV.  I saw him for a little bit on NFL Network and he was both informative and entertaining to listen to.  He's going to land somewhere either local or national.