Prince & Gabriel to be cut...

madlithuanian

• adam featured and pinned this topic

Too bad for both Gabriel and Amukamara. Injury and age ended up getting the best of them.  Good luck to them both and thank you for your service.

FWIW between Gabriel and Miller I’d have chose Gabriel every day and Tuesday.  (And no I’m not saying they made a bad choice in releasing Taylor - I’m just sayin). 

3 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Too bad for both Gabriel and Amukamara. Injury and age ended up getting the best of them.  Good luck to them both and thank you for your service.

FWIW between Gabriel and Miller I’d have chose Gabriel every day and Tuesday.  (And no I’m not saying they made a bad choice in releasing Taylor - I’m just sayin). 

Gabriel was at his peak, Miller still has a ton of potential. He is a little immature, but with a baby on the way, I think he will grow up quick.

No surprise. The big questions ahead are what to do about Floyd, and whether the team wants to allot money on Patterson, or use it somewhere else. He's a good player, but you cant have everything, and they struggled to find a role for him last year, so what they do will be interesting.

And, I wouldn't be me if I didnt also add - what they do with Leno... TRADE!

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

On Patterson:  he was a special teams stud in all phases.  If they can get him on the field for 15-20 plays a game on offense, he is worth keeping.

Agreed.  He seems like a perfect U or Y TE (whichever catches more).  The little they used him late in the season and out of the slot or in trips he almost always got at least 10ish YACs.  

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Agreed.  He seems like a perfect U or Y TE (whichever catches more).  The little they used him late in the season and out of the slot or in trips he almost always got at least 10ish YACs.  

Actually he is a lousy TE option.  As a inline blocker, bad , as a blocker against DBs, he did good.  He is 223, how many TEs are that light? He is not known for having a high catch rate but as a speciality players with less touches he has been fine. As soon as you give him 70 targets it will show. 

Everyone has tried Patterson as a WR but he can't catch on.   Being a "U" TE won't be any different especially in Nagy's complex offense.  He's always going to be a specialty player who will occasionally catch some passes.  

On to bigger things our cap space just went up to $26.3mil with more moves to come.  Hopefully they can extend Allen Robinson's contract and also Floyd's, if they intend to keep him, and free up another $10mil or so.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap/

• adam unpinned this topic

✌
50 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Everyone has tried Patterson as a WR but he can't catch on.   Being a "U" TE won't be any different especially in Nagy's complex offense.  He's always going to be a specialty player who will occasionally catch some passes.  

On to bigger things our cap space just went up to $26.3mil with more moves to come.  Hopefully they can extend Allen Robinson's contract and also Floyd's, if they intend to keep him, and free up another $10mil or so.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap/

We are looking much better now cap-wise, and if you only consider starters, we have 4 holes: at RG (Long), ILB (Trevathan), CB (Prince), and SS (HHCD). Not bad for that cap space. If you add TE to the list, that's 5, and then if you don't re-sign Floyd, that adds another for 6. However, cutting Shaheen/Braunecker and not keeping Floyd saves $16M-ish, so we would have over $42M for 6 starters in which at least two should be addressed in the draft, leaving 4 starters to address in FA. 

I think we would all agree we need to replace him but the circumstances of 4 long term money contracts on the OL prohibits that. Take in consideration we have no backup in place to take over for him. A better option in FAgency will cost to much. The chances of us drafting a LT starter on day 2 is slim. There is a better chance he plays better in 2020 than what we could replace him with.  If he can reduce his penalties and play like 2018 , he would be acceptable. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

We are looking much better now cap-wise, and if you only consider starters, we have 4 holes: at RG (Long), ILB (Trevathan), CB (Prince), and SS (HHCD). Not bad for that cap space. If you add TE to the list, that's 5, and then if you don't re-sign Floyd, that adds another for 6. However, cutting Shaheen/Braunecker and not keeping Floyd saves $16M-ish, so we would have over $42M for 6 starters in which at least two should be addressed in the draft, leaving 4 starters to address in FA. 

I think we bring in competition at CB but not a clear starter.  ILB will be a cheaper Trevathan, a 6 mil a year contract with Kwit or KLP. RG will be a cheaper RG in FAency or a draft pick.  The wildcard is if Bars can play and takes over at RG. We have to bring in a SS,  fournitely there are a lot in FA and probably can get one to do a HaHa deal like we got last year.  TE will be added  in the draft.

So the draft will come down probably only having to fill one spot as a starter and add a speedy WR or a OT prospect. 

37 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think we would all agree we need to replace him but the circumstances of 4 long term money contracts on the OL prohibits that.

That is a logical fallacy - the trap of "sunk costs"

If we keep him, we pay $10 Mil this year against the cap. If we cut him, we lose $7 Mil on the cap. We can lower that to $2 Million this year by pushing $5mil to next years cap.

So we save at least $3Mil cutting (or trading) him.

But regardless of all this money stuff, he is TERRIBLE. They MUST see it.

I think he might stay as a backup, but he does not start opening day 2020.

well it's a prediction, neither of us KNOWS of course.

But the logical fallacy is the idea that you have to continue with a losing idea because of "sunk costs." And it's a generalized logical fallacy it isn't just about Leno or whatever, it's a standard thing they teach in business school.

Of course that doesnt mean they dont still think he is their best alternative - maybe they do, we just disagree on that.

So Stinger, do you and I have a gentleman's wager (no $) on this? I say Leno doesn't start at OLT on snap #1 of the 2020 regular season, you say he does?

https://www.behavioraleconomics.com/resources/mini-encyclopedia-of-be/sunk-cost-fallacy/

For example, individuals sometimes order too much food and then over-eat just to “get their money’s worth”. Similarly, a person may have a $20 ticket to a concert and then drive for hours through a blizzard, just because she feels that she has to attend due to having made the initial investment. If the costs outweigh the benefits, the extra costs incurred (inconvenience, time or even money) are held in a different mental account than the one associated with the ticket transaction (Thaler, 1999).

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

well it's a prediction, neither of us KNOWS of course.

But the logical fallacy is the idea that you have to continue with a losing idea because of "sunk costs." And it's a generalized logical fallacy it isn't just about Leno or whatever, it's a standard thing they teach in business school.

Of course that doesnt mean they dont still think he is their best alternative - maybe they do, we just disagree on that.

So Stinger, do you and I have a gentleman's wager (no $) on this? I say Leno doesn't start at OLT on snap #1 of the 2020 regular season, you say he does?

We have to chug a beer , video it and post here? The only presser is not because of injury. 

• adam unfeatured this topic