Jimmy Graham a Bear

adam

Wow, shocked at this one. I didn't think he fit the mold they were looking for. A good pass catcher, but so-so blocker. Seems like an overpay after what Burton makes. $8M AAV for a soon to be 34 yr old TE? Hooper got $11M a year for 4 years. We save 3M but get a much older TE. Odd move for me.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about this, the worse it gets. What a terrible move by Pace. This is a desperation move IMO. $8M for a middle of the road TE on the backend of his career. What a head scratcher. I would've said this for $5M. $8M is a crazy over pay for this production. Ebron won't even get that much. Terrible move.

10 minutes ago, adam said:

The more I think about this, the worse it gets. What a terrible move by Pace. This is a desperation move IMO. $8M for a middle of the road TE on the backend of his career. What a head scratcher. I would've said this for $5M. $8M is a crazy over pay for this production. Ebron won't even get that much. Terrible move.

Yeah I'm with you.  Doesn't make a lot of sense. Seems like another Burton-style hire; may do good coming out of the block but probably will fizzle quick.  

Just for reference (source ProFootballReference):

New Orleans (5 yrs):  386 Rec for 4752 yards and 51 TDs

Seattle (3 yrs):  170 Rec for 2048 yards and 18 TDs

GB (2 yrs):  93 Rec for 1083 yards and 5 TDs.  

His catch percentage has maintained above 60% over the course of his career but that was with Brees, Wilson and Rodgers  throwing to him.  

If they wanted to kick the tires on him for 4 or 5 mil on 1 yr , I would understand but with limited cap space, this is absolutely a desperate move.  The Packers were hurting for pass catchers last year and he had 38 receptions with Rodgers.  There is nothing here that's tells me, he will be better than that now. He wasn't even a red zone target for Aaron.  

Pace must have the beer virus. 

I would rather prefer Horsted with upside given his snaps.  This tells me Pace only has 1 year left at his job. Other than Paces ties with NO, who ever thought this was a good idea should be fired now. 

I really like the idea of signing Jimmy Graham.  We were desperate for help at TE.

I HATE the idea of paying 8 million per.  He’s more like a 3-5 million guy.  We have extremely limited resources and this is a decadent expenditure.  Not worth the price.  

This could be the Mike Glennon of TEs to cover for a draft pick, who can develop behind him for half a season if necessary.

Just like Glennon, we may be thinking the money is more than it really is, NFL salary cap inflation is much steeper than ours.

This might be Pace's worst move... evah.   I agree it's desperation to fix the TE spot.  The salary is one thing but the guaranteed money bothers me.  If this were a deal where we could bring him into camp and let him compete and if he's not worth $8mil let him go I could live with it.  

The only way this makes sense is if Burton is gone because then we must have someone with experience to fill that U TE role.  A rookie will never fill that slot in year 1.  We can't pay $14mil to two broken down TEs.  I assume Burton's rehab is not going well and the team has concerns he'll never return to form.  I expect Burton to get cut in the near future, or maybe as I think Adam has been saying if cut after Jun 1st we take minimal cap hit this year.   

Now draft Claypool to groom for the role behind Graham for a season.  I have no idea if Graham is a good locker room guy who helps coach the younger players but that's a must have on this team.   I have to think it was part of Pace's decision.   

With this move , we have 10 TEs in the house. Get rid of Burton as a June 1 cut , I think we pick up 5 mil and use that money on another position.  Cut Braunnecker and Shaheen and we pick up 3 more mil there. The only salvation with Graham is if he gives us a red zone target and gets us 8 to 10 TDs. 

3 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

I was remembering Graham the younger player. I just watched some more recent film on him. Yikes.

I think I was right when iw as saying fire everyone. PLEASE make me eat those words Bears.

I'm an optimist but I'm in the same lane with you now.  The Graham grab is so not a good idea. 

I'm undecided on the signing. I would have preferred rolling the dice with drafting a 2nd rd TE & signing a healthy young TE in FA for less money.

Unfortunately, all FAs are going to get big pay days with the new CBA, especially going forward.

This is literally a Dion Sims move. I don't care about the good moves Pace makes, he continually does these head scratchers and I feel like we will never get back to the top with him at the helm. His reluctance to move away from mistakes and his penchant for overpaying guys like this really hurts the team. There are problem 1,000 players I would rather have for that money than Jimmy Graham, maybe more. Terrible terrible move. 

I guess this takes TE off the board for the Bears in the draft, right?  I mean they have like ten TEs on the roster.  Graham stays.  Burton stays if he's healthy, I assume.  They added Harris as a blocking TE.  I would hope you can find one other guy worth keeping between Holtz, Horstead, Raymond, and Shaheen.  I mean, none of those options are exactly great (as we've seen), but signing Graham would be an even bigger waste if we then went into the draft and spent a high pick on Kmet or someone, right?