Jimmy Graham a Bear

adam

56 minutes ago, adam said:

This is literally a Dion Sims move. I don't care about the good moves Pace makes, he continually does these head scratchers and I feel like we will never get back to the top with him at the helm. 

I originally thought the signing of Demetrius Harris was the ‘Dion Sims’ moment of 2020...but then this happened. You’re right.  

If we could figure out a way for Pace to stick to just 3rd and 4th round picks, and nothing else, then maybe the Bears would have a chance at a championship. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I guess this takes TE off the board for the Bears in the draft, right?  I mean they have like ten TEs on the roster.  Graham stays.  Burton stays if he's healthy, I assume.  They added Harris as a blocking TE.  I would hope you can find one other guy worth keeping between Holtz, Horstead, Raymond, and Shaheen.  I mean, none of those options are exactly great (as we've seen), but signing Graham would be an even bigger waste if we then went into the draft and spent a high pick on Kmet or someone, right?

I hope not, we have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier TEs and have $15M committed to them.

13 hours ago, dawhizz said:

I guess this takes TE off the board for the Bears in the draft, right?  I mean they have like ten TEs on the roster.  Graham stays.  Burton stays if he's healthy, I assume.  They added Harris as a blocking TE.  I would hope you can find one other guy worth keeping between Holtz, Horstead, Raymond, and Shaheen.  I mean, none of those options are exactly great (as we've seen), but signing Graham would be an even bigger waste if we then went into the draft and spent a high pick on Kmet or someone, right?

I think it makes us more desperate for a TE.  

22 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

The problem is we need those first few picks to fill needs we don't get in free agency.  Unless they draft komet , I  think he is most complete TE of the group. .

I keep thinking that signing Graham is an indication that the Bears didn't really like many of the TEs available in the draft.  at #43, it seems reasonable that maybe one TE is drafted before the Bears pick but just as likely that they will all be on the board.  The Graham signing will look even less sensible if they turn around and draft Kmet at #43.  It seems more likely that they grab someone in the middle to late rounds to me, or just see if anyone emerges from the current clown car of TEs they have during preseason.

On 3/18/2020 at 11:49 AM, dawhizz said:

I keep thinking that signing Graham is an indication that the Bears didn't really like many of the TEs available in the draft.  at #43, it seems reasonable that maybe one TE is drafted before the Bears pick but just as likely that they will all be on the board.  The Graham signing will look even less sensible if they turn around and draft Kmet at #43.  It seems more likely that they grab someone in the middle to late rounds to me, or just see if anyone emerges from the current clown car of TEs they have during preseason.

I think they should draft one still. Nagy has said TE is almost as complicated as QB in his scheme.  It might take a good year just to learn. 

30 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think they should draft one still. Nagy has said TE is almost as complicated as QB in his scheme.  It might take a good year just to learn. 

If that's true, that suggests to me that they should see what the guys who were here last year can do this year now that they have a year under their belt.

On 3/16/2020 at 4:55 PM, adam said:

The only thing that saves us is this does not count against comp picks since he was cut. So we would still get comp for Kwit, maybe Prince and Gabriel. 

Wasn't Prince / Gabriel cut (so no comp pick for them).  I think I read where we are projected for 2-3 comp picks (based upon Kwit, Nick Williams, KPL, HHCD).  Don't think we get jack for Floyd/Prince/Gabriel. Floyd is the one that hurts. 

On 3/16/2020 at 7:46 PM, Stinger226 said:

With this move , we have 10 TEs in the house. Get rid of Burton as a June 1 cut , I think we pick up 5 mil and use that money on another position.  Cut Braunnecker and Shaheen and we pick up 3 more mil there. The only salvation with Graham is if he gives us a red zone target and gets us 8 to 10 TDs. 

IF Burton is healthy, he's by far their best tight end.  Bears have massive hole at TE and had to kind of make this move when the TE market was full of crap.  They will need to address via draft, but could pass and just rely on who they have now.  Not great, but last years TEs were the worst in the history of the NFL.  

On 3/17/2020 at 9:10 AM, Stinger226 said:

There is 16 committed to Burton and Graham and I think  this signing means our first 3 picks wont be a TE . We draft one late.

The good news is that is basically $16M that can be dumped and applied to some real players a year from now (not quite 16M but I don't think there is a ton of dead money on either player after this year).  

4 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

IF Burton is healthy, he's by far their best tight end.  Bears have massive hole at TE and had to kind of make this move when the TE market was full of crap.  They will need to address via draft, but could pass and just rely on who they have now.  Not great, but last years TEs were the worst in the history of the NFL.  

With all the TES we have, someone is going to step up or step out. Burton staying healthy or jesper stepping up. Remains to be seen. 

7 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Wasn't Prince / Gabriel cut (so no comp pick for them).  I think I read where we are projected for 2-3 comp picks (based upon Kwit, Nick Williams, KPL, HHCD).  Don't think we get jack for Floyd/Prince/Gabriel. Floyd is the one that hurts. 

Yeah, if cut/released, you do not get compensation for them. However, we have the max right now with 4x Comp picks (all 6th rounders) and we can still sign a guy that would negate one and still have 4x, except we would have 3x 6th rounders and 1x 7th rounder (Lucas). You also forgot Daniel.

Quinn negates Kwit, then we get 4x 6ths for Daniel, Williams, KPL, and HHCD. Since 4x is the max, we don't gain one for Lucas. If we sign someone else that compensates another team, we lose one of our 6th's then gain a 7th for Lucas. 

What did New Orleans do different with Jimmy Graham that Sea and GB didn't? Not saying we find lightning in a bottle, but maybe how Nagy wants to use the TE fits Graham more so than Ebron or Walker etc. 

Also, sure he cost more up front, but we may get back a draft pick by taking him over those others. Signing Ebron would negate a comp pick.  Probably not worth the extra millions, but it holds some value.

Just searching for reason is all

38 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

What did New Orleans do different with Jimmy Graham that Sea and GB didn't? Not saying we find lightning in a bottle, but maybe how Nagy wants to use the TE fits Graham more so than Ebron or Walker etc. 

Also, sure he cost more up front, but we may get back a draft pick by taking him over those others. Signing Ebron would negate a comp pick.  Probably not worth the extra millions, but it holds some value.

Just searching for reason is all

I think the main thing NO did was to have him when he was younger.

This may be a nostalgia / Saints mistake by Pace.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I'm always hopeful everything works out but Graham was a low end TE that got top money.  He clearly should have been a 1 yr 5 mil deal. 

That would have been much more appropriate.  I know there was some desperation there and it really seems like Nagy pushes Pace's buttons at this one position.   We over-spent on Burton when he was a FA too.  In the meantime there hasn't really been any development from the players on the bottom end of the roster.   All I can say and hope for is that Graham was running better in the 2019 highlights I saw as compared to what I remembered.  Hopefully the Bears have him lose a bit of weight to gain back some quickness and speed.  Let the other TE (Harris not Shaheen) handle the heavy inline blocking job.    

These are players we could have had at Graham's salary. 

Ebron....Anthony Brown /CB......E. Ogbah...R. Wagner/ OT......Xavier Su'a-Fo/ OG.....Gurley/  RB......Adrian Phillips/S.....Jeff Heath/S......josh norman/CB......C. Lucas.....Klye Frackell/OLB....HaHa....john Miller/OG....Kevin Johnson/CB....KPL....Stefen Wisniewski/OG....Karl Joseph/S....

In a lot of cases at their prices you could pick up 2 for the money. 

Then this morning I was listening to Olin kruest on the score and he liked the signing., he liked it and he's right a lot.