Foles it is

dawhizz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Traded to Bears for Bears 4th round comp pick per Schefter.  Seems like an overpay but what else is new around here.

Over pay?  I think this is a great deal. His salary is only 15 million this year and we have no bonus tied to him.  If it doesn't work, he's gone and doesn't cost us anything but the pick. 

Peace

Meh... system QB that will maybe challenge Mitch for his job.  Maybe more importantly; if having a Super Bowl MVP doesn’t light a fire under his ass and he still not be able to perform,  then he’s worn out his excuses.  

The price at $15 million and a fourth doesn’t seem all that great a deal considering there were better QBs out there for a little more.  But yes it depends on how it’s all structured.  Also safest way for Pace to save face without outright admitting Trubiksy is a failure.  (Disclaimer to some:  And this is just one dude’s opinion).  

Losing the 4th round pick suggests to me that unless there's a guy they love sitting there, the Bears could very well trade back with both their 2nd round picks.  Something like #43 to the Jets for #48 and #120, and then #50 to the Chiefs for #63 and #96.  Two picks in the first 162 picks is not going to cut it.

We didnt have the money to get a top flight QB, so we put the money into Quinn instead and we are going to ride a dominant defense front 7. This is good because Nagys offensive play calls are a bit mitigated by this.

That said, Foles has upside. Heck, Trubisky has upside. The odds that one of them will at least be serviceable is high.

We still need some players at S and CB, and of course on the OL too. I think those are all coming, not big name first day signings, but solid $5 Mil a year type guys.

While I am a bit headscratching the Jimmy Graham move, between him, Burton and a possible rookie, I think we will be OK at least at TE.

I think we are about in as good shape as possible at this point int he process, and I am thankful that Pace has done this pretty well. Of course it's all necessary because he whiffed on 1st round picks Trubisky and Floyd in the first place.

Now clean up your trainwreck on the OL Mr Pace. (And I do think he will, and Im not critical that it hasnt happened yet - for cap reasons)

30 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meh... system QB that will maybe challenge Mitch for his job.  Maybe more importantly; if having a Super Bowl MVP doesn’t light a fire under his ass and he still not be able to perform,  then he’s worn out his excuses.  

The price at $15 million and a fourth doesn’t seem all that great a deal considering there were better QBs out there for a little more.  But yes it depends on how it’s all structured.  Also safest way for Pace to save face without outright admitting Trubiksy is a failure.  (Disclaimer to some:  And this is just one dude’s opinion).  

I'm ok with Foles as the backup.  He's ideal in a way considering he knows the scheme and has had some success in it and he will not be a distraction in the locker room.  He's just enough to push Trubisky to get better and just enough to jump in and keep the offense serviceable should he fail.    

Really hate losing the 4th Rd pick and not happy about spending $15mil.  There is a rumor the Bears are restructuring some contracts to make cap space.  First up would seem to be ARob.  

For me, bottom line.  If one of them comes out as above average next year we have hope going forward.  If they both crash and burn we can both Pace and Nagy and start a true rebuild with a clean slate of draft picks.  And a few good players still on the roster.  For almost 60 years I've watched this team for only one reason.  Defense and a hope the offense would get up to par.  Why change that now. smh

I am in the middle on this one. Here are our 2x QB's career stats:

QB A - 48 starts, 26-22 Record, 1051-1698, 61.9%, 11901 yds, 71 TD, 35 INT, 7.0 Y/A
QB B - 41 starts, 23-18 Record, 811-1280, 63.4%, 8554 yds, 48 TD, 29 INT, 6.7 Y/A

Foles has never started more than 11 games in his career in a single season, and has only started 10 or more twice. This is his 6th different team in 7 years. He reminds me of Parkey as a QB. I would've preferred Dalton, but I guess they were looking for someone with more experience with Nagy's system.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, open competition, or an anointed starter.

3 minutes ago, adam said:

I am in the middle on this one. Here are our 2x QB's career stats:

QB A - 48 starts, 26-22 Record, 1051-1698, 61.9%, 11901 yds, 71 TD, 35 INT, 7.0 Y/A
QB B - 41 starts, 23-18 Record, 811-1280, 63.4%, 8554 yds, 48 TD, 29 INT, 6.7 Y/A

Foles has never started more than 11 games in his career in a single season, and has only started 10 or more twice. This is his 6th different team in 7 years. He reminds me of Parkey as a QB. I would've preferred Dalton, but I guess they were looking for someone with more experience with Nagy's system.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, open competition, or an anointed starter.

Read an article that made a good point.  There is potential for much of the offseason training (minicamps/OTAs) to get canceled this year.  Having a QB walk in the door who already knows the system is a big plus.  

4 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Read an article that made a good point.  There is potential for much of the offseason training (minicamps/OTAs) to get canceled this year.  Having a QB walk in the door who already knows the system is a big plus.  

To start? Is he the backup? Even with that extra knowledge, what is Foles' ceiling? 2013 was a crazy anomaly in his career. Outside of that season and those numbers he has been inferior to Trubisky in everything but TDs.

His career-high in yards is 2891. What a joke. Mike Glennon's career-high 2608.

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Oh crap, outside of Foles' ridiculous 2013 season where he threw 27 TDs and 2 INTs, he has 44 TDs to 33 INTs. Trubisky has 48-29. This is a joke right. This guy is going to do nothing for us.

And 7 of those 27 came against the 29th ranked Raiders defense when he got red hot 1 game.  Better hope something big changes on the line or we're starting over in 2021.   I'm glad the defense got potentially better.  

13 minutes ago, FlyfishingBear said:

And 7 of those 27 came against the 29th ranked Raiders defense when he got red hot 1 game.  Better hope something big changes on the line or we're starting over in 2021.   I'm glad the defense got potentially better.  

What is this though? Is he the starter? Is he here to help Trubisky learn to read defenses as a high school level? Like what's the plan here? Same for TE. It's a rotation of overpaid, crappy players. Do you want Burton in there with a phantom injury? Graham who can't block or run anymore? How about Shaheen who is so unathletic he gets hurt stretching? This is the 2020 plan?

Foles and Trubisky battling it out at QB, Graham and Burton at TE? Of all the outcomes, this is probably the worst. I would've rather done nothing, kept the 4th rounder and the cap space instead of bringing on this dead weight.

My prediction right now is 5-11. The biggest problems on the team have not been addressed and we are out of cap space. We still need a TE, a QB, a WR3, a CB, a SS, and depth at ILB and DL. We could also use upgrades at OT. Quinn, Graham, and Foles have consumed the remaining cap. Outside of a few C-list FA's on $1M one-year deals, that's all we have left, and now only 2x 2nd rounders to fill 5-6 holes. This is unbelievable. 

Honestly, how much better is Foles and Graham than Glennon and Sims. 

5 minutes ago, adam said:

What is this though? Is he the starter? Is he here to help Trubisky learn to read defenses as a high school level? Like what's the plan here? Same for TE. It's a rotation of overpaid, crappy players. Do you want Burton in there with a phantom injury? Graham who can't block or run anymore? How about Shaheen who is so unathletic he gets hurt stretching? This is the 2020 plan?

Foles and Trubisky battling it out at QB, Graham and Burton at TE? Of all the outcomes, this is probably the worst. I would've rather done nothing, kept the 4th rounder and the cap space instead of bringing on this dead weight.

My prediction right now is 5-11. The biggest problems on the team have not been addressed and we are out of cap space. We still need a TE, a QB, a WR3, a CB, a SS, and depth at ILB and DL. We could also use upgrades at OT. Quinn, Graham, and Foles have consumed the remaining cap. Outside of a few C-list FA's on $1M one-year deals, that's all we have left, and now only 2x 2nd rounders to fill 5-6 holes. This is unbelievable. 

I'm feeling the exact same way.  This is so disappointing.  Like every year,  I'll hope for the best,  bring my expectations down and try not to drink too heavily on a Sunday afternoons 😁

19 minutes ago, adam said:

This was the exact question I was going to ask.  Especially about Glennon.  I’m becoming more convinced that neither Pace or Nagy know what a good starting QB looks like. 

Along the lines of ‘Flyfishing’ above and based on Trubiskys and Foles’ similarities; we know how “well” Trubiksy plays with the defense but not Foles.  Has he ever had a comparable level defense?  

12 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This was the exact question I was going to ask.  Especially about Glennon.  I’m becoming more convinced that neither Pace or Nagy know what a good starting QB looks like. 

Along the lines of ‘Flyfishing’ above and based on Trubiskys and Foles’ similarities; we know how “well” Trubiksy plays with the defense but not Foles.  Has he ever had a comparable level defense?  

He's been on teams with a top 10 total defense every year of his career,  except his rookie season. 

20200318_143133.jpg

Any way they went would have its criticism.  I am just happy they made a move and not left this in MTs hands alone.  The proof is in the pudding.  If we succeed, everyone is a winner.  If we lose  Pace is gone anyway. I heard on Twitter , another team wanted him. If we lost the deal because we only offered a 5th , then what would anyone say. This is a much better move than the Graham move. If Pace hits on both 2s a surprise later pick , I will be happy with the draft.  I see him aggressively trying to trade back with both our 2nd round picks so we may still end up with 4 in top 100. All of this is not over yet.  There will be some gets at the end of the 2nd tier  CB and S. Let's see who they end up with. Anybody complaining about getting KLP and Nick Williams last year at this time? We have to let this play out and look at it at training camp, not now when we don't even know how soon football will start this year. One good point is Foles has no learning to do , he played in it already.  We don't the cost of Dalton or Cam would have been.  Would anybody be complaining if we had to give up a 2 for oone of them? 

I am going to look at this as a positive move until it proves otherwise.  I don't think anyone on here has the beer flu, we're all winners. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

For me, bottom line.  If one of them comes out as above average next year we have hope going forward.  If they both crash and burn we can both Pace and Nagy and start a true rebuild with a clean slate of draft picks.  And a few good players still on the roster.  For almost 60 years I've watched this team for only one reason.  Defense and a hope the offense would get up to par.  Why change that now. smh

We agree!! :)

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Foles won the Super Bowl MVP. He is only 31. His teammates love him. I personally am extremely happy with this move. 

Peace