Foles it is

dawhizz

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

Foles won the Super Bowl MVP. He is only 31. His teammates love him. I personally am extremely happy with this move. 

Peace

So did Joe Flacco.  

But I get what you’re saying.  It’s easy to expect nothing more than mediocrity from him and hope he excels; which we know he can.  Based on his performance those two seasons (2013 and the year he led the Eagles to the SB) we know he can handle the pressure.  And really we don’t have a lot to lose.  If either (or both) or them do well we’re looking pretty for next year (which is what was said before Glennon started for us). If they both flop, we start the whole rebuild over again ... minus Nagy and Pace.  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only hope is that whoever wins out is better than Trubisky was in 2019. That's all I ask. Someone that can score more than 17 points a game. Hopefully Foles is the answer and he kills it. I am hopeful for him but just not optimistic based on his history. If he was that good we wouldn't have him right now.

Foles career is so weird. The dude has played 58 games and has 10x 300-yard games, yet 4 of them were 400-yard games. In his 400 yard games, he has 16 TDs and 4 INTs. So this guys stats are really skewed by a few insane games. Same for the playoffs, he had two good games in the playoffs that ultimately led to a SB win. 

He was replaced in Philly by Sam Bradford, then replaced in STL by Jared Goff, sat behind Alex Smith in KC, then behind Wentz in Philly, then got replaced by Minshew in JAX. So this is the guy that is going to be magically better than all the guys he couldn't beat out for a job?

I am still not seeing how he is a Nagy QB either, he doesn't run RPOs. He has 129 carries in his lifetime for 390 yards (almost all scrambles). So maybe the RPOs were for Mitch and Nagy wanted to do something else. We will see this year.

Not sure what everyone was expecting, but this is what I suspected. A veteran backup on a short term contract.  I didn't want a high priced QB coming in and Jay Cutlering the team again. If Trubisky doesn't elevate, then we have a player in Foles that should be able to step in and give the team a little more than Daniel's.  After next season the team can focus on a long term solution with a 1st round pick.  Foles and Quinn are decent additions.  Graham worries me, but who knows. He might flourish in this scheme.

1 hour ago, adam said:

I am still not seeing how he is a Nagy QB either, he doesn't run RPOs. He has 129 carries in his lifetime for 390 yards (almost all scrambles). So maybe the RPOs were for Mitch and Nagy wanted to do something else. We will see this year.

I think at this point we can expect (hope) that either will become more a game manager...ala Alex Smith.  If that be the case I’d hedge my bets on Foles due to his game time experience.  BUT they need to keep him in a clean pocket or it’ll be for naught. 

I saw somewhere that his acquisition amounted to $15 million and the fourth round pick we got for shit-canning Mike Davis last year.  So...maybe not as bad originally thought.  Still a lot of money though...

Foles has had success in this system and has a history of working with Nagy and the new coaches we brought in. Im sory of surprised now that I know the history that this wasnt already predicted.

He doesnt have to be great and win games, he just needs to manage the offense while the defense plays well.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

Foles has had success in this system and has a history of working with Nagy and the new coaches we brought in. Im sory of surprised now that I know the history that this wasnt already predicted.

He doesnt have to be great and win games, he just needs to manage the offense while the defense plays well.

I think it was predicted but Jacksonville had to eat a big cap hit and that wasn't entirely clear they would do that.  Plus there was a ton of smoke on the Derek Carr or Andy Dalton to Chicago deal that stayed above the fold (for those old enough to have actually read a newspaper).   I think if Carr was available he'd be here and Trubisky would be gone.   With that off the table it meant we figure out best deal for Dalton or Foles.   Anyone asking for Cam only remembers him when he won the MVP and not the broken down version who couldn't throw.  Anytime you have no option but to make a QB change his throwing motion after shoulder surgery it's not a good sign.  How many of us can change a lifetime sports habit?    

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

👉.

Meaning yes I would for Cam and maybe for

I think he is our best option of who is available.  Its nice if it wouldn't cost anything but it doesn't work that way. If all this means we get to the playoffs that is all I care about.  I don't care how they do it. They will lose they job if they screw this up, not me. 

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I think it was predicted but Jacksonville had to eat a big cap hit and that wasn't entirely clear they would do that.  Plus there was a ton of smoke on the Derek Carr or Andy Dalton to Chicago deal that stayed above the fold (for those old enough to have actually read a newspaper).   I think if Carr was available he'd be here and Trubisky would be gone.   With that off the table it meant we figure out best deal for Dalton or Foles.   Anyone asking for Cam only remembers him when he won the MVP and not the broken down version who couldn't throw.  Anytime you have no option but to make a QB change his throwing motion after shoulder surgery it's not a good sign.  How many of us can change a lifetime sports habit?    

AZ, good points, thanks for the info - youre right about the cap being an unpredictable thing. Still it's almost as if they assembled this staff specifically for Foles, given how much history he has with all of the new hires.

Im not all in on Foles. I really dont know how good he can be. But there is reason to think there may be upside to him and/or Trubisky. They've both shown flashes, and they've both regressed. If we can get one of them to make the right reads, and get the ball out on time, we should have enough skill players and defense around them to win some games.

(we need OL help or none of it matters)

I knew a bunch of this stuff, but maybe not all of it. It's interesting to see how connected Foles is to Bears coaches and current and former players. From Alshon Jeffries, to Burton on the Philly special. Like did anyone realize yet (not that it means anything) that we have the passer and reciever of the play that beat the Patriots in the Superbowl? :)

Anyway, here's a better look at Foles' history in the league. He seems to do well in certain systems (like ours!)

And

And here is new QB coach John DeFilippo who tutored Foles in Philly AND Jacksonville doing some film study on Foles. I gotta say, hearing him talk does inspire some confidence, and shows maybe what Mitch should have been doing, and wasnt.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:36 PM, dawhizz said:

Losing the 4th round pick suggests to me that unless there's a guy they love sitting there, the Bears could very well trade back with both their 2nd round picks.  Something like #43 to the Jets for #48 and #120, and then #50 to the Chiefs for #63 and #96.  Two picks in the first 162 picks is not going to cut it.

That sounds like one helluva a good plan.  But based on what Pace has done, isn’t it more likely that we trade up instead of down? 

17 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this before but the reason we had to give a forth is because Jacksonville took a 18.75 million cap hit to do the deal. We had to give them something for doing that. 

Nice!  I didn’t know that.  I did know that he can opt out of his contract after next season.  

• 2 weeks later...

Did we get Foles for just $8mil/yr?  It seems that way.   We paid Daniel $5mil/yr the last two years.  Moving to a Superbowl winning backup for just $3mil more per year seems like a coup.  Pace wanted the cap space more than the draft pick.  I think this is a very good deal for us.  In a year with few picks giving up the 4th Rd pick hurt the day we made the deal.  Looking at it now with these numbers the cap space in exchange for the pick enabled us to add more veteran depth to the roster. 

For a team with a Superbowl caliber defense having more vets as backups is much better than rookies, especially when talking about picks on the 3rd day of the draft.  Say what you want about Artie Burns he's at least a known commodity more than any 4th Rd CB.  

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1245381531289489413

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Did we get Foles for just $8mil/yr?  It seems that way.   We paid Daniel $5mil/yr the last two years.  Moving to a Superbowl winning backup for just $3mil more per year seems like a coup.  Pace wanted the cap space more than the draft pick.  I think this is a very good deal for us.  In a year with few picks giving up the 4th Rd pick hurt the day we made the deal.  Looking at it now with these numbers the cap space in exchange for the pick enabled us to add more veteran depth to the roster. 

For a team with a Superbowl caliber defense having more vets as backups is much better than rookies, especially when talking about picks on the 3rd day of the draft.  Say what you want about Artie Burns he's at least a known commodity more than any 4th Rd CB.  

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1245381531289489413

Yeah, the deal is $8M with incentives up to $14M, but still nothing compared to the original numbers. This makes the deal for a 4th much easier to understand. The Bears traded cap space for the draft pick. Clearly in a win now mode for 2020 and 2021.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Yeah, the deal is $8M with incentives up to $14M, but still nothing compared to the original numbers. This makes the deal for a 4th much easier to understand. The Bears traded cap space for the draft pick. Clearly in a win now mode for 2020 and 2021.

We are now players in the Trent Williams sweepstakes.  I don't we're interested or not, but having extra money to work a deal out helps big time.  Cap cuts will happen directly after the draft.  We'll definitely be bidders for some of the quality vets that get cut.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Saw in today’s news that both Nagy and Pace are allowing Foles and Trubisky to compete for the starting QB role.  So much for Trubisky being our guy.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bears/2020/04/03/chicago-bears-nick-foles-mitchell-trubisky-quarterback-competition/2939869001/

I like it.  Mitchs' mental toughness has been questioned by a few in the know.  He either grows a set or rides the pine.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Saw in today’s news that both Nagy and Pace are allowing Foles and Trubisky to compete for the starting QB role.  So much for Trubisky being our guy.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bears/2020/04/03/chicago-bears-nick-foles-mitchell-trubisky-quarterback-competition/2939869001/

That is how it should be and why Foles first spoke to Mitch and told him to bring it. Does Mitch stand down or does he elevate? Like cutting Gould, he took it as an insult and worked on improving. Graham took it as an insult getting cut, first time, by GB. It woke him up and he is out to redeem himself.  Players get complacent if they don't have worries.  Like Massie and Leno, no competition, so they mailed it in. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

That is how it should be and why Foles first spoke to Mitch and told him to bring it. Does Mitch stand down or does he elevate? Like cutting Gould, he took it as an insult and worked on improving. Graham took it as an insult getting cut, first time, by GB. It woke him up and he is out to redeem himself.  Players get complacent if they don't have worries.  Like Massie and Leno, no competition, so they mailed it in. 

Yes!