Remaining Offseason Moves

adam

Holtz back on the roster according to Bears website, he was not there the other day:

QB (2): +Foles, Trubisky (-Daniel)
RB (3): Montgomery, Cohen, +Nall (-Davis, Whyte) 
WR (5): Robinson, Miller, Patterson, Ridley, Wims (-Gabriel) 
TE (9): Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker, +Holtz, +Horsted, +Raymond, +Harris, +Graham, +Saubert (-Sowell) 
OL (9): Leno, Whitehair, Daniels, Massie, Coward, +Bars, +Levin, +Boyd, +Mustipher (-Long, Larsen, Lucas) 
DL (6): Hicks, Goldman, Nichols, Robertson-Harris, Anderson, +Urban (-Williams)
OLB (5): Mack, +Quinn, Irving, +Mingo, +Vaughters (-Floyd, Lynch) 
ILB (5): Trevathan, Smith, Iyiegbuniwe, Woods, +Bond (-Kwiatkoski, Pierre-Louis) 
CB (8): Fuller, Skrine, Toliver, Shelley, +Roberson, +Burns, +Brice, +Denmark (-Amukamara)
S (4): Jackson, Bush, Houston-Carson, +Lucas (-Clinton-Dix, McManis)
ST (3): Pineiro, O'Donnell, Scales

We have an official logjam at TE. I can't see them adding another this offseason, too many bodies. The issue is that they can only have a 90 man roster and 10% are TE's? Something has to give there. I know a few of the lower end guys will drop off, but that still leaves a few others to deal with. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They could easily drop Braunnecker, Shaheen and Burton . Pick up money and thin the herd. If healthy Burton is the best TE but if not cut him and Graham takes his spot. 

I think Bond is a OLB, I'm not sure. 

They list Brice as a CB? That's odd. 

NYC, if you were debating in a courtroom, you could convince the jury to get Peters but in the court of the Bears, they're just not going to do that. I also read where Peters expects to get 7-8 mil on a 1 yr deal. 

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

They could easily drop Braunnecker, Shaheen and Burton . Pick up money and thin the herd. If healthy Burton is the best TE but if not cut him and Graham takes his spot. 

I think Bond is a OLB, I'm not sure. 

They list Brice as a CB? That's odd. 

NYC, if you were debating in a courtroom, you could convince the jury to get Peters but in the court of the Bears, they're just not going to do that. I also read where Peters expects to get 7-8 mil on a 1 yr deal. 

Peters is Orlando Pace 2.0

44 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

It seems the injury knocked him down the list. He will end up being a cheap get as a backup. 

However cheap a QB who can't throw can be.  For all the complaints about Mitch's inaccuracy Newton was far worse last year.  He never adapted to that new throwing motion that was required after his shoulder surgery and there's no reason to be confident he ever will.  

I didn't mean for us , somebody.

I think we're probably set in our front 7 other than a OLB draft pick to add to the mix.

Probably draft picks at S and CB on the back end.

Wr, OL ( maybe 2), RB, TE and QB up in the air

Pace is best at later round draft picks and  2nd tier FAs. His first rounders suck.

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Saw that Carolina tried peddling him to the Bears and the Chargers.  Neither took the bait.  

One of several rumors has him ending up in NE as a ‘try out’.   

"Tryout" is pretty low risk but he's definitely not a system QB like they need.  Yet one of the reasons Bill B. wins is he will adapt to the players on his roster.  I could even see him running a 2 QB system with different style QBs.  

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

However cheap a QB who can't throw can be.  For all the complaints about Mitch's inaccuracy Newton was far worse last year.  He never adapted to that new throwing motion that was required after his shoulder surgery and there's no reason to be confident he ever will.  

Newton was never healthy. With a whole off-season, someone might get an incredible steal. If he's healthy, he's worth his weight in gold. IF he isn't healthy, oh well. No QB who changed teams this off-season has more upside than Cam (and that includes Brady, imo). I say that because Cam is still young enough that you wouldn't be shocked to see the former MVP regain his footing and be a well above average QB for a few years. On Brady's case, his best years are definitely behind him...that not to say he isn't solid, but he's getting paid more for past success than future success, imo (and this is coming from a huge Brady fan).  

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

This causes me to think that if Foles starts, could they use MT in a similar role that NO uses Taysom Hill? 

This causes me to think that if Foles starts, could they use MT in a similar role that NO uses Taysom Hill? 

Right now I still think Mitch is the answer. The Bears brought Foles in because if Mitch doesn't take steps forward and fast, they can pivot pretty quickly to a guy who might just be a really good system fit.  And if Mitch does take off...Foles is just a great dude to have around. Its kind of a win / win move (other than fact I don't think we needed to give up the pick...but it sounds like other teams were offering at least a 5th rounder).  

8 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Right now I still think Mitch is the answer. The Bears brought Foles in because if Mitch doesn't take steps forward and fast, they can pivot pretty quickly to a guy who might just be a really good system fit.  And if Mitch does take off...Foles is just a great dude to have around. Its kind of a win / win move (other than fact I don't think we needed to give up the pick...but it sounds like other teams were offering at least a 5th rounder).  

Agreed.  Nothing amps and locks your focus like competition.  If not, he's simply not a baller.

The problem for Mitch is all above the shoulders. Nice kid, great athlete, but he can't process anything on the fly. Maybe he will figure it out, but as many have pointed it out, if you haven't figured it out by now, chances are you won't. Also, he has gotten the bulk of the first team reps for 3 years and that didn't help. So I don't know how limited reps is going to help his growth at this point. I know some say it is useful to watch and learn, but that's before you learn bad habits. Rarely does it work the other way around. 

21 minutes ago, adam said:

The problem for Mitch is all above the shoulders

Very much agreed on this.  However, I still remember moments late in games when he gets that adrenaline going and somehow looks like he can make plays.  Sometimes, when it's in your head, it's because you are thinking too much.  I personally believe that's Mitch.  It's a major flaw that can be corrected with confidence.  Sometimes the QB needs to be the guy to say F it, I'm letting it rip because I trust myself.

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

By the way I haven't  seen anyone mentioned  TylerBray landed back as the 3rd QB. .

Yeah, good catch, Bray back in the fray. 

QB (3): +Foles, Trubisky, Bray (-Daniel)
RB (3): Montgomery, Cohen, +Nall (-Davis, Whyte) 
WR (5): Robinson, Miller, Patterson, Ridley, Wims (-Gabriel) 
TE (9): Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker, +Holtz, +Horsted, +Raymond, +Harris, +Graham, +Saubert (-Sowell) 
OL (10): Leno, Whitehair, Daniels, Massie, Coward, +Bars, +Levin, +Boyd, +Mustipher, +Ifedi (-Long, Larsen, Lucas) 
DL (6): Hicks, Goldman, Nichols, Robertson-Harris, Anderson, +Urban (-Williams)
OLB (5): Mack, +Quinn, Irving, +Mingo, +Vaughters (-Floyd, Lynch) 
ILB (5): Trevathan, Smith, Iyiegbuniwe, Woods, +Bond (-Kwiatkoski, Pierre-Louis) 
CB (8): Fuller, Skrine, Toliver, Shelley, +Roberson, +Burns, +Brice, +Denmark (-Amukamara)
S (4): Jackson, Bush, Houston-Carson, +Lucas (-Clinton-Dix, McManis)
ST (3): Pineiro, O'Donnell, Scales

I think we still need to address the RB position. 

Available players: 

Spencer Ware

DeAngelo Washington 

Isiah Crowell 

Ty Mongomery 

CJ Prosise

Corey Clement 

These are RBs I think we could get for a minimum type salary.

I would take Corey Clement, he's averaged over 4 yds per carry for his career and have recieving ability and also draft a guy late in the draft. 

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think we still need to address the RB position. 

Available players: 

Spencer Ware

DeAngelo Washington 

Isiah Crowell 

Ty Mongomery 

CJ Prosise

Corey Clement 

These are RBs I think we could get for a minimum type salary.

I would take Corey Clement, he's averaged over 4 yds per carry for his career and have recieving ability and also draft a guy late in the draft. 

👎

Really none of these are appealing.  All of them have averaged over 4 yards for their career.  All have some experience catching out of the backfield (Montgomery used to be a receiver).  Clement has been put on IR each of his last two seasons (Knee in 2018 and shoulder last year).  Of these guys Ware may make the most sense.  He ended last year on IR too (shoulder) but has been with KC the last 4 years (familiarly with Nagy) and had nearly 1000 yards in 2016. 

Like SS they’re probably going to need someone in the early stages of the draft.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

👎

Really none of these are appealing.  All of them have averaged over 4 yards for their career.  All have some experience catching out of the backfield (Montgomery used to be a receiver).  Clement has been put on IR each of his last two seasons (Knee in 2018 and shoulder last year).  Of these guys Ware may make the most sense.  He ended last year on IR too (shoulder) but has been with KC the last 4 years (familiarly with Nagy) and had nearly 1000 yards in 2016. 

Like SS they’re probably going to need someone in the early stages of the draft.  

Ware makes a lot of sense, especially if this virus stuff drags on into the summer. 

They need to double down with a vet and the draft to keep their options open and have competition.  It will not be a early pick. 6th or 7th round. 

I'll say  we grab a RB in the 4th or 5th Rd.  yes that means with a pick obtained  via an earlier trade down.