Germain Ifedi, OL, signs one year deal

adam

Seahawks fans are mostly saying good riddance (he was heavily penalized last year), but he strikes me as the kind of guy who is a disappointment as a former first round pick that you were always expecting more from if you're the team who drafted him, but as a guy coming in on what figures to be a reasonably low value deal, actually overperforms, since he has a lot of starting experience on a successful team.  Seems like lots of people thought he would get a pretty good sized contract this offseason and though we don't know the value now it doesn't look like that happened:

https://www.bucsnation.com/2020/3/6/21166733/free-agent-spotlight-ot-germain-ifedi

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-report/seahawks-t-germain-ifedi-poised-to-strike-gold-in-free-agency

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seattle-seahawks/geoff-schwartz-someone-going-pay-germain-ifedi-top-dollar-free-agency

5 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Seahawks fans are mostly saying good riddance (he was heavily penalized last year), but he strikes me as the kind of guy who is a disappointment as a former first round pick that you were always expecting more from if you're the team who drafted him, but as a guy coming in on what figures to be a reasonably low value deal, actually overperforms, since he has a lot of starting experience on a successful team.  Seems like lots of people thought he would get a pretty good sized contract this offseason and though we don't know the value now it doesn't look like that happened:

https://www.bucsnation.com/2020/3/6/21166733/free-agent-spotlight-ot-germain-ifedi

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-report/seahawks-t-germain-ifedi-poised-to-strike-gold-in-free-agency

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seattle-seahawks/geoff-schwartz-someone-going-pay-germain-ifedi-top-dollar-free-agency

Seattle replaced him with Shell, who was only slightly better than Ifedi (per PFF), and Shell got $5.5M AV for 2 years. So it will be interesting to see what Ifedi got. If he get anything less than $5M, then it's a pretty good deal for a guy with a lot of experience. Maybe he would play better at RG than RT.

https://12thmanrising.com/2020/03/18/seahawks-reshape-offensive-line/

I'm happy they are at least starting to look at the OL.  He's most likely not going to come in and have a ten year career with the Bears.  But they need to start thowing shit at the board and hope they get at least mid pack players while they build in the draft.  Thought this was a good post be Seahawks fan. 

"Depends on what the contract is. Being only a one year deal, it’s low risk. I’m shocked he didn’t stay with Seattle as they’re hurting for tackles.

Regarding the penalties and sacks, remember Russel Wilson holds the ball longer than any QB in the league to let the long ball develop. Every lineman for Seattle will give up holding penalties and sacks. It’s just a function of having Wilson at QB.

Most Seahawks fans wanted Ifedi back. He was looking for $10M+/yr on a longer contract. If the Bears got him for $5M or less on a one year deal that is a steal. Ifedi has improved every year in the league. I’m sad to see him go."

And more times than not, it's the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.  Hawks fans were tired of his play.  Bears fans see someone new.  Bears fans were tired with Floyds play.  Rams pay him almost the same.  It seems, to this old fart, that every team changes one player for another player hoping to find a mix that some how works out better than the old mix.  While at the same time creating problems somewhere else.  Kinda like wack a mole.  Makes my head spin but still keeps things new.  Now if you'll excuse me I have to go do one of my favorite things in the world.  Plumbing repairs.  See you in a week.

No, just a cheap homeowner.  Always loved watching this old house.  Took me years to realize how tough home repairs can be.  And you only get once chance to get that shitter to work or you have big problems.  Plumbing always the worst.  By the time you get done you might have replaced everything all the way back to the sewer in the street.  But ol Bob and Norm finished every hour.  My kids played this old house in the early 80's.  They would get so deep into being Bob and Norm that when I got home they would not respond unless I called them by that.  Tool belts the whole nine yards.

OK, back to our normal programming.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

So...the question begs to be asked.  Do the Bears currently have any first round pick on the team guaranteed to start in their respective position?  

*edit: besides Khalil Mack.  

Kyle Fuller and Robert Quinn. 

Nice signing, 1 year deal, so not a whole lot invested. He makes a good swing OT for this season but doesn't fill the long term desire to get replacements for Massie or Leno.  Haven't looked, but if he steps into the starting role, I wonder if they can re-sign him and cut one of those two after this season?  If the cap works, we may have a player getting into his prime to cover R or L T.  If he plays well and gets too expensive, then that gets us another decent comp pick.  Draft is looking more like a SS now and maybe QB.. 

Dugger and Eason?

Last  year no one thought much about the Lucas signing and he played well in games he replaced Massie in. At least he never gets hurt and will compete at RG where he played the first 2 yrs. Or if he loses that battle becomes our swing OT. The new CBA allows for more OL to be on the roster this year.  One of the 2 players added to the game day roster has to be a OL. 

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Also he signed for the vet minimum  885, 000 against the cap.  That is a hell of a deal for a player that started 60 games at 25. He has upside much more than Ted Larson that we signed last year. 

+1

I can't believe we got him on that contract, that's impressive. I know he had a lot of penalties (mainly false starts), but some of that can be corrected. If he slides in at RG, a lot of those penalties go away. 

51 minutes ago, adam said:

I can't believe we got him on that contract, that's impressive. I know he had a lot of penalties (mainly false starts), but some of that can be corrected. If he slides in at RG, a lot of those penalties go away. 

I agree. False starts are a symptom of being in over your head. Being on the interior, and growing as a person (heck hes only 25) will help to alleviate the fear.

I cant predict what he will become, but he sure does have a lot of potential, and for that deal, it's more than worth it to see what he's got.

I do think that it lessens the plan that we will draft a future OT and start him at RG for a year.

Oh, and just mechanically, being right next to the guy who is snapping the ball should make it a lot easier to feel when the ball is snapped!

6 hours ago, adam said:

A lot of times fresh starts can be good for a player.  All those penalties are a mental issue, so now he will be forced to work on the problem.  Also new coaches can have a positive affect on a player.  Hopefully he gets it done but if not at least you have a cheap swing OT with lots of experience. This still leaves the option open if we don't draft a OG high , Bars is still in play.