Draft two players or positions to nail round 2 if we cannot trade down

ASHKUM BEAR

Little bored this Saturday playing mock drafts and reading.  My question is what two players or positions do you think will be best for the Bears going into 2020 and beyond to draft in Round 2 if we cannot trade back?

My two with some luck:

OT- Austin Jackson OT USC - there seem to be a decent amount in this draft, one could fall? I could live with a Prince Tego-Whanago also

OLB- Terrell Lewis OLB ALA- also a player I see late RD1 early Rd 2.  We did sign Quinn, but rotation and freshness keeps the pressure on. If he is available, the Bears need another body.

Let's see what two players could boosts our chances.

I took two TCU  defensive players, Jeff Gladney and Ross Blacklock.  Both can be day one starters.  Gladney is a super twitchy and instinctive corner.  Blacklock would play DE and is a very athletic high motor guy who could wreak havoc in our system.

I'll get reamed for not taking OL, but you can't pass on guys on guys that slip to you that will start and make you better.

LOL, I was bored doing some of the same last night.    

What I'd like to see at 43   First if I'm Pace I hold onto this spot waiting to see who falls to us.  We have a chance to get a talent on par with late first rd picks in other drafts.  For that reason don't trade back unless the offer is too good to pass up...and it should be given the talent pool in this draft.  

Grant Delpit S LSU      Paired up with Eddie Jackson we'd have the best safety tandem in the NFL for years.  He brings not only coverage skills but he's a football player who fits what we want as a Bear defender.

Zach Baun  OLB  Wisc  You can't have too many pass rushers and in a rotation with Mack and Quinn OTs would never get a break.  Plus his versatility as an open field defender compliments what we're losing with Quinn and Mack at OLB.  

Jalen Reagor WR TCU  speed (don't care about combine #s except for the fact it will help him fall to us), elite quickness at speed in the open field.  Some of his kick returns remind me of Hester.  He's got easy hands 

What I'd like to see at 50 is an OT.    Josh Jones, the new Prince, Austin Jackson so I don't have to feel like our entire season depends on Leno.    

Depending on what we do at 43 other options to consider, and this is harder to predict because the rankings really split up in this range.  Depending on which board you like players on my list below are anywhere from 40 to 70.

Okwara  OLB 

AJ Terrell CB

Damon Arnette CB

Kyle Dugger S  

Jeremy Chinn S

Denzel Mims  WR   deep speed....and the size and hands to convert it to TDs.

47 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

LOL, I was bored doing some of the same last night.    

What I'd like to see at 43   First if I'm Pace I hold onto this spot waiting to see who falls to us.  We have a chance to get a talent on par with late first rd picks in other drafts.  For that reason don't trade back unless the offer is too good to pass up...and it should be given the talent pool in this draft.  

Grant Delpit S LSU      Paired up with Eddie Jackson we'd have the best safety tandem in the NFL for years.  He brings not only coverage skills but he's a football player who fits what we want as a Bear defender.

Zach Baun  OLB  Wisc  You can't have too many pass rushers and in a rotation with Mack and Quinn OTs would never get a break.  Plus his versatility as an open field defender compliments what we're losing with Quinn and Mack at OLB.  

Jalen Reagor WR TCU  speed (don't care about combine #s except for the fact it will help him fall to us), elite quickness at speed in the open field.  Some of his kick returns remind me of Hester.  He's got easy hands 

What I'd like to see at 50 is an OT.    Josh Jones, the new Prince, Austin Jackson so I don't have to feel like our entire season depends on Leno.    

Depending on what we do at 43 other options to consider, and this is harder to predict because the rankings really split up in this range.  Depending on which board you like players on my list below are anywhere from 40 to 70.

Okwara  OLB 

AJ Terrell CB

Damon Arnette CB

Kyle Dugger S  

Jeremy Chinn S

Denzel Mims  WR   deep speed....and the size and hands to convert it to TDs.

Not much draft talk like usual. I enjoy it, so wanted to inject some back in.

Delpit, Dugger or Chinn are big possibilities. Seen some beat writers saying the Bears can find a good SS mid-draft like Amos, but they would have a hard time passing any of those up if available. Since they bolstered more at the CB position, I feel S is a position they may grab early. 

OT is also one I think they need now.  I don't see them cutting Leno or Massie this year, but if the dead space is less next year, it could happen then. Use that money to re-sign Ifedi if he works out and then you also have the drafted player with one year experience to take the other OT. Between Cowerd, Ifedi, Barr, and draftee, you should fill RG this year too  

If we can't trade back, I target:

#43 - CB - I prefer Trevon Diggs, but would be fine with AJ Terrell and I like Jaylon Johnson as well.  I don't trust the #2 CB options (Burns, Toliver, Roberson) and I'm optimistic that these guys can step in and play.  I don't think you can expect to even get a contributor at CB in rounds 5-7.  

#50 - OG - I'd love Ruiz but I think he'll be gone.  Cushenberry might be there and would be a great option as well, but Robert Hunt and Matt Hennessey are also acceptable options.  The fact that the Bears have a glaring need at OG, and two picks in rounds two, where you can get immediate starters at OG is too tempting for me to pass up.

I think there will be some good safety options I like in rounds two, but I also think you might be able to get a guy like Geno Stone, J.R. Reid, or K'von Wallace in round five that can be in the mix at safety.  The WRs are really tempting too, but in such a deep class, who knows who ends up dropping into the later rounds.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Little bored this Saturday playing mock drafts and reading.  My question is what two players or positions do you think will be best for the Bears going into 2020 and beyond to draft in Round 2 if we cannot trade back?

My two with some luck:

OT- Austin Jackson OT USC - there seem to be a decent amount in this draft, one could fall? I could live with a Prince Tego-Whanago also

OLB- Terrell Lewis OLB ALA- also a player I see late RD1 early Rd 2.  We did sign Quinn, but rotation and freshness keeps the pressure on. If he is available, the Bears need another body.

Let's see what two players could boosts our chances.

I agree with the first pick at OT for sure.

With the second one, if there was a CB that we liked I think that would be the best choice, but BPA of WR, TE, OG, S could work too.

46 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

I agree with the first pick at OT for sure.

With the second one, if there was a CB that we liked I think that would be the best choice, but BPA of WR, TE, OG, S could work too.

The Bears definately need someone young with talent to grab hold of at ot.

I think Ifedi ends up replacing Massie and he gets cut after this season. His cap hit will be 3.9, but savings are 5.4. That should free up some cap to re-sign Ifedi. 

Lenos cap hit will be 5.1 with a savings at 6.2. So he might also be a cap casualty after the season also. The pressure will be on to earn your stay.  Hope it lights a fire. 

CB could use talent, Fuller in 2021 becomes a 20 million dollar man. Seems like a lot, he better elevate.

The strongest draft positions this year are OT and WR . Our 2 positions we are weakest at right now S and OL. So at 43 and 50 we have our best shot at 1st round talent are OT and WR but would still have some solid choices at S if one drops. 

43 Erza Cleveland and Josh Jones both are in that area of the draft we could still have one available so what ever OT drops grab one. Since we need a contributor for 2nd round picks this year either player could start at RG and move to LT next year.

50  Jeremy Chinn and Kyle Duggar could be there at this spot and also Denzel Minns or Jalen Raegor at WR.

Either position would help this team immediately so whoever is there take here. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

The strongest draft positions this year are OT and WR . Our 2 positions we are weakest at right now S and OL. So at 43 and 50 we have our best shot at 1st round talent are OT and WR but would still have some solid choices at S if one drops. 

43 Erza Cleveland and Josh Jones both are in that area of the draft we could still have one available so what ever OT drops grab one. Since we need a contributor for 2nd round picks this year either player could start at RG and move to LT next year.

50  Jeremy Chinn and Kyle Duggar could be there at this spot and also Denzel Minns or Jalen Raegor at WR.

Either position would help this team immediately so whoever is there take here. 

I have never been able to watch college football.  So I just read other peoples opinions.  I do believe that OF line must be number one priority  Does not matter in my opinion if its guard, center, or tackle.  I just don't see how they can not choose someone with one of their two 2nd's.  And since I don't get to see college FB I have never seen Tua play.  But I read raving reviews about his play for three years.  Then he had to deal with multiple injures the last two years.  He just released a 30 sec video of him dropping back and throwing to some one.  Every yahoo on multiple sites are saying how great he is again.  How do they now have no reservations on his draft status?  Is there another video that's longer?  How his body responded the next day?  Did he even come close to the receiver he was throwing to?  You could take a bunch of undraftable QB's that would show the same.  What am I missing? 

5 hours ago, dawhizz said:

If we can't trade back, I target:

#43 - CB - I prefer Trevon Diggs, but would be fine with AJ Terrell and I like Jaylon Johnson as well.  I don't trust the #2 CB options (Burns, Toliver, Roberson) and I'm optimistic that these guys can step in and play.  I don't think you can expect to even get a contributor at CB in rounds 5-7.  

#50 - OG - I'd love Ruiz but I think he'll be gone.  Cushenberry might be there and would be a great option as well, but Robert Hunt and Matt Hennessey are also acceptable options.  The fact that the Bears have a glaring need at OG, and two picks in rounds two, where you can get immediate starters at OG is too tempting for me to pass up.

I think there will be some good safety options I like in rounds two, but I also think you might be able to get a guy like Geno Stone, J.R. Reid, or K'von Wallace in round five that can be in the mix at safety.  The WRs are really tempting too, but in such a deep class, who knows who ends up dropping into the later rounds.

I woukd love Ruiz and our oline coach is familiar with him.  3 interior OL with flexibility and smarts to play C would be a  nice asset.

Disclaimer:  I’ve had Rum and coke again do God knows how this’ll go...

It looks like I’m in agreement to a few here that the first two picks for me are Oline and SS.  Delpit, McKinney (because he’s Bama) or any of the top five SSs would be ok with me.  I’m of the mindset that if we build the D to epic proportions it won’t matter what kind of crap we have playing QB ... or calling the plays.  

I’ll say this now...if the season follows the same track as last year...Nagys out and Pagano becomes HC winning all the games he coaches in that capacity.  

23 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Disclaimer:  I’ve had Rum and coke again do God knows how this’ll go...

It looks like I’m in agreement to a few here that the first two picks for me are Oline and SS.  Delpit, McKinney (because he’s Bama) or any of the top five SSs would be ok with me.  I’m of the mindset that if we build the D to epic proportions it won’t matter what kind of crap we have playing QB ... or calling the plays.  

I’ll say this now...if the season follows the same track as last year...Nagys out and Pagano becomes HC winning all the games he coaches in that capacity.  

lol this is what I was suggesting at the end of last year, and would have saved us a year - but I understand that nagy may well prove to me that the system works, and it was all Trubisky's fault. Im not saying I expect that. I think the lack of a running game was a huge problem, but maybe Nagy will show me that Im old fashioned and dont understand the RPO enough.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I woukd love Ruiz and our oline coach is familiar with him.  3 interior OL with flexibility and smarts to play C would be a  nice asset.

Ruiz will be the first OC-OG off the board, I doubt he makes it to us but would be a good choice.  I wouldn't mind if we drafted 2 OLs with our first two picks. 

4 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

lol this is what I was suggesting at the end of last year, and would have saved us a year - but I understand that nagy may well prove to me that the system works, and it was all Trubisky's fault. Im not saying I expect that. I think the lack of a running game was a huge problem, but maybe Nagy will show me that Im old fashioned and dont understand the RPO enough.

Defenses have RPOs figured out these days.  It's still something to have in the arsenal if you have a mobile QB but with Foles?  We need to get back to basics of running the ball and that will help either QB on the field immensely.  

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Defenses have RPOs figured out these days.  It's still something to have in the arsenal if you have a mobile QB but with Foles?  We need to get back to basics of running the ball and that will help either QB on the field immensely.  

This is what I think too. But I am open to the fact that Nagy has this year to prove something, and so if he does, I will notice it. But all things being equal, I agree with you, and that's why I wanted Nagy gone at the end of last year.

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I think Foles will be fine with it because its purpose is mainly to read the LB to see if he bites to crash the run or sits to cover the flat. Foles also is good at throwing the ball on the spot on deep passes and can throw left which MT couldn't.  Now for having a running QB, Foles won't be good at that, but if the QB can hit the WRs or throw them open, the running part won't matter. Trubisky will need to evolve to win the job.  He now has pressure to push him. I'm hoping he can.

44 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think Foles will be fine with it because its purpose is mainly to read the LB to see if he bites to crash the run or sits to cover the flat. Foles also is good at throwing the ball on the spot on deep passes and can throw left which MT couldn't.  Now for having a running QB, Foles won't be good at that, but if the QB can hit the WRs or throw them open, the running part won't matter. Trubisky will need to evolve to win the job.  He now has pressure to push him. I'm hoping he can.

Right. I didn't want to get into the weeds about it, but the RPO is the evolution of the play action pass. You can "figure it out" in the sense that you understand it, but you can't play the run and the pass simultaneously as an individual LB.

Also, when I said RPO, I meant it broadly, meaning all of Nagy's offense, not just the RPO specific plays in it.

I personally think Nagy wont ever use the run enough to be successful. That's what Ive seen from him. I think the odds are pretty good he is not our head coach opening day 2021.

But I have my views on traditional football, based on what I have already seen. Nagy may be right that his offense is the future. He will curely have this year to demonstrate that. And if I see it opening up and scoring huge points, then I will have to admit that he was right, and maybe Trubisky was the biggest problem.

But I've also seen other video game offenses come and go. From the Run & Shoot, to Trestman's passing schemes, I've been told that these new pass heavy offenses would eventually make the running game less important. And in general they havent.

Then again Bill Walsh did change the game forever with some basic concepts that achieved a similar outcome, and have stayed around ever since.

So, I have my point of view, but I am willing to be wrong, and I sure will be happy if I am.

(and I have to add, if we dont get help at OLT, probably none of it matters either way)

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Screenshot_20200329-134856_Chrome.jpg

If the Bears can trade down and down again...they can have a heck of a draft.

RG, OT, speed WR, speed RB, QB, TE, CB, SS, OLB
Your score is: 38429 (GRADE: A-) 

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 20 (LAR): Ben Bredeson, OG, Michigan (A-)
Round 2 Pick 30 (G.B.): Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn (A)
Round 3 Pick 20 (LAR): Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 3 Pick 28 (BALT): Anthony Gordon, QB, Washington State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 30 (G.B.): Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue (A+)
Round 4 Pick 20 (LAR): Jabari Zuniga, DE/OLB, Florida (A+)
Round 4 Pick 30 (G.B.): TJ Carter, CB, Memphis (A+)
Round 5 Pick 17: Jordan Fuller, FS/SS, Ohio State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 17: Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland (A+)
Round 6 Pick 21: Joe Gaziano, DE/OLB, Northwestern (A+)
Round 7 Pick 12: McTelvin Agim, DT, Arkansas (A+)
Round 7 Pick 19: David Dowell, FS/SS, Michigan State (A+)

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

If the Bears can trade down and down again...they can have a heck of a draft.

RG, OT, speed WR, speed RB, QB, TE, CB, SS, OLB
Your score is: 38429 (GRADE: A-) 

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 20 (LAR): Ben Bredeson, OG, Michigan (A-)
Round 2 Pick 30 (G.B.): Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn (A)
Round 3 Pick 20 (LAR): Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 3 Pick 28 (BALT): Anthony Gordon, QB, Washington State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 30 (G.B.): Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue (A+)
Round 4 Pick 20 (LAR): Jabari Zuniga, DE/OLB, Florida (A+)
Round 4 Pick 30 (G.B.): TJ Carter, CB, Memphis (A+)
Round 5 Pick 17: Jordan Fuller, FS/SS, Ohio State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 17: Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland (A+)
Round 6 Pick 21: Joe Gaziano, DE/OLB, Northwestern (A+)
Round 7 Pick 12: McTelvin Agim, DT, Arkansas (A+)
Round 7 Pick 19: David Dowell, FS/SS, Michigan State (A+)

Has Pace ever traded down with any pick in any round?  Just asking?

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Has Pace ever traded down with any pick in any round?  Just asking?

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-trade-down-twice-draft-whitehair-17087423

The Bears chose Whitehair after trading down twice in the second round, dropping a total of 15 spots to acquire three fourth-round picks, two this year and one in the future.

First, they sent the No. 41 pick to the Bills in exchange for the No. 49 selection plus fourth-round choices this year (No. 117) and next year. The Bears then traded the No. 49 pick to the Seahawks for the No. 56 choice and a fourth-round selection (No. 124).