Matt Miller's Post Free Agency Mock Draft

adam

What do you think? I would be ok with this draft.

43. BEARS (LAV)—S Kyle Dugger, Lenoir-Rhyne
50. BEARS—TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
163. BEARS—IOL Darryl Williams, Miss. State
196. BEARS—OT Jon Runyan, Michigan
200. BEARS (PHI)—RB DeeJay Dallas, Miami
226. BEARS (LAV)—CB Harrison Hand, Temple
233. BEARS—CB Grayland Arnold, Baylor

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2884272-2020-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-post-free-agency-predictions#slide38

3 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Without altering it too much, I'd swap Kmet in the 2nd with a CB (Igbinoghene or Dantzler) and then swap one of the 7th's with a TE and would be fine with it.

Yeah, that makes sense, and I would be happy with that too. 

11 hours ago, adam said:

What do you think? I would be ok with this draft.

43. BEARS (LAV)—S Kyle Dugger, Lenoir-Rhyne
50. BEARS—TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
163. BEARS—IOL Darryl Williams, Miss. State
196. BEARS—OT Jon Runyan, Michigan
200. BEARS (PHI)—RB DeeJay Dallas, Miami
226. BEARS (LAV)—CB Harrison Hand, Temple
233. BEARS—CB Grayland Arnold, Baylor

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2884272-2020-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-post-free-agency-predictions#slide38

I don't like it at all.  I consistently see Dugger ranked around 43ish but making our first pick someone from a school nobody has ever heard of is not something I want to do.  There are 4 safeties ranked in top 50 and I don't think Dugger should be one of them.  IMO he's a guy who relied heavily on his athleticism against lesser talent to make plays.  That won't work in the NFL so he has a steep learning curve.    

43.   Looking at who remains on MIller's board he's got Chase Claypool going 44, Jalen Reagor way down at 62, CB Kristian Fulton at 46.   For me it's a toss up between those 3 and I think I prefer Reagor despite the fact Miller has him way down the road.   

50.  Kmet is ok here but there are OTs on the board and while people aren't happy with Graham being paid that much money, he's still a viable TE for us.  There's a good chance Leno once again will not be a viable LT for us.  Massie is more consistent on the other side but has his issues and is not likely a long term option for us either.  Lucas Niang and Isaiah Wilson both go a few picks after us.  We should take one of them.  They could even be RG starter for a year to get their feet wet.  

163  CB Dane Jackson Pitt

196.   I don't think Runyan's ever going to be more than a backup and not at OT.  We could find better prospects here but I've already taken an OT.       RB Rico Dowdle 

200 OT Trey Adams  why not take a shot here 

226   ILB Jordan Mack   We need to replace Kwit and I like the idea of having one physical LB on the roster if only for goal line situations.   Kwit runs over RBs, Mack runs over OGs.  It's all good.  

233   TE Jacob Breeland  

They don't rate this draft very good at TE  so a 5th round pick could end up being as good as the top 3 might be. I don't think they will value any for our 2 nd round picks.  If we went to war with our team as it is right now, I think the most  glaring weaknesses would be ( unknown starters) RG, SS , TE and CB. We need backups at WR, OLB, and RB.

Let's say we could  only. get 2 starters out of this draft that have a impact.  I keep going back to the strength of the draft. WR and OL. So the first 2 picks need to be those. 

So by Miller's mock draft it would have to be 

OL- Niang- Wilson and Prince Tega Wanogho  at 43

At 50 it would have to be Jalon Reagor. 

I think we have CB covered between tolliver-Robinson- Burns.  Lots of people have us taking a CB, I don't think its necessary that high 

CHANGE MY MIND?

Pace has found SS later in the draft and I think he may be able to find one this yr. The rest of the draft will be depth at the other positions of need.

4 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

They don't rate this draft very good at TE  so a 5th round pick could end up being as good as the top 3 might be. I don't think they will value any for our 2 nd round picks.  If we went to war with our team as it is right now, I think the most  glaring weaknesses would be ( unknown starters) RG, SS , TE and CB. We need backups at WR, OLB, and RB.

Let's say we could  only. get 2 starters out of this draft that have a impact.  I keep going back to the strength of the draft. WR and OL. So the first 2 picks need to be those. 

So by Miller's mock draft it would have to be 

OL- Niang- Wilson and Prince Tega Wanogho  at 43

At 50 it would have to be Jalon Reagor. 

I think we have CB covered between tolliver-Robinson- Burns.  Lots of people have us taking a CB, I don't think its necessary that high 

CHANGE MY MIND?

Pace has found SS later in the draft and I think he may be able to find one this yr. The rest of the draft will be depth at the other positions of need.

The thing about someone like Delpit at S is his ability to cover TEs and RBs as well as his ability to play downhill on run plays.  With that versatility we can more easily roll coverages toward Tolliver's side if we have to.  But...there's a pass rush that teams have to worry about so that means we should need a CB who can be sticky for 2-3 seconds.  As shown in the video I just posted it was clear last year we missed that downhill safety play with HHCD.  I think it's obvious we all felt it based on the clamor for a better safety play to compliment Jackson's skills.   

If Schmitz is right and teams will be forced into the short passing game,  then I'd say safety play is actually more important than the outside CB because the ball will be in that area of the field far more often (TE/RB/Slot WR/ or even inside slants from WR).  Good play recognition and tackling should lead to more 3rd and long situations. 

Adding a smart veteran like Jefferson could be a good fit here as this area of the field was his calling card when he was in AZ.  The problem is I'm not sure what he has left after the injuries and I never felt he was that good (relative to the $) when he got that huge contract.  Certainly he had coverage issues when he was younger so I don't see that being any better.  IIRC he got the big deal in a year when there were very few FA options at safety.  

Remind me why Stephen Denmark wasn't converted to safety?  Or is he the reason we might not be too concerned at CB and let him compete with Burns/Tolliver?  

On 4/1/2020 at 8:11 PM, AZ54 said:

Remind me why Stephen Denmark wasn't converted to safety?  Or is he the reason we might not be too concerned at CB and let him compete with Burns/Tolliver?  

Where does DHC figure in all this?  He was just resigned to a one year deal so all indications are that he’s more as ST player than anything.  But then you still have five Safeties on the roster with Bush, Jackson,  Lucas, Brice and DHC.  With all that I still see the team drafting higher caliber SS.  Aside from Jackson and Bush most of the rest appear to be scrubs.

Speaking of middle of the field play; another position that is key for TE or RB coverage in the mid field is the NB.  Last year Skrine did an ok job but he’s certainly no Bryce Callahan.  Does Skrine stay or is there someone on the roster to displace him?  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Speaking of middle of the field play; another position that is key for TE or RB coverage in the mid field is the NB.  Last year Skrine did an ok job but he’s certainly no Bryce Callahan.  Does Skrine stay or is there someone on the roster to displace him?  

Last year they drafted Duke Shelley, a scrappy 5'9" CB who could challenge Skrine for the slot CB. They took him in the 6th rd and if he didn't tear a ligament late in the college year, he may have gone a few rounds higher. 

He was one of the players I thought would come in and make an impact last year.  I wouldn't count him out to replace Prince either on the outside, but I prefer a little more size to jam and stick to WRs.  TJ Carter round 4 or 5 could be that guy in this coming draft. 

I was reading about and watching tape on Delpit, he's rated as a potential all pro type and he would be a good pick. I agree that the field S ( they call them field and boundary Ss now )would fit his strengths. I think Delpit is more ready for the NFL over Kyle Duggar and Jeremy Chinn, both small school teams. There is several Ss left that could help us. Jefferson, Reid, and Jones. all a little older than you would want but if we could get one on a 1 yr cheap deal , it would free us up to go best player available in our first 2 picks  

I think Delpit might not be there at 43 .

My favorite scenario is still move back and get 2 extra picks and grab a speedy WR, , OT, RB   and TE. Get a S and CB in the 5th if available at those portions of the draft. 

Denmark hasn't been very visible but maybe he's ready to make the roster as a backup now. He looks like a S but if was good enough to compete at CB that would be a big deal. 

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Last year they drafted Duke Shelley, a scrappy 5'9" CB who could challenge Skrine for the slot CB. They took him in the 6th rd and if he didn't tear a ligament late in the college year, he may have gone a few rounds higher. 

He was one of the players I thought would come in and make an impact last year.  I wouldn't count him out to replace Prince either on the outside, but I prefer a little more size to jam and stick to WRs.  TJ Carter round 4 or 5 could be that guy in this coming draft. 

One move we could do is play Skine at CB2 and put Shelley at nickel.  Skine is not a big guy but he as experience at the off CB and is physical.