2020 NFL Draft Day 3 (Saturday) Open Thread

adam

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Did we?  I didn’t know CB was that much a need.  And just saw a stat flash saying Johnson had three surgeries on his shoulder in the last four years.  To me that’s a -yikes-. 

Hey Oscar, try looking at the bright side once in a while lol.

He is a top 3 or 4 CB out of this draft.  CB is harder to fill than SS, so I can't argue going that route.  He played the season with the torn labrum, give him points for that.  

I wanted to see a trade down, but at least we didn't trade up for once. Small step made by Pace tonight.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Johnson was graded a top 3 CB by many draft sites.  He was compared to Fuller which I think has worked out well for us.  

I did not want a CB but there is many downhill Ss left in the draft that we could get at 163.

I think 2 late round WRs to look at are Quiz Watkins and Darrel Mooney.  Hopefully we can get one. 

If these two contribute out the gate, it is a success.  Especially since Pace did not move up for once.  Get SS Jr Reid and I'll be smitten.

TE is very important in this offense

Kmet will be great

Johnson would have gone in the 1st without the shoulder. If his shoulder is ok they got two starters at two positions of need.

Wanted Winfield but will take this two all day.

Graham and Kmet in the middle = huge height advantage...... Does Graham have any gas left????

41 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Found another “big-school” comp to Kmet that used to play for the Bears.  Michigan State TE Kellen Davis.  Davis was 6’7” 265# to Kmets 6’6” 262#.  

Davis played through to his senior year where he compiled 513 yards and 6 TDs that year.

Kmet played to his Jr year (really the only year he did anything) and complied 515 yards and 6 TDs.  

Kellen Davis was a 5th round draft pick.  Kmet was universally projected as a 2nd or 3rd round talent.  There was plenty of speculation that the Bears would draft him in the 2nd round. 

It’s funny listening to the SCORE.  HUB didn’t like the pick because he wanted Johnson.  After we took Johnson at 50, he was thrilled to get both.   We added 2 players who should be big contributors immediately.  

8 minutes ago, bradjock said:

Kellen Davis was a 5th round draft pick.  Kmet was universally projected as a 2nd or 3rd round talent.  There was plenty of speculation that the Bears would draft him in the 2nd round. 

It’s funny listening to the SCORE.  HUB didn’t like the pick because he wanted Johnson.  After we took Johnson at 50, he was thrilled to get both.   We added 2 players who should be big contributors immediately.  

That's what softened my stance.  Not Hub, the picks.

15 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm softening my stance.  I don't hate Kmet, just disappointed we didn't get an OT.  Jaylon Johnson is a stud.  

Love the Colts draft...

Bears had Johnson ranked #24 on their big board and the #3 CB.  He will be a baller, has high football IQ. If it wasn't for the shoulder and the school, he may have been the top guy. Pagano is a DB coach, so I feel like they got a stud the can mold opposite of Fuller.  At SS, maybe a JR Reid, Antoine Brooks, or Jordan Fuller will be there in the 5th.

Kmet and Graham give us two additional weapons that were void last season.  A speed WR would be nice but we sit pretty well with Robinson, Miller, Wimms, and Riley.  OT a need for future, but now out off again. 

Look for SS next, then a WR and RB in 6th.  7th will be a mystery.

Ss left in draft:

Jeremy Chinn  won't get

A. Davis. won't get

Terrel Burgess  won't get 

K'von Wallace 

Brandon Jones. ****

Shyheim Carter  **

J.R Reed ***

Julian Blackmon 

Geno Stone ***

Jordon Fuller 

Kenny Robinson XFL **

Brain Cole

Antonio Brooks ***

Alohi Gilman **

I have read and watched tape on players with an asterisk.   *** are my favorite. 

We can still get a Adrian Amos out of this draft.

Worst position group on team.  Got one of the top rated players on almost all draft sights.  Gives us hope, which is all the draft does.  Half of the picks won't fulfill expectations no matter what round.   Maybe we can now only have six.  Yea, I would of rather had OL with one of the two picks but Im not pickings.  And not hating the picks like I did M.T. just saying.  

I really like Johnson. I’m pretty meh on Kmet. 

I guess I just need to accept that Pace is prone to over-addressing needs. Need a QB? Sign Glennon AND draft Trubisky. Weak at WR? Sign Robinson and Gabriel AND draft Miller. Kicker not cutting it? Bring in ten kickers to compete. This year it was historically bad TE production? Sign Graham and Harris AND draft Kmet. I guess it’s just what he does. The good news is, if the O-line fails spectacularly this year, your going to be looking at a lot of new guys next year. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Everyone is going to complain but if he helps make the offense better, I'll buy in.  I think their focused on Chinn who will be there later.  With McKinney gone I'll be satisfied with Chinn. 

Plus Nagy's offense runs through the TE, so it is paramount to have one. I fully believe one of the biggest issues that plagued the Bears offense in 2020 was the fact that it had the worst TE production in the NFL (and to be frank - there wasn't a team even close to as bad as the Bears).  I had read something that indicated Burton was one of the worst starting TE's (based upon advanced analytics) in like NFL history.  Having Graham and a young guy who appears to have potential to be a complete TE would be really nice.  Fact he can block and get out on routes and make plays is huge because Bears have struggled a ton with their predictability of certain personnel (in terms of telegraphing pass vs. run) and this will certainly help with that.  

No issue with the CB we took either. Position of need and nice value.  I wonder if they bring back Prince at some point on a 1 yr deal too (to help with depth).  Would love to find a wideout that fell later in this draft but presume we'll see oline next. I do think if Eason is there when the Bears pick they will grab him.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Found another “big-school” comp to Kmet that used to play for the Bears.  Michigan State TE Kellen Davis.  Davis was 6’7” 265# to Kmets 6’6” 262#.  

Davis played through to his senior year where he compiled 513 yards and 6 TDs that year.

Kmet played to his Jr year (really the only year he did anything) and complied 515 yards and 6 TDs.  

Kellen Davis had stone hands. He actually would have been a pretty solid TE if he could catch. Not near as athletic as Kmet (but he was a solid blocker and a physical specimen).  Kmet has pretty good speed for his size. Much more fluid than Davis was and with better hands.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Did we?  I didn’t know CB was that much a need.  And just saw a stat flash saying Johnson had three surgeries on his shoulder in the last four years.  To me that’s a -yikes-. 

My opinion - CB was the biggest need on the team. The teams #2 CB is a free agent out of the CFL (as it currently stands). If anything happened to Fuller, oh man, this team probably has the worst DB set in the league.  Johnson is a good player and despite the surgery he played last season. I do  agree, definitely a health concern though. 

11 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

My opinion - CB was the biggest need on the team. The teams #2 CB is a free agent out of the CFL (as it currently stands). If anything happened to Fuller, oh man, this team probably has the worst DB set in the league.  Johnson is a good player and despite the surgery he played last season. I do  agree, definitely a health concern though. 

Agreed....the Bears are very thin at DB. If they lose either or both of Jackson and Fuller for an extended period, the Bears will probably be picking top 10 next year. 

13 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Don't overlook Michigan OL players. Our line coach was there last year.  Bendeson- Ruyan or Onwenu. All OG prospects. 

I think there’s going to be a G we all thought would’ve gone when we pick in the fifth. Maybe Logan Stenburg?

41 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I really like Johnson. I’m pretty meh on Kmet. 

I guess I just need to accept that Pace is prone to over-addressing needs. Need a QB? Sign Glennon AND draft Trubisky. Weak at WR? Sign Robinson and Gabriel AND draft Miller. Kicker not cutting it? Bring in ten kickers to compete. This year it was historically bad TE production? Sign Graham and Harris AND draft Kmet. I guess it’s just what he does. The good news is, if the O-line fails spectacularly this year, your going to be looking at a lot of new guys next year. 

This is kinda where I’m at. Seems like the team is overstocked in positions that weren’t as high a need.  Maybe they know something about potential post-draft cuts that we don’t.  But..you’re absolutely right with your last sentence.  

Names I like later in the draft in our draft postions 

S= JONES-REID-BROOKS- FULLER 

OTs= Adams- Taylor-Heck

OG= Lewis--Steinberg- Brederson- Adeniji- Lemieux -Pinter 

C= Hanson- Harris 

QBs= Montez-DiNucci-Davidson- Rutter 

RBs McFarland-Vaughn-Calais-Corbin-Rohinson-Evans

WRs=Coulter-Hightower-Cephus-Swain-Mooney-Watkins-Reed-Guirdy- Cleveland