Jaylon Johnson

AZ54

We've drafted a CB who is going to immediately fit right into this backfield.  He might not be the most athletic (maybe more quick than fast) but listen to Bryant McFadden talk about what he brings to the table.  This kid will be playing early this season.  This is the kind of CB you want playing behind a good pass rush.   

This was another really nice pick. BUmmer that he had the surgery, but without those injuries, he is a 1st round pick (no doubt). And despite the injuries he played a lot in college.  This was another really nice pick. I have knocked Pace for a lot of things, but I really like this 2nd round. I would have liked more picks and a trade down, but I think we got 2 long term starters and both picks have upside to be above average at their respective positions.  

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Is 2 very good players better than 4 decent prospects? Hard to say without both situations playing out. We can still find a OG and SS in later rounds.  We have 5 picks that can still find a speedy WR to. 

Jefferson is still out there as a cheap vet option at SS and if Ifedi/Spriggs/Bars is the worst we will get at RG, we will be ok.

Another option at WR is Marqise Lee who was released by JAX if we don't find one in the draft.

3 hours ago, adam said:

Jefferson is still out there as a cheap vet option at SS and if Ifedi/Spriggs/Bars is the worst we will get at RG, we will be ok.

Another option at WR is Marqise Lee who was released by JAX if we don't find one in the draft.

Lee signed with the Patriots before the draft. 

Peace

2 hours ago, adam said:

Johnson also is only 21. It's funny to see the Raiders use pick 19 on Arnette and then for us to get Johnson at 50. 

I really didn't understand what the Raiders were doing there.  I"d be very leary of using a first round pick on a guy that a year or so earlier was considering walking away from football.  Then when you consider there were plenty of other very good CB options on the board.   

Draft sites I like the best are former NFL scouts, GBNDREPORT, Draft Countdown and Our Lads.  There are 2 potential all pros as the first 2 and usually Johnson is ranked next. He gets some push because of injury concerns.  Watched tape and if healthy he's a day one starter.  Good pick and I hated the idea of replacing assets we already acquired at CB but a good player is a big help for a top defense. 

54 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I hated the idea of replacing assets we already acquired at CB but a good player is a big help for a top defense.

This is my concern as well.  Like with drafting Kmet and having an abundance of TEs with this pick we now have a plethora of CBs.  I had thought Burns and that dude from the XFL (?)and the other guy from KC  were going to fight it out for the spot opposite Fuller and If not him then what about Tolliver?  Aside from his maturity issues he was pretty well regarded out of college after playing for LSU.  And what the hell happened to Shelley and Denmark?  I read a little on Shelly and it looks as though they are eveballing him as a NB so maybe that explains that.   

30 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This is my concern as well.  Like with drafting Kmet and having an abundance of TEs with this pick we now have a plethora of CBs.  I had thought Burns and that dude from the XFL (?)and the other guy from KC  were going to fight it out for the spot opposite Fuller and If not him then what about Tolliver?  Aside from his maturity issues he was pretty well regarded out of college after playing for LSU.  And what the hell happened to Shelley and Denmark?  I read a little on Shelly and it looks as though they are eveballing him as a NB so maybe that explains that.   

Solid backups, nickel, and ST will house the best of these guys.  We’re going to have to prune TE sooner than DB.  

33 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Shelly is best suited to play NB.  Hate to say it, but Fullers cap hit next season (2021) will cost the Bears 20 million.  They can save 11 by cutting him, seems logical if he doesn't work out an extension. Sometimes making moves are for reasons down the road. 

In today's college game this is an unreal stat:

"In his final seven games with Utah, Johnson allowed only 112 yards combined."

full quote below:

Pro Football Focus: B+
Analysis: PFF was especially high on second-round cornerback Jaylon Johnson, with Mike Remmer writing: "Johnson is one of the most instinctual corners in the entire draft, and he goes to a landing spot in Chicago where that ability can thrive. We saw Johnson's grades improve every single year of his college career after he saw 506 snaps as a true freshman back in 2017. In his final seven games with Utah, Johnson allowed only 112 yards combined."

36 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

https://twitter.com/maxmarkhamnfl/status/1256577826355990531?s=21

In 2019 Bears CB Jaylon Johnson covered: Brandon Aiyuk (1st RD) Michael Pittman (2nd RD) Laviska Shenault (2nd RD) Isaiah Hodgins (6th RD) Dezmon Patmon (6th RD) Aaron Fuller (UDFA) He allowed 4 receptions over 10 yards. That’s 1 catch for every 13 attempts.

"But they took a guy with like shoulder surgeries" 

I love the pick and think they got a special player.  Week 1, if he starts,  will have Ridley or Jones as a matchup.  It doesn't get much tougher than those two, so a good test. 

52 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

"But they took a guy with like shoulder surgeries" 

I love the pick and think they got a special player.  Week 1, if he starts,  will have Ridley or Jones as a matchup.  It doesn't get much tougher than those two, so a good test. 

He did that while playing with the shoulder injury.  I can't imagine he'll be worse when he's able to lift both arms over his head.  

If there weren't injury concerns, he is probably a top 15 pick. I feel like he is going to be the steal of the draft at 50, and if people don't think he is an immediate upgrade over Prince, watch some tape of him, then immediately go to some of Prince's games last year.

21 hours ago, adam said:

If there weren't injury concerns, he is probably a top 15 pick. I feel like he is going to be the steal of the draft at 50, and if people don't think he is an immediate upgrade over Prince, watch some tape of him, then immediately go to some of Prince's games last year.

Tolliver was an improvement over Prince last year.  It was apparent in 2018 that Prince was slowing down.  Didn’t he predict he’d have 10 INTs that year? If Johnson is able to stay healthy he could be a decent corner.  

53 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Tolliver was an improvement over Prince last year.  It was apparent in 2018 that Prince was slowing down.  Didn’t he predict he’d have 10 INTs that year? If Johnson is able to stay healthy he could be a decent corner.  

Yeah, he is a great guy, but once you lose a step, it's easy to see. He was mainly playing way off the LOS and then was always trailing the receiver. If he stays healthy, he can be a perennial Pro-Bowler. 

He reminds me a little bit of Fuller.  He's more quick than fast and he's studious so his strength is understanding his opponents and what they like to do.   Both need help over the top but we have that now in duplicate with Gipson and Jackson.   As you say with our pass rush  and coverage help from ILBs he should be in the ideal spot where his smarts and quickness can help him make plays.    

Stealing someone's post from Reddit...since some have kids who read I *** a couple words.  Definitely feels like someone who had a couple beers before writing it.  

jaylon_johnson_is_a_rare_breed

Subreddit Icon
Posted by 22 hours ago

Jaylon Johnson is a rare breed

renderTimingPixel.png

Ive watched every single snap of Utah football for a long time now. Im going to do my best to relate to you now that Jaylon Johnson was special long before he ever got here, while he was here, and will be going forward

Jaylon was a highly recruited kid. Not the highest of highs. Far from a 5star lock type, but he could have pretty much gone anywhere. Obviously thats a unique get for a school like Utah. But beyond the athletic accolades he came with, what immediately popped out was the head on this kids shoulders. The amount of clarity vision and drive he had was almost unbelievable for a teenage kid. He obviously aimed for his best possible version of himself on the field, but he was no bullshit on his academic prowess either. No "I want to get an education" lip service. He really focused on that and knocked out one of his major goals coming into college. Graduate in under 3 years. Star level kid. Biggest recruit in school history. Every reason to live that college party life. But by all accounts....Jaylon spent most of his time by himself. In his room or at the facility. Studying or watching film. Working out. That didnt develop as he got closer to his senior year. He had that from day f****** one. Its rare man.

His rarity doesnt stop there. Like I said, this kid was the biggest recruit in Utah history. The hype on him coming in was sky level from the day he signed. And he followed it up. Every bit of it. He was a day 1 standout. And then he just kept getting better. Despite multiple offseasons totally lost to shoulder surgery. He grew because of his intellect, his overall drive, and obviously his god given talent and athleticism

This kid came in talking all of the talk, with all of the hype. Im going to do this this this and this. and backed up every ounce of it. He had these goals written down his freshman year. Best in the country level stuff. He nailed every one of them, except for the one "be a 1st round draft pick". That bothers the absolute s*** out of me. I know the same goes for him. That fire will ultimately help him. Because he deserved it and he f****** knows it.

I understand why the surgeries caused him to fall to the 50th pick. But he was absolutely special in college despite his shoulders failing him 2 of his 3 seasons. Playing the majority of both with injuries that required offseason surgery. Im hoping that having those health complications early while his body is young and can still grow/develop/heal will lead to a better long term prognosis. But I do know that regardless of all of that this kid will not let his shoulder cause him to fail. He has and will play through a great deal of pain at a very high level. The stats he put up playing man/press on WR1 with a torn labrum are f******* nuts man. Even as a freshman adjusting to the speed of the game and the quality of his opponents with all the expectations and lights on him. His shoulder was torn up and he produced an all american season. Thats a level of competitor everyone says they are, but really...few are

There arent many more things im sure about than Jaylon Johnson is a rare breed, and you guys are going to love him

That seems like a reach but you figure opposing teams are going to test him and with a badass pass rush, he will get many chances to make big plays.  Also Gibson has good ball skills, he may be in for TOs. Also.  They will scheme away from Fuller and EJAC. Both ILBs can cover , so it's going to be interesting how they attack us. We're going to be able to rush with 4 and underneath passing lanes are going to be clogged up .