Darnell Mooney

AZ54

I'm surprised at how well he tracks the ball and then goes up after it.  He's small like Gabriel but if he gets into his stride he's fast.  As a late Rd pick he's a decent cheaper version of Hamler and in that context I like the value.   The big difference is learning how to run routes in this offense.

The first video is hilarious. I was like wow, 7 minutes of video, then realize over 5 minutes of it was transitions. The 2nd one was much better.

He seems like a decent prospect and definitely compliments Wims and Ridley pretty well. 

Guy has some wheels and a great first move.  Seems little, but I'm an old school guy (or I'm just old) but I liked seeing him hand the ball to the ref, over and over.  Also looked like on some of those plays he had teammates busting their ass to block downfield for him, looked like they had been coached up pretty good. 

47 minutes ago, adam said:

A small note, Mooney had more receptions and TDs in college than Wims and Ridley combined. So he is a much more accomplished WR than they were at the time of the draft. So his development should be further along. 

Besides Taylor Gabriel as a comparison, I recall Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt were both smaller.  Maybe 6' compared to 5'10" but they were both around 180. 

11 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

I saw a comparison to Johnny Knox. Both players were drafted in the same round and around the same size and speed. 

Peace

Knox was a 4.2 guy. He was a gear faster than Mooney. 

EDIT: Surprised. I thought Knox ran below 4.3 but I was wrong. 

I think his contribution will be minimal as far as rec and yards but his speed adds a strategy dimension that affects how our other weapons perform. The defense has to account from him on the field.  Forces 1 on 1 play and the FS to stay home longer.  If you throw to him 4 times a game, we win other matchups and he may snag a few.

I may have to stand corrected.  Mooney says he's a good route runner and Matt Nagy said he's a good route runner.  I'm ok with being wrong and it gives me a bit more optimism he'll be able to contribute part time this year.  

I saw a few reviews of his tape and some of the guys were talking about his ability to track the ball is better than most coming out of college. He makes good adjustments to the ball and can track deep balls very well. Maybe a new punt returner?