Trubisky's 5th Year Option

adam

It looks like the Bears are not expected to pick up the 5th year option. This will be the ultimate litmus test on how the team feels about Mitch. If they had any hope he would turn it around, this would be a no brainer. If they truly feel he has hit his ceiling and Foles is the clear QB1, then they won't pick it up.

It seems like it comes down to comp picks. It seems like the Bears don't want to risk losing a potential comp pick if they pick up his option, then cut him before his 5th season (like Floyd). Outside of cap numbers, that is the main risk. 

I think they can do better on cap hit if they let him win the job and then just negotiate a new deal.  He'd have to really light it up to make that a losing proposition and in that case they always have the franchise tag at their disposal.   If he's just a bit better than Foles he's not going to get a huge deal and they could do something like a 3 yr extension.   

Of course if he can't beat out Foles then he's gone. 

If he absolutely crushes it you can always franchise him. At this point it seems like a no brainer to let him play this out and best case you negotiate with him during the season and/or franchise him (I say best case because if we are doing those things it means he has had a major bounce back and that would be fantastic).  I'd still probably argue even with a bounce back I franchise him for one year, see how the following year goes and than pay him (if he has back to back productive seasons).  It could cost the team money but at this point I think it is better than the risk of locking yourself in long-term to mediocrity.  

What is the history of not picking up the 5th year and then the player lights up the league. How do QB’s generally take a team not picking up the 5th year option. This is the most important position on the team and at a position the Bears have never go right. 

I would have more faith in picking up Mitch’s 5th year than Floyd’s last year  

This will be his 3rd year in a system that is overall reliant on tight ends which was a weakness last year. How culpable was Mitch for the offense last year considering the oline was across the board poor, the tight ends were worse and we got rid of our best running back. Also  Nagy or Mitch for some reason hardly ran the ball or move the pocket. 

38 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

36 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

How culpable was Mitch for the offense last year considering the oline was across the board poor, the tight ends were worse and we got rid of our best running back. 

I think the level of culpability will be displayed based on the 5th year option execution. If they pick it up, he probably was not the main problem. If they don't pick it up, you have to believe that a lot was on him. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense any other way.

My personal belief is that Nagy has become frustrated with Trubisky's lack of understanding and/or ability to read the defense. You can only teach so much and at some point the pupil has to do it himself. Nagy was telling Mitch what to do thru the helmet audio for pretty much the entire year after Mitch walked to the line, then backed out. That should not be happening with a 3rd year QB.

6 hours ago, adam said:

It looks like the Bears are not expected to pick up the 5th year option. This will be the ultimate litmus test on how the team feels about Mitch. If they had any hope he would turn it around, this would be a no brainer. If they truly feel he has hit his ceiling and Foles is the clear QB1, then they won't pick it up.

It seems like it comes down to comp picks. It seems like the Bears don't want to risk losing a potential comp pick if they pick up his option, then cut him before his 5th season (like Floyd). Outside of cap numbers, that is the main risk. 

I don't know why you would not do the 5th year option if the only reason is losing a comp.  Then choose the franchise tag, that will cost much more, if he does turn things around.  Unless you already know your not keeping him past this year.  Then why did you not do more to replace him not just bring in one option to light a fire under his ass.  I agree it seems like they have made their mind up but that makes it even more confusing why they did not do a lot more to replace him.  In both the draft and free agency.  Hell bring in Winston.  We know he can throw the ball.  It would be at least different to bitch about a different problem.  I know I ramble but more reasons why I'm sitting at home vs making million dollar choices.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I don't know why you would not do the 5th year option if the only reason is losing a comp.  Then choose the franchise tag, that will cost much more, if he does turn things around.  Unless you already know your not keeping him past this year.  Then why did you not do more to replace him not just bring in one option to light a fire under his ass.  I agree it seems like they have made their mind up but that makes it even more confusing why they did not do a lot more to replace him.  In both the draft and free agency.  Hell bring in Winston.  We know he can throw the ball.  It would be at least different to bitch about a different problem.  I know I ramble but more reasons why I'm sitting at home vs making million dollar choices.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I do not want Winston. Besides the interceptions, I don't want to have anything to do with his personal history. 

Peace

13 hours ago, Bill said:

It is confusing to me as well. The only thing I can think of is if he does win the job and plays well, they franchise him, which will cost more than the 5th year option, but not enough difference to lose the comp pick over. If he plays well, it's great news and they won't care as much about the money because they have an out with the Foles contract.

The only other wild card is the "guaranteed for injury" statement. So if he gets hurt, they are on the hook either way. This may be a factor as well since he just had surgery and the team doctor's have not had a chance to evaluate him yet. I bet they use that as the media stance, which will be weak. Just come out and say he has not lived up to expectations. 

Here is something I just realized, there are only 2 QBs drafted in the top 12 from 2011-2016 still on their original teams (Wentz and Goff from 2016). So the 10 QBs drafted in the top 12 picks before those two QBs are all on different teams than the ones that drafted them. I did not expect to see that.

So Trubisky moving on is not that uncommon for a high QB selection. With Mahomes and Watson, Trubisky would make it 11 out of 15 from 2011-2017 no longer with their original team.

2011 - Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder
2012 - Luck*, Griffin, Tannehill
2014 - Bortles
2015 - Winston, Mariota

*-retired

2010 was Sam Bradford, but I felt that was too far into the past to be relevant now.

2 hours ago, 50england50 said:

Can’t work out why the Bears haven’t made a decision but shall we have a poll on whether the 5th year option is picked up or 

I wouldn't, make him earn it. It might cost the Bears more if he lights it up, but it is the safer bet.  If he fails, they can do a lot with that 24.8 million.  The Bears can target another QB in the draft, which will probably cost them a future 1st plus some to move up.

9 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I wouldn't, make him earn it. It might cost the Bears more if he lights it up, but it is the safer bet.  If he fails, they can do a lot with that 24.8 million.  The Bears can target another QB in the draft, which will probably cost them a future 1st plus some to move up.

Agreed.  If he lights it up, we win regardless of a few million.  When you look at the value, it brings back tens of millions in value.

17 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Agreed.  If he lights it up, we win regardless of a few million.  When you look at the value, it brings back tens of millions in value.

I'm glad it is an option, or was.  Not sure what the CBA makes it.  I hope he does it, overcomes the odds.  It will be worth it just for the story and I am sure he may appreciate the push that made him.

A lot of teams just started to announce their 5th year option decisions, and I assume that was due to the draft. However, for Trubisky's, the team didn't draft a QB, so why wait until the last minute to do something? All I could think about was they were looking at some trade possibilities? That is the only logical thing I could think of, otherwise, waiting for no reason doesn't seem to benefit anyone. 

Could the Bears be in negotiations with Mitch about a contract extension trying to sign him on the cheap and if so what would the contract be. Would the fans be happy if he signed a 4 year deal for say $75 million with $55 million guaranteed or do you think the player or his agent would have no interest in signing a contract at this size  

I work out why they haven’t exercised the 5th year option. If you think about Leonard Floyd over his 3 years who of the 2 would you have exercised the 5th year on. I think Mitch produced more over his 3 years. 

They will wait until this season is over before they think about it.  He has not shown enough consistency otherwise they would have just picked up the 5th yr option. Basically they are done with him. If he proves them wrong, the Bears have 2 franchise tags (years 21 & 22) to insure they can keep him if a new deal cannot be worked. 

22 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

They will wait until this season is over before they think about it.  He has not shown enough consistency otherwise they would have just picked up the 5th yr option. Basically they are done with him. If he proves them wrong, the Bears have 2 franchise tags (years 21 & 22) to insure they can keep him if a new deal cannot be worked. 

I think this is the plan and Nick Foles is the backup interim plan if they need to search for a new starter next year.  Foles can get out of his contract in the event we decide to stick with Trubisky.