https://dabearsblog.com/2020/atm-death-by-inches

Bill

interesting. in the article Nagy says:

"“That can be in a meeting, if we say guys can’t have phones in a meeting, it means they don’t have phones in a meeting,” Nagy said. “It doesn’t mean in Week 8 they start bringing them in. It means they never have them in the meeting. If they show up 9:00 or 9:01, they’re walking in as I’m walking in—no, get there early. It’s just a lot of different things."

So I think I, and many others, were right that Nagy was way too permissive last year, and maybe now with his back against the wall, he will build a tougher team.

I would like nothing more than to be discussing how Nagy learned and became and amazing coach for us, this time next year.

A young team enjoying lots of success and believing it's easy to repeat that without realizing talent only gets you on the field.  

Reading the quote doesn't give me a lot of confidence that Nagy really understands the change that has to be made in himself.   It's one thing to say we've lost our focus on the details and we need to get it back but it's another holding people accountable for it.   I certainly hope he makes that change because players like Tarik Cohen, who believes his 4.0ypc was enough last year when he could have easily had more if he made less "business decisions", need this discipline. 

This focus on details is not just about execution either.  More important is developing the players' desire to work to be as good as they can possibly be on every down.  Get that and they'll worry about the details for you.  We have a good start with players like Trevathan, BoJack, and Mack on D, and ARob and Montgomery on offense.  

I'll be looking for signs of the new accountability when we get to training camp.   Somebody always tests the new rules.   

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Players coach vs. winning coach. 

My hope with Nagy quoting the Fangio mantra is that it becomes his mantra.  Also that Nagy said to himself, "damn, that old Italian guy was right"!  We need to look at Pagano as well.  He has always been a players coach and, renowned, nice guy.  I truly don't mind a coach being likeable, but intensity and sense of urgency must rule.  I think some examples have been made.  Some not.  IE: no warning shot to our OL by drafting replacement quality players.  Time is running out for this team, which is funny because last year we thought the window would be open for awhile.

There is nothing wrong with having club dub, you only do it when you win and it brings people together.  Also I don't think having your players like you or dislike like you affects your authority in a sports room. Its being consistent with holding people accountable and treating everyone the same. With 53 bodies in the room , they respond to different thi gs. Good players will motivate themselves and some are just lazy and need to be pushed.  I think Cohen not having a good year was not all on him.  Play calling and a bad offense contributed to a  poor yr.  You have to him going forward not sideways. 

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

There is nothing wrong with having club dub, you only do it when you win and it brings people together.  Also I don't think having your players like you or dislike like you affects your authority in a sports room. Its being consistent with holding people accountable and treating everyone the same. With 53 bodies in the room , they respond to different thi gs. Good players will motivate themselves and some are just lazy and need to be pushed.  I think Cohen not having a good year was not all on him.  Play calling and a bad offense contributed to a  poor yr.  You have to him going forward not sideways. 

You can't come at your job as a leader with the intent to have people like you.  It's nice when or if they do but respect is much more important.  You'll naturally see the respect earned if you help others become successful.  You only need to look back at the history of NFL head coaches to see how that has played out.  Lombardi, Noll, and I'd even bet Bill Belichick would get similar treatment once he retires.  

I agree with this 100%:  Its being consistent with holding people accountable.  Of course there is the Jimmy Johnson way too where he had curfew issues before a Superbowl.  He cut one of the bottom of the roster players to send a message to the team.   As he said years later, there was no way he would have cut Michael Irvin.