Choosing Our Starter...

Mongo3451

Everyone has heard opinions on our upcoming quarterback battle.  While all opinions are valid, some resonate better than others.  I'll make it brief and state that I believe Mitch is the best case scenario. 

Foles had never started a season for a team and had a winning record.  Everywhere he goes, he gets replaced.  Why is that?  Bad guy?  Nope.  Dumb?  Nope.  Not athletic?  Nope.  Injury prone?  Winner winner chicken dinner!  Foles simply has failed to stay healthy.  He has never played an entire season, so what makes this year seem plausible?  In comes Mitch.  He's missed time as well,  but seems to be built a little sturdier.  Also, this is year 4 for Mitch, he at least needs to start the season before finding his career is over in Chicago.  I simply don't feel he would come in with any confidence by losing a training camp battle.  He could however, win the starting job and lose it.  Then, if he had to come in, he would come in knowing he originally earned it, instead of being a last ditch bust savior. 

It's crazy, if I want to win one game, Foles is my guy.  I simply would rather have him at the end of season vs the beginning.  Hopefully, he carries a clipboard for 19 games.

I definitely think Mitch is best case scenario. I still have hope for Mitch to be honest. 

2018 Mobile Mitch has to make a return tho. I feel like no one is talking about that either. Mitch must become a threat with his legs again. That threat was just not there last year. If it is, I think he's good enough to win with. 

The most idea situation is MT becomes the person his draft status projected.  If he fails we have someone capable of good play.  I think if Foles wins the job , keep MT interested by giving him a Tayson Hill role as a specialty player a few plays a game.  

I want Mitch to succeed only because it gives the team a longer lifespan with that position locked down. Foles is only a patch for a few years, but we will still need a young QB to groom at some point. 

My problem with Mitch is equivalent to someone that stutters when they talk but can sing like a beast. I have a friend like that, it's a left-brain, right-brain thing. I think QB's are the same way. In practice, slower speeds, less stress, things are easy to execute. Then in-game time, when you have to make a high stress split-second decision, it's a different part of your brain. I just don't think Mitch has that in him. Outside 3-4 games, he has literally been terrible. When he succeeds, they are single read plays to the first read. He will throw it there regardless of the defense. 

Foles, even though he hasn't worked out in some places, I believe it was more tied to what they were trying to have him do. In Jacksonville, it's a different offense and a bad team. It's hard to overcome things outside of your control. In LA, the same thing, look at the team at the time. Outside of Gurley, the top WRs were Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin. 

The crazy part was he was really good in Philly and excelled in the postseason. He can do things that Mitch can't but Mitch is much more mobile and can extend plays with his legs.

It will come to which player will make the other players around him better. I think Foles has the edge in that department. If he is a more accurate passer, can dissect the defense at the LOS and change protection calls, audibles, etc, better than Mitch, then there is your winner.

Mitch really has to prove he can read defenses without the coach telling him what to do at the LOS. Watch some games from 2019. For a good part of the season, Mitch would walk to the line, then back out and get a new call in from the sidelines. A QB needs to be able to do that on their own. That's the bottom line.

I pretty well agree with your points.  You literally could do a video with his highlights and if someone didn't know him, they would think he is a star player. I think it's all mental and stress does change his decisions.  I think he could be a decent QB if he was with a  SF or Baltimore offense . Strong running team , use his legs more often and not complicated passing scheme.  It just won't be this year with our offense.  I would love to be wrong.