Random info

Stinger226

I read an article on Sports Mockery with the suggestion that next year we could let go of Fuller. The opinion was based on his cap hit and the fact that if they do not have fans in the stands this year the cap number will go down by 12 mil instead of going up. We would save 11 mil against the cap if we would let him go next year. 

So if we have to cut some of our star players, who would go first?  We have 28 players that would go into free agency and 11 players making over 9 mil a year.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears/     Here is our 2021 cap hits.

I think if we are successful this year, we would try to keep as many stars that is possible. If not then some big names would go.

13 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I read an article on Sports Mockery with the suggestion that next year we could let go of Fuller. The opinion was based on his cap hit and the fact that if they do not have fans in the stands this year the cap number will go down by 12 mil instead of going up. We would save 11 mil against the cap if we would let him go next year. 

So if we have to cut some of our star players, who would go first?  We have 28 players that would go into free agency and 11 players making over 9 mil a year.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears/     Here is our 2021 cap hits.

I think if we are successful this year, we would try to keep as many stars that is possible. If not then some big names would go.

I thought this after drafting Johnson, first thing I researched is Fullers cap hit.  I wouldn't have put CB on our highest needs before investigating.  He needs to be in the NFLs top 5 to justify keeping him.  

This is another reason why I look at draft needs going 2 years down the road for needs. 

As a retired Bears fan, I pretty well read anything I can about the team. Listen to podcasts, some good, many bad, and its amazing how stupid some of the subjects they write about. If I was a Bears writer, I would limit to viable information to write about. Their is articles suggesting possible trades for Jamal Adams (because his team might trade him) sign Devonte Freeman (he isnt signed yet although he turned down a 3.5 mil a year contract because he wants more money) trade to MT to NE for a second round pick (not going to happen). I get its hard to find subject matter to write about but some is just fantasy.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

As a retired Bears fan, I pretty well read anything I can about the team. Listen to podcasts, some good, many bad, and its amazing how stupid some of the subjects they write about. If I was a Bears writer, I would limit to viable information to write about. Their is articles suggesting possible trades for Jamal Adams (because his team might trade him) sign Devonte Freeman (he isnt signed yet although he turned down a 3.5 mil a year contract because he wants more money) trade to MT to NE for a second round pick (not going to happen). I get its hard to find subject matter to write about but some is just fantasy.

so much crazy, and a shocking lack of understanding of basic issues like the salary cap too. For example all the articles about the possibility of trading Mack. I mean, not only is it a really dumb idea, but they dont even consider what the cap hit would be. I guess anyone with an audience can say anything and it sounds authoritative.

On 6/6/2020 at 11:16 AM, Stinger226 said:

Adams is silly as are a lot of other scenarios. It doesn't seem like many writers apply any sort of common sense to their articles. Most are just for shock value and clicks.

With any year anything can happen but there is no way they will pay Fuller $20M. Leno will be making $11.3M, so unless he improves, he could also be gone. Massie is very similar, $9.3M?

So Fuller is the first to go, even with the dead money. I assume they will try to trade him first in order to get some compensation. Otherwise, they get nothing for him. Second will be one of the two OT's. I can't see both returning in 2021. 

Graham will be interesting, I guess we will have to see how he does on the field. If he gets 50-600 and 7 TDs, you probably keep him at 10M. If he is doesnt live up to expectations, you take the dead money and run like you are looting at Louis Vuitton.

4 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I seen an article where Germain Ifedi has been working out with Jake Matthews and hall of famer Bruce Matthews In Georgia. As soon as the season ended he hooked up with the Matthews, so it seems to be very dedicated to be getting better. 

The knock on Ifedi has always been his lack of experience. He has all the physical traits to dominate. That is what frustrated Seattle so much. So as long as he puts in the work, he can still improve his game.

I seen an article that stated , if you could choose a player from another NFL North team that you could add to the roster , who would it be? I would say other than Rodgers.

Even thou he's getting older, I would sat "David Bhacatara OT( I know I didnt spell that right)

Seen an article in BearsWire that predicted 3 bold statistics :  Kmet will be up for rookie of the year with 70 recs-850 yds

Montgomery will total 1500 yds

Miller along with Robinson will each reach 1000 yds.

I think Montgomery is close but Kmet will be closer to 40-450, Miller will be closer to 62- 740.  

On 6/12/2020 at 5:49 PM, Stinger226 said:

MT did a group meeting today and he sounded like he's got the right attitude going into the season.  He's going to quit trying to be perfect and just go for it to be the starter  

That's a great attitude, but he needs to know how to read a defense and look for something beyond his first read. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Seen an article in BearsWire that predicted 3 bold statistics :  Kmet will be up for rookie of the year with 70 recs-850 yds

Montgomery will total 1500 yds

Miller along with Robinson will each reach 1000 yds.

I think Montgomery is close but Kmet will be closer to 40-450, Miller will be closer to 62- 740.  

I could see Monty getting 1500 total if he gets 1000/500. I don't think Kmet gets somewhere closer to 600. Otherwise, the QB would need over 4500 yards to get the receivers those numbers.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I seen a stat that last yr, Smith had a 3.4 miss tackle rate and Trevathan had a 4.1. Smith was 8th and Trevathan was 10th.  That's 2 in the top 10 in the league. Bold  very well to be #1 D in the league. 

I saw this too: "Kwiatkoski ranked 30th in PFF’s run-stop percentage", so that may have been why they decided to go with DT over Kwit.

4 hours ago, adam said:

I could see Monty getting 1500 total if he gets 1000/500. I don't think Kmet gets somewhere closer to 600. Otherwise, the QB would need over 4500 yards to get the receivers those numbers.

For Monty to get 1500, or anywhere close Naggy will have to commit to running the ball with consistency which he hasn't yet shown that he wants to.  Maybe that changes this year and he realizes how important the run game is to a balanced offense.  It also means there needs to be more variety in run plays when we do run it.  Our offense has been too predictable, some of that is on Mitch, some is on Naggy.  Mitch has shown leadership in organizing workouts and has a good attitude along with honest self reflection of his game/tendancies.  Will it translate on the field?  He needs to take that next step and be more than a 1 read QB who overthinks things.  It's make or break this year for his time in Chicago.  I like the kid but at some point it's put up or shut up.

Kwit has all the heart, but he is a step too slow for the NFL. That's why they went with Trevathan.

Also, I think there is a good chance we may have one of the best linebacking groups in the history of football. They remind me (on paper) of the 80s Saints.

Add in Hicks, Goldman and Nichols, and this could be one of the best front 7 ever. And with EJack and Fuller behind em, this defense could be ferocious.

But thats all on paper of course. Just like Montgomery looks to be ready for a 1200+ yard season, but Nagy has to hand him the ball, and the OL has to open holes for him.

Our defense is going to be awesome barring injuries. 'Fuller-EJac-Mack-Hicks-Quinn-Smith All potential All pros. Trevathan-Goldman-just a notch below and Johnson-Nichols potential stars. Might as well mention Skine-average.

Where are teams going to attack us? Skine and Johnson? Run at Quinn? short quick throws to keep the rush off? Running the ball is going to be tough. This could be a 60 sack season.

OK back to reality- 55 sacks.

Today the group coaches were interviewed. A few notes:  The new line coach was big on Ifedi and thought Daniels could be an all pro C. Daniels put on 10 lbs of muscle. Hopefully they put him at center and leave him there.

The new TE coach was praising Shaheen, so predicting him gone maybe a little premature. We know Graham, Komet, Harris, are making it, so Holtz or Jasper may be out. I think Hotlz will play some FB so I think he makes it. No real backup at Y if Horsted isnt kept around.

24 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Today the group coaches were interviewed. A few notes:  The new line coach was big on Ifedi and thought Daniels could be an all pro C. Daniels put on 10 lbs of muscle. Hopefully they put him at center and leave him there.

The new TE coach was praising Shaheen, so predicting him gone maybe a little premature. We know Graham, Komet, Harris, are making it, so Holtz or Jasper may be out. I think Hotlz will play some FB so I think he makes it. No real backup at Y if Horsted isnt kept around.

I took some light flak for mentioning moving Daniel's to C.  Kmet can play both TE positions, i just figured with Graham he would see more field time as the inline TE. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

all the coaches praise Shaheen until the real games start

Ridley was also mentioned as a breakout candidate at WR, so that's promising. With them drafting Mooney and signing Ginn. The WR competition for those final spots is going to be tight. Wims may be the odd man out if he doesn't take the next step.