Quinn Adjusting to OLB

BearFan PHX

I just read this article, and it makes an interesting point. Quinn played DE, and OLB will be new to him. I expect that will show most on keeping contain and playing the screen, stuff like that.

But we brought him here to rush the quarterback, and Roquan has his back on that side too.

And all of this only matters in base defense. We're in nickel about half the time anyway, and he will play four-man-front DE in that formation anyway.

Im very optimistic about our front 7. Who do you double team? It's gonna be fearsome.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2020/6/18/21296170/chicago-bears-chuck-pagano-robert-quinn-3-4-defense

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

I just read this article, and it makes an interesting point. Quinn played DE, and OLB will be new to him. I expect that will show most on keeping contain and playing the screen, stuff like that.

But we brought him here to rush the quarterback, and Roquan has his back on that side too.

And all of this only matters in base defense. We're in nickel about half the time anyway, and he will play four-man-front DE in that formation anyway.

Im very optimistic about our front 7. Who do you double team? It's gonna be fearsome.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2020/6/18/21296170/chicago-bears-chuck-pagano-robert-quinn-3-4-defense

Thats all well an good.  And I know this is simplistic.  But here's the ball there's the QB now go get one.  I personally down want to see Mac or Quinn dropping back to cover anyone more that maybe 5% of plays.  How much did Dent or LT drop back?  Just attack and Fup the play.  Thank you

16 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

yeah but in a 3-4 if Quinn and Mack both rush, then thats a blitz basically, and youre down a man in coverage.

I think in passing situations they usually pull one of the lineman and just rush with 4. I might be wrong on that, but I know one set they do that on.

5 hours ago, adam said:

I saw some news about Mack and Smith both training like beasts. Hopefully, it translates to a great season. If those two are better than they were in 2019, the defense is going to be a top 5 unit.

If you are considered one of the top 3 Defensive players in the league, and you only get single digit sacks, that would have to piss him off. 

26 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think in passing situations they usually pull one of the lineman and just rush with 4. I might be wrong on that, but I know one set they do that on.

totally. like I said above, about half the time they will be in nickel, and Quinn can have his hand in the dirt and just rush the passer like a regular 4-3 DE.

But on base defense downs, Quinn will have other responsibilities too, so that might be somewhere he could struggle. But I'd rather have a guy who brings a ton of pass rush and struggles a bit against screens and in space than the opposite (Floyd).