Mahomes signs 10-yr extension 400M+

adam

Average of $45M a year, $140M in guarantees. I get it, but man. Once this new money hits, how do they field a team worth a damn? Once Wilson's new money hit, he had one WR, no RBs, no TEs, and half a defense. This works out for the team on the 2nd half of the deal, but I would assume the contract is renegotiated year after year until another deal is locked in. 

A good problem to have, but has this ever worked out before? It seems once a QB gets paid big money, they never win it all again.

No player has ever signed a contract more than Matt Ryan's $150M (5 yr deal) or more than Wilson's $35M per year average (4 yrs). Mahomes gets an average over $50M and a total 3x times more than Ryan's. So depending on when the money hits the cap, the Chiefs are going to have to make some huge cuts to their roster in the next few years to get under the cap. Mahomes will take up almost $45M more in cap space between this season and 2022. 

So the 6th year is where it gets crazy, $60M for that year. His first season is the only cap hit below the highest paid QB in the game. Every other season he is almost guaranteed to be the highest paid QB until at least 2027.

Cap Hits:

2020: $7M
2021: $25M
----------
2022: $31M
2023: $35M
2024: $40M
2025: $42M
2026: $42M
2027: $60M

That is a ton of money but he sure is fun to watch. Who knows, maybe Mitch has a good year, Bears sign him to a reasonable deal and he builds on that good year and ends up being great and one day we all look back and Mahomes was the better player, but Mitch got more rings?  I can dream, right?  

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

That is a ton of money but he sure is fun to watch. Who knows, maybe Mitch has a good year, Bears sign him to a reasonable deal and he builds on that good year and ends up being great and one day we all look back and Mahomes was the better player, but Mitch got more rings?  I can dream, right?  

Anything can happen. Guys getting paid big after a SB doesn't normally bode well for the team, so we will see if Mahomes breaks that streak too.