Training Camps will start on July 28th

adam

This news is a few weeks old, but it looks like most teams will start training camp on July 28th (in 2 weeks). Crazy I know. Also, it looks like teams will not bring in 90 players due to COVID-19 and because they won't have time to properly evaluate all of them and get the roster cut down in time. 

The consensus is that the NFL won't play any preseason games even though two are currently scheduled for late August. I would assume there is going to be a lot more soft tissue injuries this year if they don't have any physical contact build up. However, if that reduces the number of COVID cases, then that is the best move.

So what do you think? I would love to have the @NFL back but it is going to be really odd with no fans or 1/4 of the stadium filled. I can see entire teams or at least entire units testing positive for COVID, then being out the next week or two. Can you imagine your entire secondary gone for two weeks. How are they going to address something like that?

As much as it pains me to say this, I seriously doubt the NFL will be able to have a season this year. The pandemic is hitting another surge. Players are going to begin to test positive. Quarantines put in place. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not counting on seeing the Bears play this ear. 

15 minutes ago, Pixote said:

As much as it pains me to say this, I seriously doubt the NFL will be able to have a season this year. The pandemic is hitting another surge. Players are going to begin to test positive. Quarantines put in place. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not counting on seeing the Bears play this ear. 

The death rate is dropping drastically.  If players stay quarantined and test often, rush should be negligible.  I'm at the point on the curve, that it's time to quarantine our elderly and snuff this virus by getting it and moving on.

9 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

The death rate is dropping drastically.  If players stay quarantined and test often, rush should be negligible.  I'm at the point on the curve, that it's time to quarantine our elderly and snuff this virus by getting it and moving on.

Gee, not trying to stir the pot but as an elderly person should I expect to be moved to a camp soon.  I don't think my age group are the ones that are continuing to spread the virus.  I haven't hugged my sons since my70 B-day on March 14th.  And don't count your chickens before they hatch.  Deaths my just start going up when the rosters come home to roost.  Elderly sayings

36 minutes ago, Bill said:

Gee, not trying to stir the pot but as an elderly person should I expect to be moved to a camp soon.  I don't think my age group are the ones that are continuing to spread the virus.  I haven't hugged my sons since my70 B-day on March 14th.  And don't count your chickens before they hatch.  Deaths my just start going up when the rosters come home to roost.  Elderly sayings

Sorry Bill.  I'm just saying, if our elderly self quarantine and the rest of us develop immunity the virus will be stopped.  Kind of like stopping an oil rig fire with an explosion.  Better for everyone.  Then again, I like sports.  Different opinions are out there, but I know what we are doing is taking too long.

12 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Sorry Bill.  I'm just saying, if our elderly self quarantine and the rest of us develop immunity the virus will be stopped.  Kind of like stopping an oil rig fire with an explosion.  Better for everyone.  Then again, I like sports.  Different opinions are out there, but I know what we are doing is taking too long.

that appears to be a bad idea at this point. so far there is no immunity to this virus according to some reports and doctors. people can catch this virus multiple times.

to top this off the actual damage this virus is doing to teenagers and young people, including small children, 'can' have severe consequences in their future. it  can lead into another disease for small children (can't remember which it is off hand), school age kids risk possible brain damage and so on. right now it is just an unknown what the long term consequences could be.

in grown adults it could cause damage to internal organs, blood clots and so on. as we sit now this virus is rampant and unchecked.

we probably need to take the financial hit and shut down again considering we squandered the initial warnings and money used to help people through this by the idiocy of most of our federal, state, and local governments and their agencies. europe has gotten this virus reasonably under control and are able to safely open up with restrictions. we are not even close.  we need to leave this to the disease control professionals and doctors and stop listening to moronic politicians trying to get elected.

39 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

that appears to be a bad idea at this point. so far there is no immunity to this virus according to some reports and doctors. people can catch this virus multiple times.

to top this off the actual damage this virus is doing to teenagers and young people, including small children, 'can' have severe consequences in their future. it  can lead into another disease for small children (can't remember which it is off hand), school age kids risk possible brain damage and so on. right now it is just an unknown what the long term consequences could be.

in grown adults it could cause damage to internal organs, blood clots and so on. as we sit now this virus is rampant and unchecked.

we probably need to take the financial hit and shut down again considering we squandered the initial warnings and money used to help people through this by the idiocy of most of our federal, state, and local governments and their agencies. europe has gotten this virus reasonably under control and are able to safely open up with restrictions. we are not even close.  we need to leave this to the disease control professionals and doctors and stop listening to moronic politicians trying to get elected.

👍🏻  thanks!

According to CNN, the NFLPA announced that 72 players tested positive for Covid-19 as they prepare to open camps.

Not sure how many players were tested or if there will be more reported?

Sure doesn't give me a lot of confidence going forward.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

According to CNN, the NFLPA announced that 72 players tested positive for Covid-19 as they prepare to open camps.

Not sure how many players were tested or if there will be more reported?

Sure doesn't give me a lot of confidence going forward.

I read the story also.  I could not find where it stated if that all happened this week or if it was during all the off season?  I assume it's so far this year, which is not out of normal I think.

I hope they have a season but I just don't see it the way things are going.  And I have a vested interest in them playing.  I'm current league campion of the sudsoakers league.   We have been playing for over 25 years and I don't want to miss my chance to repeat.

Mongo you're spot on. Everyone is focusing on new cases ( blown out of proportion) when it's about the mortality rate.  99.60 % will survive the virus with 80% having mild or no symptoms at all. Older people and people with preexisting conditions are most vulnerable. NBA, 2 out of 322 tested positive.  Mlb 83 out of 11,000 tested positive. Its going to happen. Experts ( WHO) have said that A Systematic patient's can't speard the disease.  We'll be ok. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Mongo you're spot on. Everyone is focusing on new cases ( blown out of proportion) when it's about the mortality rate.  99.60 % will survive the virus with 80% having mild or no symptoms at all. Older people and people with preexisting conditions are most vulnerable. NBA, 2 out of 322 tested positive.  Mlb 83 out of 11,000 tested positive. Its going to happen. Experts ( WHO) have said that A Systematic patient's can't speard the disease.  We'll be ok. 

This is a false statement.  The WHO clarified their remarks after folks ran with the "asymptomatic can't spread" narrative.   Here is a link for WebMD. You can find the same information on the WHO website.  Do they spread it as fast as people with symptoms?  It doesn't appear so, but there are so many unknowns,  I think it's very dangerous to make definitive statements.  It's also important to clarify between asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200609/who-clairifies-comments-on-asymptomatic-covid-spread

http://www.emro.who.int/health-topics/corona-virus/transmission-of-covid-19-by-asymptomatic-cases.html

12 hours ago, FlyfishingBear said:

This is a false statement.  The WHO clarified their remarks after folks ran with the "asymptomatic can't spread" narrative.   Here is a link for WebMD. You can find the same information on the WHO website.  Do they spread it as fast as people with symptoms?  It doesn't appear so, but there are so many unknowns,  I think it's very dangerous to make definitive statements.  It's also important to clarify between asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200609/who-clairifies-comments-on-asymptomatic-covid-spread

http://www.emro.who.int/health-topics/corona-virus/transmission-of-covid-19-by-asymptomatic-cases.html

The reason why Asym's don't transmit it or are less likely to is because they are not coughing, sneezing, wiping their nose, etc as much as those with visible respiratory symptoms. Another thought is that this new spike is a weaker mutated strain that is far closer to the flu than the original virus out of Wuhan.

The issue that I see is that the leagues are going to quarantine players who test positive per the CDC guidelines. So what happens when an entire unit test positive? Now we have replacement level players on the O-Line protecting Pat Mahomes. I don't think that would go over too well with the NFLPA. Players will absolutely spread it to each other with all the physical contact they make and the close interactions. 

We just needed to have a strict and controlled lockdown for 2 weeks and all of this would've been thwarted. Thats what kills me the most. People can't follow the simplest of rules. 

Here are the restart/start plans for the major sports leagues:

MLB: 23JUL - Regular Season (60-game season)
NFL: 28JUL - Training Camps / 10SEP - Regular Season
NBA: 30JUL - Playoffs start
NHL: 01AUG - Playoffs start (Go Hawks!) :headbang

Prediction: Hawks win 4th cup in last decade; Sox win 2nd WS in last 15 years, Bears win SB (all within 4 months)

16 hours ago, FlyfishingBear said:

There is push back on anything that does not promote the mainstream media position on the covid. They asked the official who did the study and she explained it in detail on her findings. She did not go back on her results. There is many conflicting reports from our trusted CDC ( this is not a USA health division, it is a corporation for profit listed on the NYSE)and WHO. You need to dig deep to find information and decide what is true and not true. For example, on the CDC site, they made the statement that they  mistakenly listed 43000 deaths by covid instead of by influenza . They did not change this in the total deaths listed on their site , yet admit the mistake. As soon as a new study comes out showing a better view about the covid, they quickly call it false because it doesnt follow their narrative comparing the covid to the plague  instead of the common flu of which the current data is showing. So pick a side. The lady that made those statements did not say it totally did not transmit the virus but  it was very rare for it to happen. The disease is a real virus but where the conflicting information comes into play is how deadly it is and the current data shows it not to be at all.

These are state of Texas information showing the mortality rate of the covid and comparing them to the flu results of the previous years.

No description available.

3 hours ago, adam said:

The reason why Asym's don't transmit it or are less likely to is because they are not coughing, sneezing, wiping their nose, etc as much as those with visible respiratory symptoms. Another thought is that this new spike is a weaker mutated strain that is far closer to the flu than the original virus out of Wuhan.

The issue that I see is that the leagues are going to quarantine players who test positive per the CDC guidelines. So what happens when an entire unit test positive? Now we have replacement level players on the O-Line protecting Pat Mahomes. I don't think that would go over too well with the NFLPA. Players will absolutely spread it to each other with all the physical contact they make and the close interactions. 

We just needed to have a strict and controlled lockdown for 2 weeks and all of this would've been thwarted. Thats what kills me the most. People can't follow the simplest of rules. 

I definitely see it affecting the league but not to the degree as to shut down the season. The NBA games will give an idea because they have a lot of contact in their sport, to  how well this will go. If they do regular testing , it will help to limit positive tested players from affecting other players. 

On 7/20/2020 at 9:58 AM, Stinger226 said:

You need to dig deep to find information and decide what is true and not true. For example, on the CDC site, they made the statement that they  mistakenly listed 43000 deaths by covid instead of by influenza . They did not change this in the total deaths listed on their site , yet admit the mistake. As soon as a new study comes out showing a better view about the covid, they quickly call it false because it doesnt follow their narrative comparing the covid to the plague  instead of the common flu of which the current data is showing. So pick a side. The lady that made those statements did not say it totally did not transmit the virus but  it was very rare for it to happen. The disease is a real virus but where the conflicting information comes into play is how deadly it is and the current data shows it not to be at all.

These are state of Texas information showing the mortality rate of the covid and comparing them to the flu results of the previous years.

There is push back on anything that does not promote the mainstream media position on the covid.

mainstream media position as opposed to WHAT? conspiracy theory sites? crackpot hacks on the airwaves/net instigating skewed facts and theories? the Ministry Of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda (Fox News)? transmissions from deep space?

According to the philosopher Harry Frankfurt, lies differ from bullsh*t in that liars must track the truth in order to conceal it, whereas bullsh*tters have no regard or sensitivity for the truth or even for what their intended audience believes, so long as this audience is convinced or carried by their rhetoric.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201909/lies-damned-lies-and-alternative-facts

There is many conflicting reports from our trusted CDC ( this is not a USA health division, it is a corporation for profit listed on the NYSE)and WHO.

conflicting reports?? are you really this ignorant or is there something i am missing here? do you mean...

VICTORY PORTFOLIOS II SHARES US EQ INC ENHNCD VOLTLITY WDT ETF CDC which is listed on the board as 'CDC' which is a capital investment firm?

https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/CDC/dividends/scorecard

or maybe this one if you mistook the NYSE for their canadian counterparts....

"Cadillac Ventures trades on the Canadian Venture Exchange (CVE) under the ticker symbol "CDC."  Cadillac Ventures Inc. engages in the acquisition, exploration, and development of mineral properties in Canada.

https://www.marketbeat.com/stocks/CVE/CDC/

or are these FACTS about the CDC too conflicting and difficult to grasp...

CDC - It is a United States federal agency, under the Department of Health and Human Services, and is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centers_for_Disease_Control_and_Prevention

under the FEDERAL REGISTER...

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as part of the Public Health Service

Parent Agency - Health and Human Services Department

https://www.federalregister.gov/agencies/centers-for-disease-control-and-prevention

You need to dig deep to find information and decide what is true and not true.

this i agree with.

the main determination, for me at least, is what i see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears. when possible, this backed up by actual confirmed FACTS one can cross reference. this leads one to believe with a reasonable conclusion that it is true.

For example, on the CDC site, they made the statement that they  mistakenly listed 43000 deaths by covid instead of by influenza . They did not change this in the total deaths listed on their site , yet admit the mistake. As soon as a new study comes out showing a better view about the covid, they quickly call it false because it doesnt follow their narrative comparing the covid to the plague  instead of the common flu of which the current data is showing. So pick a side.

ok let's look at the facts you so willingly wish to portray about texas.

Houston Chronicle: From Sunday to Monday, Texas cases increased by 2.14 percent, or 7,153 cases, to 341,739 cases total. An additional 64 new deaths were reported; the state's death count is now at 4,055. The state's positive test rate declined from 15.03 percent to 14.67 percent.

As of Monday evening, there were 10,569 patients hospitalized for COVID-19 in state hospitals. There were 11,167 beds available as well as 1,004 ICU beds available - marking the first time since July 8 that the state has had more than 1,000 empty ICU beds.

https://www.chron.com/houston/article/Houston-coronavirus-updates-What-you-need-to-15422694.php

summary:

if someone you trusted handed you a hand gun and said it was unloaded, would you put that gun to your head and pull the trigger to confirm he hadn't made a mistake?

if this were a one off then i would say do whatever you want. you want to take a 16 ft. boat out onto the sea and go fishing during a hurricane that's your business. you want to swim the english channel with rocks in your pockets, go for it.

but you don't have the luxury of just putting your own life in danger however foolish. you by ignoring common sense safety endanger those around you. someone you come in contact with, even if you survive, may not.

if that is the case, then isn't it common sense to err on the side caution if someones life (yours, your family or even a complete strangers) 'could' be at stake? of course it is.

so why am i wasting my time arguing on here with people like you? if REAL and not imagined information on this site can save the life of ANY reader, someone in their family or even a complete stranger then i feel compelled to do so.

Get something straight, I wear masks in public so when u say I dont follow protocol, you have no idea what your talking about. You make the same points that I do. You have no idea whats going on, your a brainwashed liberal sheep. So you have to say what you have to say I will speak what I know. The  key to everything is digesting information and form your own opinion. Its useless to have a conversation with people like you, because you are so misinformed its literally impossible to have a intelligent conversation. I got the disease while I was in Thailand. Surprise Surprise, I didnt die. I had two bad days while I was sick. Im 68 so I am suppose to be in the danger group. I got news from 6 different countries about the virus. Not the hosed up MSM of USA. I am not trying to change your opinion, just had something to say.  By the way, I have the anti bodies, so two doctors told me I can not spread the disease, but Im sure they dont watch CNN, so apparently their wrong. 

Back to sports, I heard the new rules are that they will only bring 80 players to camp, so that means they have to cut 10 players.

Cut players: Lee Autry/DL

Darion Lee/TE

Trevon McSwain/DL

Eric Saubert/TE

Alex Wesley/WR

Amed Wagner/WR

Lacalle London/OLB

Badara Traone/OL

Dieter Eiselen/OL

Xavier Crawford/DB

Your turn.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:06 AM, Stinger226 said:

I definitely see it affecting the league but not to the degree as to shut down the season. The NBA games will give an idea because they have a lot of contact in their sport, to  how well this will go. If they do regular testing , it will help to limit positive tested players from affecting other players. 

Stinger, the funny thing about testing is there is nothing stopping you from contracting it after you test and before your next test and spreading it. So unless they test and have results back before the next interaction, it will be very hard to contain any spread. The test is only good until that next interaction. 

The NBA will be interesting to see how they handle everything.

16 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

😐

16 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Back to sports, I heard the new rules are that they will only bring 80 players to camp, so that means they have to cut 10 players.

Cut players: Lee Autry/DL

Darion Lee/TE

Trevon McSwain/DL

Eric Saubert/TE

Alex Wesley/WR

Amed Wagner/WR

Lacalle London/OLB

Badara Traone/OL

Dieter Eiselen/OL

Xavier Crawford/DB

Your turn.

I think you meant Darion Clark.

With 10 less spots, I assume they shave off no more than 2 from any position group to keep the units sort of even as they shrink the rosters.

QB - keep all 3
RB - keep all 5, maybe shave off Napoleon Maxwell (definitely a bubble guy, 11th cut)
WR - have 12, so they definitely shave off 2: (Alex Wesley and Reggie Davis)
TE - still have 9, one or two gotta go, I will say one now (Darion Clark)
OL - 15 on the roster, two gone for sure (Badara Traone and Dino Boyd)

DL -  9 on roster, I will say they drop one here: (Trevon McSwain)
LB -  have 15, (Keandre Jones, Rashad Smith)
DB -  the biggest position group, 18, wow, they have to drop 2 (Xavier Crawford and Kindle Vindor)

ST - keep all 4

If anything else I can see them dropping a 3rd DBs in this initial cut. Even 16 seems like a lot to manage in one position group.

On 7/20/2020 at 4:54 AM, adam said:

Here are the restart/start plans for the major sports leagues:

MLB: 23JUL - Regular Season (60-game season)
NFL: 28JUL - Training Camps / 10SEP - Regular Season
NBA: 30JUL - Playoffs start
NHL: 01AUG - Playoffs start (Go Hawks!) :headbang

Prediction: Hawks win 4th cup in last decade; Sox win 2nd WS in last 15 years, Bears win SB (all within 4 months)

And Bulls win 2nd bubble - getting surprise push into the NBA playoffs (commish was so impressed that he made a specific rule for them to be included) and Lavine and Mark look like the next Pippen/Jordan and win a shocking championship.  DBDB bet $1 which turned into $100B in payout :)

On 7/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, DABEARSDABOMB said:

And Bulls win 2nd bubble - getting surprise push into the NBA playoffs (commish was so impressed that he made a specific rule for them to be included) and Lavine and Mark look like the next Pippen/Jordan and win a shocking championship.  DBDB bet $1 which turned into $100B in payout :)

Sure would be nice to see the Bulls turn into a winning squad again.  Been a heck of a dry spell with a few false hopes seasons mixed in.  Course had Rose never gotten injured things could have been much different.  He's became a shell of his former self.  I'm hoping that finally moving away from the Gar Pax era will help things finally move in the right direction.  Loved Pax as a player  but as a co-gm was a bust.