Jamal Adams Trade

adam

So the Bears took flak for the package they sent to the Raiders for Mack, yet Seattle can give up more for Adams, a Safety no less, and it's a good deal for both sides? LMAO! 

Also, remember the Bears got a 2nd back. This is a huge overpay IMO.

This was not a good trade for Seattle. They gave up way too much.  I didn't like the Mack trade either, because I similarly thought I much. I  just don't believe in trading that many 1st round picks unless you truly believe you are one step away.  Seattle is better positioned to make that claim than the Bears were when they made the Mack move.  However, I'm also going to state if there was a non QB who you give up that many picks for, it is for an edge rush like Mack.  

31 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

This was not a good trade for Seattle. They gave up way too much.  I didn't like the Mack trade either, because I similarly thought I much. I  just don't believe in trading that many 1st round picks unless you truly believe you are one step away.  Seattle is better positioned to make that claim than the Bears were when they made the Mack move.  However, I'm also going to state if there was a non QB who you give up that many picks for, it is for an edge rush like Mack.  

I didn't like it either at first, but I thought that one first rounder was a decent deal with us getting that 2nd back for the 2nd 1st rounder. The overall draft compensation will be way less than what Seattle gave up.

Also, the Mack trade worked, if not for a missed FG, the team could've made it at least into the Divisional Round of the playoffs and seemed to have a clear path to the SB.

Seattle though? I know everyone is hyping that defense again, but they were in the bottom half of the league, and even with adding someone like Adams, they may jump up 3-5 spots, but that puts them at league average at best. They also are in a division with SB loser SF, LAR, and up and coming ARZ. Those are going to be some tough division games to win. 

Yes the Mack trade was done when we, or at least I and Pace, thought we had everything in place to make a multi year run.  But a lot was given up.  Seattle is only giving up two low first round picks but also an also starting safety, who I believe was not that bad.  And my understanding is Adams will play a pivotal part in their defense, much like Mack in any.  Time will only tell.  In our case we were wrong about our QB being the player to allow us to build a team around a rookie contract.  We have now spent more to correct that mistake and still don't know if we're on the right path.  Again time will tell

I do know I'm running out of time to get this DAMN QB position right.

13 hours ago, Bill said:

Yes the Mack trade was done when we, or at least I and Pace, thought we had everything in place to make a multi year run.  But a lot was given up.  Seattle is only giving up two low first round picks but also an also starting safety, who I believe was not that bad.  And my understanding is Adams will play a pivotal part in their defense, much like Mack in any.  Time will only tell.  In our case we were wrong about our QB being the player to allow us to build a team around a rookie contract.  We have now spent more to correct that mistake and still don't know if we're on the right path.  Again time will tell

I do know I'm running out of time to get this DAMN QB position right.

Seattle is better postured at QB to make a trade like this, but where else? Rasheen Green led their team in sacks last year with 4.0. Chris Carson is in the last year of his rookie deal as a RB and Tyler Lockett is their WR1 who barely broke 1k yards last year for the first time in his career. Lockett has the 4th highest cap hit at $12.5M. To me this team has a couple of nice pieces, and Adams is a great addition, but they can't keep everyone. If they don't win it this year, and even if they do, expect a big blowup next offseason.

My biggest concern right now with the Adams trade is the uncertainty of the season due to COVID. They would essentially lose a year of him while the Jets still keep the draft picks. As far as I know, the players don't slide their deals to the right, so Adams would instantly be due a massive raise 3 to 4 times his current salary, making them cut several key contributors. Huge risk for them especially knowing the situation. 

6 hours ago, adam said:

Seattle is better postured at QB to make a trade like this, but where else? Rasheen Green led their team in sacks last year with 4.0. Chris Carson is in the last year of his rookie deal as a RB and Tyler Lockett is their WR1 who barely broke 1k yards last year for the first time in his career. Lockett has the 4th highest cap hit at $12.5M. To me this team has a couple of nice pieces, and Adams is a great addition, but they can't keep everyone. If they don't win it this year, and even if they do, expect a big blowup next offseason.

My biggest concern right now with the Adams trade is the uncertainty of the season due to COVID. They would essentially lose a year of him while the Jets still keep the draft picks. As far as I know, the players don't slide their deals to the right, so Adams would instantly be due a massive raise 3 to 4 times his current salary, making them cut several key contributors. Huge risk for them especially knowing the situation. 

I agree.   I don't understand the trading for a player in the last year or two of their contract without getting them signed long term like the Bears with Mack.  I believe Adams has two years left on his rookie deal and they can still Fran. tag him correct?

23 minutes ago, Bill said:

I agree.   I don't understand the trading for a player in the last year or two of their contract without getting them signed long term like the Bears with Mack.  I believe Adams has two years left on his rookie deal and they can still Fran. tag him correct?

Bill,

I guess they feel like they can get comp picks if he walks? That's really it. Other than that, they are going all in. Rarely does it work out. I believe they can franchise him but that becomes costly over time.

My thing is with all the uncertainty, why now? They could potentially lose the last small year of his rookie deal. In 2021, his cap hit (for 5th year option) jumps to almost 10M, and if he gets what he wants, he is looking for #1 Safety money which will be over $15M a year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seattle's number 1 WR is DK Metcalf who had a decent 1st year and they expect bigger things out of him also the addition of Greg Olsen at TE if healthy is also a plus. I remember Seattle being one unfinished drive away from having the top seed in the NFC. Am I wrong?

They don't have a good trade if they don't sign him long term.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:13 AM, lemonej said:

Seattle's number 1 WR is DK Metcalf who had a decent 1st year and they expect bigger things out of him also the addition of Greg Olsen at TE if healthy is also a plus. I remember Seattle being one unfinished drive away from having the top seed in the NFC. Am I wrong?

They don't have a good trade if they don't sign him long term.

They survive on RW's magic, which is just too chaotic to count on. When he makes insane plays, they win, when they don't work, he loses.