Goldman sitting out etc

BearFan PHX

So apparently Eddie Goldman has opted to sit out the 2020 season.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2020/7/28/21345072/bears-starting-dl-eddie-goldman-opts-out-of-2020-season-report

Add this to the politics etc, and I am getting dangerously close to not caring at all about this team or NFL football for the first time in my life.

I would say that the Bears were one of the things I looked forward to most every year too.

He must have someone with a health issue in his family that he doesn't want to risk.  If he is all we lose , I would be happy.  I don't think they have to pay his salary for the year. Anyone out there we can sign to a one year deal that would be better than our replacements.  This is a fcked up year , so all I want to see is the NFL get played and distract me from the hell that's happening right now. 

There is going to be a lot more before this is over with.  They should just delay everything.

To each his own, but some of these guys are more at risk partying with their friends and family than they are in a controlled environment with frequent testing and surveillance. Just surf Instagram for a few and you will see what I mean. It's not like these guys are capable of taking their own precautions.

Goldman already got his bonus for the year, which was more than he was making annually on his rookie deal. So why risk anything, especially if he is out of shape?

sure, if Goldman can get $ and not play, and that's best for him, I dont blame him. But I dont want to watch a team that isnt that interested in winning. If I get the feeling they are just making a paycheck, and not really fighting, then I am turned off.

With us having John Jenkins on the team I suspect he gets the first shot at NT. I suspect Blair Nichols gets some reps there with RRH playing the end spot. We save 7.9 mil in cap space with him not getting his salary this year. Smack Harrison is still out there in FA, at 350, a big guy that is good against the run but no pass rush. We could also add at other spots with this add to the money bag. Maybe a Larry Warford or a Devote Freeman.

27 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

With us having John Jenkins on the team I suspect he gets the first shot at NT. I suspect Blair Nichols gets some reps there with RRH playing the end spot. We save 7.9 mil in cap space with him not getting his salary this year. Smack Harrison is still out there in FA, at 350, a big guy that is good against the run but no pass rush. We could also add at other spots with this add to the money bag. Maybe a Larry Warford or a Devote Freeman.

He only played 45% of the snaps, so I would be all in on Snacks. We do gain a good chunk back in cap space. If you are Pace, you need to use it. 

30 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

His salary simply moves to next year but they don't need to pay him the bonus again.

Peace

Yep, contract slides over, bonus on this year's cap, not next. Interesting timing for me with a lot of these guys. My thought is if you waited until today (first day of mandatory camp) to notify the team, you were not ready for camp and this was an easy way out and was not about the virus. The guys with underlying conditions or family members that live with them, I can understand. 

Several things.  First, Goldman is passing up 7 million this year not to play.  Granted, he’ll get it eventually, but this could not have been an easy decision.  While it’s disappointing, I have no problem with it.   

As for football being the thing we all look forward to, I was just lamenting that July 31 was typically the day I visited training camp.   Granted, it was not going to be in Bourbannais this year, but at least we’d have been flooded with camp stories by now. 

That being said, I’m a St. Louis Cardinal fan, and tonight’s game is cancelled because 2 pitchers tested positive.  Baseball has far few players and much less contact.  I REALLY hope we can have a football season regardless of who decides not to play.  

Most importantly:  we are saving 7 million in cap space on Goldman.  That’s damn good starter money.  Who are we signing???  Who are we trading for???