foodie rant

Bill

Born south of Chicago.  Harvey- Evergreen Park area a long time ago.  My dad was born and raised in Chicago.  Worked at a pizza parlor at night till we moved in 56. Don't remember the name just that it was not deep dish but thin crispy crust.  For years afterward our family and relatives would make him cook pies every year or two.  Everything from scratch.   Dough, sauce, sausage.   He would spend the whole day in the kitchen working away.

Just sitting here now eating a couple Italian Beef sandwiches from taste ofChicago.  When done right my favorite sandwich.  I make them myself but don't have a meat slicer.  Needed to get the meat paper thin and still haven't found the right rolls in may area yet.  

For those of you who still have parents or relatives who cook things you love to eat.  Take advantage of that time.  It's never the same when you do it years later.

And as far as the Italian Beef.  Very wet of course and very good.  Can't wait till tomorrow to have a couple more!

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Born south of Chicago.  Harvey- Evergreen Park area a long time ago.  My dad was born and raised in Chicago.  Worked at a pizza parlor at night till we moved in 56. Don't remember the name just that it was not deep dish but thin crispy crust.  For years afterward our family and relatives would make him cook pies every year or two.  Everything from scratch.   Dough, sauce, sausage.   He would spend the whole day in the kitchen working away.

Just sitting here now eating a couple Italian Beef sandwiches from taste ofChicago.  When done right my favorite sandwich.  I make them myself but don't have a meat slicer.  Needed to get the meat paper thin and still haven't found the right rolls in may area yet.  

For those of you who still have parents or relatives who cook things you love to eat.  Take advantage of that time.  It's never the same when you do it years later.

And as far as the Italian Beef.  Very wet of course and very good.  Can't wait till tomorrow to have a couple more!

Bill, is that a Soaker, Italian Beef sandwich dipped in au jus?

Sloppy wet so you need a bib to eat it.  You bet.  But I like to dip mine in the juice just before each bite so the bread is soaked but still has a little crunch.  Gotta have the right bread.  Just out of the oven, crispy but not heavy dense.   The rolls that come with the kit work great because they need about five minutes of finishing cooking and are just perfect.

15 hours ago, Bill said:

Sloppy wet so you need a bib to eat it.  You bet.  But I like to dip mine in the juice just before each bite so the bread is soaked but still has a little crunch.  Gotta have the right bread.  Just out of the oven, crispy but not heavy dense.   The rolls that come with the kit work great because they need about five minutes of finishing cooking and are just perfect.

Man I love those, of all the foods from Chicago, outside of authentic pizza, the Soaker is my go to. Now that I am in Alabama, all I can get is Italian Beef and rolls from Sam's Club. It is not the same but close. 

What is another one you like?

1 hour ago, adam said:

Man I love those, of all the foods from Chicago, outside of authentic pizza, the Soaker is my go to. Now that I am in Alabama, all I can get is Italian Beef and rolls from Sam's Club. It is not the same but close. 

What is another one you like?

Portillo's makes a pretty good hot ital beef. in the last few years they have expanded their chain so check if there is one near your location.

17 hours ago, Bill said:

Stop it, you're killing me! LOL  :bears

Taste of Chicago has mail order you can get some Malnati Deep dish and everything Italian Beef.  From roles to gardenarie.  Portillos and Vienna.  Not cheep but quick service.  I got mine in less that a week.   We remodeled our Kitchen the last two months ourselves and ate a lot of take out.  Turns out the mail order wasn't that much more expensive.

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

Taste of Chicago has mail order you can get some Malnati Deep dish and everything Italian Beef.  From roles to gardenarie.  Portillos and Vienna.  Not cheep but quick service.  I got mine in less that a week.   We remodeled our Kitchen the last two months ourselves and ate a lot of take out.  Turns out the mail order wasn't that much more expensive.

I have already ordered the Malnati's Deep Dish that way, I will need to check out the Italian Beef from there. I got a $100 package, in dry ice, was completely frozen upon arrival in Alabama heat, which was impressive. 

1 hour ago, Lucky Luciano said:

Portillo's makes a pretty good hot ital beef. in the last few years they have expanded their chain so check if there is one near your location.

Damn, no Portillo's by me. I might have to open one.

4 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Yep, Portillo's is a good one. In the Rockford area there are several Old time Italian pizza restaurants that kick ass. 

Yes.  My two favorites a long time ago was the Capri and Linos just up a few blocks.  My dad worked in-between them and became friends with the owners and I always loved getting a carry out pie in the old paper bag that would sit on my lap on the way home.  The smells I still remember.  And how they would snap the bag to slide the pie in.  

17 hours ago, Bill said:

Yes.  My two favorites a long time ago was the Capri and Linos just up a few blocks.  My dad worked in-between them and became friends with the owners and I always loved getting a carry out pie in the old paper bag that would sit on my lap on the way home.  The smells I still remember.  And how they would snap the bag to slide the pie in.  

Spot on the two best.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised no body mention Al's Beef on north Damen in Chicago a longtime favorite and might I add A good dog or polish sausage is a favorite of mine. I live in Villa Park and there are two Portillo's and wonderful place called Strat's close by, as well as Mickey's.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, lemonej said:

I'm surprised no body mention Al's Beef on north Damen in Chicago a longtime favorite and might I add A good dog or polish sausage is a favorite of mine. I live in Villa Park and there are two Portillo's and wonderful place called Strat's close by, as well as Mickey's.

Oh man, I haven't had Al's in 30 years.