Fire Nagy

adam

The skill of the players has overcome inept coaching for the last few years. It is so clear to see out on the field. Nagy replaced Trubisky with Foles and now after a few games, it is clear that QB was not the problem. If Nagy is unwilling to have someone else take over playcalling and admit fault (which started in KC), he needs to be fired. 

If he is willing to do that, then he can stay on as the HC. Otherwise, I am done with him. I don't care about the record, we are underachieving. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not on the "fire Nagy" bandwagon.  I'm definitely in for an intervention.

Ryan Pace.  Put your foot down and limit your HC.  He his clearly out of his depth with double duty.  The team plays hard for Nagy and the D had not given up.

Matt Nagy.  Put your foot down and demand better effort from your offense.  Too many times I sit and watch Montgomery continue to fight while his OL just stand there.  That is not OL mentality.  Too many times again, I see your receivers slacking on routes that might not include them.  Being a decoy is important.  Also, talk your DC into making Drew Brees throw it over the top our your defense.  Show some balls.

Nagy and Pace - suspend Javon Wims for his actions.  I love a good fight, but that was beyond ugly and had no place in sport.

I think there are times when Foles needs to sit for a series or two to clear his head.  I'm not against Trubisky coming in for a few minutes.

Lastly, Alex Bars must be injured.  Now way Coward is better than anyone with a pulse.  Worst offensive lineman I has ever witnessed.

The problem with Nagy and Pace is they both think they are the smartest guys in the room, and you can't convince them otherwise. Think of all the cute stuff that Nagy has tried, Sowell as a TE, CP as a RB, Coward conversion to OL, and even when that doesn't work, they keep going back to it regardless of the outcome. There is no way you can look at the tape of Coward and say he is doing anything beyond what some guy on another team's practice squad can't do. There is no way he should be a starter in the NFL, but they keep sending him out there. Look at how Nagy handled Long last year, he had one bad game, and was shit canned for the rest of the year with a phantom injury that he didn't have. 

The undisciplined play, penalties, etc, all point to coaching failures. Those are not because Nagy is calling plays.

Something has to give. Fire Ragone, somebody. 

Looking back, the crazy thing is this team has underperformed every season under Nagy. When they went 12-4, they had the best defense in the NFL in a decade, but still lost 4 games and couldn't win a single playoff game. That was a 14 win team with nothing less than a SB appearance talent. Then in 2019, there was no way that same team with a few injuries regresses like that. They were barely winning games last year. They won 6 by 7 pts or less, 1 by 10, and beat WAS by 16. The other teams only scored more than 24 twice, yet we only won 8 games. Now this season, and we have a top 5 defense and we keep losing. 

To me the common denominator is Nagy. 

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Nagy and Pace - suspend Javon Wims for his actions.  I love a good fight, but that was beyond ugly and had no place in sport.

I think there are times when Foles needs to sit for a series or two to clear his head.  I'm not against Trubisky coming in for a few minutes.

Lastly, Alex Bars must be injured.  Now way Coward is better than anyone with a pulse.  Worst offensive lineman I has ever witnessed.

wims should be cut today. that is as stupid a penalty as there is. it is reminiscent of the titan defensive tackle stomping on a player a number of years ago. to top it off he wasn't happy with one punch he felt he needed TWO punches in case the ref missed the first one while standing wide open right in the middle of the field. then doing the happy dance like it was going to be called on the saints player? this put the saints in near scoring position that actually led to a score that could have been the difference in the game. just say goodbye wims we wasted a draft pick and our time coaching you.

someone mentioned the timeout on third down before the half with 58 seconds left by nagy. it was yet ANOTHER stupid clock management call. what in the he!! is this guy thinking? the saints were on their own 40 yard line!! you just gave them a chance to convert a long third down with tons of time left (that you gave them) and at least score a field goal.

and to that stupidity add idiocy. it's 4th down and 4 and you are on your own 20 yard line in the freakin THIRD Quarter only down by 3 and you line up like you are going to snap the freaking ball to draw them offsides??? and then you get a delay of game call which puts the punter 5 YARDS deeper in your own redzone if you don't call a timeout that wastes one of your 3 in the 3rd quarter!!! that wouldn't have fooled a farm animal into believing we were actually going to snap the ball.

i am about done with this nagi crap as being a hot up and coming coach. he is more of a detriment to this team than a positive force.

now, let's get to foles vs trubisky. as much as i would love for mitch to have turned out to be even a good qb it just isn't happening at this point in his career (maybe 5 or 10 years from now a different story). he is slow reading defenses, he is slow to make the quick read, he is slow releasing the ball. his passes over 15-20 yards are so far off the mark that no defense considers it a danger. in other words he is at best a ham and egger qb.

foles has decent accuracy and seems to have the capability to read a defense. his release is reasonably quick and he is seeing the field to find the open receiver for the most part. his problem is two fold... escapability and arm strength.

as of this point in his game, he is being mauled by defensive players because out OL is like a turnstyle. this effects BOTH mitch and foles. foles at this time is hearing footsteps behind him. that is usually because he literally is along with two or three defensive players coming around leno, massie and one of our guards right in his face. he is getting shell shocked just like cutler was because he is getting knocked down every other play.

it is effecting his timing and ability to find the correct receivers. add to this the amount of drops our WR's have shown and it's a recipe for disaster which is what we are seeing. our OL can't move past the LOS and open lanes for our running game. this makes us one dimensional and our stupid coach seems to think if we keep running the same running plays it's going to work.

it's raw stupidity on our coaching staff and also put it on our GM who has done NOTHING to draft good tackles in FIVE YEARS!!!!

it's looking to me like yet another wasted five year program to replace pace and nagy who in my opinion would deserve it.

24 minutes ago, adam said:

The problem with Nagy and Pace is they both think they are the smartest guys in the room, and you can't convince them otherwise. Think of all the cute stuff that Nagy has tried, Sowell as a TE, CP as a RB, Coward conversion to OL, and even when that doesn't work, they keep going back to it regardless of the outcome. There is no way you can look at the tape of Coward and say he is doing anything beyond what some guy on another team's practice squad can't do. There is no way he should be a starter in the NFL, but they keep sending him out there. Look at how Nagy handled Long last year, he had one bad game, and was shit canned for the rest of the year with a phantom injury that he didn't have. 

The undisciplined play, penalties, etc, all point to coaching failures. Those are not because Nagy is calling plays.

Looking back, the crazy thing is this team has underperformed every season under Nagy. When they went 12-4, they had the best defense in the NFL in a decade, but still lost 4 games and couldn't win a single playoff game. That was a 14 win team with nothing less than a SB appearance talent. Then in 2019, there was no way that same team with a few injuries regresses like that. They were barely winning games last year. They won 6 by 7 pts or less, 1 by 10, and beat WAS by 16. The other teams only scored more than 24 twice, yet we only won 8 games. Now this season, and we have a top 5 defense and we keep losing. 

If you're going to fire Nagy, then Pace has to go as well. No way he deserves another turn hiring a head coach. 

The Bears do not fire coaches in season - they just don't. If they did, they would have fired Aaron Kromer in 2014. 

I think you have to see how the rest of the season plays out.  If they fall apart completely, then I would not have an issue with them moving on.

Peace

28 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

someone mentioned the timeout on third down before the half with 58 seconds left by nagy. it was yet ANOTHER stupid clock management call. what in the he!! is this guy thinking? the saints were on their own 40 yard line!! you just gave them a chance to convert a long third down with tons of time left (that you gave them) and at least score a field goal.

and to that stupidity add idiocy. it's 4th down and 4 and you are on your own 20 yard line in the freakin THIRD Quarter only down by 3 and you line up like you are going to snap the freaking ball to draw them offsides??? and then you get a delay of game call which puts the punter 5 YARDS deeper in your own redzone if you don't call a timeout that wastes one of your 3 in the 3rd quarter!!! that wouldn't have fooled a farm animal into believing we were actually going to snap the ball.

Yeah, that was me on the TO. What the hell was that? It was a low scoring game, and you just scored and would get the ball back after half. The Saints were going to let the clock run out, or let them call the timeout. That was the difference in the game, 7 pts right there.

Yes, 4th Down inside your own Red Zone, you are not going to fool anyone. It's embarrassing. They were on their own 32 and ended up punting from the 13? They lost 19 yards in that sequence. A false start on CP,  wtf was that? Then NO gets a 42-yard return on a 45-yard punt. Then somehow the defense holds the Saints to a FG. That was an epic stop. 

29 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

wims should be cut today. that is as stupid a penalty as there is. it is reminiscent of the titan defensive tackle stomping on a player a number of years ago. to top it off he wasn't happy with one punch he felt he needed TWO punches in case the ref missed the first one while standing wide open right in the middle of the field. then doing the happy dance like it was going to be called on the saints player? this put the saints in near scoring position that actually led to a score that could have been the difference in the game. just say goodbye wims we wasted a draft pick and our time coaching you.

i am about done with this nagi crap as being a hot up and coming coach. he is more of a detriment to this team than a positive force.

now, let's get to foles vs trubisky. as much as i would love for mitch to have turned out to be even a good qb it just isn't happening at this point in his career (maybe 5 or 10 years from now a different story). he is slow reading defenses, he is slow to make the quick read, he is slow releasing the ball. his passes over 15-20 yards are so far off the mark that no defense considers it a danger. in other words he is at best a ham and egger qb.

foles has decent accuracy and seems to have the capability to read a defense. his release is reasonably quick and he is seeing the field to find the open receiver for the most part. his problem is two fold... escapability and arm strength.

as of this point in his game, he is being mauled by defensive players because out OL is like a turnstyle. this effects BOTH mitch and foles. foles at this time is hearing footsteps behind him. that is usually because he literally is along with two or three defensive players coming around leno, massie and one of our guards right in his face. he is getting shell shocked just like cutler was because he is getting knocked down every other play.

it is effecting his timing and ability to find the correct receivers. add to this the amount of drops our WR's have shown and it's a recipe for disaster which is what we are seeing. our OL can't move past the LOS and open lanes for our running game. this makes us one dimensional and our stupid coach seems to think if we keep running the same running plays it's going to work.

it's raw stupidity on our coaching staff and also put it on our GM who has done NOTHING to draft good tackles in FIVE YEARS!!!!

it's looking to me like yet another wasted five year program to replace pace and nagy who in my opinion would deserve it.

100%

Let me add to the offensive woes.  Due to having the worst OL in the league again, Nagy cannot implement an offense, period.  (Hiestand and Castillo are regarded as the best and they can't make it work)  There is no "OL sucks" offense.  It simply shrinks the field in way that nothing regularly works, especially the run game.  It cuts your ability to go deep, your ability to run complex routes and less is open underneath.  Now we go to chicken and egg.  Did Nagy tell Pace "get me weapons or get me OL"?  Or did Pace neglect?  End of day, shit rolls downhill.  Pace must go.  If Nagy was complicit, he must go as well.  Someone in the org knows the truth.

What to say that hasn't already been said...

Naggy must hand over play calling asap.  There is no flow, no logic, and the only consistency is bad play calling.   When the offense finds any rhythm he throws it away with plays that have 0 chance of success.   We'll start with the hurry up, and as we get a defense on it's heals even a little bit we do something dumb to let them regroup whether it's huddle up, run up the gut for a loss, throw a short pass for no gain, call a time out, etc.  It is so maddening to watch.  The final drive in regulation is a microcosm of how ridiculously dumb our play calling is.  Just under 2 min to go, 2 time outs, and trailing by 3.  And the way he was calling it you't think it was the start of the quarter.  No urgency, we had to convert two 4th downs because we mostly wasted early downs either running up the gut, or throwing passes that gained us nothing on first and second down.  We should have been playing for a TD not playing for a FG to send it into overtime.  Have some friggin balls and go for the win.  No killer instinct at all.  Naggy claims to be aggressive but that was chickenshit.  pardon my french

As much as Naggy is culpable for the play calling and clock mismanagement issues, Pace is culpable for this crap OL we have.  This unit sucked before we started having injuries, and we have backups of backups playing behind guys who wouldn't see the field on most NFL teams.  That is 100% on Pace he has neglected the OL and gone the bargain basement route bringing in late round draft picks, UDFA, and cast offs.  We get blown off the ball play after play, they don't run block they don't pass block they just waste space on the field they don't even bother getting in anyone's way.  Our RB's struggle just to make it back to the line of scrimmage,  Foles has people in his face immediately.  Like Mongo said there is no "OL sucks" offense that can work for us.  it all starts up front, and with this line It wouldn't matter who your skill players are.  You're never going to have any consistent success.  

Trubisky vs Foles.  Both are average at best.  Thinking about Trubisky's issues with being slow to read defense, one read QB, etc.   Is it at all possible that some of these issues are caused at least in part by line play.  Is it possible Mitch has it in his head that he's only going to have time to check his first read and doesn't feel he has the luxury of time to do much else to the point where that becomes a subconscious mental block?  Looking at Foles, more often than not he's not able to set his feet to throw.  They both have been bad on deep throws.  Till last night Foles hadn't connected deep with anyone and he's been mostly every bit as off target as Mitch.  Watching this game and the past few with this OL line, perhaps Mitch could provide mobility that Foles cannot or will not provide.  There was one play in particular that stood out last night.  Foles evades the pressure to his left and there's open field where he could have taken off and at least had a fighting chance to make a first down.  Instead he stops, holds the ball and tries to find a target and gets sacked.  Long story short both QB's are what they are and it's truly hard to know if they are good enough to lead this offense given what they have to work with.

Going into this game, as bad/ugly as we looked on Monday night I gave us little chance to win.  The fact that even with all the problems we have on offense this was a winnable game and we could have taken it but we crapped it down our legs.  And that is maddening to watch.  Add to that with the Packers losing to the Vikings earlier we had a golden opportunity to retake the division lead.  But I don't have high hopes for this team to do anything in the playoffs and even they they might stumble their way out of contention after starting 5-1.  All Know is after this game I had that feeling like you get after watching a horribly bad movie thinking that's 2+ hours of my life I can't get back.  I'm so tired of this vicious cycle of blowing things up new HC, new GM, rebuild, every few years or so.  We always seem to end up right back where we started with needing to blow it up again.  Each time there's that hope that this time it will be different till Lucie pulls the football away again and Charlie lands on his back.  We are again wasting a good-great defense on offensive ineptitude.  

4 hours ago, adam said:

WELL SAID

Sorry, I've been absent for a while...  Since last season, I've emotionally di-vested from this team.  You guys have hit everything wrong with Nagy and Pace.  I saw it last season and we've been seeing it again this season.  I was hoping, that despite the ugly, that we were sill winning, that the light would go off and this staff would "get it".  Nope.  The fact that PAce has singed off on this staff...means he should go too.  While strange thing still could happen.  The record is great.  However, Mark Twain said, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.  Our record is good, but we don't pass the smell test.  It's literally the worst offense I can remember seeing.  I'm 51, and have ben watching for eons.  Everything we do , looks so difficult.  We don't look professional on offense.  Defense is great...pretty much as always.    But offense, we could usually hang our hat on a decent run game.  But, Nagy refuses.  No FB, no playcalls, the moment Monty starts going he's ushered off the field for another gimmick fail.  I fear we will win enough games for McCaskey to let these clowns get one more year.  I don't even care about draft position, good teams find way to get their guy.  KC went 12-4 and got Mahomes.  I just want a new GM and Coach.  The experiment failed.  I don't know who to get...I'm not smart neough for that.  And we know no matter who you choose, there's no guarantee.  Many great coordinators have whiffed as HC's.  Smae w/ GM's...  I'm just ready for a fresh start next season with an opportunity to still have a really solid defense and a reboot on O.  There's not a single player on O other than Mooney that I would be sad to see go.  (I want ARob, but I don't think he wants to be here - why would he?)  Cheers fellas!

Another issue beyond having a GM in Pace and HC in Naggy who have the "smartest guy in the room" syndrome, those above them aren't great football guys either.  Sweaty Teddy is a purely numbers guy, and while likable George is not good at evaluating staff.  Likelihood of new upper management/ownership is nill so our only hope is the blind squirrel finding a nut.  

We are again wasting a good-great D on an offense that does no one any favors. I feel like Naggy has tried running the ball more this season, but at some point you have realize you need more than 1 run play in your play book.  Our line is hot garbage running it straight into the teeth over and over is pointless.  For every run that you gain positive there's ten that get stuffed at the line or for a loss.  The gadget plays are only successful if your overall offense is successful and they are used sparingly as a change of pace play.  Relying on them when nothing else works plays right into your opponents hands.  Hello Naggy the only one your fooling is yourself.  This crap may work in madden but it won't work in the real world.  Defenses (even average ones) are too quick and too smart and will sniff that out.  

It's going to be a long frustrating season, unless in the unlikely event that Naggy actually admits fault and hands over play calling.  Even then not sure Lazer would be much better but he might run a more normal offense.  This has been the worst offense we've seen in a long time.  Hell even Shoop's offense was more productive... now I must wash my keyboard with soap for saying that.  Mad hit it on the head, "Everything we do, looks so difficult". couldn't say it better.  We can have a few good play and follow it with a series of brain farts and bad plays drive after drive.  That Monday night game was horrible, the offense scored 3 points the entire game and it felt exceedingly laborious to get that.   The Saints game we looked like a team trying not to score down 3 with 2 min to go and 2 timeouts. That was the most painful, pathetic FG drive to send a game to overtime that I've seen.  Then the D does it's job and forces a punt and the offense of course does nothing.  I've not seen a Bears offense struggle this mightily do do anything positive.  Some drives we might as well punt on first down rather than back ourselves up with sacks, TFL, penalties, etc.  

The game against the saints only reinforced what I knew going into this season.  After the draft and free agency I knew the bears would struggle on offence.  A good scheme can hide a bad offensive line.  This play calling exposes it.  To not address the offensive line is just horrible.  Drafting 7th round guys that can't make it out of camp doesn't qualify for addressing the line.  The commentator for the game on saturday made a truly damning comment.  With the one long run from montgomery the commentator said how shocked David must be to see so much grass in front of him and he hadn't seen so much grass all season.  

Last season they let some staff go.  With the same problems persisting the question is scheme or personel.  If it is scheme, Nagy has to go.  If it is personel, Pace has to go.

2 hours ago, fudgeripple2000 said:

The game against the saints only reinforced what I knew going into this season.  After the draft and free agency I knew the bears would struggle on offence.  A good scheme can hide a bad offensive line.  This play calling exposes it.  To not address the offensive line is just horrible.  Drafting 7th round guys that can't make it out of camp doesn't qualify for addressing the line.  The commentator for the game on saturday made a truly damning comment.  With the one long run from montgomery the commentator said how shocked David must be to see so much grass in front of him and he hadn't seen so much grass all season.  

Last season they let some staff go.  With the same problems persisting the question is scheme or personel.  If it is scheme, Nagy has to go.  If it is personel, Pace has to go.

I dunno, I mean Leno was a 7th rounder, and hes been... oh... yeah... I see your point :)

And to make matters worse, Ifedi and Spriggs are now on the COVID list.  Massie (and Daniels) are on IR.  Whitehair is out and it’s looks as though  Mustipher may miss this weekend.  But hey...Leno and Coward are still good to go.  OY VEY!!!

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2020/11/03/another-injured-offensive-lineman-center-sam-mustipher-might-miss-sundays-game-too/

It was around this time last year that I said, fire Nagy, and give another coach a chance to see if Trubisky can play, and/or Pagano can be head coach.

I said that if we did that, we'd know going into the offseason whether we needed to draft a QB with our first pick. I said if we didnt do this, we'd end up a year behind, and have one year less of the defensive window.

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

It was around this time last year that I said, fire Nagy, and give another coach a chance to see if Trubisky can play, and/or Pagano can be head coach.

I said that if we did that, we'd know going into the offseason whether we needed to draft a QB with our first pick. I said if we didnt do this, we'd end up a year behind, and have one year less of the defensive window.

This^^. It’s not too late...other than Trubisky being injured.  They’re still 5-4 with an ‘easier’ schedule ahead.  

13 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This^^. It’s not too late...other than Trubisky being injured.  They’re still 5-4 with an ‘easier’ schedule ahead.  

yeah, but Im saying we could have known coming into the offseason, that we needed to draft a QB, so we are at least one year behind now as a result.

Nagy did again. Down 3 scores and we burn 2 minutes off the clock on 3 plays, then lose because we don't have enough time left after our 2nd TD to do a normal kickoff. Two weeks in a row, the same clock management. He really needs to let someone else call a game to see if it is better.

24 minutes ago, adam said:

Nagy did again. Down 3 scores and we burn 2 minutes off the clock on 3 plays, then lose because we don't have enough time left after our 2nd TD to do a normal kickoff. Two weeks in a row, the same clock management. He really needs to let someone else call a game to see if it is better.

so someone else needs to call the plays. someone else needs to do the clock management. someone else needs to instill discipline so we dont have as many penalties, and people know their assignments.

So what does this guy DO that's helpful?

Fire Nagy.

Found an interesting article that puts an interesting spin on how the Bears and specifically Nagy are doing.  Some highlights:  Nagy's overall record is 25-16.  Compare that to other coaches hired at the same time; Mike Vrabel (24-16), Frank Reich (23-17), Jon Gruden (16-25) and Matt Patricia (12-27-1) he's ahead of them all at this point. His age puts him as the 9th youngest coach in the league.  With that he hasn't had a lot of time to gain that in game experience which is shown with his game management.  Lastly, he works with what he's been given.  Many here will point out that Pace hasn't really done a great job in managing the Bears picks.  A few years ago he got cute by drafting a bunch of D2 players that haven't all worked out.  He divested the future in trading up for players like Trubisky and Mack by losing draft picks that could have helped contribute to the lack of depth we currently find the team in. 

All in all, I think more of the blame is on Pace than  Nagy at this point.  But if you get rid of Pace do you keep Nagy?  

https://beargoggleson.com/2020/11/09/3-reasons-matt-nagy-hot-seat/amp/1/