Bears - Saints Wild Card Round Game Thread - Nickelodeon

adam

I don't think I have ever been this unexcited about Bears playoff football. This is a 5-win team that fell out of a dumpster fire to make the playoffs. I would be shocked if the Bears look any different than they did against the Packers.

Saints 31-13

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, adam said:

I don't think I have ever been this unexcited about Bears playoff football. This is a 5-win team that fell out of a dumpster fire to make the playoffs. I would be shocked if the Bears look any different than they did against the Packers.

Saints 31-13

100% and Ive been loving the game thread titles BTW - perfect

Sadly I’d have to agree. Nagy’s failure on offense got the team in the toilet and yet he’s supposed to get credit for keeping the locker room? Does an arsonist get a pass because he called the fire department on the way out? I don’t think it will take much for an opponent to game plan for us and that is on Pace as much as it is Nagy. I went into yesterday’s game trying to be hopeful as I did not expect the Rams game to turn out like it did. Whatever our offense is supposed to be it’s not congruous with this defense. I’m leery that getting into the playoffs only because the field was expanded will cloud any evaluation George makes; he’s weak minded that way.

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

Time to unleash the Kraken, Nick Foles.  So he can do down in NFL lore for generations with another SB run.

We went to OT against New Orleans where Foles actually played pretty good. Trubisky did not make a single throw beyond what a High School QB couldn't make. He has zero value added at this point. Trubisky's play is totally correlated to the defense he plays against. That is not a good QB, the last few weeks showed that again.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

100% and Ive been loving the game thread titles BTW - perfect

Thanks, it has been a comedy of errors this year which I tried to convey in the game threads. This game deserves to be on Nickelodeon for how comical the Bears are playing. Comedy Central would've been perfect, but getting slimed on Nickelodeon is a close second.

Just like the packer game with them playing for top seed, the Saints get Kamara back because the game is Sunday and not Saturday. The Saints also are out to prove that their home playoff lost to the Vikings in the first round was a blip, so they will be trying to dominate the Bears.

1 hour ago, 50england50 said:

Buster Skrine still not practicing because of a concussion. Missed 4 games already is that a concern. Head injuries are a major worry. If a concussion lingers this long should the player call it a day and retire. 

Jaylon was limited so fingers crossed for Sunday 🤞  

I've had the same concerns.   Four weeks seem like a long time.  I hope he is OK not just for football but life.

Bears
DVOA 12/14
Offense DVOA 13/14
Defense DVOA 7/14

Saints
DVOA 1/14
Offense DVOA 7/14
Defense DVOA 2/14

So we are playing a team that is technically better/more efficient than GB, at their home, and they have done this in a season without their starting QB, #1 WR, and #1 RB, and all of them may be playing on Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if NO is resting their players by halftime for their real playoff matchup the following weekend.

Rewatching the GB game makes me sick. On every defensive play, there is something ridiculous going on, especially the pass plays. Defenders would peel off their receiver to stop and guard an empty part of the field while their guy runs wide open. Jackson is covering Adams and starts backpedaling before the snap until there is 15 yards of cushion. He was so far away that Fuller makes the tackle off of his guy. What the hell is this. On a Jones run on the first drive, Trevathan literally doesn't move until Jones is in the hole. It looked like a broken game controller. The entire line passes him by before he reacts and Roquan, who is actually on the other side of him gets to Jones before he does. So bizarre. If Trevathan is in his gap, Jones is stopped near the LOS. On that first drive, Shelley got a DPI on Adams which basically gifted them a TD since it was a 4th Down play. What I don't understand is why they wouldn't put Fuller on Adams (who is standing right next to Shelley) who was guarding Jones?

2 hours ago, adam said:

On every defensive play, there is something ridiculous going on, especially the pass plays.

I know Pagano is getting a lot of the blame for the defense inefficiency but Alex Brown  recently pointed out that the players on defense simply aren’t doing their jobs either.  Bahktiari being out should have made for a great statistical day for Mack or even Quinn if they were swapping places.  How about Hicks and his interior presence?  Where was he?  And the defensive backfield?  Three dropped INTs between Mingo, Vildor and Jackson.  Any one of those individually could have made a huge impact, let alone all three.  

I don’t care who you have in the backfield, QBs like Rogers and Brees are going to make them look bad. Rogers just has more experience in doing it over the years.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I know Pagano is getting a lot of the blame for the defense inefficiency but Alex Brown  recently pointed out that the players on defense simply aren’t doing their jobs either.  Bahktiari being out should have made for a great statistical day for Mack or even Quinn if they were swapping places.  How about Hicks and his interior presence?  Where was he?  And the defensive backfield?  Three dropped INTs between Mingo, Vildor and Jackson.  Any one of those individually could have made a huge impact, let alone all three.  

I don’t care who you have in the backfield, QBs like Rogers and Brees are going to make them look bad. Rogers just has more experience in doing it over the years.  

It feels like a bad scheme with players not knowing or doing their jobs. That equates to what we see on the field. They are not playing as a unit.

• adam featured this topic

A weird stat, the Saints are 12-4 and have only beaten one winning team (TB twice). The Bears are 8-8 and only beat one winning team (TB once). 

So these teams may be closer than we think. I still don't think the Bears have a chance without Roquan as Kamara will just run some bubble screens all day long for 15-20 yard gains.

The only chance the Bears have is if Thomas doesn't play and the Bears can hold Kamara to under 100 total yards. If he gets 150+ yards again, it's game over.

Looking forward to the game and the D rising to all of the negative comments. 

Hopefully we stop the run and play tighter coverage to stop the short passes. I think if Kamara plays and Roquan misses the game either a quick linebacker covers Kamara because Trevathan will be exposed or one of the back up safeties play as an hybrid linebacker. 

The play from the front four will be whether we stop the run. 

On offence we should feed Montgomery the play, use play action and if the secondary sits on our short routes see some double moves. 

Mitch to have a great day and the Bears winning 31-24. 

4 hours ago, 50england50 said:

Mitch to have a great day and the Bears winning 31-24. 

Although I’m not AS optimistic as you I’m cautiously optimistic.  These two teams met a few weeks back and the Bears lost in OT.  A few things are different; Thomas will probably be available, Roquan may not, they’re playing in NO and Trubiksy is starting instead of Foles.  Will all that make a difference?  

Bears 17

Saints 30

The Saints jump on top early, as Kamara is unguardable/unstoppable. Brees picks the zone apart and there is nearly no pressure from the Bears’ front four. Bears are forced to blitz and get torched as a result. One or two huge plays and momentum clearly rests with the Saints going into half. The second half continues with a virtual stalemate because the Saints are just running clock.  The Bears score late to make it look closer than it really was, but the Saints are high-giving on the sideline as it happens, because it doesn’t matter.

With Smith out, and still missing Goldman, we are open up the middle. I expect the Saints to run Kamara down our throats, and when we adjust, Brees will pick a 6 man coverage and over eager linebackers apart with play action.

Those zones get a lot bigger when people are staying up front to watch for the run.

The ONLY way we can win this game is if we make Brees try to beat us over the top by using multiple run blitzes, press coverage and no soft zone underneath.  All defenders up and tight.  Hit Brees early and often. If he hangs 40 on us, make him bleed while doing so.

Edit: breaking news.  Manti Teo is active today, so scrap my plan and hide your women!

Edited by Mongo3451

Well, like many here, this game doesn't look good.  However, who cares how we got here at this point.  It is what it is.  The players are who they are.  Coaches are who they are.  We are predicted to lose.  I hope we win.  Let's enjoy this what what it is.  A rare Bears playoff game.  Let's worry about the off-season after the SB.  Go Bears!

Kamara against Woods or Iggy? Good luck with that. Manti Te'o revenge game?

The only way we have a chance is with some defensive turnovers and a score on defense or special teams. We are going to need to outscore them with how bad our defense is playing. 

Someone needs to mirror Kamara everywhere, and when Hill is in the game, you know a run off tackle or on the edge is coming. Just fill the damn gap!

According to the link below, CB Jaylon Johnson is questionable as is LB Woods (glute /toe).  Maybe why Teo was brought up?  He might be what we need with speed LB coverage to replace Smith.

On the Saints side they have Kamara back from COVID protocol and WR Thomas activated from IR yesterday.  

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/injury-update-saints-playoffs-wild-card-roquan-smith-mooney-jaylon-johnson

Jaylon Johnson is inactive. I am shocked that none of our questionable players have made this game because it’s a potential one and done. 

McMahon was on painkillers all week with a bad back and came off the bench to beat the Vikings. 

Walter ran for over 200 yards with the flu. 

Are the players different now, are the team physicians too cautious or am I being to harsh. 

With our inactives it feels like a miracle will be needed to beat the Saints. 

The Saints look like having Thomas (high ankle sprain), Kamara (Covid) and Hill (concussion) all available. 

Come on you Bears let’s have a game for the ages tonight 🙏🙏🙏