Kicker Silver Lining

adam

I don't know about you, but I didn't expect this kind of season from our kicker. Santos broke all kinds of franchise records and ended the season making 27 straight kicks. His only misses were from 46 and 52, with one blocked XP. I really hope we can lock him up for a few years and not have to worry about kicking. 

Then our favorite ex-kicker Parkey is prepping to let down another entire fanbase in Cleveland in the playoffs.

I'd love to sign him but don't want to break the bank. I'm worried we give him a 3 to 4 year deal and he falls apart. 

I believe Eddie P is still under contract.  I wonder if we could get a 7th for him?  He really was fairly good last year. 

Peace

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

I'd love to sign him but don't want to break the bank. I'm worried we give him a 3 to 4 year deal and he falls apart. 

I believe Eddie P is still under contract.  I wonder if we could get a 7th for him?  He really was fairly good last year. 

Peace

Nope Eddie is not under contract, he is a RFA though. However, since he is not under contract, he can't be traded. 

What sucks is it will cost the Bears a couple of million to keep Santos. He was a top #5 kicker and those guys make $4M+. I am hoping they can sign him to a longer deal with more guaranteed money, but a lower hit in 2021. The only thing that scares me is the only one of the top 5 salary kickers is in the playoffs (Tucker).

I agree with not wanting to break the bank but find a longer term deal that works for him and for us.  While you don't like paying a lot for a kicker you also can't afford not to try to lock up a good one when you have them.  It's money well spent not having to worry if your kicker can make FG's at critical times that an NFL kicker should make.  Pinero can be good but he can't be depended on with his injury history.  Over the last several seasons since Gould left I've grown tired of holding my breath on any FG because I don't trust our kicker to make even the simplest of kicks.   That hasn't been an issue this year.  I feel like Santos deserves multi-year deal to keep him in Chicago.  I think we can find something that works for everyone.  

*edit*. Add to that finding a kicker who can handle the challenges of kicking in soldier field especially in the winter and adverse weather conditions is not an easy find.