Offseason decisions

fudgeripple2000

Meanwhile, CP is back to trying to lure players to Chicago.  Wouldn’t it be telling if somehow Chicago were to get Watson and then Trubisky were to somehow end up in a place like San Fran?  

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2021/01/14/cordarrelle-patterson-is-lobbying-deshaun-watson-to-chicago/?fbclid=IwAR0T6n4eWirVvlJhqW-jrYb9BhlEncjZ5WxZZuVn5GqCjFkqbAzY9GQWJKo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/15/2021 at 6:32 AM, Stinger226 said:

we would get a 3 rd comp pick if AROB leaves. Also there is a minority GM candidate that is suppose to get a GM job , if he leaves we get 2=3 rd comp picks also.

We would get a comp pick in 2022, and only if we didn't bring in anyone that gives a comp pick to another team. So it will depend on what Pace does in terms of free agent acquisitions, because it would suck to lose Arob AND a comp pick to bring in so lower level FA that gives another team a comp pick, negating ours.

The exec one is much better, because I believe those are immune to deletion.

Post-June 1 Cuts ($39.5M in potential savings)
Hicks $1.5M Dead Money, $10.5M Cap Savings 
Leno $2.3M Dead Money, $9M Cap Savings
Massie $1.3 Dead Money, $8M Cap Savings
Graham $3M Dead Money, $7M Cap Savings
Skrine $1.1M Dead Money, $5M Cap Savings

This has to happen. If they also restructure Mack and Fuller, they can have about $35M after the rookie pool to fill 15 roster spots. If you assume 8-9 of those will be near league minimum deals for vets or 1-yr deals, that leaves about $25M for 6 spots, assuming you need to fill starting spots at QB, WR, LT, RT, SS, DL. 

Of all the UFA's or potential cut candidates, the highest producing ones are ARob (WR), Hicks (DT), Patterson (WR), Gipson (S), and Santos (K). Now that doesn't count the few rotational guys that excelled (Urban, Edwards) but those are the losses that would hurt the most. Money-wise, it seems like ARob and Hicks are the most likely not to be back. It looks like they could bring Patterson, Gipson and Santos back on some reasonable deals. 

Guys like Trubisky, Leno, Massie, Graham, Skrine, Coward, Harris all had prominent roles and underachieved. So their losses may actually help the team. 

QB, WR, OT, and S has to be the early targets in the draft. Grab a punter with one of the 6th round comp picks (or trade into the 7th with a comp and grab one there).

Draft Update:

Rookie Pool - Est $5M

From what I am tracking, the Bears have 5 original picks and 3 comp picks for a total of 8 draft picks:

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, (Comp picks: 6th, 6th, 6th)

no 4th rounder - Trevis Gipson
no 7th rounder - Eddie Pinero

So no 4th, but 4x 6th rounders. I can see Pace wheeling and dealing with the house's money and those extra 6th rounders. 

I would think the nfl will announce some type of leanancy to keep the league from a massive dump of contracts. It may be wishful thinking, but the majority are going to be in trouble.  The Bears next season will be a mess anyways, so maybe it can be a blessing to push the reset button. I hate the thought of losing Hicks and opening a huge hole, maybe the glue of the D. 

With the gang coming back, I think they will find a way to franchise AROB, draft a QB, and keep Foles and probably Bray. I hope I am wrong.

If their guy is there, it will be QB at 20. Lance or Jones? I personally like Wilson, and maybe Jones. There is a deep OT position so probably find one in the second. I want Leno gone but he played better when they did the emergency  OL lineup. I hate to say this, but they may bring him back if its not OT in the first on a ready to play prospect. They are going to try to get a winning season and make the playoffs to save their jobs.

On 1/16/2021 at 10:26 PM, Mongo3451 said:

Stockpiling worthless picks sounds like a Pace victory...🙄

Actually those have some valuable. Maybe not in and of themselves, but coupled with the other picks, they can move up in another round. They could take one of the comp picks and move up into the early 5th with their original 5th, and then take another comp and trade it with the current 6th to move into the late 5th. So there is some value there. Not a lot but some. Then you can use the last one on a punter, so you are not using original picks on special teamers. 

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I read where if AROB hits free agency, as long as we dont bring in a high priced FA that the 3rd comp pick comes this year and not next. Anyone know if that's true.

It would not be until 2022 because they take into account performance incentives that may kick in during the season. That is how we lost a 6th rounder because of incentives made another player's compensation more than Daniel's in Detroit.

2 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

One good thing is that a lot of teams will have to release players for cap reasons, so there will be reasonably priced free agents for one year deals

Most of the cap heads are predicting the wildest free agency period ever. It should be fun and interesting. It is almost open season.

On 1/18/2021 at 8:00 AM, adam said:

Actually those have some valuable. Maybe not in and of themselves, but coupled with the other picks, they can move up in another round. They could take one of the comp picks and move up into the early 5th with their original 5th, and then take another comp and trade it with the current 6th to move into the late 5th. So there is some value there. Not a lot but some. Then you can use the last one on a punter, so you are not using original picks on special teamers. 

Honestly, I think teams should pile all the 7th and 6th rounders together that they can, maybe even with the 5th rounders, to move into the 4th or higher. Most of the 5th-7th guys are a long shot at best, and similar talent can often be found via FA and/or undrafted players.

2 hours ago, jason said:

Honestly, I think teams should pile all the 7th and 6th rounders together that they can, maybe even with the 5th rounders, to move into the 4th or higher. Most of the 5th-7th guys are a long shot at best, and similar talent can often be found via FA and/or undrafted players.

Im old and getting senile.  Help me understand your logic.  Pile picks that mostly get talent that can just as well be gotten after the draft as undrafted free agents.  Why would a team give up a 5th or 4th for a few  6th+7th rounds picks, that you say,r a long shot at best?  Not saying it has never or will ever not be done.  But I don't see why one would.

20 hours ago, Bill said:

Im old and getting senile.  Help me understand your logic.  Pile picks that mostly get talent that can just as well be gotten after the draft as undrafted free agents.  Why would a team give up a 5th or 4th for a few  6th+7th rounds picks, that you say,r a long shot at best?  Not saying it has never or will ever not be done.  But I don't see why one would.

I think you reverse translated me. I'm saying take the 5th-7th round picks and attempt to trade them to another team. Dumping those picks to get one more 3rd or 4th round pick for the Bears would be ideal.

3 hours ago, adam said:

My reply:

The Bucs are 56-88 since 2012, before this season had one winning season (9-7) and zero playoff appearances. Arians is the 4th HC in that time.

Is that supposed to make me feel better about the Bears in that same span of time?  Arians has been 58-33 (including his interim HC time in Indy and Arizona) and had three playoff appearances.  And we know how the Mahomes vs. Trubkisky rages on.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Is that supposed to make me feel better about the Bears in that same span of time?  Arians has been 58-33 (including his interim HC time in Indy and Arizona) and had three playoff appearances.  And we know how the Mahomes vs. Trubkisky rages on.  

Well, it shows that even over that period, all it takes is one year. Up until this year and even up until the playoffs, Licht had achieved nothing but signing Brady. I am actually surprised he lasted this long. He got to hire 4 coaches. Pace has hired 2. Arians has been on two teams in that period. Who knows if he would still be the coach in Chicago. 

So Mark's tweet didn't really say anything other than Licht has been with the team since the Bears hired Emery and Arians was hired instead of Trestman (which was a mistake). 

It wasn't like Licht was some wizard. Once they got Brady, a bunch of players signed for cheap deals to play there. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

Well, it shows that even over that period, all it takes is one year. Up until this year and even up until the playoffs, Licht had achieved nothing but signing Brady. I am actually surprised he lasted this long. He got to hire 4 coaches. Pace has hired 2. Arians has been on two teams in that period. Who knows if he would still be the coach in Chicago. 

So Mark's tweet didn't really say anything other than Licht has been with the team since the Bears hired Emery and Arians was hired instead of Trestman (which was a mistake). 

It wasn't like Licht was some wizard. Once they got Brady, a bunch of players signed for cheap deals to play there. 

If anything the Licht thing tells you maybe you should be patient with your GM - or it downplays the importance of a GM and more the element of luck or whatever you want to call it tied to finding a QB.  But IIRC - Licht was on the hot seat at least a few times during his tenure - which by and large would be considered a complete miss (if you look purely at W/L record). And it included taking a kicker who literally sucked in like the 2nd round.