Offseason decisions

fudgeripple2000

Unrestricted free agents:

A-rob            Roy Robertson Harris        McCullers                         Cairo Santos

Mitch                   Barkevious mingo         Dwayne Harris             Mario Edward

Cordarrelle         Sherrick Mcmanis        Ifedi                                  Jason Sprigs

Deon Bush          Tashaun Gipson         Scales                             Rashaad Coward

Pat ODonnel           John Jenkins           Urban

Demetrius Harris       Artie Burns           Deandre Carson

**IF ALL ARE CUT WE GAIN ROUGHLY 50 MILLION IN CAP SPACE

Restricted:

Pineuri  675K

Deandre Carter (KR)  308K

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:   

JP Holts

James Vaughters

Josh Woods

Alex Bars

Michael Joseph

Ryan Nall

** Total Salary 3.7 Million

Cut Options

Jimmy Graham    6.9 (salary)   3 (dead $)

Bobby Massie      7.9 (salary)   2.6 (dead)

Buster Skriine      4.1 (salary)   3.3 (dead)

Anthony Miller   966 K (salary)  986 (dead)

Charles Leno    8.9 (salary)   5.08 (dead)

Javon Wims  920k (salary)   23K (dead)

** If I have the math right (Wyoming resident so I could be off), if we cut all we trim 30.48million in salary and take on 15.1 in dead money with a net savings of 15.38 million

there are some emotional cuts that I would make.  However, this is a business.  As much as I would like to cut idiots like Wims and Miller. Their money is too team friendly to cut.  Others like Coward are easy cuts to make.

Biggest silver lining to this season is we have found a dependable kicker.

Who would you cut, who would you resign?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller provides nothing to this team. He averages 3 receptions for 33 yards a game for his career. Wims has 28 receptions in his career. There is no point keeping guys that are worthless and clearly have discipline issues. 

I think you have to cut as many non-performing guys as possible. Graham, Skrine, Leno, Massie, Miller, Wims are easy. Hicks will probably be gone too. You try to trade Fuller and/or Jackson and even Mack at this point. 

I would bring back the following:

Santos, Mingo, Edwards, Patterson, McManis, Ifedi, Bush, Scales, Jenkins, Urban, and DHC

Bars, Holtz, Vaughters, Woods

7 hours ago, adam said:

Miller provides nothing to this team. He averages 3 receptions for 33 yards a game for his career. Wims has 28 receptions in his career. There is no point keeping guys that are worthless and clearly have discipline issues. 

I think you have to cut as many non-performing guys as possible. Graham, Skrine, Leno, Massie, Miller, Wims are easy. Hicks will probably be gone too. You try to trade Fuller and/or Jackson and even Mack at this point. 

I would bring back the following:

Santos, Mingo, Edwards, Patterson, McManis, Ifedi, Bush, Scales, Jenkins, Urban, and DHC

Bars, Holtz, Vaughters, Woods

This might be a bit of hyperbole, but Eddie Jackson might be the worst contract in the NFL right now. 

You cant cut free agents, they are no longer on the team. Plus they have no money applied to the cap so you save nothing. If you meant not resigning would save money? The problem is we only have 35 players signed to contracts in 2021.

We are over the cap by 1 mil as of right now, they have to cut some money just to sign anyone. Graham-Massie-Skine-Leno for sure. The biggest cap savings is Hicks at 10.5 mil with only 1.5 in dead money. That is very possible. Cutting the lame WRs probably wont happen with not resigning AROB.( no room for a 17mil WR in budget)

The FAs that should be back because you can get most on cheaper deals. McCullers-Mingo-Santos-Edwards-Bush-Scales-Jenkins-Urban-Gibson-Bars-Woods-Holtz-Vaughters.

Chances of trading bigger contracts for anything valuable is slim. Jackson played poor, Mack is not living up to his contract, Quinn-bad signing, Fuller maybe you can get something. 

The problem with the cap being reduced by 20mil due to the Wuhan virus, very few teams in good cap space and they all will be cutting players that will flood the market.

3 hours ago, McGowan said:

This might be a bit of hyperbole, but Eddie Jackson might be the worst contract in the NFL right now. 

Robert Quinn would like to have a word with you. :)

Quinn and Jackson's deals are definitely two of the worst, which should be an indictment on Pace's performance as a Nickelodeon GM.

3 hours ago, adam said:

Robert Quinn would like to have a word with you. :)

Quinn and Jackson's deals are definitely two of the worst, which should be an indictment on Pace's performance as a Nickelodeon GM.

I would say the vast majority of Bears fans were happy with Eddie Jackson being extended. He had a bad year and needs to rebound but you cannot say the signing was not praised and that most, if not all, NFL executives would have done the same thing. 

I do agree on the Quinn signing. 

Peace

36 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

I would say the vast majority of Bears fans were happy with Eddie Jackson being extended. He had a bad year and needs to rebound but you cannot say the signing was not praised and that most, if not all, NFL executives would have done the same thing. 

I do agree on the Quinn signing. 

Peace

Jackson has not been the same player since his injury in 2018. He is a completely different player. From a casual observer perspective, it looks like he is playing to not get hurt. He avoids contact and won't join in on tackles, he just watches others. If you can see any game replays, just watch him the entire game. Its actually shocking that they didn't bench him for Bush or DHC, he is playing that bad. The contract was given to the guy had 8 INT and 21 Passes Defended in 30 games. Not the guy with 2 INTs and 10 PDs in his last 31 games. He is the 2nd highest paid safety and is rated somewhere in the 50's. 

20 minutes ago, adam said:

Jackson has not been the same player since his injury in 2018. He is a completely different player. From a casual observer perspective, it looks like he is playing to not get hurt. He avoids contact and won't join in on tackles, he just watches others. If you can see any game replays, just watch him the entire game. Its actually shocking that they didn't bench him for Bush or DHC, he is playing that bad. The contract was given to the guy had 8 INT and 21 Passes Defended in 30 games. Not the guy with 2 INTs and 10 PDs in his last 31 games. He is the 2nd highest paid safety and is rated somewhere in the 50's. 

He definitely has not been a willing tackler and I can't stand to see him line up 15 yards of the line.

Jackson’s play vaguely resembles to me how Fuller was right after he signed his first big contract.  He seemed to be taking plays off and was a lost cause. Right about the time (or just before) the Packers came sniffing round was when his play went up ten-fold.  Could Jackson be the same way?  Is there still hope?  We know his potential.  

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

He definitely has not been a willing tackler and I can't stand to see him line up 15 yards of the line.

That is not and has never been Jackson's game. His game has always been to play center field/coverage. If he's not getting INTs, he's not a different planet than his pay grade. 

Meanwhile it is approaching 1:30pm CST and Pace still is employed........

3 hours ago, adam said:

He is no Doug Plank for sure.  However in todays NFL he would off gotten a flag on almost half of his flying pile ups.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Also a lot of People would also say he was just show boating and late to the party;.

Id agree.  Seems he’s more interested in that these days then in actual production.

On the other hand, Tashaun Gipson was playing really well in the last game.  Sorta like a SS should.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Id agree.  Seems he’s more interested in that these days then in actual production.

On the other hand, Tashaun Gipson was playing really well in the last game.  Sorta like a SS should.  

yeah we do have some younger players we can build on. Roquan Smith, Jaylon Johnson, Tashaun Gipson, David Montgomery, Darnell Mooney, Cole Kmet, some of the interior OL, and some rotational players on the D line too.

But we have no QB, no pass protection and we no pass rush - and THAT is football. And we haven no money. Fire Pace?

10 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

But we have no QB, no pass protection and we no pass rush - and THAT is football. And we haven no money. Fire Pace?

Can I get an amen or should it be an awomen? You nailed it here.

In terms of organizational resources, we dumped a ton into QB (#2 draft pick w/ all those other picks in the stupid trade up, Foles trade, Foles salary, Glennon's salary) and Edge (Draft picks lost in Mack trade + Mack's ridiculous salary + Quinn's ridiculous contract) instead of addressing OT this offseason. Quinn's contract alone could've landed at least one above average OT, yet we rolled with Charles Freaking Leno and Bobbie Massie. 

Like I said in the other thread, if you picked BPA or used the TalkBears consensus draft picks and free agent acquisitions each year that Pace was GM, the Bears would've made the playoffs the last 3-4 years and probably played in or won a SB. The first mistake we would've done differently was drafting Watson at #3 (instead of Turdbiscuit at #2). That right there adds 2-3 wins per year since 2017. If you don't sign Quinn but add Jack Conklin, OT (signed 3/42) or Bryan Bulaga, OT (signed 3/30), the team is much better this year, maybe even by a game or two. The Bears could've drafted Claypool over Kmet (just like we said to) who would've replaced Burton as the "Adjustor". Look at what Claypool did in Pittsburgh. Could you imagine ARob, Claypool, and Mooney in 3WR sets. Good luck. Those are just the simple and obvious ones. How about not trading up for Miller? How about drafting ANYBODY other than Adam Shaheen in the 2nd round? 

The GMs job was a lot harder without all this technology and analytics nowadays. You almost have to be an idiot to fail at this job. Ryan Pace's ego and "smartest guy in the room" mentality is what put the Bears in this position. The team he left is in better position to compete for a Super Bowl than the team is has ran for the last 6 years. The Saints are 49-15 in the last 4 years while the Bears are 33-31. 

LOL. Since Pace and Nagy are coming back, this should be easy: First, they'll re-sign Trubisky, and probably overpay for him

Draft
1st. TRADE UP! Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State.
6th. Deontay Anderson, S, Houston (bEcAuSe He'S tAlL)
7th. Drew Himmelman, OT, Illinois State (BeCaUsE hE's TaLl)

And there you have it. They got a QB; they keep Trubisky around as a mentor :lol:; they "invested" in the OL

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

So you traded the 1 , 2, 3 5 to trade up to get Lance?, seems like a bit much to trade 10 spots, about where he will go. He is being the 4th QB off the board, not sure where he falls but I think he would best fit our scheme. I also like Wilson.

I think Jason is predicting what Pace will do now that we know he is back. He forgot the small shifty WR, because we need more undersized RB/WRs. 

16 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

So you traded the 1 , 2, 3 5 to trade up to get Lance?, seems like a bit much to trade 10 spots, about where he will go. He is being the 4th QB off the board, not sure where he falls but I think he would best fit our scheme. I also like Wilson.

Bro, that was 1000% sarcasm. I'd Epstein myself if the Bears did that in the draft.

12 hours ago, adam said:

I think Jason is predicting what Pace will do now that we know he is back. He forgot the small shifty WR, because we need more undersized RB/WRs. 

LMAO. You're right. I forgot about that, but, then again, I didn't put much thought into it...like Pace.

Totally against my opinion but the clan is coming back with no Pagano. I do understand why they made that decision but wish they were more honest about. Mediocrity is not acceptable to any sports team especially this one. They lost money or at least profit in the covid year of football and likely with continue in 2021. Paying salaries for everyone and then again for bringing new people is not a sound financial decision. They try to look at the good points, and lie to themselves about the bad points. One winning and two 8-8 seasons is better than the recent past. The problem is in those 8-8 seasons, there is not enough things to look for a better future but plenty to see a coming losing season. To much money was thrown at QB and still have no one to grow with so either a 1st pick or a run at a VET that may not be any good is our best options. Cap problems although I did read today, they may change the cap situation of dropping 20 mil and leave it the same. That would would give us AROB back on the franchise tag. The question can we afford to pay a #1 WR money when we have to rebuild the Oline and get a QB. It would seem to be a waste of capital going forward. 

We have to many high paying contracts with players not playing up to their contacts, so we cant cut them or trade them. We have a few to cut to get cap space but the big one would be Hicks 10.5 in cap saving , but that would hurt big time. 

I would want us in the draft to double down on OL in our first two picks but it AROB isnt coming back , I think they might go WR and QB in the first two rounds and ignore the OT position again. You may find a RT in the third but will be risky. Hard to figure out how they make this team better with the lack of money and more high draft picks.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Totally against my opinion but the clan is coming back with no Pagano. I do understand why they made that decision but wish they were more honest about. Mediocrity is not acceptable to any sports team especially this one. They lost money or at least profit in the covid year of football and likely with continue in 2021. Paying salaries for everyone and then again for bringing new people is not a sound financial decision. They try to look at the good points, and lie to themselves about the bad points. One winning and two 8-8 seasons is better than the recent past. The problem is in those 8-8 seasons, there is not enough things to look for a better future but plenty to see a coming losing season. To much money was thrown at QB and still have no one to grow with so either a 1st pick or a run at a VET that may not be any good is our best options. Cap problems although I did read today, they may change the cap situation of dropping 20 mil and leave it the same. That would would give us AROB back on the franchise tag. The question can we afford to pay a #1 WR money when we have to rebuild the Oline and get a QB. It would seem to be a waste of capital going forward. 

We have to many high paying contracts with players not playing up to their contacts, so we cant cut them or trade them. We have a few to cut to get cap space but the big one would be Hicks 10.5 in cap saving , but that would hurt big time. 

I would want us in the draft to double down on OL in our first two picks but it AROB isnt coming back , I think they might go WR and QB in the first two rounds and ignore the OT position again. You may find a RT in the third but will be risky. Hard to figure out how they make this team better with the lack of money and more high draft picks.

You franchise and trade Robinson. That's just what they have to do. 

32 minutes ago, McGowan said:

You franchise and trade Robinson. That's just what they have to do. 

Im not sure of the rules, but at some point you have to have the cap space to afford to franchise him before you trade him. And there is always the possibility that we get stuck with his contract which would sink us. And the other teams know this too, which reduces his trade value. We might just have to let him go. What would the draft compensation for that be?