DC - who will it be? Who do you want?

ParkerBear7

Rodgers has seen a bunch of players excel under his tutelage, so it would make sense that he gets a hard look. Hicks, Goldman, Nichols, RRH, Nick Williams, Urban, etc. In a way, that unit has been a strength for the defense. 

At this point, as long as he can mix it up, mask coverages and blitzes, stop making Trevathan cover WRs, stop DBs from playing 15 yards off with 7 yards to go, and only bring Quinn in on 3rd and long, the defense is a top 10 unit again.

The article I posted the other day listed as many as 15 possibilities.  One thing they made light of was that whomever is considered for the position will need do think about the very possibility of Nagy and Pace being canned next year.  That will probably scare off any outsiders and those that may want to put a stamp on their potential long term impact.  

Rodgers makes the most sense since it would be a promotion from within the organization and he’s survived two HCs in Chicago after working with Fangio for some time.  The fact he may have some Fangio like qualities is certainly an appealing one. 

I'm going Wade Phillips.  It's not a sexy hire, but neither is Fangio.  He has improved every single defense he has ever coached in the very first year.  He also adapts every defense he has coached to the talent he was given.  He's 73 and knows he's on a last hoorah.  I'll take him in a lame duck year over anyone not named Vic.

I think someone from the outside coming in will be reluctant with the prospects of having a new GM and new HC in one year so they will promote from within. Jay Rodgers is most talented to be promoted. The best prospect would be James Bettcher. He presses with his corners and has exotic blitz packages. Both scheme that would best suit this talent on D.

15 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm going Wade Phillips.  It's not a sexy hire, but neither is Fangio.  He has improved every single defense he has ever coached in the very first year.  He also adapts every defense he has coached to the talent he was given.  He's 73 and knows he's on a last hoorah.  I'll take him in a lame duck year over anyone not named Vic.

I love, love love Wade Phillips. There was a stretch of a half a dozen years or so where I thought he was the best DC in the NFL. But the fact that he will be 74 when the season starts gives me pause. How do you put in coach’s hours at that age?There’s probably a reason the Rams let him go last year...

Tom S. 

52 minutes ago, tshanno said:

I love, love love Wade Phillips. There was a stretch of a half a dozen years or so where I thought he was the best DC in the NFL. But the fact that he will be 74 when the season starts gives me pause. How do you put in coach’s hours at that age?There’s probably a reason the Rams let him go last year...

Tom S. 

i really like wade phillips. i have called for him to come to chicago forever. as a head coach, no. but he has been one of the premier DC's in the nfl for decades. the bears could have and should have hired him a long, long time ago, certainly before he went to texas. but being the bears they never dreamed of it.

the age is a consideration but seeing as how we are in another gm/coaching limbo yet again it might be a good hire still for the short term to right this sinking ship.

2 hours ago, tshanno said:

Tom S. 

I think for a year or two he would have the drive.

2 hours ago, tshanno said:

Tom S. 

Hey im his age and just because I'm in bed by eight doesn't mean he is.  But after reading and listening to multiple sources I'd be OK with him.  But there is such doubt about this team not sure who would want the job.

Here's an interesting name. Kris Richard. He helped build the legion of doom in Seattle.

One thing I REALLY REALLY like about Pete Carroll's system, is that there are specific approved types of tackles. If you get your guy down but you DON'T wrap him up in one of the approved ways that's a FAIL on video in his system.

In other words, he might be the cure for our inability to tackle, and the medicine Jackson sorely needs too.

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/kris-richard-candidate-for-defensive-coordinator/?fbclid=IwAR2KgMWpm6Z3E8xzDzuuF38i0pwbfxSvO4Zd1EOBGISrgintKyniUt0cCn4

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Here's an interesting name. Kris Richard. He helped build the legion of doom in Seattle.

One thing I REALLY REALLY like about Pete Carroll's system, is that there are specific approved types of tackles. If you get your guy down but you DON'T wrap him up in one of the approved ways that's a FAIL on video in his system.

In other words, he might be the cure for our inability to tackle, and the medicine Jackson sorely needs too.

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/kris-richard-candidate-for-defensive-coordinator/?fbclid=IwAR2KgMWpm6Z3E8xzDzuuF38i0pwbfxSvO4Zd1EOBGISrgintKyniUt0cCn4

That is an interesting thought. Proper talking technique hasn't been a theme here.  No matter how much talent you have if you don't do the fundamentals it won't matter.  If a guy like Kris can come in and teach our guys good fundamental habits that could payoff down the road beyond next year should a house cleaning happen.  It will be tough to convince an outside guy to come in when nothing's guaranteed beyond 2021.  I would be good with Rodgers.  Wade Phillips would be a good hire too and with our situation I don't see his age being an issue. One way of looking at it is expectations for next year are low anyway so there's some freedom to get creative and try to find someone who can get the most out of who we have on the roster when next season starts.