2021 NFL Draft thoughts

ASHKUM BEAR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

You called that one.  I looked up and seen the C, was like here we go again.  Pace will go out like a boom.

Fields will be Paces deciding factor. Maybe this works and he nailed it. I'm going on record to like the pick. Now, what's next?  I want OLT and WR

19 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

Fields will be Paces deciding factor. Maybe this works and he nailed it. I'm going on record to like the pick. Now, what's next?  I want OLT and WR

As long as we draft a couple of DB's, I want all offense from here on out.  Make the big money vets on defense earn their keep...

So Pace makes another deal to move up and get a first round rated OT who potential can play LT and got an early 5th rounder in return! Pace is having a great draft!  Can anyone explain why so many draft sites have the Bears needing an OG?  I think S, LB or Edge would be more of a need!

chi.png&h=80&scale=crop&w=80&location=orCHI

2020 Record: 8-8, 2nd in NFC North

Needs:  QBOT, *OG, WR, CB

RD (PK)         PLAYER                     SCHOOL                    POS

1 (11)             Justin Fields             Ohio State                QB

2 (7)               Teven Jenkins          Oklahoma State      OT

5 (7)

6 (24)

6 (37)

6 (44)

12 minutes ago, ParkerBear7 said:
 So Pace makes another deal to move up and get a first round rated OT who potential can play LT and got an early 5th rounder in return! Pace is having a great draft!  Can anyone explain why so many draft sites have the Bears needing an OG?  I think S, LB or Edge would be more of a need!

chi.png&h=80&scale=crop&w=80&location=orCHI

2020 Record: 8-8, 2nd in NFC North

Needs:  QBOT, *OG, WR, CB

RD (PK)         PLAYER                     SCHOOL                    POS

1 (11)             Justin Fields             Ohio State                QB

2 (7)               Teven Jenkins          Oklahoma State      OT

5 (7)

6 (24)

6 (37)

6 (44)

They don't have a clue on what's going on with the bears.  They look at the roster and see a UDFA is starting at OC and figure it's a need. Is Mustipher better than average? We don't know but Kreutz and Tom Thayer likes him so I'm going with their opinions. 

We have like 10 CBs on the roster.  I think the law of averages,  one of them will step up and play well with Johnson.  I think Shelly or Vidor has the NB spot filled. Tre Robinson had high hopes until an injury took him out of last year. If healthy trufant can play well. The defense will be just fine,  bring in offensive players. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

They don't have a clue on what's going on with the bears.  They look at the roster and see a UDFA is starting at OC and figure it's a need. Is Mustipher better than average? We don't know but Kreutz and Tom Thayer likes him so I'm going with their opinions. 

Agree. We just need OTS, especially LT. Jason, where are you? IMdO, we have the interior, but tackles are our weakness. Get this solved and Dalton/Fields are going to be fine.

We need to keep in mind 2 oline players last year were UDFAs.  If the draft gets away from us, we still can find players.  Barr and Mustipher are nice oline pieces. Also in assessing the Jenkins pick, he brings an attitude of kreutz and Long of which this oline is missing.  If we have to gain a yard,  I know who they will be running over. He will solidify our oline for yrs to come.  No more guessing at RT going forward. 

6 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We need to keep in mind 2 oline players last year were UDFAs.  If the draft gets away from us, we still can find players.  Barr and Mustipher are nice oline pieces. Also in assessing the Jenkins pick, he brings an attitude of kreutz and Long of which this oline is missing.  If we have to gain a yard,  I know who they will be running over. He will solidify our oline for yrs to come.  No more guessing at RT going forward. 

right on

Let's not forget that last year the Bears drafted some developmental OL in the 7th round.  Lachavious "Pig" Simmons and Arlington Hambright have very cool names for O-lineman. Hopefully they will be able to contribute sooner than later.  

2 hours ago, ChileBear said:

Agree. We just need OTS, especially LT. Jason, where are you? IMdO, we have the interior, but tackles are our weakness. Get this solved and Dalton/Fields are going to be fine.

I’m here. Just pondering. I like the Fields pick. Don’t love it though. Just not sold on any QB from OSU, and not sold on trading up, and not sold on it being the right course for the team.

I kinda love the Jenkins pick. Nasty mauler. But I’m under the belief the Bears need another OT AND an OG. Just because the team cobbled together a few decent weeks doesn’t mean those dudes are solid. The Bears absolute priority, no, their top five priorities right now, should be protecting Fields at all costs. It’s time to rip the “defense wins championships”-bandaid off and embrace the new NFL. If Fields is as good as billed, he can use average receivers and maker them good/great. Focus should still be OL.

I agree we need to add more pieces,  but don't think we need more IOL.  Whitehair and Daniels can play,  still some questions on Mustipher but Olin Kreutz is all in on him and he should know. IFEDI, Barr, and Wilkinson can play inside which gives us enough depth and upside to not have to worry about those positions right now.  Could we upgrade their,  yes, but we have other needs more pressing. Another OT absolutely.  

Fields is the second best QB in this draft and Jenkins is a day one starter with all pro potential.  I seen a study of RAS , a athletic rating for players,  where Jenkins scored 30th out of 1126 OTs taken since 1987. He is a special player.  Besides that,  he is a killer,  watch some tape on him. He has 2 negative plays out 1127 snaps last year. More than anything he will give our line some attitude.  I liked players like kreutz and Kyle Long that are physical and want to hurt you on the field.  He will upgrade the whole line with his attitude. Now if Pace can grab some WR talent and a CB prospect,  we will have a very successful draft.  The draft so far has given us 2 top 20 players,  that doesn't happen very often. 

A lot of people have heartburn over the amount of picks given up. Out of all of them, giving up the 3rd this year seemed a little excessive, but in reality, it wasn't that bad.

Fields was a consensus top 10 pick, some had him as high as #2. Most had Jenkins as a late first, and some even mocked him to the Bears at #20. So if you think about it that way and consider Jenkins a mid-20's pick, the Bears essentially paid a 2021 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and a 2022 4th to swap firsts for Fields, Jenkins and an early 5th.

To be fair, I valued Fields at #6 and Jenkins at #26. Using full value for the trade value chart, where team's normally discount next year's picks by one round, the trade is literally even. If you consider the next year pick discount the Bears are ahead by the equivalent to a mid-2nd round pick:

Bears get:
Pick #6 - 1600
Pick #26 - 700
Pick #151 - 29

Other teams:
Pick #20 - 850
Pick #52 - 380
Pick #84 - 170
Pick #164 - 24
Pick #204 - 8
2022 #20 - 850 (full value)
2022 #125 - 47 (full value)

If you take the discount into account, you can slide Fields to #9 and Jenkins back to #39 (his original) slot. Meaning the Bears paid 2 slots to get Jenkins a year early. Not bad either way.

I think we are all fine with these moves right now.  I do not think using this model of continuous trading up brings success.  If we get the QB right and it shows in wins, then we can maybe see the reverse draft system of trading down for more capital.  It all starts with having a franchise QB .

I could care less about value just think losing more darts at the board isn't a good long range development plan. BUT I have no problem with landing 2 top 20 players with the lost draft capital.  I spent a lot of time looking at draft info  and Jenkins will be a stud. Reminds me of the Quinton Nelson pick,  a nasty attitude and aggressive approach. Also do not count him out at LT, he played 8 games there and was put at RT for the team's run game.  NY may get his wish,  if they cut Leno after June 1st,  that the exact amount of money we need for our cap balance. Boron has lost 35lbs and got into better shape before the draft which contributed to his low draft value.  He may be a big surprise  AND he brings nasty to the line. 

34 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I could care less about value just think losing more darts at the board isn't a good long range development plan. BUT I have no problem with landing 2 top 20 players with the lost draft capital.  I spent a lot of time looking at draft info  and Jenkins will be a stud. Reminds me of the Quinton Nelson pick,  a nasty attitude and aggressive approach. Also do not count him out at LT, he played 8 games there and was put at RT for the team's run game.  NY may get his wish,  if they cut Leno after June 1st,  that the exact amount of money we need for our cap balance. Boron has lost 35lbs and got into better shape before the draft which contributed to his low draft value.  He may be a big surprise  AND he brings nasty to the line. 

As long as they have competition for Leno, Im happy. Leno gets replaced when the new guy is better than he is. THat can happen a few ways, but we dont have to watch him destruct and stay with him.

23 hours ago, jason said:

I’m here. Just pondering. I like the Fields pick. Don’t love it though. Just not sold on any QB from OSU, and not sold on trading up, and not sold on it being the right course for the team.

I kinda love the Jenkins pick. Nasty mauler. But I’m under the belief the Bears need another OT AND an OG. Just because the team cobbled together a few decent weeks doesn’t mean those dudes are solid. The Bears absolute priority, no, their top five priorities right now, should be protecting Fields at all costs. It’s time to rip the “defense wins championships”-bandaid off and embrace the new NFL. If Fields is as good as billed, he can use average receivers and maker them good/great. Focus should still be OL.

Don’t forget they get James Daniels back. He is super young and was their best guard before going down. I feel pretty good with Daniels and Whitehair plus they have some depth and I do buy Mistipher. In fact - I think there are quite a few low draft/undeafted guys who have been good centers over past decade. 

Love the move to get Jenkins. He probably isn’t an lt - but he is nasty and I think has a chance to be a good one. 

Just love this draft - Fields has a ton of upside. One reporter talked to half of the leagues scouts and of the half talked two - half of them had Fields supposedly ahead of Lawrence. I heard he was #2 on most teams draft boards (QB) yet he was the 4th qb taken. 

This guy has played at the highest level, under pressure and always delivered. He is also an absolute STELLAR athlete. I believe he is now 3rd fastest qb in league and he is tall and has a big and accurate arm. 

We will see if he can speed up his decision making - but this dude is a stud athlete - way better than Mitch as a prospect, IMO. 

23 hours ago, jason said:

Seperate topic -if fisher looks healthy - bears could make some moves in June and sign him to be LT and swap out Leno. They will also have a ton of cap space if they want to pivot and add a lineman next year too. 

38 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Seperate topic -if fisher looks healthy - bears could make some moves in June and sign him to be LT and swap out Leno. They will also have a ton of cap space if they want to pivot and add a lineman next year too. 

If that were to happen, I’d have to go to the doctor for priapism. Like I said before, the first five priorities for this team should be OL to protect the prize asset.