Week 6 Official Game Thread - GB @ CHI , +4.5, O/U 45, SUN 10/17, 12PM CT - FOX

adam

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

they might be extending him? he's played well. And they might be making room for a trade?

Yeah there was a story linked to the Tweet.  I like getting the tweet for the responses.  The article was speculative on a few things, some of which you mentioned.  There was also talk of extending ARob or just saving cap for transfer to next year.  How that works I have no idea.  But with the timing i’d guess you’re right; either an extension for someone and/or trade.  Deadline is next month (?) 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

they might be extending him? he's played well. And they might be making room for a trade?

I don't think it's likely they are extending Quinn as that would have rolled up into his new deal.  More likely they realized Quinn's performance made them comfortable he should be staying around in 2022 and 2023.  Shuffling the money likely didn't affect cap space much in future years but will affect dead money and cap savings in those years if we were to cut him.   Putting it in post here so we can if the numbers change.  

https://overthecap.com/player/robert-quinn/1343/

2022 dead - $9.3mil,  savings $6.7mil

2023 dead - $6.2mil,  savings $10.9mil

They are making room for someone else's extension and the most likely target IMO is Roquan not ARob, and definitely not Hicks.  At this point ARob seems replaceable, Roquan is not.  Unless ARob suddenly realized his market value is crashing and he'd like to stay here with Fields on a team friendly deal.  Either way any money they can pull into this year on a new contract probably helps. 

2021 cap hit $6mil

2022 Smith is on the books for $9.7mil for the 5th year option.  

We have to expect this is the baseline deal for Roquan and Leonard's cap hit for 2021 is $8.2mil.  The Bears can now handle Roquan's cap hit increasing from $6mil to ~ $9mil.  

https://overthecap.com/player/darius-leonard/6921/

"Darius Leonard signed a five year, $98.25 million contract extension with $52.5 million in guarantees on August 9, 2021. $33 million is guaranteed at signing including a $20 million signing bonus."

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I don't think it's likely they are extending Quinn as that would have rolled up into his new deal.  More likely they realized Quinn's performance made them comfortable he should be staying around in 2022 and 2023.  Shuffling the money likely didn't affect cap space much in future years but will affect dead money and cap savings in those years if we were to cut him.   Putting it in post here so we can if the numbers change.  

https://overthecap.com/player/robert-quinn/1343/

2022 dead - $9.3mil,  savings $6.7mil

2023 dead - $6.2mil,  savings $10.9mil

They are making room for someone else's extension and the most likely target IMO is Roquan not ARob, and definitely not Hicks.  At this point ARob seems replaceable, Roquan is not.  Unless ARob suddenly realized his market value is crashing and he'd like to stay here with Fields on a team friendly deal.  Either way any money they can pull into this year on a new contract probably helps. 

2021 cap hit $6mil

2022 Smith is on the books for $9.7mil for the 5th year option.  

We have to expect this is the baseline deal for Roquan and Leonard's cap hit for 2021 is $8.2mil.  The Bears can now handle Roquan's cap hit increasing from $6mil to ~ $9mil.  

https://overthecap.com/player/darius-leonard/6921/

"Darius Leonard signed a five year, $98.25 million contract extension with $52.5 million in guarantees on August 9, 2021. $33 million is guaranteed at signing including a $20 million signing bonus."

I think youre right AZ, makes sense.

23 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not sure what to make of this. 

You don't clear cap space for nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if they added a CB, OT, or even a RB if they don't think Monty will be back as soon as originally expected. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

You don't clear cap space for nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if they added a CB, OT, or even a RB if they don't think Monty will be back as soon as originally expected. 

I had seen some other rumors to that effect after Monty got hurt.  The name Jordan Howard came up.  He’s on someone’s practice roster currently.  Herbert reminds me of him (and not just because of #24).  Jordan would be a cheap option and he’s durable. 

GB has owned Chicago.

Rodgers has owned Chicago.

It doesn't matter who they have at OL as long as they're allowed to Hold and protect Rodgers.

The Bears secondary will make one huge, bonehead mistake.

The Bears offense will remain neutered, with Fields flashing just enough for Nagy to beg to keep his job.

I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

Rodgers throws for 300+, while Fields does some dumbass RPO plays.

Bears 14 - Packers 30

Most your points are valid but not to the tune of 30-14. I see more of a 24-20 game. Close but coming up short. What will make a big difference is if we can get a couple of TOs that would keep it close. My optimistic me says we can win as I bet on the game. My realistic me thinks Jason is probably right.

7 hours ago, jason said:

GB has owned Chicago.

Rodgers has owned Chicago.

It doesn't matter who they have at OL as long as they're allowed to Hold and protect Rodgers.

The Bears secondary will make one huge, bonehead mistake.

The Bears offense will remain neutered, with Fields flashing just enough for Nagy to beg to keep his job.

I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

Rodgers throws for 300+, while Fields does some dumbass RPO plays.

Bears 14 - Packers 30

Let's somehow get the banks to block that wire transfer to the refs...some old Al Capone connections or something. 

Let's blast that OL.

Let's play smart in the secondary one time like Mike Brown was still back there...

Let's let Fields just do his thing as plays break down.

Then, I'll wake up from the dream and see that the resslts are probably going what you said, jason.

But, I'm going to take a bizarre U-Turn.  Let's sit back and just enjoy this one.  If GB beats us, so be it.  it just means we aren't good enough.  No need being upset or angry.  It is what it is.  Only during Smith's tenure around the SB were we the better team.  It's been a while.  I doubt that baton gets passed today.  Let's relish the idea that we have one last shot at stopping Rodgers before he's no longer a Packer.  Sure, if he plays for another team and visits, we want him to lose.  But there will be less desire for ill will than before.  Let's enjoy yelling at him to throw that pick or get sacked.  If he does well, then so be it.  He's a talented player.  We didn't deserve it.  But more than anything...I really want to see some good plays out of Justin.  Give us some hope to hold onto.  Make it fun, kid.  Make us proud to be Bears fans.  It's a heavy burden.  But, this young man, I think is up to the task.  No matter what happens, he should learn from this game.  

Now let's F'ing BEAR THE F DOWN!

Akiem Hicks is playing today. That's great news. 

The Packers don't have either of their starting CBs or Z. Smith on the Edge, and allow a TD 100% of the time once a team gets into the RZ. They have a terrible Special Teams unit as well. This is a prime time to get the Packers. One other sneaky fact, the Bears hired Mike Pettine, the former GB Defensive Coordinator, who is on the Bears staff. He practiced against this offense for 3 years and has intimate knowledge of the defensive player's strengths and weaknesses. If we see the Bears have the edge schematically, he might be why.

To me it comes down to Davante Adams. If the Bears can limit him to under 100 yards and 7 receptions they win. If he goes off for double-digit receptions and over 120 yards, they probably lose. 

NO MISSED TACKLES! NO BUSTED COVERAGES! EDDIE JACKSON, PROVE US WRONG AND MAKE A PLAY!

GO BEARS!

10 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

Is Damien Williams playing today. I noticed he wasn’t inactive but unsure that covers covid listed players. 

Here’s looking to Fields getting his first of many wins against the cheese heads 

COVID List, out for today.

Wow, Bears 7-0. That was quick. Super efficient drive, Fields looks sharp. Herbert TD run after an 8 play 80 yard TD drive. Kmet, ARob, and Mooney with receptions. Goodwin draws easy DPI call. Fields was 3-3 for 46 yards. All started from Grant's 11 yard punt return from the 9 yd line. Let's go!

What a series of hot garbage that was. Fields gets cheap-shotted to the head then gets an off-setting holding?!? WTF.  
Fields tries to call a TO and is denied.  Then tries to scramble and almost escapes but instead is sacked.  You think Nagy asked to play call that series?  

Bears need to get back that intensity and rhythm they had in the first quarter.