Week 6 Grades

adam

This was a tough one. 

QB - C-, I know he is a rookie and he didn't get time with the 1s, but at some point, we should see a bigger step forward. He had a higher yards per carry than yards per attempt in the passing game. I can't tell if this is Fields or Nagy's crap offense at this point. Just like Mitch, he has to learn to just throw the ball away instead of taking a sack, especially when he is getting wrapped up. I thought his biggest improvement was his scrambling as he had a career high on the ground with 43 yards. However, he took 4 sacks and at least two were totally on him. 

RB - A, Herbert was 19-97 and a TD on the ground and caught 2 for 15. He had a 2nd TD negated by a phantom holding call. His only blemish was a drop on a quick screen where there was some room to run.  Not much more you can ask from a rookie 6th round RB. No other RB got a touch. 

WR - D-, This group is very disappointing. There is too much historical production and speed for these guys not to get open against 2nd Team DBs. I would seriously look to move ARob for a 3rd or 4th rounder. On two busted plays he just gave up on the ball. There is more there than just timing. He is doing nothing any of the other WRs can't do. Time to move on from him before the Bears get nothing for him.

TE - D, Outside of Kmet, this unit is not doing much. Graham or James haven't done much, blocking was ok, but not to the level from the LV game.

OL - D, This unit regressed from the last few games against some no-name dudes. Whitehair was getting pushed back into the backfield on every play. Some sack on Fields, but others on the O-Line. Running game was decent, but mainly due to Herbert's cutback ability.

DL - D, Outside of Hicks sack, this unit didn't do too much. Did Goldman play? I didn't hear his name called once. GB's RBs got to the 2nd level too many times.

LB - B, More sacks and TFLs from Mack and Quinn. Smith played decent. I still feel like they are weak against the run than they should be. Rodgers had two long scrambles, one for a TD. LBs need to close that gap better.

CB - B-, Rodgers only threw for 195 yards, his lowest in a win, in a long time. Outside of one or two plays, the CBs held their own.

S - F, Is there a grade lower than an F? A zero? Something needs to happen here, but the Safety's mistakes led to almost all of GBs explosive plays and TDs. I will say this again, Eddie Jackson is the worst player on the team and shouldn't be playing in the NFL. He has never been the same since his injury and based on his tweet in response to Lance Briggs' criticism shows me all I need to know about him. He is petty and sensitive. He literally dug up a 10 year old tweet on Lance Briggs' tackling, which is not easy to find. How about fix yourself, watch some game tape. Nope he is too busy responding to fair and accurate criticism about his play. Chris Conte looks like an All-Pro compared to him right now. I would take DHC, Bush, or even Christian over him right now. Gipson was not good either. Both missed tackles, and there are still no splash plays from this unit. 

The Bears lost due to terrible play design on offense and the play of their safeties on defense. I won't even comment on the officials, because that is out of the team's control. 

Highlights: Herbert, Fields scambling, Mack/Quinn
Lowlights: Safeties, #BoJoke

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, adam said:

This was a tough one. 

QB - C-, I know he is a rookie and he didn't get time with the 1s, but at some point, we should see a bigger step forward. He had a higher yards per carry than yards per attempt in the passing game. I can't tell if this is Fields or Nagy's crap offense at this point. Just like Mitch, he has to learn to just throw the ball away instead of taking a sack, especially when he is getting wrapped up. I thought his biggest improvement was his scrambling as he had a career high on the ground with 43 yards. However, he took 4 sacks and at least two were totally on him. 

RB - A, Herbert was 19-97 and a TD on the ground and caught 2 for 15. He had a 2nd TD negated by a phantom holding call. His only blemish was a drop on a quick screen where there was some room to run.  Not much more you can ask from a rookie 6th round RB. No other RB got a touch. 

WR - D-, This group is very disappointing. There is too much historical production and speed for these guys not to get open against 2nd Team DBs. I would seriously look to move ARob for a 3rd or 4th rounder. On two busted plays he just gave up on the ball. There is more there than just timing. He is doing nothing any of the other WRs can't do. Time to move on from him before the Bears get nothing for him.

TE - D, Outside of Kmet, this unit is not doing much. Graham or James haven't done much, blocking was ok, but not to the level from the LV game.

OL - D, This unit regressed from the last few games against some no-name dudes. Whitehair was getting pushed back into the backfield on every play. Some sack on Fields, but others on the O-Line. Running game was decent, but mainly due to Herbert's cutback ability.

DL - D, Outside of Hicks sack, this unit didn't do too much. Did Goldman play? I didn't hear his name called once. GB's RBs got to the 2nd level too many times.

LB - B, More sacks and TFLs from Mack and Quinn. Smith played decent. I still feel like they are weak against the run than they should be. Rodgers had two long scrambles, one for a TD. LBs need to close that gap better.

CB - B-, Rodgers only threw for 195 yards, his lowest in a win, in a long time. Outside of one or two plays, the CBs held their own.

S - F, Is there a grade lower than an F? A zero? Something needs to happen here, but the Safety's mistakes led to almost all of GBs explosive plays and TDs. I will say this again, Eddie Jackson is the worst player on the team and shouldn't be playing in the NFL. He has never been the same since his injury and based on his tweet in response to Lance Briggs' criticism shows me all I need to know about him. He is petty and sensitive. He literally dug up a 10 year old tweet on Lance Briggs' tackling, which is not easy to find. How about fix yourself, watch some game tape. Nope he is too busy responding to fair and accurate criticism about his play. Chris Conte looks like an All-Pro compared to him right now. I would take DHC, Bush, or even Christian over him right now. Gipson was not good either. Both missed tackles, and there are still no splash plays from this unit. 

The Bears lost due to terrible play design on offense and the play of their safeties on defense. I won't even comment on the officials, because that is out of the team's control. 

Thoughts?

Fields is definitely improving but he cannot take those sacks. Throw the ball away. Hopefully, he learns quickly. 

I absolutely agree on Robinson. Trade him for a 3rd or a 4th and bring up Adams. Fields and Adams developed a chemistry in camp. Let's see if the can do something with it. 

At this point, I would sit Jackson for a game or two to make a point to him. Play Bush or Carson. 

In my 19 years as a season-ticket holder, that was the absolute worst officiating I have ever seen. Forget about the blown calls, which were embarrassing enough. On at least 4 occasions it appeared they had no idea what was going on and had to huddle up for 3 to 5 minutes to figure out what to do next. I hate the officiating in the NFL - absolutely hate it. 

Peace

I texted this to my dad yesterday after the game...   "Another loss as expected.  Fields didn't look great.  But it's only his 3rd game.  There is some hope.  But the scale starts balancing in the wrong direction today".  Prior to yesterday, I felt he was going to 100% be "the guy".  After seeing 3 full games, what my friend and I are seeing is a lack of speed/elusiveness.  I have no doubt he's win races going from A to B, but in the pocket and avoiding rushes, he looks slow.  Dare I saw even less elusive than Trubisky. I know it's early.  But, I'm going to watching that closely from here on out.  Still tons of potential and could learn from it.  But, I'm no longer feeling it's 100% settled. 

If you scan the league you’ll find all Rookie QBs struggle their first year, that is unless you're Justin Herbert.  Mahomes didn’t do much until year two (after watching Alex Smith) where he threw for 5,000 yards and 50 TDs.  Even Trubiksy improved on year two (his much heralded/ballyhooed Pro-Bowl season ) with over 3,200 yards passing and 24 TDs.  Despite the fact that Nagy sucks as a play caller Justin will improve there’s little doubt.  He has a much better QB historical background than Trubisky ever did.  I agree that Pace isn’t doing him any favors and needs to be replaced by the bonehead selections he’s made. With hindsight being our friend, we might’ve been better in letting Dalton take back control when he was ready.  But at this point it might be counter-productive to Fields’ development to do so.  

On the positive side of things; I see the Chicago Sky won their first ever WNBA championship.  I think it pretty cool to be from a town that has won a championship in every major league sport.  Not many cities (or states) can claim that.  I’ve been fortunate enough to watch both MLB teams win the World Series,  the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup (a few times), the Bulls win the championship ( a few more times) and even the Bears win one (and play in one other).  All in all I’d say that isn’t so bad.  And if you think of it,  despite how good Rodgers is they’ve only won one SB too and probably won’t do it again with him. 

Congrats Chicago and more importantly, congrats Chicago Sky.  

F07BFFAF-8E22-4601-A64F-34D334FABA4F.jpeg

2 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

I texted this to my dad yesterday after the game...   "Another loss as expected.  Fields didn't look great.  But it's only his 3rd game.  There is some hope.  But the scale starts balancing in the wrong direction today".  Prior to yesterday, I felt he was going to 100% be "the guy".  After seeing 3 full games, what my friend and I are seeing is a lack of speed/elusiveness.  I have no doubt he's win races going from A to B, but in the pocket and avoiding rushes, he looks slow.  Dare I saw even less elusive than Trubisky. I know it's early.  But, I'm going to watching that closely from here on out.  Still tons of potential and could learn from it.  But, I'm no longer feeling it's 100% settled. 

I agree he hasn't looked as explosive in the pocket - but I think this is more that he hasn't yet figured out when to tuck and run vs. when to make a play and that will come as he just gets more used to the speed of the game, etc. I have seen some moments where he looks super fast. I think the big thing with me that points the arrow up -> his attitude and work ethic & his ball placement on intermediate and deep balls combined with his pure athleticism.  The obvious concern is whether he'll get rid of the ball fast enough and be able to take advantage of quick hitters, but i love his skill set for the long run, including his ability to mentally handle everything that comes up with being the QB.  

Right now I haven't seen much anything change my mind -> but my answer would change if we don't see some special halfs of games and some pretty material progress by the end of the year.  No matter what - I think you need a full offseason after and see how year two works, etc, but I think this kid has a TON of moxie combined with a ton of tools and I think we'll start to see the game slow down (it already has a bit - but I think after another handful of games we'll see a pretty noticeable difference).  I kind of think the Bucs game is going to be one where we see a few more big plays.  

6 hours ago, adam said:

This was a tough one. 

Thoughts?

Didn't get to see the game so thank to all for the summary.  We're going to have to do something with Jackson.   Bush or DHC might also give up some big plays but they also makes other good plays to somewhat offset things.  

5 hours ago, Connorbear said:

In my 19 years as a season-ticket holder, that was the absolute worst officiating I have ever seen. Forget about the blown calls, which were embarrassing enough. On at least 4 occasions it appeared they had no idea what was going on and had to huddle up for 3 to 5 minutes to figure out what to do next. I hate the officiating in the NFL - absolutely hate it. 

Peace

Connor,

I agree, it was definitely in the top 5 of worst officiated games in the last decade easily. They missed some calls on the Bears too, don't get me wrong, but it was overwhelmingly lopsided towards the Packers. 

8 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Peace

Another random officiating blunder, how many people remember this play:

Ball actually spotted 2 yards OUTSIDE of the hash? Somehow they still completed a pass to that side with a narrow field. It just shows the complete ineptitude of the officiating crew for the game.