Free season for Nagy?

Uncle Buck

So I’m perusing multiple media site; the growing sentiment is that this season is strictly about Fields’ development. Article upon article mainly focusing on his week to week growth. I’m starting to feel like the narrative is that a losing season is acceptable as long as Justin develops. I’m not sure this sits well with me. Pace and Nagy should be held for the collective performance.Nagy on delivery of yet another lower third offense, not acceptable if you are hired with a background on that side of the ball. Pace for continuing to ignore the trenches, which is the foundation for winning programs. I fear George is going to buy this storyline and just chalk the season up to development. 

I don't know, after that Cleveland game, there sure were a lot of hot takes about Nagy being fired. Now another loss to GB and in a way, the mishandling of Fields development. The team has to decide if Nagy is the right guy going forward and to me, nothing says that. Trubisky was never developed, both his hand-picked guys (Foles and Dalton) didn't look particularly good. The offense is experiencing one of the worst stretches since 2004 where it was last in points and yards. Right now they are 30th in points and 32nd in yards. This would be the 2nd worst offensive output in franchise history, just think about that and the amount of bad offenses this team has seen. This would be the 2nd worst. 

We have had worse players do more, that is on coaching. ARob is having his worst season of his career, Mooney is down, Kmet has not improved. Both Byrd and Goodwin were more productive elsewhere. It is clear as day who the problem is.....Eddie Jackson!!

Lol, Eddie is indeed the issue. I think Nagy’s short life as a play caller for Reid should have been a pause for Pace, not to mention I thought that last season in KC found Reid taking back the reins from Nagy. Lazor is better, he seems to have a better feel for the cadence involved in play calling. Nagy’s pace and cadence is horrible. I suspect Lazor is average but maybe we never know because he is calling Nagy’s offense. So multiple players through the system, a number regress, a suspect playbook, and an inability to pace the calls should doom Nagy

I dont blame Pace for taking a shot on Nagy. There are two ways to get a winning coach:

You either get a guy who has won before, but has been fired for some reason, or you take a shot on an up and coming coordinator, and hope he becomes a great head coach.

Taking a shot on Nagy was SMART. It was a good bet. But now we know it didnt pay off. Doubling down when you've already lost a bet is dumb.

They should have fired him in the middle of last season.

Another name to consider is Doug Pederson.  He won a Super Bowl with Nick Foles, and has a 4-2 playoff record. His teams are rarely bad, both sides of the ball were constantly in the top half of the league and he is pretty innovative in how he uses his players. Something Nagy used in 2018 with the different player packages. We haven't seen that since.

It will be pretty clear by the end of the year. Either Fields and offense is showing real progress and if they are -> I kind of think we'll have a decent record and be competing for a 7th seed with the arrow pointing up. If that is the case - he gets another year to show he can get the offense to next level. If that doesn't happen and team is a few games under .500 and offense ranks low and Fields looks like a rookie...I think the Bears pretty clearly have a new coach the following year.  Final 6-8 games of the season are going to be really critical for Nagy.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

It will be pretty clear by the end of the year. Either Fields and offense is showing real progress and if they are -> I kind of think we'll have a decent record and be competing for a 7th seed with the arrow pointing up. If that is the case - he gets another year to show he can get the offense to next level. If that doesn't happen and team is a few games under .500 and offense ranks low and Fields looks like a rookie...I think the Bears pretty clearly have a new coach the following year.  Final 6-8 games of the season are going to be really critical for Nagy.  

Yes and that was another reason to get Fields on the field this season.  

I don't know much about scheme and play calling.  But I have a hard time understanding what anyone sees in Nagy as a coach who knows what he's doing in the game prep, play calling. and getting his team prepared.  What offensive player has he ever developed?  A bottom ten off. every year and going down further.  He failed to improve one rookie to an average level QB.  And they are blindly letting him have another shot.  "We have a plan". His plan was to keep Fields on the bench all year so no one would see he's not the guy to coach Fields.  Where is the evidence that shows anything he is doing is working

25 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don't know much about scheme and play calling.  But I have a hard time understanding what anyone sees in Nagy as a coach who knows what he's doing in the game prep, play calling. and getting his team prepared.  What offensive player has he ever developed?  A bottom ten off. every year and going down further.  He failed to improve one rookie to an average level QB.  And they are blindly letting him have another shot.  "We have a plan". His plan was to keep Fields on the bench all year so no one would see he's not the guy to coach Fields.  Where is the evidence that shows anything he is doing is working

well said. what has Nagy ever done? show me the bright spot?

I understand why Pace took a risk on him. But now we know who he is. He should have been fired in the middle of last year.

And to those who might disagree. Nagy doesnt have to be the worst coach that ever lived to deserve to be fired. It is just clear he is not bringing any large advantage to the table, and THAT is the job of a head coach. If you're just mediocre, and that's OK, that's like saying your goal is 9-8 and possibly a wild card round loss. That is no goal.

16 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

I absolutely see Nagy coming back if Fields shows good improvement the rest of the year. The last thing the McCaskeys want is large change in the organization. Fields improving is an excuse to keep Nagy. 

Peace

I agree, but it shouldnt be.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Speaking as a devil’s advocate (sorta), if Fields improves and the team wins isn’t that a good thing?  What if then?  

No I get it - you dont want to blow up something that's working. But I think we will see a difference between Fields' improvement, and rhythm and gameplanning.

I dont think we are going to win 11 games this season. If we do, I'm open to looking at how that happened of course. But if we are 9-8 and Fields is doing it on broken plays, while the regular offense is out of sync, then Nagy HAS to go.

Put it this way - Fields is not Nagy, so if Fields himself is growing, that's not a reason to keep Nagy. Nagy has to show something on his own too.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Speaking as a devil’s advocate (sorta), if Fields improves and the team wins isn’t that a good thing?  What if then?  

Nagy's offense has been a dumpster fire going on four years.  Nothing he does seems to work.  If by chance Fields manages to get a few games going forward why should anyone one give credit to Nagy?  He's had almost four years to show some improvement and it is always going the other way.

58 minutes ago, Bill said:

He's had almost four years to show some improvement and it is always going the other way.

He had a 12-4 record and made the playoffs year one. Then regressed to an 8-8 record the following year.  Year three he again managed an 8-8 record BUT made the playoffs.  So far this year he’s gotten a .500 record (at 3-3).  By record alone he’s very nearly the definition of mediocrity.  

But the question is…if Fields pieces together a string of wins regardless of whose making the calls, can you simply let go of Nagy?  Never mind a winning season but IF they make the playoffs?  Last time the team fired a coach with a winning record was Lovie when he went 10-6.  

Understand I’m no longer a fan of Nagys.  Not even as the HC.  But IF the team manages to win more than it loses, can you just let him go?  If so, how do you make the case?  It might come down to how the offense ranks at the end of the season.  Considering this is his expertise (offense) right now the offense ranks dead last or close to last in almost all major offensive categories.  

Pardon my French, but F&ck no on Nagy.  I don't care what happens with Fields.  If he progresses, it's despite of Nagy, not because of him.  Nagy has to go.  If he doesn't go, I'm buying up cases of Scotch like I'm preparing for the Zombie apocalypse.  F'ing McCaskey's will show that don't give a F about how this team really does if they keep him another year.  Then, we know for sure it's only the money that we fans pour into their coffers like lemmings jumping from a cliff...  Let's let GB and the national media laugh at us another season.  Time to invest in a large paper bags to wear for the season then.  For the past 3 years, for the first time in my life...I'm kind of embarrassed.   SERIOUSLY!  WE ARE A JOKE!  THE PUNCHLINE!  There is no more embarrassing a team than us.  The Raiders are a different real world ick.  But we are a joke.  I'm damn tired of it.  My next letter to McCaskey won't be as nice... 

27 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

Pardon my French, but F&ck no on Nagy.  I don't care what happens with Fields.  If he progresses, it's despite of Nagy, not because of him.  Nagy has to go.  If he doesn't go, I'm buying up cases of Scotch like I'm preparing for the Zombie apocalypse.  F'ing McCaskey's will show that don't give a F about how this team really does if they keep him another year.  Then, we know for sure it's only the money that we fans pour into their coffers like lemmings jumping from a cliff...  Let's let GB and the national media laugh at us another season.  Time to invest in a large paper bags to wear for the season then.  For the past 3 years, for the first time in my life...I'm kind of embarrassed.   SERIOUSLY!  WE ARE A JOKE!  THE PUNCHLINE!  There is no more embarrassing a team than us.  The Raiders are a different real world ick.  But we are a joke.  I'm damn tired of it.  My next letter to McCaskey won't be as nice... 

Amen.  The last four years plus is nowhere near good enough.

On 10/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, AZ54 said:

Yes and that was another reason to get Fields on the field this season.  

Not what I expected yesterday. I expected a loss - but I expected Fields to be able to make some splash plays. This was a lot more dissapointing than the Browns game...in many many ways.  Not a good look for Fields...it looks like he needed a lot more time sitting and watching and right now we might be sending him to the wolves in a spot where he can't do anything right and is only burrying himself.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Not what I expected yesterday. I expected a loss - but I expected Fields to be able to make some splash plays. This was a lot more dissapointing than the Browns game...in many many ways.  Not a good look for Fields...it looks like he needed a lot more time sitting and watching and right now we might be sending him to the wolves in a spot where he can't do anything right and is only burrying himself.  

The play calls were horrendous. Zero designed runs, not enough from the gun. Zero help with Simmons to start the game. 

It feels like Fields is in the wrong system, and no one is getting open. Every catch was contested. Guys tipping balls in the air for easy picks. ARob falling down and on a play where he was told he had a free play. On the fumbles, he had less than 2 seconds on one, and 2.16 on the other. There is nothing any QB is going to be able to do. He literally got back to his drop and was hit. They needed designed keepers and have him take the gap inside the tackle.

Fields should be getting better, but not a single offensive player outside of Herbert is stepping up. Zero YAC from receivers. I really hope with Nagy out that Lazor has more flexibility to make a game plan to beat SF. Nagy just needs to stay out until after the bye.

I haven't seen anything from this staff from Pace on down that lets me hope they turn things around and go 9-8 at best and maybe make the playoffs.  The vast majority of games, training camp, how this team his been built the last four years shows to me it's not going to happen.  What talent they have signed is getting old on Def. and the players  on offense are just over rated by this staff..  Take away the running backs and what player on this team is making a difference?

10 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

Fire Nagy.  The sooner, the better.  Pace should go too, but you gotta start somewhere. 

I would fire Nagy and Furrey. The WR Corps is one of the worst in the league and had recent discipline problems with Miller and Wims. 

1 hour ago, madlithuanian said:

Fire Nagy.  The sooner, the better.  Pace should go too, but you gotta start somewhere. 

If youre going to fire Pace next year, why saddle the new GM with a coach he didnt pick? And potential coaches know this. So unless you promote from within (Pettine) firing Nagy and keeping Pace right now would mean Pace wouldnt have a chance at the top candidates for head coach.

This failure of leadership happens above Pace, and should have fired them both last year, and really needs to fire them both this year, at whatever the most advantageous time for getting the best replacements are.