Sean Desai

adam

16 minutes ago, adam said:

Would anyone be opposed to elevating Desai to HC? This guy is just so much more credible than Nagy or even Pace. The consensus is the players like him and based on his comments, he holds guys accountable. 

Yes and no.  Is he better than Nagy.  Yes.  Hell, I'm better than Nagy.  Is he good enough.  No.  At least not yet.  With 6 games as DC, we don't even really know if he's that good of a DC, let alone a HC.  More often than not, great coordinators don't make great coaches.  Just look at Fangio.  Wanny.  The NFL is lettered with them.  Honestly, I want Doug Pedersen.  He's won a SB as a HC.  He's experienced.  He has QB acumen.  I want a guy that's done it.  Not a horrible retread.  But, someone who can handle the job for sure.  We cannot waste Fields on guys that have not done it and might be awful at it.  If we were going to give other guys a chance...I'd at least consider Les Frazier.  he was a HC, knows the pitfalls and has legacy.  Also, maybe Dave Toub.  He knows a lot about everything and wouldn't be hamstrung focusing on the O or D.  Daboll sounds great...but it's a gamble.  Id' be OK with that gamble.  But, not on Desai.  Certainly not yet.  Let's revisit at season's end.

No.  My experience is that you need to be careful making assumptions of next-level readiness based on short-term results in current role.   In other words, I've made the mistake of promoting someone too early.  He's improving, I like what he's doing on D,  the D players all seem to be responding to it,  and I think we're in good hands going forward.  Does that mean he's ready with his vision of what offense he wants to run?   Is he fully prepared for all HC responsibilities?  

Pace took that gamble with Nagy and I think we've all seen how cracks in the foundation lead to problems.  

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

No.  My experience is that you need to be careful making assumptions of next-level readiness based on short-term results in current role.   In other words, I've made the mistake of promoting someone too early.  He's improving, I like what he's doing on D,  the D players all seem to be responding to it,  and I think we're in good hands going forward.  Does that mean he's ready with his vision of what offense he wants to run?   Is he fully prepared for all HC responsibilities?  

Pace took that gamble with Nagy and I think we've all seen how cracks in the foundation lead to problems.  

100%  He definitely passes the press conference test requirement for Teddy and George though.  Too bad Arians wasn't in the mood for that dumb shit.  Until that mentality is out, we'll be lucky to build a dominant organization.

8 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We took a chance with Nagy as you do with any OC or DC. It aint working out. Just find someone that can adjust to the roster and go with a plan. BUT Pace should be gone to, so we need to find a new GM first.

no doubt if youre going to fire Pace, you let the next GM pick the next coach.

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Maybe there are no good options?  

The fact that the defensive secondary as a whole is the weakest link is the issue.  That’s where Desai got his start.  Jackson hasn’t been good since 2018, the last year Fangio was around. It’s like the biggest issue with the team overall is the offensive production and that’s where Nagy got his start.  

Don’t get me wrong, Desai’s doing a pretty good job with the defense right now but it could be mostly due to the players in the front 7. We’d need to see more from him before he was considered a HC.  

If we're talking interim Head Coach should the Bears possess the kahunas to fire Nagy in  season, you're only options for interim are in house.  No one worth anything from the outside will come in knowing it's likely going to get blown up in the offseason, to be the HC of a failing team for a short stint is not something any self respecting coach wants on their resume.  So names like Desai, Pettin, etc. are the short list if Nagy is removed in season.  And while we have to consider what's best for Justin and his development.  We're between a rock and a hard place.  Stay the course and keep the current pieces in place and get Fields killed cause we don't believe in doing all we can to protect him.  If we axe Naggy and promote within we're taking a risk.  It's clear watching the players that Nagy's lost the team, they look defeated and uninterested.  I didn't even bother watching the second half beyond the first two possessions as I just could no longer watch.  As a fan my hope each week of rooting for my Bears has devolved into hoping they don't embarrass themselves in this weeks loss.  last two weeks they've done just that.