Will they go back to Dalton?

DABEARSDABOMB

At what point, if at all, would the Bears consider going back to Dalton?  Feels like Fields is getting hit like crazy, unable to make the quick read, and while there are many reasons for it - performances like the Browns game and Bucs game are so bad that it is hard to generate any learning from those moments...in fact it can be the opposite, too much of this can break a player.  

I'm worried it is trending in that direction and I honestly think the Bears were right about fact that Fields should sit for a while. Yes, at some point he has to learn on the field, but it is pretty clear that there are certain skills that are lacking and the system has not been designed to help him.  Unless we see major changes to offense to simplify and put Fields in position where he can get small wins and grow through those wins...vs. being left to dissect entire fields with a crap line as a rookie (both working against him) - It just seems like we are burrying the kid.  

I really hope we start to see some wins out of Fields, who I believe in, but I got to start seeing something and this team needs to start doing something different.  It has to.  

I’m torn on this.  Yes I agree it is important for someone like Fields to learn under fire but at what cost?  At this point all teams need to do is focus on pressuring him and not give him any time to process anything. And what’s worse with him being sacked as much as he has been its only a matter of time before he gets injured.  A few times now while scrambling he’s taken some awkward steps that at some point won’t end up well.  This is not at all good for him.

At this point I think having Dalton take over would be better for Fields’ development.  He would need to understand that due to the current circumstances he’s be better off learning from watching and learning than by being under constant fire.  I think he’s mature enough to understand that.  I don’t think Nagy should be the one making that decision or call but rather whomever the interim HC is. Preferably Mike Pettine. 

I’m for Dalton taking over just to see what a veteran can do behind the line. If he starts winning it sends a statement that it’s Fields not seeing the seeing where to go with the ball, not understanding how to avoid the rush and when to not try to much.  There must be some device available where Fields is able to see what Dalton sees and get reflects on what he would do which is either the same or different to Dalton and that has to be better than what we are seeing. I’m sick of watching the Bears struggle to get past 20 points in a game. If the 49ers go 7-0 at the start of the game I’m worried we can’t score more than 10pts and they may be optimistic. 

I am torn on this too. I don't know how much better Dalton would've done getting hit in under 2 seconds. I feel like Fields issues are ones that need in game reps to fix. I don't know how he learns from the sidelines. At most they are listening to the communications and play calls. There not much of a view from the sidelines. 

If your concern is the psychological impact of fields getting hit on his future career, consider the psychological impact of being replaced. At least now he can fight through.

Also, Ive seen nothing about Fields' demeanor that indicates he cant handle this.

The team might play better week to week with Dalton, but we pulled the trigger on Fields. We ALL did, and now we have to see that through.

50 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

If your concern is the psychological impact of fields getting hit on his future career, consider the psychological impact of being replaced. At least now he can fight through.

Also, Ive seen nothing about Fields' demeanor that indicates he cant handle this.

The team might play better week to week with Dalton, but we pulled the trigger on Fields. We ALL did, and now we have to see that through.

What he said.  They made their bed now they have to lay in it.

What is so odd is the offense rarely goes "back to the well" on plays. I understand we are trying to be edgy teens and offensive masterminds, but if a play worked and they couldn't stop it, call it again later. Then you have the option of running the same play (did the defense correct itself) or running a wrinkle off it they didn't see the first time. 

The one promising thing that I am seeing with Fields is he is going thru his progressions and reading the defense. Go back and watch Trubisky for most of his games. It was hike, stare, throw, or hike, stare, scramble. That is also why Fields is getting sacked so much, because he is going thru his progressions and no one is open. 

The offense needs to scheme guys open and have blitz beaters available. I haven't seen any yet. Maybe with Nagy out, they have a chance to put something in.

7 hours ago, adam said:

What is so odd is the offense rarely goes "back to the well" on plays. I understand we are trying to be edgy teens and offensive masterminds, but if a play worked and they couldn't stop it, call it again later. Then you have the option of running the same play (did the defense correct itself) or running a wrinkle off it they didn't see the first time. 

The one promising thing that I am seeing with Fields is he is going thru his progressions and reading the defense. Go back and watch Trubisky for most of his games. It was hike, stare, throw, or hike, stare, scramble. That is also why Fields is getting sacked so much, because he is going thru his progressions and no one is open. 

The offense needs to scheme guys open and have blitz beaters available. I haven't seen any yet. Maybe with Nagy out, they have a chance to put something in.

You make me miss having the subscription to the All-22 or coaches film.  We just ran for 100yds against TB.  You're saying not once did we call the same running play?   

18 hours ago, AZ54 said:

You make me miss having the subscription to the All-22 or coaches film.  We just ran for 100yds against TB.  You're saying not once did we call the same running play?   

It is mind-boggling to me. I don't think so. I was mainly concentrating on pass plays, but will relook on the runs. For runs, there are only so many places you can run, so the run may look the same but come out of a different formation.

15 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

yeah but when the running game is working so well, how can you only get 3 points out of it?!

THAT is bad coaching.

We have one of the top 10 running games in the league and are 32nd in scoring. That is completely on coaching.