Trade Deadline on Tuesday

adam

I have a feeling this SF game will determine a lot. A loss should make them sellers. However, even with a win, I would still look to move any of the following players:

1. ARob - The Bears will get a 2023 comp pick for him, probably a 3rd or 4th, but that can be negated by acquiring FAs, so the guaranteed compensation is thru a trade now. Take a 4th or 5th in 2022 if you can get it. He has been basically a waste of a roster spot s WR1.  Bring up Adams or Thompson and see what happens.
2. Foles - To get anything for him and some cap relief that can carry over to next year makes sense. Obviously, you can only move one of the two backup QBs.
3. Jackson - This would be a massive addition by subtraction. It feels like Desai is playing him just because of his contract. DHC has already had more impact plays in a fraction of the snaps. Take him for anything.
4. Graham - Still the biggest head-scratcher of the offseason. 1 reception thru Week 7. A no-brainer. Take a conditional 7th rounder.
5. Trevathan - Has missed several games but seems like he is healthy; I don't know how much better he is than Ogletree or Jones at this point. Cap savings if you can do it. 
6. Dalton - This one is dependent on Foles. Move one of these two for a pick and some cap relief.
7. Williams - Not much cap savings, but enough to consider it. Would save pro-rated $1M, will depend on Monty and Cohen status. 
8. Gipson - If you move Jackson, then you keep him. However, if Jackson is not moved, consider moving Gipson who has been another disappointment on the backend. A lot of injuries around the league, and Gipson could provide quality depth to a contender.

If the Bears do make some moves, there is a chance they can also be buyers (for the right player), and for the right term.

WR - Jamison Crowder - would be a cheap ARob replacement, others to consider: Robby Anderson, Brandon Cooks

S - Marcus Maye - in the final year of his contract, if you could somehow miraculously move Jackson, then add Maye? That would be sweet. How about a swap? Jackson for Maye, who says no?

TE - Evan Engram - in the final year of his rookie deal, would be cheap and add something to the offense that is missing.

Thoughts? I am sure the Bears do nothing at the deadline, but I hope they shed some of the older guys, especially in a loss. They need more draft capital.

Sell all those.  Although I don't there's any buyers fro Graham or Trevathan.

I wouldn't buy any of those.  You cannot give up any draft capital anymore.

I'd also sell Mack, Hicks, Quinn, and possibly Monty.  The one thing the Bears can draft, and draft well, is RB.  And Herbert looks good.  It's worth the gamble to get something big for him now.  Mack, Quinn and Hicks are are getting too old to legitimately be around when Fields is ready to deliver on his potential.

13 hours ago, adam said:

I have a feeling this SF game will determine a lot. A loss should make them sellers. However, even with a win, I would still look to move any of the following players:

1. ARob - The Bears will get a 2023 comp pick for him, probably a 3rd or 4th, but that can be negated by acquiring FAs, so the guaranteed compensation is thru a trade now. Take a 4th or 5th in 2022 if you can get it. He has been basically a waste of a roster spot s WR1.  Bring up Adams or Thompson and see what happens.
2. Foles - To get anything for him and some cap relief that can carry over to next year makes sense. Obviously, you can only move one of the two backup QBs.
3. Jackson - This would be a massive addition by subtraction. It feels like Desai is playing him just because of his contract. DHC has already had more impact plays in a fraction of the snaps. Take him for anything.
4. Graham - Still the biggest head-scratcher of the offseason. 1 reception thru Week 7. A no-brainer. Take a conditional 7th rounder.
5. Trevathan - Has missed several games but seems like he is healthy; I don't know how much better he is than Ogletree or Jones at this point. Cap savings if you can do it. 
6. Dalton - This one is dependent on Foles. Move one of these two for a pick and some cap relief.
7. Williams - Not much cap savings, but enough to consider it. Would save pro-rated $1M, will depend on Monty and Cohen status. 
8. Gipson - If you move Jackson, then you keep him. However, if Jackson is not moved, consider moving Gipson who has been another disappointment on the backend. A lot of injuries around the league, and Gipson could provide quality depth to a contender.

If the Bears do make some moves, there is a chance they can also be buyers (for the right player), and for the right term.

WR - Jamison Crowder - would be a cheap ARob replacement, others to consider: Robby Anderson, Brandon Cooks

S - Marcus Maye - in the final year of his contract, if you could somehow miraculously move Jackson, then add Maye? That would be sweet. How about a swap? Jackson for Maye, who says no?

TE - Evan Engram - in the final year of his rookie deal, would be cheap and add something to the offense that is missing.

Thoughts? I am sure the Bears do nothing at the deadline, but I hope they shed some of the older guys, especially in a loss. They need more draft capital.

I'm ok if they got a deal for ARob.  As far as I'm concerned we can replace him by going with more 3 TE sets with Jesper.  

Foles, Jackson are obvious yes but Jackson's contract means nobody is going to be interested unless we're giving them something they really want like a draft pick.  

Graham... given our horrible pass offense we can't go by anybody's stats or we'd be getting rid of every TE and WR.  I wouldn't mind trading him but I'm not sure anyone needs him for their playoff run, and could fit his contract in their cap space.  TE is a position that gets injured a lot and his cost is sunk for this season.  We're not going to get much in return for a 3 month rental (trade) by another team and we're not likely to use his cap space.   Unless it's a can't refuse type of deal we might as well keep him around as insurance and he's helping Jesper and Kmet too.   Train your replacements!  

Trevathan I feel the same as Graham.  We won't get much in return, if anything, so we might as well keep the depth/insurance policy.  

Dalton I'd trade, but agree not both him and Foles.    We've committed to the future.  

Williams I'm keeping.  There's no reason to short change the running game now while Fields is still at the beginning of the learning curve. 

Gipson:  Never really saw him do much so if someone wanted him for some strange reason (like they never watched his game tape) then sure send him their way.     

2 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Tom Thayer said this morning on the SCORE the only untouchable should be Fields. You should at least be listening to offers for anyone else on the team .

Peace

That...maybe James Daniels.  We have to hold on to something on the OL.  :P that isn't straight garbage or on the verge of retirement.

7 hours ago, McGowan said:

A really interesting one is listening on Monty. 

I am okay listening on Monty - but I'd prefer moving our defensive pieces + Robinson (although Robinson at this point - it may just  be better hoping that somehow he gets healthier (I think he's been banged up and for Fields own sake it would be nice for him and the whole offense to get another weapon). 

If I take a glass half full view - i look at it as we are a Borom and Jenkins panning out away from basically being an upgraded center away from having a pretty damn good line and one that is young and affordable. That would give the Bears a great foundation to surround Fields with. At a minimum, hopefully one of Borom/Jenkins pans out and that means they have cap space and/or can use another draft pick near(er) term to fill the final voids.  When you pair that with Herbert and Monty, I like how the combination of a good line (hard to imagine given how bad this years line had been and it was only 1 game but I think Borom might be a keeper) and solid backs would be to supplement Fields. At TE - Kmet is solid. He isn't a dynamic wideout so by no means is he an all pro (and he wont' be) but he's a pretty good TE and if they can than find another TE in the draft who can be more dynamic - again - that gives two big, foundational targets for Fields.  

It also means you basically have a C, another TE, and than the wide receiver spot to address when it comes to the offense. At wideout - they have a lot of work to do. Ideally Robinson / Fields would work things out and look much more dynamic, so much so that the Bears and Robinson could eventually agree on a 3 or 4 year deal (at $15M/yr money - not $20M/yr money).  Mooney is not a #1 - but he is a good #2 and than they need to massively upgrade behind that - via FA and draft (can't just do one) and it can't be random Goodwins - you need real difference makers.  

Honestly - glass half full (and again - this very much assumes the young tackles work out & Fields is for real - a big if on all parts) - that is a pretty nice core on offense, with a lot of cost-controlled parts that should allow you to supplement/fill some of those voids via free agency.  That would be huge for Fields and really positioning the squad for success - so much so that the same nucleus could be a great spot for another high draft pick in 2-3 years if Fields wasn't the guy (I hope that isn't the case).  I'm clearly ignoring defense - but at this point - I just feel like we need to find the QB and get the offense to work - than once you get that - now you have a much longer window to figure out how to build a good defense around that offense.  

We are the oldest team in the NFL.  Mack, Quinn, Graham, Hicks, Trevathon, Dalton, Ogletree, Edwards and Foles would provide great value by either gaining a draft pick or dumping their contract.  On the younger side, Robinson, Montgomery, Cohen and Jackson might get some value for the future.  We really need youth and talent at WR, OL, DB and edge.

9 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

We are the oldest team in the NFL.  Mack, Quinn, Graham, Hicks, Trevathon, Dalton, Ogletree, Edwards and Foles would provide great value by either gaining a draft pick or dumping their contract.  On the younger side, Robinson, Montgomery, Cohen and Jackson might get some value for the future.  We really need youth and talent at WR, OL, DB and edge.

A little deceiving because Peters, Scales, Dalton, Foles, and Graham are all over 32. So it is a little skewed because each one of them a year older than 30 makes the roster average almost an entire year older than the rest of the league. The issue is when the core guys are over 30. Right now Hicks and Quinn are 31 and Mack is 30, those 3 are at the cusp.

2 hours ago, adam said:

A little deceiving because Peters, Scales, Dalton, Foles, and Graham are all over 32. So it is a little skewed because each one of them a year older than 30 makes the roster average almost an entire year older than the rest of the league. The issue is when the core guys are over 30. Right now Hicks and Quinn are 31 and Mack is 30, those 3 are at the cusp.

It's skewed, but valid.  Peters, Dalton, Graham, Trevathon, Hicks, Quinn and Mack are not the players they used to be.  Whether it is a step slower or injury prone their impact is diminished.  

Would love to know what the offers were, if at all. I wouldn’t have moved Arob for less than a 2nd rounder so my guess is no one offered that (if not - just get me the comp pick or tag him and trade him in offseason when he has more value). Mack is probably a better offseason vs in season trade candidate too but I would have thoughts Chiefs would have had interest in Hicks and similar someone would have wanted Quinn. 

31 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Would love to know what the offers were, if at all. I wouldn’t have moved Arob for less than a 2nd rounder so my guess is no one offered that (if not - just get me the comp pick or tag him and trade him in offseason when he has more value). Mack is probably a better offseason vs in season trade candidate too but I would have thoughts Chiefs would have had interest in Hicks and similar someone would have wanted Quinn. 

I don't think anyone would offer a 2nd or even a 3rd or 4th for anyone on this roster let alone Arob.  I think manegment and most fans halve vastly over rated this roster.  We have maybe one great player who is now 30 and fighting injuries every year and a bunch of older players with injury concerns on bad contracts.  Now the real question is did anyone offer anything for anyone on this roster or does Pace still think this is a playoff roster.  We know they had no real money or draft cap. left to sign anyone.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don't think anyone would offer a 2nd or even a 3rd or 4th for anyone on this roster let alone Arob.  I think manegment and most fans halve vastly over rated this roster.  We have maybe one great player who is now 30 and fighting injuries every year and a bunch of older players with injury concerns on bad contracts.  Now the real question is did anyone offer anything for anyone on this roster or does Pace still think this is a playoff roster.  We know they had no real money or draft cap. left to sign anyone.

Probably Pace standing on his roster, kinda like Daniel Boone or Custer...  Gotta save your job somehow, when no-one else will hire your sorry ass...

I never expected anyone to offer much if anything for ARob.  Since we aren't likely to make much use of freeing up his cap space any offer would have to be at least equal to what we expect we'll get in a comp pick, keeping in mind of course that there's a year and a round difference between the comp pick vs. 2022.   I don't see a reason to give him away when our most important project this season, developing Fields, is helped by keeping ARob.