Week 13 Official Game Thread (ARZ at CHI) The Bears are who we thought they were Bowl

adam

This will probably be an ugly loss for the Bears. Hicks, Edwards, Goodwin, Kmet, Robinson, and Smith all DNP on Wednesday. That is in addition to Fields battling the cracked ribs and Mack lost for the season. 

Murray and Hopkins were limited, but McCoy has filled in nicely for the Cards. They may be without Justin Pugh on the OL, but outside of that, they are pretty intact. 

I would expect the Bears to try to run the ball a lot, control the clock and keep the Cards off the field. 

I don't see any way the Bears can win this based on how they looked recently.

Cardinals 31-17

I see ZERO scenario where they win this game.  Quite frankly - no need to start Fields or Robinson here. Focus on getting them both at 100% in a week and than see how they can finish the season from that point forward.  I'd actually probably just treat this as a mini-bye week and not rush Hicks or Roquan either.  I will caveat - if Hopkins/Murray don't play, than I think it gets a bit more intriguing as it makes the game more "winnable" and technically a win here would be huge at restoring playoff hopes (which I don't really care about but if you are Nagy you probably do).  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

...  a win here would be huge at restoring playoff hopes (which I don't really care about but if you are Nagy you probably do).  

I'm in the Catch22 way of thinking on this. As much as I don't want Nagy back coaching next year (ergo going into the playoffs) I'm ALWAYS a fan of being able to watch the Bears play one more weekend.  

Season is saved!  Kidding. Not sure what to think of having Jenkins available this week against AZ.  Adams will be good to see should he make it on the field.  See him as a younger and cheaper version of ARob.  And Irvin is more like Ogletree.  Good player ‘in the day’ and can still contribute.  Maybe more?  

14 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Season is saved!  Kidding. Not sure what to think of having Jenkins available this week against AZ.  Adams will be good to see should he make it on the field.  See him as a younger and cheaper version of ARob.  And Irvin is more like Ogletree.  Good player ‘in the day’ and can still contribute.  Maybe more?  

Bears by 20! Jenkins with 3x pancake blocks, Irvin with 1.5 sacks and Adams with 3 receptions for 48 yards.

Then of course on 4th Down, the Cards get a TD pass to Hopkins (great pass and catch). 7-0.  This defense is always one play away. They held the Cards to 8 yards on 3 plays, then let up a 21 yard TD to Hopkins with zero Safety help.

You can't make this up, the Bears drive all the way down the field running the ball, then on 3rd Down, a pass right to Kmet flys out of his hands right into Baker's hands. He returns it for 70 yds and Cards are back in scoring position. LMAO. 

The biggest difference is Bears defenders are never in a position to make a play on an errant throw. The Cards are 2 for 2 on those. The Bears are like 1-80 on the season on those. Zero playmakers.  This looks like a 40+ to 10- sort of game now.

I suspect once it hits 14-0 the Fire Nagy chants will come out.

7 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Think we found a replacement for Cohen in Grant.  Love this guy.  He should stay for next year.  

And Johnson getting exposed at CB.  

I like Grant too, and his Special Teams work is a plus. 

Not much Johnson could do on that pass to Hopkins, perfectly placed ball and great catch. 

19 minutes ago, adam said:

Not much Johnson could do on that pass to Hopkins, perfectly placed ball and great catch

Meh…

Have to say one day I think ‘this Kmet kid is pretty good’ then he gives adds to the INT total with a  rock handed catch attempt.  Still have to ask why Jimmy G isn’t being used more? 

Dalton was absolute garbage today. Even the passes that were caught were badly thrown. All Dalton had to do was not turn the ball over, and he threw 4 picks. 3 of them were completely on him. 

If I told you Murray only threw for 123 yards, I think you would assume the Bears won. Outside of 1 or 2 runs by Conner, he didn't do much on the ground. Hopkins had that one great TD catch and only 1 other reception for 12 yards. Green, Kirk, and Ertz had only 1 reception each. I don't know what else you can expect from a defense with Mack, Hicks, Edwards, and Trevathan. 

The Cardinals had 4 INTs and 7 Passes Defended. 

The Bears had 26 First Downs to the Cards 14. Had the ball for 9 more minutes, converted on 4 of 4 4th Downs, only punted twice, and lost by 11. 

This on a day where the Lions beat the Vikings. Every team in front of the Bears lost besides Philly who was expected to beat NYJ. 

This game was a microcosm of the Nagy era. 3 steps forward and 1 step back every series. It is going to look like the Cardinals won this game, but just like the last few losses for the Bears, this was a Bears loss. Embarrassing. 

16 minutes ago, adam said:

This game was a microcosm of the Nagy era. 3 steps forward and 1 step back every series. It is going to look like the Cardinals won this game, but just like the last few losses for the Bears, this was a Bears loss. Embarrassing. 

Exactly. When your team is full of bad players, you are constantly 3 and out, and losing time of possession. When your team throws for over 300 yards and you only get 10 points out of it that is 100% COACHING.

When you are trying to lean on Grant as a #1 WR, that is a bad coaching decision.

1 hour ago, adam said:

The Bears had 26 First Downs to the Cards 14. Had the ball for 9 more minutes, converted on 4 of 4 4th Downs, only punted twice, and lost by 11. 

This on a day where the Lions beat the Vikings. Every team in front of the Bears lost besides Philly who was expected to beat NYJ. 

If you consider of the four TOs that not only did AZ score on 3 (?) of them they also started well within Bears territory the D did ok.  It’s no wonder the Bears had the ball longer and had more yardage, it’s that they didn’t do anything with it when they had it.  Used to think Andy would be good to have as backup next year; now I’m not so sure.  

Congrats to the Lions for winning one.  Against that division foe Vikings that had to feel pretty damn awesome.  Sucks that the Bears couldn’t have won a winnable game today.