Fantastic Article

Uncle Buck

My apologies on two fronts; first if this has already been mentioned and second because I can’t figure out how to link it but Dan Wiederer had a great article in today’s Chicago Tribune about the leadership of this team. A great, great read. I can only hope George is finally truly enlightened because there’s some pretty damning stuff there.

It's behind a paywall I can't access.  Is it this article?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-fire-matt-nagy-ryan-pace-20211215-guyhqzffxzbi5juq5cgkfftv7m-story.html

It's a weird URL name because the headline for the article is totally different and just lists a quote stating:   What to do?  "Clean house".  

There isn't much in this article (I can read it behind the popup) other than opinion and nothing that really much different from what's said here.  Maybe it was another article?      

Maybe this has some details from another board I check on sometimes (Bearsfansonline) but discourse is much better here.  

Without posting the text of the full Trib article, here's what it summarized:

One Halas Hall source indicates that from the outside it's a nightmare, but inside, they are almost oblivious to how bad it is.

Multiple sources indicate that Phillips will distance himself from football ops

Another source indicated the Bears need to clean house from a systemic standpoint, well beyond just GM and coach

Gary Fencik and Pat Mannelly both are frustrated the team doesn't reach out to former Bears greats to build the franchise culture and get their insight

Fencik: "They don't even know how to go about being a good organization."

Pace is considered an all-star when it comes to pro personnel and college scouting, but avoids conflict and "rocking the boat" at all costs

-----  the second part of that statement, if true, is a big problem for a GM but I'm always very cautious during times like these because it's easy for anyone and everyone to jump on the bandwagon so they look good jumping off a sinking ship.  If it's a Halas Hall source is that someone who is also part of the problem?   I also think some people just like seeing their quotes in the news.  I'll add that IMO if a manager is doing their job right nobody else knows others are in trouble.  I've had people spread rumors about me thinking I wasn't holding their poorly performing coworkers accountable when in fact they were already on a final warning.  Then one day I'm letting them know their coworker is gone. 

McCaskey is loathe to get rid of Pace due to his personal fondness for him.   Pace may be the right guy to keep around if he's grown from his experience.  He was very young when he started as GM.  John Fox was forced upon him and so Nagy is really his only HC hiring experience.  Raise your hand if you made a mistake the first time you did something.  

============================================

There is some speculation that the Bears might be trying to figure out how to reduce Pace's role somewhat so he's still on talent scouting but bringing in a Head of Football Operations person (Trace Armstrong rumor) who would have control over coaching hires.  Based on the rumors swirling I suspect that is what the Bears are trying to do.  In that case Pace would quietly accept a reduced role but they'd likely let him keep the GM title and he'd still be the guy doing the press conferences while Ops mgr stays in the background.   New Ops Mgr would have decision making over things like draft trades, FA strategies, cap management, etc.    Or maybe it goes the other way around and Pace gets the new title with reduce football role but stays involved in player acquisition/talent scouting and someone else gets hired as GM.  Semantics.      

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Maybe this has some details from another board I check on sometimes (Bearsfansonline) but discourse is much better here.  

One Halas Hall source indicates that from the outside it's a nightmare, but inside, they are almost oblivious to how bad it is.

Another source indicated the Bears need to clean house from a systemic standpoint, well beyond just GM and coach

Gary Fencik and Pat Mannelly both are frustrated the team doesn't reach out to former Bears greats to build the franchise culture and get their insight

Pace is considered an all-star when it comes to pro personnel and college scouting, but avoids conflict and "rocking the boat" at all costs

-----  the second part of that statement, if true, is a big problem for a GM but I'm always very cautious during times like these because it's easy for anyone and everyone to jump on the bandwagon so they look good jumping off a sinking ship.  If it's a Halas Hall source is that someone who is also part of the problem?   I also think some people just like seeing their quotes in the news.  I'll add that IMO if a manager is doing their job right nobody else knows others are in trouble.  I've had people spread rumors about me thinking I wasn't holding their poorly performing coworkers accountable when in fact they were already on a final warning.  Then one day I'm letting them know their coworker is gone. 

McCaskey is loathe to get rid of Pace due to his personal fondness for him.   Pace may be the right guy to keep around if he's grown from his experience.  He was very young when he started as GM.  John Fox was forced upon him and so Nagy is really his only HC hiring experience.  Raise your hand if you made a mistake the first time you did something.  

There is some speculation that the Bears might be trying to figure out how to reduce Pace's role somewhat so he's still on talent scouting but bringing in a Head of Football Operations person (Trace Armstrong rumor) who would have control over coaching hires.  Based on the rumors swirling I suspect that is what the Bears are trying to do.  In that case Pace would quietly accept a reduced role but they'd likely let him keep the GM title and he'd still be the guy doing the press conferences while Ops mgr stays in the background.   New Ops Mgr would have decision making over things like draft trades, FA strategies, cap management, etc.    Or maybe it goes the other way around and Pace gets the new title with reduce football role but stays involved in player acquisition/talent scouting and someone else gets hired as GM.  Semantics.      

Thanks AZ, that’s a great summary on the article.  I was amazed at the lack of contact with former players, not that they’re obligated but George and Teddy had a free education at their doorstep by picking the brains of former Bears. Can’t get better at a craft you don’t study and show true curiosity. The handling of the Patch report showed exactly how clueless and ignorant this leadership team is.

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I read the article yesterday. Great summary. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

My opinion continues to be hire a director of football operations and let him decide what to do with Pace and Nagy. Focus Phillips on the new stadium until he retires. 

Peace

11 hours ago, Connorbear said:

I read the article yesterday. Great summary. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

My opinion continues to be hire a director of football operations and let him decide what to do with Pace and Nagy. Focus Phillips on the new stadium until he retires. 

Peace

I second this. It’s long past time to get a director of football operations to run the show, no more of this half assed approach. Let Ted ride out into the sunset; George needs to get serious.