Jim Harbaugh?

BearFan PHX

Jim Harbaugh was a pretty good coach for the 49ers.

He took a 6-10 team that hadnt finished above 8-8 in eight years and did this:

2011 (13-3) Lost NFC Championship game in overtime to the Giants 20-17

2012 (11-4-1) Lost Super Bowl to Ravens 34-31

2013 (12-4) Lost NFC Championship game to Seattle 23-17

2014 (8-8) Did not go to the playoffs.

Fired after the 2014 season. QB Colin Kaepernick goes on to a record of 3-16 after Harbaugh leaves.

Harbaugh's 49ers record including playoffs is 49-22-1 (68%)

At Michigan, Harbaugh is 61-24 (71.8%)

2015 (10-3) Won Citrus Bowl 41-7 over Florida Gators

2016 (10-3) Lost Orange Bowl 33-32 to Florida State Seminoles

2017 (8-5) Lost Outback Bowl 26-19 to South Carolina Gamecocks

2018 (10-3) Lost Peach Bowl 41-15 to Florida Gators

2019 (9-4) Lost Citrus Bowl 35-16 to Alabama Crimson Tide

2020 (2-4) covid season

2021 (12-2) Lost Orange Bowl 34-11 to the Georgia Bulldogs

Hes a good coach and a consistent winner. He brings a much needed culture of responsibility. When he loses in the NFL, it's close. In his first three years, he was a total of two wins away from appearing all three superbowls with a team that had been 6-10. Or if you prefer, he was a total of 9 points away from appearing in all three super bowls.

And he has obvious Bears connections. Of course that means that he knows the ownership. Maybe he will come back to the NFL and avoid the Bears even if we offer to him. He'd know what he was avoiding if he did that. Or maybe he wants to take it on.

Whatever the case is, we can already have been talking to him the whole time, because he isnt in the NFL.

We could do a lot worse. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Jim Harbaugh was a pretty good coach for the 49ers.

He took a 6-10 team that hadnt finished above 8-8 in eight years and did this:

2011 (13-3) Lost NFC Championship game in overtime to the Giants 20-17

2012 (11-4-1) Lost Super Bowl to Ravens 34-31

2013 (12-4) Lost NFC Championship game to Seattle 23-17

2014 (8-8) Did not go to the playoffs.

Fired after the 2014 season. QB Colin Kaepernick goes on to a record of 3-16 after Harbaugh leaves.

Harbaugh's 49ers record including playoffs is 49-22-1 (68%)

At Michigan, Harbaugh is 61-24 (71.8%)

2015 (10-3) Won Citrus Bowl 41-7 over Florida Gators

2016 (10-3) Lost Orange Bowl 33-32 to Florida State Seminoles

2017 (8-5) Lost Outback Bowl 26-19 to South Carolina Gamecocks

2018 (10-3) Lost Peach Bowl 41-15 to Florida Gators

2019 (9-4) Lost Citrus Bowl 35-16 to Alabama Crimson Tide

2020 (2-4) covid season

2021 (12-2) Lost Orange Bowl 34-11 to the Georgia Bulldogs

Hes a good coach and a consistent winner. He brings a much needed culture of responsibility. When he loses in the NFL, it's close. In his first three years, he was a total of two wins away from appearing all three superbowls with a team that had been 6-10. Or if you prefer, he was a total of 9 points away from appearing in all three super bowls.

And he has obvious Bears connections. Of course that means that he knows the ownership. Maybe he will come back to the NFL and avoid the Bears even if we offer to him. He'd know what he was avoiding if he did that. Or maybe he wants to take it on.

Whatever the case is, we can already have been talking to him the whole time, because he isnt in the NFL.

We could do a lot worse. Thoughts?

I would be exastatic. In general my list of candidates are all experienced head coaches. Oddly enough, outside of Harbaugh or Payton (who would be my dream hire(s), the other coaches I really like are on defensive side of the ball. Specifically Quinn, Bowles and Frazier.

I am kind of surprised I have such a defensive lean but I kind of think a tough hard nose guy who runs a bit more conservative style is actually better fit for Fields. Maximize his legs, play action, simplify the field, keep down and distance on your side, etc are all actually really good and basic concepts to help develop a young QB, especially one with Fields strengths and weaknesses. Over time Fields will grow from the situations and each year start to expand his capabilities. 

I would treat him a lot more like Russel Wilson/Mac Jones/Brad early in their careers and less like Joe Burrow/Kyler Murray. 

13 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

No chance the Bears want his dysfunction.  

He made NFC championship in 3 out of his 4 years, inheriting a lousy 6-10 team. All 4 years he was .500 or better and has a fantastic overall record. Oh and obviously made Super Bowl in one of those 4 years. And the next year the Niners with a similar team absolutely sucked without Harbaugh. 

He also was pretty good in NFL at having really strong assistant coaches. Honestly - i would be ecstatic with the hire. I still remember arguing with people on this forum when I was adamant Bears should hire Andy Reid (we hired Trestman instead). If Harbaugh legit wants to come here, Bears need to make it happen - but I would specify we need a GM still. One Jim is very comfortable working with and I am ok with him having increased power but he can’t be in the dual role. 

I figure he will be in the mix of this group:

Harbaugh - all the reasons mentioned above
Pederson - successful HC, SB winner, has already been to Halas Hall as an advisor
McDaniels - he was a candidate before, success with QBs
Moore - young offensive mind, former QB
Daboll - young offensive mind, really helped Allen evolve into elite QB
Leftwich - young offensive mind, former QB
Bowles - if they go defense, he is a name to watch
Frazier - same as Bowles, obvious Bears connections
Day - Fields OU HC, long shot, but you never know

I would be surprised if the next HC was not one of those guys.

I’m personally undecided on Harbaugh.  On the one hand I like it; reaching back to guy who played with the Bears before (as a QB no doubt), success at both the NFL and college levels, success developing QBs.  But in the back of my mind I have to ask is he the absolute best option out there? Especially for a player like Justin?  

Speaking of his success at getting good assistant coaches; there’s rumors going wound Fangio may be let loose in Denver.  Could Fangio and Harbaugh be reunited in Chicago?  Would Vic do that to his protege Desai?  

Lastly, then there’s this:  

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’m personally undecided on Harbaugh.  On the one hand I like it; reaching back to guy who played with the Bears before (as a QB no doubt), success at both the NFL and college levels, success developing QBs.  But in the back of my mind I have to ask is he the absolute best option out there? Especially for a player like Justin?  

Speaking of his success at getting good assistant coaches; there’s rumors going wound Fangio may be let loose in Denver.  Could Fangio and Harbaugh be reunited in Chicago?  Would Vic do that to his protege Desai?  

Lastly, then there’s this:  

I just don’t get him staying. For me the jury is still out on the last two draft classes. Pace trades away far too many picks, at all rounds, so how do you add players? FA? FA is an expensive proposition. My opinion is rounds 4-7 are for roster bodies; it’s great when you hit but, and I don’t have numbers to back this up, but true playmakers or guys that move the needle (elite) don’t usually fall in these rounds. So Pace needs to hit on the stars in rounds 1-3 I don’t think he’s done it:

2015: Eddie Goldman-remaining player- above average round 2-probably last season with club 

2016: Whitehair (rd 2), Bush and Houston-Carson, one above average and two serviceable players 

2017: Jackson and Cohen; both average, hoth round 4

2018: Roquan, Daniels, Iggy, Nichols- superstar, avg or slightly above O lineman, special teamer, avg. D lineman 

2019: Montgomery and Shelly: above average back and special teamer

2020: Kmet, Johnson, Gipson, Vildor, Mooney: avg TE, DB with promise, DE with promise, corner at best sb special teamer and receiver who probably will be a #2 at best( which isn’t bad) probably too early on these guys but my gut says Johnson will be the only difference maker

2021: too early 

In Pace’s tenure 46 players drafted; 25 remain with team- 54% retention; is this good or bad?

During his 7 drafts; 65% times of the picks were from rounds 4-7; (30 players)

Rounds 1-3 rounds 16 players drafted; 2 WR, 2QB, 2 TE- offensive impact positions and there is some duplicity here . 9 of these 16 remain on the roster.

Under Pace he’s produced .430 winning%. Say the first three years he’s sculpting his roster- they had a .290 %. Year 4 through 7 the winning % is .530%.

The team peaked in 2018 under his reign, since then they are performing at a .460 clip

I know about the trades ie Mack and I don’t condemn the thought behind them but they also serve to place more pressure on future picks to still elevate the roster and team performance.

I don’t see a convincing case for his retention other than George is a dolt. 

They need new voices in the building and the higher up it can get, the better. Sorry for the ramble.

Is Mike Ditka a fine human being? What about Bill Parcells? Is Bill Belichick a nice guy first and foremost?

Nagy is a quality human being. From this we get all male dance parties after every win.

Im not sure head football coach is where you look for role models in human behavior. Id settle for bringing accountability, and wins.

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

They need new voices in the building and the higher up it can get, the better. Sorry for the ramble.

No need to apologize for the ramble, a lot of good accurate info.

There’s been discussion (a few types of course) about maybe someone at or around Ted Phillips’ level to help with managing the team. We’ve all seen the talk about possibly locating the Bears elsewhere and that Ted might be better served doing that.  If that be the case, whomever that is could have direct oversight on what Pace does and how he does it.  We’ve also heard the rumors ‘Pace is liked by the organization’ for whatever that’s worth.  I’ve read the team is talking to football gurus like Bill Polian to get advice in their next move.  Hope they listen.  

Add in whomever the HC candidate is could have more say on player management (almost hybrid HC - GM).  Candidates like Harbaugh, Frazier, Payton, Pedersen fit more into a mold like that than do others like Day, Daniels or Daboll.  

So really, if Pace stays with the team he may end up being no more than a glorified scout with a lot of leashes.  

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

No need to apologize for the ramble, a lot of good accurate info.

There’s been discussion (a few types of course) about maybe someone at or around Ted Phillips’ level to help with managing the team. We’ve all seen the talk about possibly locating the Bears elsewhere and that Ted might be better served doing that.  If that be the case, whomever that is could have direct oversight on what Pace does and how he does it.  We’ve also heard the rumors ‘Pace is liked by the organization’ for whatever that’s worth.  I’ve read the team is talking to football gurus like Bill Polian to get advice in their next move.  Hope they listen.  

Add in whomever the HC candidate is could have more say on player management (almost hybrid HC - GM).  Candidates like Harbaugh, Frazier, Payton, Pedersen fit more into a mold like that than do others like Day, Daniels or Daboll.  

So really, if Pace stays with the team he may end up being no more than a glorified scout with a lot of leashes.  

Maybe they transition him into a business side role like Ted had; Ted tutors him and they work hand in hand on the Arlington Heights project. It would make George happy, keeping his bureau around, and satisfy the rest of us who don’t want him anywhere the football side anymore. 

22 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

He made NFC championship in 3 out of his 4 years, inheriting a lousy 6-10 team. All 4 years he was .500 or better and has a fantastic overall record. Oh and obviously made Super Bowl in one of those 4 years. And the next year the Niners with a similar team absolutely sucked without Harbaugh. 

He also was pretty good in NFL at having really strong assistant coaches. Honestly - i would be ecstatic with the hire. I still remember arguing with people on this forum when I was adamant Bears should hire Andy Reid (we hired Trestman instead). If Harbaugh legit wants to come here, Bears need to make it happen - but I would specify we need a GM still. One Jim is very comfortable working with and I am ok with him having increased power but he can’t be in the dual role. 

Never said he wasn't a good coach.  Go to the way-back machine and you can dig up many posts from me saying he should be the next Bears HC .... that's from when he was at Stanford the year before he left them for the NFL.   The back story on him in SF was all ego-maniacal and I don't think the Bears owners want to deal with that.  More than anything it was his ego that blew up what he had going in San Francisco and cast him back into the college ranks.  Even then he carried some of that with him to Michigan.  It's entirely possible that he's matured but I doubt the owners want to take that chance.   

Those of us old enough to remember Ditka's HC years here might consider the risks of a volatile personality acceptable because there are some similarities.  Enough similarities  to explain why the two struggled to get along in Chicago.   I know that he'd be better offensively than Nagy but you're still going to get some oddball plays here and there that make you wonder what he was thinking.    

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/12/01/michigan-ohio-state-jim-harbaugh-doesnt-get-it/4346892002/

If we can find someone as tough as Harbaugh, who will instill a culture of accountability, and inspire smash mouth play, but who is easier to deal with, then great! I just dont want to trade those things away for a guy we like better. if i could have any couch id take Bill Belichick, so I am ok with someone as tough as him who doesnt play the TV game.

It doesnt have to be Harbaugh, but i want a tough winner to put the chip back on our shoulder.

They were really talking Harbaugh up on ESPN 1000 yesterday.  Waddle and Silvey stated that he is a better pro coach than college.  They also talked about his failures in college as mainly talent issues, in that Michigan can't recruit with Ohio State, Notre Dame and the SEC.  I remember there was mention of the recruiting disparity in their bowl game with Georgia.  It was emerging like Georgia had something like 83 top recruits while Michigan had 13.(don't quote me on that)  Anyway, I still hate Harbaugh, but as a coach we could do worse.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:49 AM, Uncle Buck said:

I just don’t get him staying. For me the jury is still out on the last two draft classes. Pace trades away far too many picks, at all rounds, so how do you add players? FA? FA is an expensive proposition. My opinion is rounds 4-7 are for roster bodies; it’s great when you hit but, and I don’t have numbers to back this up, but true playmakers or guys that move the needle (elite) don’t usually fall in these rounds. So Pace needs to hit on the stars in rounds 1-3 I don’t think he’s done it:

2015: Eddie Goldman-remaining player- above average round 2-probably last season with club 

2016: Whitehair (rd 2), Bush and Houston-Carson, one above average and two serviceable players 

2017: Jackson and Cohen; both average, hoth round 4

2018: Roquan, Daniels, Iggy, Nichols- superstar, avg or slightly above O lineman, special teamer, avg. D lineman 

2019: Montgomery and Shelly: above average back and special teamer

2020: Kmet, Johnson, Gipson, Vildor, Mooney: avg TE, DB with promise, DE with promise, corner at best sb special teamer and receiver who probably will be a #2 at best( which isn’t bad) probably too early on these guys but my gut says Johnson will be the only difference maker

2021: too early 

In Pace’s tenure 46 players drafted; 25 remain with team- 54% retention; is this good or bad?

During his 7 drafts; 65% times of the picks were from rounds 4-7; (30 players)

Rounds 1-3 rounds 16 players drafted; 2 WR, 2QB, 2 TE- offensive impact positions and there is some duplicity here . 9 of these 16 remain on the roster.

Under Pace he’s produced .430 winning%. Say the first three years he’s sculpting his roster- they had a .290 %. Year 4 through 7 the winning % is .530%.

The team peaked in 2018 under his reign, since then they are performing at a .460 clip

I know about the trades ie Mack and I don’t condemn the thought behind them but they also serve to place more pressure on future picks to still elevate the roster and team performance.

I don’t see a convincing case for his retention other than George is a dolt. 

Uncle Buck, you are being too nice lol. 

2015: Eddie Goldman - overpaid DL who had 1 good year. Not even seen as a good pick anymore.

2016: Whitehair - only name in 2016 worth mentioning and he is an average interior lineman.

2017: Jackson and Cohen - this seemed like a good draft, but whoa. Jackson has been an under average Safety since his injury in 2018. Cohen hasn't played in 2 years.

2018: Roquan, Daniels, Nichols - This is a decent group but who knows if they will even resign Daniels or Nichols. 

2019: Montgomery - Solid pick but RBs are so replaceable nowadays. 

2020: Kmet, Johnson, Gipson, Mooney - Probably his 2nd best draft, but he drafted Kmet over WR, Johnson was a good pick, Gipson has flashed, and Mooney is a solid WR2. 

2021: This might end up Pace's best draft, but it is all dependent on Fields. Nothing else matters.

Then you have the whiff on Trubisky. 

Check out this tweet from Dan Durkin comparing Pace to other GMs who have been in the job as long or longer than him:

Pace is dead last in pretty much every category. I don't know how Mike Brown still has a job with the Bengals or Telesco with the Chargers. 

49 minutes ago, adam said:

Uncle Buck, you are being too nice lol. 

2015: Eddie Goldman - overpaid DL who had 1 good year. Not even seen as a good pick anymore.

2016: Whitehair - only name in 2016 worth mentioning and he is an average interior lineman.

2017: Jackson and Cohen - this seemed like a good draft, but whoa. Jackson has been an under average Safety since his injury in 2018. Cohen hasn't played in 2 years.

2018: Roquan, Daniels, Nichols - This is a decent group but who knows if they will even resign Daniels or Nichols. 

2019: Montgomery - Solid pick but RBs are so replaceable nowadays. 

2020: Kmet, Johnson, Gipson, Mooney - Probably his 2nd best draft, but he drafted Kmet over WR, Johnson was a good pick, Gipson has flashed, and Mooney is a solid WR2. 

2021: This might end up Pace's best draft, but it is all dependent on Fields. Nothing else matters.

Then you have the whiff on Trubisky. 

Check out this tweet from Dan Durkin comparing Pace to other GMs who have been in the job as long or longer than him:

Pace is dead last in pretty much every category. I don't know how Mike Brown still has a job with the Bengals or Telesco with the Chargers. 

Just the holiday spirit, lol! That tweet is pretty much the ball game on Pace. Interesting that some of the top GMs have/had great QBs : Big Ben, Brady, Brees. Hitting on or acquiring that elite QB can provide breathing room for sure. As for Pace, my blood boils to think George could convince himself to retain him. In just about every measurement, he’s mediocre. Keeping him in place and firing Nagy is an insulting gesture to the fans. To be honest, I wouldn’t expect any better from George, he truly is a dolt and he’s surrounded by idiots that tell him he’s special. It’s truly too bad Virginia didn’t step in years ago and keep her sons at bay. 

Pace has done some good things, and some bad things. Overall, I could see keeping him based on what he's done, despite some of the other things he's done.

But to me this isn't the way to make this decision. Assuming you think Pace is a competent GM, but replaceable with a similar talent at least, then I think you decide this based on what attracts the right coach. We are not the only team looking for a leader who can develop a young QB.

Either you get a new GM that you think does better picking coaches, or you ask the new coach who he wants grocery shopping for him, which might be an enticement giving us an edge.

I know it flips the power balance upside down, because now the coach has some power over the GM, but some coaches ARE the GM, so as long as you have a director of football operations above them to guide and fire them, you can ask a top coach who he wants at GM. And if that helps sell the job, then moving Pace becomes easier.

What if an incoming Sean Payton LOVES Pace? What if another guy doesn't?

And who is picking the coach or GM, whichever is picked first.

I sure hope on Monday we see someone like Pete Carrol retire from coaching to be our Top football guy (if you prefer another name, thats fine for this example). Then you can figure out the coach / GM problem however you want and in whichever order gives you the best leverage in hiring the guy you think is most critical.

35 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Just the holiday spirit, lol! That tweet is pretty much the ball game on Pace. Interesting that some of the top GMs have/had great QBs : Big Ben, Brady, Brees. Hitting on or acquiring that elite QB can provide breathing room for sure. As for Pace, my blood boils to think George could convince himself to retain him. In just about every measurement, he’s mediocre. Keeping him in place and firing Nagy is an insulting gesture to the fans. To be honest, I wouldn’t expect any better from George, he truly is a dolt and he’s surrounded by idiots that tell him he’s special. It’s truly too bad Virginia didn’t step in years ago and keep her sons at bay. 

The more I look back at Pace's tenure, the more I think he has to be gone too. Last year around this time they held a press conference and basically tied Pace and Nagy together. How could Pace survive but Nagy goes when it's Pace's roster? He was the one who had no plan at CB and OL and backed himself into a corner with Fuller and Leno that could've been resolved before last season ended. 

A team is what the record states and is indicative of the players they have. They are either hits or misses. So if you go thru all of Pace's free-agent signings and draft picks, he has more misses than hits (probably around 40%) which correlates almost perfectly to the Bears record with him as GM. 

Leno ended up having a rebound year and was just extended by WFT for a reasonable price, that was a miss. Fuller was terrible this year, so Pace is 50%. Pace let CPat walk and he ended up a Pro Bowler with ATL and 5th in total yards. The Bears player with the most all-purpose yards? Khalil Herbert with 1132 and is 33rd in the NFL. Drops Pace to 33%. You can keep doing that and I bet it is no better than 45%, right where the Bears have been with Pace the entire time.

For me, looking back, 2018 was an anomaly. Easy schedule with the defense getting way too many turnovers to make it sustainable. That was more like a 9 win team with 3 wins from the schedule and turnover margin. 

I really hope he is gone. He has had 2x HCs and drafted 2x 1st Round QBs while also signing several vets and none have worked out. Fields is the only one that has a chance, but even he is no sure thing.

Lastly, this should've been done last year. Everyone seemed to think 2021 was a reset year anyway and didn't have Super Bowl projections. If there was a new regime, they could've treated it like that and got the roster and cap in better shape for 2022. It's ok, but could be a lot better. 

41 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Pace has done some good things, and some bad things. Overall, I could see keeping him based on what he's done, despite some of the other things he's done.

But to me this isn't the way to make this decision. Assuming you think Pace is a competent GM, but replaceable with a similar talent at least, then I think you decide this based on what attracts the right coach. We are not the only team looking for a leader who can develop a young QB.

Either you get a new GM that you think does better picking coaches, or you ask the new coach who he wants grocery shopping for him, which might be an enticement giving us an edge.

I know it flips the power balance upside down, because now the coach has some power over the GM, but some coaches ARE the GM, so as long as you have a director of football operations above them to guide and fire them, you can ask a top coach who he wants at GM. And if that helps sell the job, then moving Pace becomes easier.

What if an incoming Sean Payton LOVES Pace? What if another guy doesn't?

And who is picking the coach or GM, whichever is picked first.

I sure hope on Monday we see someone like Pete Carrol retire from coaching to be our Top football guy (if you prefer another name, thats fine for this example). Then you can figure out the coach / GM problem however you want and in whichever order gives you the best leverage in hiring the guy you think is most critical.

That's the thing, if you keep Pace, you are ok projecting what he has done in the past into the future. So do we want 1 winning season in the next 7? 0 playoff wins for 7 more years? 

This is a totally different story if the Bears have had at least a few consecutive years of success (winning record) with at least one playoff win. Also, the one winning season is about to be 4 seasons ago (played 3 seasons since) and after that one year the Bears have been 22-26, averaging 7 wins a year. That is exactly who the Bears are and have been under Pace. Do we want that to continue?

I would say Payton is the only HC I would be ok with for retaining Pace. Any other HC I would rather go in another direction without Pace.

1 hour ago, adam said:

The more I look back at Pace's tenure, the more I think he has to be gone too. Last year around this time they held a press conference and basically tied Pace and Nagy together. How could Pace survive but Nagy goes when it's Pace's roster? He was the one who had no plan at CB and OL and backed himself into a corner with Fuller and Leno that could've been resolved before last season ended. 

A team is what the record states and is indicative of the players they have. They are either hits or misses. So if you go thru all of Pace's free-agent signings and draft picks, he has more misses than hits (probably around 40%) which correlates almost perfectly to the Bears record with him as GM. 

Leno ended up having a rebound year and was just extended by WFT for a reasonable price, that was a miss. Fuller was terrible this year, so Pace is 50%. Pace let CPat walk and he ended up a Pro Bowler with ATL and 5th in total yards. The Bears player with the most all-purpose yards? Khalil Herbert with 1132 and is 33rd in the NFL. Drops Pace to 33%. You can keep doing that and I bet it is no better than 45%, right where the Bears have been with Pace the entire time.

For me, looking back, 2018 was an anomaly. Easy schedule with the defense getting way too many turnovers to make it sustainable. That was more like a 9 win team with 3 wins from the schedule and turnover margin. 

I really hope he is gone. He has had 2x HCs and drafted 2x 1st Round QBs while also signing several vets and none have worked out. Fields is the only one that has a chance, but even he is no sure thing.

Lastly, this should've been done last year. Everyone seemed to think 2021 was a reset year anyway and didn't have Super Bowl projections. If there was a new regime, they could've treated it like that and got the roster and cap in better shape for 2022. It's ok, but could be a lot better. 

Leno getting cut is a wake up call that it appears he answered.  After several subpar seasons in Chicago he had to go.  You can't assume he'd have played well here without fighting for that new contract.  We just don't know but the decision had to be based on his performance no differently than the subpar performace you are using to justify cutting Goldman.   

Pace has only had one HC.  He was forced to take on Fox because the owners wanted a veteran HC with such a young inexperienced GM.  They also hired Pace really late that year and he had to use the previous scouting organization for his first draft.  Things got a little bit better after he got his setup in place especially in the later rounds but not the early rounds.  Nagy was his first fully-in-charge HC hire.   

I don't know if Pace is staying but it sure feels like we'd have a lot more rumors if he wasn't because his replacement has to hire a HC.   The last rumor I recall was about Trace Armstrong and that was weeks ago.  

Have to disagree with this statement:  "also signing several vets and none have worked out."

Hicks worked out very well, Quinn just set record for sacks, Trevathan worked out very well his first few years he's just too old now.  ARob was a good signing until he went into "me first" mode this year.  He has brought in many cheap FAs who contributed on the field:  Blackson, Ifedi, even Jason Peters, Damien Williams.  Not saying there weren't misses just that the blanket statement that they were all bad isn't correct IMO.   

Get ready because the Armstrong/Harbaugh rumors still persist:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/another-layer-to-persistent-trace-armstrong-rumor-just-surfaced/