Ryan Poles next GM

adam

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero concern here.  Poles has been in KC for a while - but under different admins and has seen / been responsible for both pro and collegiate side so has good depth.  Now to see how they go with HC - but Bears got there guy and Poles seemed to zero in on Bears and chose Bears over Vikings.  

Lets roll - now to see what they do with HC - but I presume the HC's coming are in for a reason and are very much on Pole's list.  Caldwell is coming in - but he could also be an OC option if Bears go with a defensive minded coach.  No one had Pole a week ago as the lead - so I'm not going to assume the league knows what Pole is about to do here.  It does seem that either way - we will see a HC likely in Chicago by the end of the week (unless Pole's preferred candidate is on one of the last remaining playoff teams).  

I would point out - he knows Bienemy as well as anyone and presumably also knows Doug Pederson and others.  So if he chooses to bring in either - i will assume he does so really knowing those individuals, just as if he doesn't choose to bring in either - that will tell you something as well.  

They won’t have to change too many letters on the nameplate for his office sign.  

Not sure what to think.  Some have pointed out his being younger than Pace when he was hired. And that he’s been a scout for a fair portion of his career.  Then there’s the KC connection (like Nagy).   Understand that he’s been directly involved with a lot of talent that KC has brought in for the last few years; which is great.  Hope that he has a more realistic approach to building teams. I liked one of the candidates’ theory on building from within, meaning they stick with their drafts and build that way more than relying on FAs.  

Then there’s the conspiracist that suggests since he played at Boston College with Matt Ryan surely he’ll consider  Dan Quinn for HC. Which I guess isn’t the worst thing in the world.  

Yep - I like it - they are moving with a purpose and we will see if the list of names gets expanded.  Flores was a college teammate with Poles - but not sure how much that matters. I might be good friends with someone - but that doesn't mean I want them working at the same company as me, etc.  Might be better not to work together in that situation.  

2 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

They won’t have to change too many letters on the nameplate for his office sign.  

Not sure what to think.  Some have pointed out his being younger than Pace when he was hired. And that he’s been a scout for a fair portion of his career.  Then there’s the KC connection (like Nagy).   I’m hoping he has a more realistic approach to building teams and that he’s been directly involved with a lot of talent that KC has brought in for the last few years.  I liked one of the candidates’ theory on building from within, meaning they stick with their drafts and build that way more than relying on FAs.  

Then there’s the conspiracist that suggests since he played at Boston College with Matt Ryan surely he’ll consider  Dan Quinn for HC. Which I guess isn’t the worst thing in the world.  

yep, Ryan P---, Pace to Poles

Just now, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Yep - I like it - they are moving with a purpose and we will see if the list of names gets expanded.  Flores was a college teammate with Poles - but not sure how much that matters. I might be good friends with someone - but that doesn't mean I want them working at the same company as me, etc.  Might be better not to work together in that situation.  

I was concerned that they would wait too long on the GM, and too many coaches would come available from the losing playoff teams (ie. Daboll, etc). This is perfect, now Poles can interview candidates on his own and come up with the HC selection. 

Like many, I want Daboll as our HC. Unfortunately, I have a gut feeling he will sign with NYG.

I'm not enthused with the three candidates coming in for 2nd interviews. I hope Poles is equally unimpressed.

I know we were disappointed with Nagy from KC, but Eric Bieniemy has been OC for KC the past four years and has done an outstanding job.

I wouldn't mind seeing him come in if Daboll signs elsewhere. I could see Fields in an offense similar to what Mahomes runs.

What do you guys think?

10 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Like many, I want Daboll as our HC. Unfortunately, I have a gut feeling he will sign with NYG.

I'm not enthused with the three candidates coming in for 2nd interviews. I hope Poles is equally unimpressed.

I know we were disappointed with Nagy from KC, but Eric Bieniemy has been OC for KC the past four years and has done an outstanding job.

I wouldn't mind seeing him come in if Daboll signs elsewhere. I could see Fields in an offense similar to what Mahomes runs.

What do you guys think?

All I want is for Poles to pick his head coach. He is the GM. He is responsible for the football side of the Bears organization according to George. The new head coach needs to be hired by Poles. 

Peace

I'm good with the Poles signing and glad that we did the GM first, it's possible that this could be a bang bang deal where we see a HC signing soon.  With the simultaneous interview process I can see the GM candidates indicating some names on their list of choices for HC.  It's possible the Bears interviewed coaching candidates based on various GM candidates lists which in turn helped narrow the GM search and helped them identify which GM/HC combos might work well with our current roster.  I do respect Yate's opinion and can get behind this signing.  If I'm not mistaken Poles has an OL background and has a good eye for OL, if true that's something that really intrigues me as that is one area of our offense that has been a mess.  He is a first time GM so there will be a learning curve, but he's been around and part of a winning organization who's done well at talent evaluation.  

Now that we are down to the HC search, one question that pops into my mind is whether or not we stick with a 3-4 or switch back to a 4-3 defense?  We've been constructing our D roster to be a 3-4 though we're not always in 3-4.  I know that's more of a DC.  

11 minutes ago, Pixote said:

What do you guys think?

On Bieniemy - I figure Poles intimately knows Eric from his time in KC. So if he brings him in - I am on board and have full trust in Poles to get his target. If he doesn't bring him in - than that tells me everything I need to know about Bieniemy the candidate.  No one should know Eric as good as Poles would.  

Dan Quinn is exciting - because he's charismatic and can find and lure great assistants. He has that CEO(ish) swagger as a HC and a superbowl appearance (and choke).  He has issues too - but I wouldn't have a major issue. Caldwell is respectable, but has his flaws and has never ran an offensive unit with a good ground game, but likely could get some good coordinators and did outstanding work with the Lions (given it was the Lions - but still - there was a lot not to like about his time with the Lions).  Eberus seems pretty intriguing and if you paired him with an OC like Caldwell or Bevell (built up Russel Wilson in Seattle) and someone like Pep Hamilton (who has been a young QB whisperer everywhere he has been) - that would be interesting.

I do think we likely see 1-2 more candidates and Pix, like you, I would love it if somehow Bears shocked us and swooped on Daboll.  I will also note that Poles very much knows Doug Pederson too - who could be an intriguing option as an OC (if he doesn't get an HC gig this cycle).  But like Eric B - if he's out there and Bears don't go to him, it says something too.  Plus - there is also the connection Poles has with Flores.  Flores big problem was he didn't get along with front office - if this unity could work, there could be something to believe there (and maybe Caldwell works with Flores which was what was always supposed to happen in Miami but health issues got in that way).  

A lot is made of Flores that he can have a bristly personality and didn't get along in Miami despite getting the most out of his players on a team built more to play for draft position than to win games.  Ditka wasn't exactly easy to get along with either, sometimes the nice guy approach isn't the only road to winning football.  You don't want to invite chaos but, sometimes having a guy who's not afraid to ruffle some feathers if it means winning football that's not a bad thing.  The Bears could use a little edginess as long as it's properly focused.

Evidently some reports out there that Khan DID NOT interview for the GM job, rather interviewed for the potential president job when Ted Phillips retires (next year).  So Khan is in a holding pattern to see what happens in Pittsburgh but Bears did early diligence so if it were to open they could pounce on Khan.  I like this - as long as there was some level of trasnparency with Poles around this being a future move (new head replacing Phillips) and so long as the relationship would be good. Otherwise - it would interject a real backwards power dynamic that could negate the hopeful positive that comes with the new GM. 

Note: This is even if the reports from DaBearsBlog (who has been pretty spot on throughout this process) are true.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Evidently some reports out there that Khan DID NOT interview for the GM job, rather interviewed for the potential president job when Ted Phillips retires (next year).  So Khan is in a holding pattern to see what happens in Pittsburgh but Bears did early diligence so if it were to open they could pounce on Khan.  I like this - as long as there was some level of trasnparency with Poles around this being a future move (new head replacing Phillips) and so long as the relationship would be good. Otherwise - it would interject a real backwards power dynamic that could negate the hopeful positive that comes with the new GM. 

Note: This is even if the reports from DaBearsBlog (who has been pretty spot on throughout this process) are true.  

If true about Khan that was smart heads up play using your GM interviewing opportunity to see if he's someone who can help next year when Ted leaves.  Somebody has to handle the off-field stuff from marketing to the new stadium.  You don't want your GM messing around with that, at least I wouldn't.  You got 2 people reporting to ownership for two branches of the business on-field and off-field.  

George said Poles gets to pick  the coach so that's a good thing. I don't know much about any of the choices, but am glad they are moving forward. He was scheduled to fly to Minnesota, so they didn't let him leave the room. He was a finalist for 3 jobs so bears aren't the only ones that liked him. Time will tell.

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

On Bieniemy - I figure Poles intimately knows Eric from his time in KC. So if he brings him in - I am on board and have full trust in Poles to get his target. If he doesn't bring him in - than that tells me everything I need to know about Bieniemy the candidate.  No one should know Eric as good as Poles would.  

I hope you're right.  I'm not 100% convinced that Andy Reid doesn't make a  majority of the offensive play calls.  However if I'm wrong and Bieneny is the one that does it, I hope he's more Pedersen less Nagy.  

Edit:  no sooner do I post then I see this on Twitter. 

49 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I hope you're right.  I'm not 100% convinced that Andy Reid doesn't make a  majority of the offensive play calls.  However if I'm wrong and Bieneny is the one that does it, I hope he's more Pedersen less Nagy.  

Edit:  no sooner do I post then I see this on Twitter. 

It is crazy to me that he has gotten so little airplay this cycle. I know he missed on jobs the last two cycles - but usually a candidate with his pedigree gets the eventual momentum and lands the job (kind of like Fangio eventually got the gig).  Him not getting a job this cycle would be a shocker to me.  I do get the fact that teams don't like waiting until the end of the playoffs - but this cycle more than past cycles it feels like there was an increased patience on the HC hiring front.  I mean at this point we still haven't had any team make a hire at HC (unless I am forgetting something).  

He's calling Andy Reid's plays within Andy Reid's game plan.  Yet how much of KCs offense is simply the elite talent in Hill, Kelce, and Mahomes?  Just watching the Buffalo game so many of the big plays get done off-script.  To be fair there was some of that with Buffalo but who is Allen throwing to?  I just watched the game and can't even remember any WR or TE beyond Beasley.  I know him more from his days as a Cowboy.   I agree that Poles will know, or should know, ( I sure hope he knows) how much of the success is attributable to Bienemy and how much is from elite playmakers doing their thing in the school yard.  

32 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

He's calling Andy Reid's plays within Andy Reid's game plan.  Yet how much of KCs offense is simply the elite talent in Hill, Kelce, and Mahomes?  Just watching the Buffalo game so many of the big plays get done off-script.  To be fair there was some of that with Buffalo but who is Allen throwing to?  I just watched the game and can't even remember any WR or TE beyond Beasley.  I know him more from his days as a Cowboy.   I agree that Poles will know, or should know, ( I sure hope he knows) how much of the success is attributable to Bienemy and how much is from elite playmakers doing their thing in the school yard.  

Since we are going KC connection route,  watch them hire Beinemy and he makes Nagy the OC.  How would that taste?

Actually I heard QB coach Mike Kafka is an up and comer. He could be a OC target. 

I kind of hope Pole goes his own route.  We did the Saints route and then the Chiefs.  We need to create our own route.  He did give the Ole Lovie quite of hit the road running...or get off the bus.