Free agency begins

Stinger226

30% of the NFLs rostered players last year were UDFA. So most of the depth players we don't even know yet.

The players I would like to see him still sign are ; Steven Nelson/CB....Justin Coleman as the slot Corner.....Ronnie Harrison/SS.........PJ Williams/S.....TreQuan Smith/ WR.......Auden Tate/WR.......Jesse James/TE......Anthony Frisker/TE......Kysir White/LB......DuaneBrown/LT.......

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

30% of the NFLs rostered players last year were UDFA. So most of the depth players we don't even know yet.

The players I would like to see him still sign are ; Steven Nelson/CB....Justin Coleman as the slot Corner.....Ronnie Harrison/SS.........PJ Williams/S.....TreQuan Smith/ WR.......Auden Tate/WR.......Jesse James/TE......Anthony Frisker/TE......Kysir White/LB......DuaneBrown/LT.......

That is pretty wild, so 16 players from the 53-man will be UDFAs. If you add the draft picks, the Bears would only need 35-40 players before the draft.

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

Not sure if the rumors were true, but at one point I read the bears had interest in honey badger. Since they missed out on Armstead and have the money, I'd be cool signing him.

Another big time lottery pick I'd give a shot too is Solomon Thomas. 

Unless his price comes way down I'm not interested in Honey Badger.  He's been more name than game in recent years and I don't see that trend turning around at his age.  

I think it's pretty clear Poles isnt going to give any big contracts out for anybody other than a LT,  If he signs a Eric Fisher or Duane Brown, I suspect that won't be cheap but at a good value. Players holding out for more money have to be nervous, I suspect we get some more players this week. Lots of good players still available.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think it's pretty clear Poles isnt going to give any big contracts out for anybody other than a LT,  If he signs a Eric Fisher or Duane Brown, I suspect that won't be cheap but at a good value. Players holding out for more money have to be nervous, I suspect we get some more players this week. Lots of good players still available.

After any Bates news, it will most likely be a quite week since the NFL spring meetings will be taking place.  

2 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Stopped by to check to see if we got the Bills lineman

Not yet, they have until Tuesday, but hopefully we hear something on Monday. They will have to restructure some contracts, so if you start to see news about restructures to Diggs and Allen, they are probably matching the deal. Hopefully not though because Patrick and Bates are an upgrade over Mustipher and Daniels, especially in this system. 

Bates has little tape( 400 snaps) but 1 penalty, no sacks. Daniels was above average but not a nasty attitude that Poles likes. We will see who ends up the better player.  People said we went after Brian Allen with more money offered. I wonder if he still would have tried to get Patrick to play RG, or he was the backup plan?

2 hours ago, McGowan said:

Anyone up for trading 6th rounders for Laviska Shenault and Denzel Mims? 

Why are they available?  IIRC Shenault was a pretty good athlete and had a fair amount of draft chatter about his potential.  There are either injury concerns or he can't learn how to run routes neither of which interest me.   

On 3/26/2022 at 8:41 AM, Stinger226 said:

I'd love to see that breakdown per team. I'm guessing the worse teams have higher numbers, and the great teams have lower numbers, thus creating a misleading average.

3 hours ago, jason said:

I'd love to see that breakdown per team. I'm guessing the worse teams have higher numbers, and the great teams have lower numbers, thus creating a misleading average.

I suspect this includes practice squad players and with the increased size of that NFL (16 now?) that's not too hard to hit.  That's 21 players out of 69 rostered.  Perhaps good teams have less but I expect they struggle to keep drafted players stashed on the practice squad.  They also tend to have less cap space making them more likely to seek lower cost solutions for the bottom of their roster.  We might be ok to pay DHC $1.7mil/yr to play special teams.  The Rams might have no choice but to spend $500k-$700k on a UDFA, or former UDFA for that role.    

17 hours ago, McGowan said:

Anyone up for trading 6th rounders for Laviska Shenault and Denzel Mims? 

Shenault is interesting (his production hasn't been that bad in 2 years). Mims though, his production is completely non-existent so don't even think a 6th rounder would work. Would need to be like a 7th and it should be conditional.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Looks like Bates is staying in Buffalo.  

Time to move to the next option. It sucks but the Bears had little control here unless they were going to over pay, which is the last thing we want them to do. 

Peace

3 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

Time to move to the next option. It sucks but the Bears had little control here unless they were going to over pay, which is the last thing we want them to do. 

Peace

agree. we'd love Poles to swoop in and make big wins, but in this case, either other teams would lose big (not likely to happen), or we'd overpay, and we have all agreed that poles is right to stay disciplined and build through the draft.

I cant speak for all Bears fans here, but at least among the thoughtful on this board (all of us) we have patience to do this the right way, and there is no pressure to try to win now with the current roster and overpaid free agents.

He surely has a year or two grace period, and as long as we see improvement, I think he will be supported by the fan base.