Free agency begins

Stinger226

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting till after draft, at least on the LT position, kinda scares me. 

I really hope they can snag Brown or Fisher here in the next few weeks. I kinda like the OT from Ohio State and he should be there, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing we won't have to rely on a rookie left tackle.....unless most of the world is wrong on Jenkins to the left side. 

I feel like the bears would lose leverage in talks for Brown/Fisher if we HAVE to have them post draft. 

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I thought they would have brought in a couple more FAs since camp starts today.

Agree. It's baffling to me. They can't be content with the team as is.

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

Waiting till after draft, at least on the LT position, kinda scares me. 

I really hope they can snag Brown or Fisher here in the next few weeks. I kinda like the OT from Ohio State and he should be there, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing we won't have to rely on a rookie left tackle.....unless most of the world is wrong on Jenkins to the left side. 

I feel like the bears would lose leverage in talks for Brown/Fisher if we HAVE to have them post draft. 

Agree. Too early and you overpay. Wait until after camp starts and you have a learning curve. Wait until after the draft - assuming a LT isn't drafted - and you lose leverage. This timeframe right now feels like a real sweet spot since camps are starting and the first few waves of FA have passed over.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:20 AM, Mongo3451 said:

Experience and physical traits matter and not just a little.  He's proven to be a good player, in college, on the right side.  We didn't trade up for to be a project.  Remember, we were the only scouting dept in the entire NFL to have him rated as an LT.

This why I'm hoping for him to be a stud.  The length is primarily for speed rushers, like Quinn, who uses his quickness, length and hip dip to get around the back.  Sometimes those extra inches are the difference in whether your opponent gets his hands on you or not.  Unless you are Tua, the LT matters for the QB.  Blindside hits are a turnover or injury waiting to happen.

My only question on Tevin Jenkins was his health last year. I love his attitude and think he is a beast!  With a little more technical refinement and experience he will be a LT the Bears haven’t had in a long while.  If Borom ends up kicking inside to G and can become a swing tackle at worst case then I’m okay with that too.  

Last Year Pace finally addressed the draft the right way, QB and 2 OL.  As an organization the Bears have alway managed to neglect these positions early in the draft.  Hopefully at least Jenkins and Fields go in the be perennial All Pros.  

Was listening to Kiper this morning.  He said this draft is loaded at WR.  He predicts 25 receivers to be drafted in the first three rounds.  All with starting 1, 2 or 3 grades.

McShay has us drafting LT Tyler Smith from Tulsa.  Jurko broke him down on film and said he's a nasty run blocker that needs to refine some of his pass pro technique and is pure upside.

With that being said, how's LT, WR, WR look?

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Was listening to Kiper this morning.  He said this draft is loaded at WR.  He predicts 25 receivers to be drafted in the first three rounds.  All with starting 1, 2 or 3 grades.

McShay has us drafting LT Tyler Smith from Tulsa.  Jurko broke him down on film and said he's a nasty run blocker that needs to refine some of his pass pro technique and is pure upside.

How do Smith and Jenkins compare?   I'd like both on my line.  I was thinking Smith  projected out as a Guard.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

How do Smith and Jenkins compare?   I'd like both on my line.  I was thinking Smith  projected out as a Guard.

He's a true left tackle.  He has the all the prototypical size and tools to be great.  He's young, therefore raw.  Nasty run blocker with attitude.  He and Jenkins would be bookend tackles.  Watch him on YouTube...  

I'm not sure any OTs in our range to get can start day one. There's a handful of IOL , hope we get one of them.  Green....Z Johnson...Linderbaum...Jurgens.... Salyer.... Strange

Ideal scenario is someone drops, Green? I would say grab a WR   Watson at 2a, Trade back with 2b get an extra 3rd, grab a S  Nick Cross or DL  Logan Hall  . At 71 grab Cole Strange, 5 a Zack Tom/OT and a CB, Castro-Fields. In 6,  LB Mike Rose. I used GBNReport big board for player value.

13 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Yes please.

11 hours ago, jason said:

Yes please.

On most of my mocks lately I've been going with some combination of OT/WR/OG (sometimes a 3-tech DT falls to us) with the order being determined by best available at each pick.  I prefer that over using 2 of 3 day 2 picks on WR.   If we add another rookie WR I prefer to use a late day 3 pick to fill out the room or else a cheap FA vet who is already proven good on special teams.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

On most of my mocks lately I've been going with some combination of OT/WR/OG (sometimes a 3-tech DT falls to us) with the order being determined by best available at each pick.  I prefer that over using 2 of 3 day 2 picks on WR.   If we add another rookie WR I prefer to use a late day 3 pick to fill out the room or else a cheap FA vet who is already proven good on special teams.  

I'm with you. I want all my day 2 picks to be day one starters and play a big roll on the team right away. Pringle is not a household name because of who he was behind in KC, but I think he's a legit top 3 WR on this team and should get the playing time as so. 

In an ideal world they add Brown/Fisher, one of the DTs fall, the take him, grab the best WR available with the next pick, and then the best interior lineman in the 3rd. 

4 hours ago, scs787 said:

Pringle is not a household name because of who he was behind in KC, but I think he's a legit top 3 WR on this team and should get the playing time as so. 

I do think we got a good ascending player in Pringle.  With him slated playing slot,  Mooney plays Z,  we still need a go to X. Players in draft that fit a outside bigger target are NDS Christian Watson and UG George Pickens.   I think St Brown was also brought in for this position. 

5 hours ago, scs787 said:

I'm with you. I want all my day 2 picks to be day one starters and play a big roll on the team right away. Pringle is not a household name because of who he was behind in KC, but I think he's a legit top 3 WR on this team and should get the playing time as so. 

In an ideal world they add Brown/Fisher, one of the DTs fall, the take him, grab the best WR available with the next pick, and then the best interior lineman in the 3rd. 

Good plan.

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I do think we got a good ascending player in Pringle.  With him slated playing slot,  Mooney plays Z,  we still need a go to X. Players in draft that fit a outside bigger target are NDS Christian Watson and UG George Pickens.   I think St Brown was also brought in for this position. 

Alec Pierce is my guy. I think he's gonna be the best of the 2nd round guys. 

I'd look to grab another WR in the 5th, just because the depth is there in this draft, and then you have St. Brown, Dazz, and the 5th rounder to fill out the WR room. 

32 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I'd look to grab another WR in the 5th, just because the depth is there in this draft, and then you have St. Brown, Dazz, and the 5th rounder to fill out the WR room. 

To be honest, I have no problem with Pierce, Pickens, or Watson as first WR drafted. I would love #2 to be Skyy Moore, Clavin Austin or Shakir. Bo Melton also.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Be patient they say, I no like.

Finally.  They sign Tavon Young / CB    played NB good player 5'9 

They sign  Ryan Griffin/TE.  27 rec. 2 Ts for Jets.

I think I prefer Cruikshank over Young.  He seems to be more athletic but we have two experienced NB DBs on 1yr deals fighting for a starting role and new contract.  Let's see what happens.  

Griffin seems like a good depth player.  1yr $2.26mil seems like a lot for a guy with 27 rec last year but Poles clearly is willing to pay more for his depth pieces this year so he more flexibility next year.  He just waited until 3rd tier in FA to do that.  

2 hours ago, scs787 said:

Here's some film breakdown on Pierce against ND and Alabama.  

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I think I prefer Cruikshank over Young.  He seems to be more athletic but we have two experienced NB DBs on 1yr deals fighting for a starting role and new contract.  Let's see what happens.  

Griffin seems like a good depth player.  1yr $2.26mil seems like a lot for a guy with 27 rec last year but Poles clearly is willing to pay more for his depth pieces this year so he more flexibility next year.  He just waited until 3rd tier in FA to do that.  

I think Cruikshank wins competition but may have him at SS and Young at NB. The more bodies, the better.