Free agency begins

Stinger226

35 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

We will see.  I remember all the strike outs Pace had to when trying to fill out the roster with 2nd and 3rd wavers.

We have to give him a pass this year because he is working with a few nickles left over from Pace.  Next year he will have a ton of cap and a full draft deck. 

I like he takes chances on players that may have some upside. Short and cheap contracts is where you want them risks.  If he hits 50/50 or one out of three to add core players win win. He knows the draft is where you find your studs. Hopefully he's good at that. Between Pringle-St Brown- Moore if one becomes a #2 type, we win. Or all contribute! That would awesome.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this is real but Ogunjobi posted a picture of him working out at a Bear's facility on Instagram. If true he'll be back here. There letting him rehab until he can past a physical. Since t noticed so did everyone else, lots of Twitter talk about it. Also read where he hasn't visited any other teams since he flunked the physical. He's coming back here. I suspect they do a similar contract tied to games played or close to that. This would change our early draft strategy. Or maybe target Logan Hall that can play both DE and 3T.

20220424_085911.jpg

55 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Don't know if this is real but Ogunjobi posted a picture of him working out at a Bear's facility on Instagram. If true he'll be back here. There letting him rehab until he can past a physical. Since t noticed so did everyone else, lots of Twitter talk about it. Also read where he hasn't visited any other teams since he flunked the physical. He's coming back here. I suspect they do a similar contract tied to games played or close to that. This would change our early draft strategy. Or maybe target Logan Hall that can play both DE and 3T.

20220424_085911.jpg

It is sadly, debunked. Hes at Columbus High School in Miami.

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 6:38 AM, adam said:

For WR, they should grab Tajae Sharpe and Adam Humphries. Other options: DeAndre Carter, Kenny Stills, Keelan Cole, or even Damiere Byrd. 

At LB, sign Kitchens and Kyzir White and consider Kwiatkoski as a rotational LB.

At S, Terrell Edmunds, Tartt, or Neal.

For IDL,  sign Jonathan Hankins and/or Danny Shelton.

At CB, look at Moreau, Nelson, or Xavier Rhodes. 

We got Sharpe. Now let's get a few more vets at IDL, OG, and LB and we will be good to go. 

Tajae Sharpe is some reasonable competition for a roster spot.  Pettis I"m not too interested in but we have to see.  We need some WRs for camp and this adds competition for those last 1 or 2 roster spots.  Sharpe ran a 4.55 forty at the combine so he's not a speed merchant but having players who have run NFL routes before certainly helps in camp, especially if there is an injury.  

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Tajae Sharpe is some reasonable competition for a roster spot.  Pettis I"m not too interested in but we have to see.  We need some WRs for camp and this adds competition for those last 1 or 2 roster spots.  Sharpe ran a 4.55 forty at the combine so he's not a speed merchant but having players who have run NFL routes before certainly helps in camp, especially if there is an injury.  

Sharpe had a lot of good advanced metric stats like comp% when targeted, etc. Out of all the original FA WRs, he was one of the 4-5 guys I liked from an age, potential, price standpoint. So I am glad they got him. Comparing the WR rooms from last year to this year, they are very comparable, if not better this year based on potential:

Robinson, Mooney, Goodwin, Byrd, Newsome > Mooney, Pringle, Sharpe, Jones, Moore/Pettis/St. Brown/Newsome

St. Brown was good enough to stay on the GB roster all year and was their WR5. He may not even make the opening day roster or will at least have to battle for WR5 with Moore, Pettis and Newsome. 

Sharpe played in more percentage of snaps for the Falcons than Goodwin did for the Bears. Interesting to see Byrd on the Falcons now and Sharpe on the Bears. Pace signing all his old players.

Best Seasons from new WRs:

Pringle 42-568, 5 TD
Sharpe 41-522, 2 TD
Pettis 27-467, 5 TD
Moore 35-417, 6 TD
St. Brown 21-328, 0 TD

All of these guys have been WR3-5s, so it will be interesting to see what they can do with more targets and snaps.

I think Pringle has the bests chance to be a #2 type of WR. Just watch tape and you can see some good traits. People say he never showed much and that's why he never stood out in KC. When you have T. Hill in front of you on the depth chart, odds of getting lots of snaps are limited. Kelce and Hill had 293 targets between them. I actually think he could have a breakout type of year. Playing the slot in this offense may draw more targets than the Y WR position. If they put Velus Jones in the slot that will change the target chances. Pettis is interesting, he has 4.32 speed and had 17.3 yds per catch his first year in the league. The next year they drafted Deebo Samuel . Deebo and Kittle are the only two WRs that had  a large target share. Pettis has some nagging injuries and got lost in transition. Pettis was a second round pick and still has upside potential. This list while have someone step up, they all have had contributions in a limited role. I think this is a sneaky good group of WRs and will prove itself this year. 

Jasper Horsted is back and  then put him on the injury unable to perform list. 

The fact they havent signed any more  OL , does than mean they are satisficed with  the competition they  have there?  I would think they would sign one more vet OT. They have Davenport , so the only upgrade over him would be Brown or Fisher, otherwise its a side step. What I would like to see is they sign J C Treeter and move Patrick to RG.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The fact they havent signed any more  OL , does than mean they are satisficed with  the competition they  have there?  I would think they would sign one more vet OT. They have Davenport , so the only upgrade over him would be Brown or Fisher, otherwise its a side step. What I would like to see is they sign J C Treeter and move Patrick to RG.

Ehhh, until Brown and Fisher sign, I still think the bears land one. I'd love Trettor but I think they love the fact that Patrick knows the offense and I think they wanna keep him there.

51 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Ehhh, until Brown and Fisher sign, I still think the bears land one. I'd love Trettor but I think they love the fact that Patrick knows the offense and I think they wanna keep him there.

Both of those guys must be wanting mercenary money and teams aren't seeing the production.  I wonder if Flus and Poles don't want to have bandaid contracts.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:57 AM, adam said:

Sharpe had a lot of good advanced metric stats like comp% when targeted, etc. Out of all the original FA WRs, he was one of the 4-5 guys I liked from an age, potential, price standpoint. So I am glad they got him. Comparing the WR rooms from last year to this year, they are very comparable, if not better this year based on potential:

Robinson, Mooney, Goodwin, Byrd, Newsome > Mooney, Pringle, Sharpe, Jones, Moore/Pettis/St. Brown/Newsome

St. Brown was good enough to stay on the GB roster all year and was their WR5. He may not even make the opening day roster or will at least have to battle for WR5 with Moore, Pettis and Newsome. 

Sharpe played in more percentage of snaps for the Falcons than Goodwin did for the Bears. Interesting to see Byrd on the Falcons now and Sharpe on the Bears. Pace signing all his old players.

Best Seasons from new WRs:

Pringle 42-568, 5 TD
Sharpe 41-522, 2 TD
Pettis 27-467, 5 TD
Moore 35-417, 6 TD
St. Brown 21-328, 0 TD

All of these guys have been WR3-5s, so it will be interesting to see what they can do with more targets and snaps.

So I love your optimism. But Sharpe has been in the league for a # of years and in the last 2 years combined put up 230 yards (was on Vikings and couldn't make team / ended up out of the league in 2020; had 25 catches with Falcons who literally had ZERO wideouts). Sharpe had a great rookie year with the Titans - than got hurt - and has never been anything but lousy.  

Moore is probably the most experienced who has largely been a solid #4 in most places he was. Pringle is fine and can block and Pettis is training camp fodder while St. Brown at least knows the system.  But in general - outside of Pringle who definitely has some potential - but even than - I don't have a high bar for him - there isn't a lot there and I expect Newsome/Velus/Moore to be the guys not named Mooney/Pringle who get most of the opportunity to shine/get reps.  St. Brown too - cause he has familiarity with Getsy.  

I agree familiarity with Getsy likely gets St Brown the first crack at X.  We'll see how they line up in OTAs but then we'll see what changes happen when training camp starts.   If Velus, who is not a great route runner, passes him up quickly that's not a good sign we can expect anything at all from St. Brown.  

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

They obviously see some potential with him but did this to clear up a 90-man roster spot for training camp.  That's good so we can evaluate one more player.  

I'm still not sure there will be a "Traditional" X WR and I'm not sure that's really the worst thing KC showed us that it isn't really necessary to have that big bodied WR out there. I hope Velus gets some serious rub and gets to show us what he can do. I love the speed the WR group has. 

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I agree familiarity with Getsy likely gets St Brown the first crack at X.  We'll see how they line up in OTAs but then we'll see what changes happen when training camp starts.   If Velus, who is not a great route runner, passes him up quickly that's not a good sign we can expect anything at all from St. Brown.  

Jones will get some go routes but will be mainly in the slot position. St Brown is the X but Sharpe may take some snaps away. Due to the speed of Pettis, he will get some deep routes also. If you look at Ourlads website they list the current depth chart and current roster.

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

If Velus, who is not a great route runner, passes him up quickly that's not a good sign we can expect anything at all from St. Brown.  

The route running statement doesn't sound good.  If he's 25 and not a good route runner, what's the deal?  I'm going to have to dig into some footage and scouting now to see if there is an issue.

Some of the footage I’ve seen on Jones is that he’s a bit sloppy on his routes.  Admittedly I didn’t see a lot of film but then again I’m no NFL level scout either.

Since we’re on the subject, I’m trying to figure out if it came down between Jones and Newsome making the roster, who wins?  Jones’ stats seem to mostly focus on his return yards whereas Newsome played WR all four years (at the same school) with one of them (his Junior year) being more than 1,000 yards.  Jones’ best year garnered him just over 800 yards receiving last year.  Jones has the edge on the 40 time so maybe that comes into play? 

19 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

The route running statement doesn't sound good.  If he's 25 and not a good route runner, what's the deal?  I'm going to have to dig into some footage and scouting now to see if there is an issue.

He ran a limited route tree in college, pretty much like all of the drafted WRs, even some of those that went in the first round (or Christian Watson).  Doesn't mean he can't be effective since most rookie WRs start out the same way.  Regardless, his YAC ability might make him the better slot option but I think long term he lines up in a variety of spots and we force the defense to sort out how they want to cover him.   There aren't many NB who can stay with Velus 20 yd downfield or even on a drag route across the field.   

3 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

He ran a limited route tree in college, pretty much like all of the drafted WRs, even some of those that went in the first round (or Christian Watson).  Doesn't mean he can't be effective since most rookie WRs start out the same way.  Regardless, his YAC ability might make him the better slot option but I think long term he lines up in a variety of spots and we force the defense to sort out how they want to cover him.   There aren't many NB who can stay with Velus 20 yd downfield or even on a drag route across the field.   

Been reading since I posted.  So he runs with choppy steps, rounds his cuts and has poor footwork at the top of his route.  Plays slower than speed indicates during route and shows elite speed with ball in hand.  All the knocks are a hindrance on separation, especially at the NFL level.  However, all of the Deebo and Tyreek type plays are unencumbered, so it's go time...

36 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Some of the footage I’ve seen on Jones is that he’s a bit sloppy on his routes.  Admittedly I didn’t see a lot of film but then again I’m no NFL level scout either.

Since we’re on the subject, I’m trying to figure out if it came down between Jones and Newsome making the roster, who wins?  Jones’ stats seem to mostly focus on his return yards whereas Newsome played WR all four years (at the same school) with one of them (his Junior year) being more than 1,000 yards.  Jones’ best year garnered him just over 800 yards receiving last year.  Jones has the edge on the 40 time so maybe that comes into play? 

If he's even he's leavin' and so I'm taking Velus on this one.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Since we’re on the subject, I’m trying to figure out if it came down between Jones and Newsome making the roster, who wins?

Newsome was drafted by a guy not named Poles, so there's that in a nutshell.  Seriously, they aren't physically close in comparison.  Poles took a gamble and drafted a guy that can hopefully loosen things up for Fields.  Who knows if he's good, but if anyone is staying, it's Velus.